Showing results 1 to 25 of 37
Search took 0.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Henry Law
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 17th 17, 09:04 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 17
Posted By Henry Law
How many subnets in a typical McDonalds?

On 17/07/17 19:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Why did I agree to help?

We were all too polite to say that ...

--
Henry Law n e w s @ l a w s h o u s e . o r g
Manchester, England
Replies: 17
Posted By Henry Law
How many subnets in a typical McDonalds?

On 16/07/17 22:08, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
If I wander in there with n devices connected to their wifi, can the
interfaces talk to each other as well as the net?

I'm hoping the answer is...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) July 11th 17, 05:10 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 6
Posted By Henry Law
Newbie confusion over too many DHCP server and firewalls

On 11/07/17 14:53, Richard Treen wrote:
I've tried it turned off and turned on and it makes no immediate
difference to internet access quality or speed. I don't know if
there'll be other,...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) July 11th 17, 02:07 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 6
Posted By Henry Law
Newbie confusion over too many DHCP server and firewalls

On 11/07/17 09:27, Richard Treen (aka Mike Halmarack) wrote:
So, I'm less than 100% sure whether the DHCP server which is enabled
by default on the modem, is necessary for modem purposes, or is...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) July 11th 17, 07:26 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 6
Posted By Henry Law
Newbie confusion over too many DHCP server and firewalls

On 10/07/17 10:48, Richard Treen wrote:
Is it important to have so many, or is it reasonable to turn the modem
ones off and let the router handle these things?

It's certainly unnecessary (and...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) May 7th 17, 06:27 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 6
Posted By Henry Law
Help with lack of connectivity in network.

On 07/05/17 16:18, Rob Morley wrote:
I was under the impression that the same people who post there also
watch some of the moribund UK groups, and will respond to the
occasional post in...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) May 7th 17, 02:51 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 6
Posted By Henry Law
Help with lack of connectivity in network.

On 07/05/17 14:50, Henry Law wrote:
one of the few groups

s /few/few active/

--
Henry Law n e w s @ l a w s h o u s e . o r g
Manchester, England
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) May 7th 17, 02:50 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 6
Posted By Henry Law
Help with lack of connectivity in network.

On 07/05/17 11:56, Flyi�g �u� 2��7 + on desktop wrote:
Panic ove

Glad you fixed it; sometimes raising the problem in a forum brings
stellar alignments to bear and the problem fixes...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) February 2nd 16, 07:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.ip6,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 2
Posted By Henry Law
Using 'n' router/modem as access point on existing network?

On 02/02/16 05:10, DaveC wrote:
Can the SR350N perform access-point duty?

The user manual that I found
http://setuprouter.com/router/smartrg/sr350n/manual-1241.pdf talks about
a WDS mode, in...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) July 9th 15, 11:38 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 9
Posted By Henry Law
Network Security and Hardware

On 09/07/15 22:07, Nigel wrote:
I'm going to do something that USENET will have never witnessed
previously; I apologise!

Goodness; the gravity of your offence hardly warranted that ...

- I...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) July 9th 15, 01:07 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 9
Posted By Henry Law
Network Security and Hardware

On 08/07/15 17:55, Nigel wrote:
What a load of neo-liberal, yankee crotch-rot. If you honestly feel this,
you haven't thought it through.

Quite so. I ought to learn not to make ironic USENET...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) July 8th 15, 04:40 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 9
Posted By Henry Law
Network Security and Hardware

On 08/07/15 14:24, Nigel wrote:
find most troubling
is the meta data collection by governments and commercial organisations

Well, "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear". ...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) May 13th 15, 07:18 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 3
Posted By Henry Law
Linux IP routing: help

On 13/05/15 01:20, wrote:
I have two access to internet..

I have a LAN 192.168.0.0/24 but, the IP 192.168.0.2 only I need to out for the other conection.

Not sure I understand...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) December 3rd 14, 10:11 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 10
Posted By Henry Law
Port works with some devices, not others: help to diagnose/fix?

Thanks again for this, Chris.

On 03/12/14 21:33, wrote:
No, I meant if you connect a computer at the switch end of the cable
in the socket where the 'bad' cable is (instead of the...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) December 3rd 14, 06:38 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 10
Posted By Henry Law
Port works with some devices, not others: help to diagnose/fix?

On 03/12/14 13:08, Henry Law wrote:
Now what?

Excellent comments so far.

Chris Green wrote, and Rob Morley echoed the same thought:
The scrambled connections will slow it down unless they're...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) December 3rd 14, 01:08 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 10
Posted By Henry Law
Port works with some devices, not others: help to diagnose/fix?

I have a strange network problem at the charity for which I am
IT-chief-cook-and-bottle-washer. I'd like the group's opinion on
whether I've diagnosed it correctly, whether there's anything I've...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) June 16th 14, 11:22 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 7
Posted By Henry Law
Wireless range extenders

On 16/06/14 19:00, Simon Finnigan wrote:
OR share a wife connection

Too much detail for this newsgroup ...

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) April 28th 14, 01:55 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On 27/04/14 10:24, wrote:
That sounds as if it should be compatible

Swapped it in this morning, access point has blinking lights and works.
Thanks to all.

--

Henry Law ...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) April 27th 14, 09:10 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 9
Posted By Henry Law
Testing Power over Ethernet?

On 26/04/14 08:59, wrote:
The ZyXel POE-12 stuff appears to be "IEEE 802.3af and IEEE 802.3at
Power over Ethernet (PoE) standards compliant" so will be 44 volts or
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) April 26th 14, 07:26 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 9
Posted By Henry Law
Testing Power over Ethernet?

On 25/04/14 17:39, wrote:
It depends really whether the OP's system is "proper professional" one
(e.g. Cisco or some such) which goes with the standards and thus is 44
volts or is a...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) April 23rd 14, 06:51 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 9
Posted By Henry Law
Testing Power over Ethernet?

[Apologies; I meant to post this here originally and posted by mistake
to u.c.homebuilt, so this is a duplicate post and not cross-posted. I
undertake to do penance in front of the Internet gods...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) March 19th 14, 06:02 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 2
Posted By Henry Law
VLANs for separating two WLAN networks.

On 19/03/14 17:46, Henry Law wrote:
I get away with just one DHCP server

Should have checked this before I posted.

The WAP has a DHCP server which can be enabled. So it could serve out a
bunch...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) March 19th 14, 05:46 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 2
Posted By Henry Law
VLANs for separating two WLAN networks.

I'm feeling my way into VLANs, courtesy of a charity whose IT I have
been asked to "sort out". Can someone help me think things through?

There's a Netgear GS748T which does port-based VLANs, and...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) March 19th 14, 05:30 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 5
Posted By Henry Law
Collecting HOWTOs for a router/AP project

On 19/03/14 15:43, Colin Brough wrote:
Likely installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS when it comes out, and building on
that.

Other people have suggested various lightweight distros; I couldn't
comment on...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) February 9th 14, 09:43 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 8
Posted By Henry Law
Router & PC think I'm connected but no internet....

On 09/02/14 19:59, Endulini wrote:
I think that's the eureka moment, set the router to use 8.8.8.8 and
bingo, full access back

Excellent. Do Dilbert's "Engineer's victory dance" (look it...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 37