Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 13.13 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Colin Wilson
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 22nd 06, 12:09 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 45
Posted By Colin Wilson
About Spam

...and munged / third party web links to enable tracking BANNED ENTIRELY
- or at least for any site that requires you to log in or sells a
financial service of some kind.
Nice idea, but...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 21st 06, 12:00 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 45
Posted By Colin Wilson
About Spam

blocking any non-text email would be another tactic. Back to basics -
email for mail and FTP for file transfers :-)

....and munged / third party web links to enable tracking BANNED ENTIRELY
-...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 20th 06, 11:07 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Colin Wilson
Who else is getting the nonsense poetry emails?

For about a month now, the latest spam that I'm getting are these
nonsensical poetry emails.

If you want to look at mailwasher (as suggested by another respondant)
i've got some of my filters...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 19th 06, 01:40 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 14
Posted By Colin Wilson
Pipex broadband

Once the DD has gone through it's almost impossible to get it back from
a large company.

I thought under the direct debit guarantee scheme you got it back from
the bank - retrieving it from...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 15th 06, 12:27 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Posted By Colin Wilson
Plusnet 'Bad Boy Pipe' - Revisited

It is not clear how far these restrictions go, as Plusnet have not made it
clear, nor do users know whether they are one of the 6% or not, as Plusnet
have not officially informed...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 15th 06, 12:12 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 10
Posted By Colin Wilson
Best 'true' unlimited BB

What is the best unlimited broadband package at the moment?
I'm currently with Virgin.net, but have been told by them to reduce my
useage.

What sort of quantity of data traffic are you using...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 10th 06, 07:12 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Colin Wilson
blueyonder and the throttling

And to now start chargin customers for an itemised bill.
What are you thinkin?!

I'd be tempted to hit them with a subject access request under the data
protection act once a year - 10 a year...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 4th 06, 11:06 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 14
Posted By Colin Wilson
Strange broadband problem: email fine but web pages are slow and have no pictures

I've tested the PC on my DSL line, both using the customer's modem and my
router, and everything works perfectly.
I've tested my router on his line and the symptoms are as described...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 25th 06, 11:38 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Colin Wilson
Cable Modem Power Supply Needed

Hello Blueyonder Technical Support. I have a Motorola surfboard 5101e cable
modem. I am in need of a new Power Supply Unit as mine is now defunct. Can
you advise on a replacement please...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 21st 06, 10:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Colin Wilson
Need advice following a change of ISP from PLUSNET to BT.

I too "upgraded" to ADSL Max with PlusNet. Modem syncs @ ~3700kbps but
actual download speed is practically the same as before. Not measured upload
speed.

One of my colleagues swapped to...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 20th 06, 10:10 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Colin Wilson
Need advice following a change of ISP from PLUSNET to BT.

my speed never seems to go above about 1.6MB. When I
signed up, the line test said I would get at least 5MB

Imagine RADSL like this...

You're sat in a top spec BMW easily capable of 150mph, and...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 11th 06, 01:24 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 27
Posted By Colin Wilson
Domain with catch-all forwarding

We are with 123-reg and get upwards of 600 spams a day (increasing
steadily) due to the catch-all. I now have it set to send all the
permutations to a email address that we never bother...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 9th 06, 11:39 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 27
Posted By Colin Wilson
Domain with catch-all forwarding

Yes, I was thinking of them but... any comments on this?
http://avoid123reg.mydisk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3

Yes - when Pipex (who own them) changed their hosting (around that time
actually)...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 9th 06, 08:44 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

The thing is, how do you know if anti-virus software is any good,
until it misses something?

You run one-off scans every once in a while with something like Sysclean
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 9th 06, 03:41 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

My virus definitions are updated daily, sometimes more often.

Have they started to do more than the occasional "panic" release of the
virus sigs now - it only used be to be a weekly event...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 8th 06, 02:26 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

DON'T run two anti-virus products at the same time!
Why?

Try it - it might stop you posting until you reinstall :-}

It can seriously fook with the OS and prevent it from running properly
if...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 7th 06, 11:08 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

32 were spyware. 3 real virii.

Were the sigs up to date ? - i'm wondering if the malware had managed to
bork the connection to the update server...

Anyway, if you haven't got tcp/ip working yet,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 6th 06, 01:20 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

Hmm, I don't really want to start an argument, but I've been using Norton
since the days of DOS and I've never had a problem with it.

The last time I installed Norton I got all nostalgic for...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 5th 06, 07:47 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

I believe BT bundle Norton ... probably the best and most efficient
virus ever written
...Once upon a time - it went downhill rapidly around 1998-1999 IIRC.
Try reading it again, it...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 5th 06, 06:03 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

I believe BT bundle Norton ... probably the best and most efficient virus
ever written

....Once upon a time - it went downhill rapidly around 1998-1999 IIRC.
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 5th 06, 04:48 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

Same here running on four XP machines, and about the same number for friends
and family. Very happy with it, though mail scanning does seem to slow
things down a bit.

I'll second the email...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 5th 06, 04:46 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

I use Avira now,
I used to use it before it became 'Avira'. I found that it slowed down
defrags *drastically*. Not a major issue, but it is the only AV that
has done it.

I don't think i've...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 5th 06, 01:06 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 94
Posted By Colin Wilson
anitivirus software

I'm after antivirus software and just wondered what's best with regards
to free downloads or buying of the shelf everyone's got there own opinion
would just like to hear it..
I'm...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 31st 06, 01:04 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Posted By Colin Wilson
HARASSMENT FROM TOUCAN CALL CENTRE

I liked the wind up:-
"I'm detective inspector xyz investigating a homicide,

I just posted direct links to the mp3 and the text - see my other reply
:-)
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 31st 06, 12:53 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Posted By Colin Wilson
HARASSMENT FROM TOUCAN CALL CENTRE

Try this .... http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/
Don't bother... Full of nasty little popups.

Not a single popup here (using Firefox *or* IE) - do you get them on any
other sites ? -...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100