Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.09 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 19th 19, 07:28 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Power for a VDSL modem/router.

as a very first approximation, the power consumption of a device
in Watts is its annual running cost in pounds, if left running
24/7.

Currently true for my energy supplier, wanted to leave my...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 18th 19, 01:28 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Power for a VDSL modem/router.

That's a lot! As I have only the TV and PVR (the latter with the
custom firmware), I prefer to run CAT 5 to them.

There are 23 devices on the network according to network watcher,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 17th 19, 07:28 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Power for a VDSL modem/router.

I've been trying to find out the runnining and standby(?) power
of a modem/router for fibre.

My Draytek Vigor 2860 with VDSL with dual band wifi takes about 72mA or 9.4W,
rising to 10W every...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 17th 19, 07:28 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Power for a VDSL modem/router.

Thanks - that gives some idea of the level. I guess that it'd be
lower without wifi on.

Perhaps, but I've got nine wifi devices online, excluding tablets and phones
and several wired devices,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 7th 19, 07:33 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Draytek Vigor 2860 and IPv6

Who is your ISP?

My ISP is Merula, on a par with A&A for technical support, I also have hosted
rack servers in their own premises with IPv6.

But this is not an ISP issue, IPv6 is working to the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 7th 19, 07:33 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Draytek Vigor 2860 and IPv6

Maybe a silly question, but the internal IPv6 box isn't itself
firewalling off the outside ping or connection attempts?

No, the IPv6 web server is accessible from other PCs on the network using...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 6th 19, 07:33 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Draytek Vigor 2860 and IPv6

I then looked in the router config under Firewall-General Setup.
I found a pair of checkboxes "Block routing connections initiated
from WAN [] IPv4 [] IPv6". I had a tick in IPv6, so I...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 6th 19, 01:33 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Draytek Vigor 2860 and IPv6

There seem to be a few people here using Draytek routers, anyone with IPv6?

The Vigor 2860 router is quite happy with outgoing IPv6 over VDSL, but incoming
seems rather more complicated. The...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 18th 18, 07:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 54
5G will let users ditch fixed-line home broadband, says Three

I understand correctly.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-emergency-services-
mobile-communications-programme/emergency-services-network

Sanitised version, not mentioning...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 12th 18, 12:41 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Why choose a smart digital lock?

Smart locks are sure to become every homeowner_s favorite.

Not a Yale smart lock, customers unable to unlock or lock their doors using the
app....
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 5th 18, 04:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
High speed broadband to become a legal right

I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of
long phone lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange.
Will they have a get-out clause like "we don't have to upgrade
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 30th 18, 10:47 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 3
Openreach outage

Is there any way to find out when one has a problem in their area

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

Broadband and phone, we notice the latter less often but it does happen. ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 25th 18, 06:09 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 16
Late in the day

The main reason I have stayed with BT is so that I would be able
to change my ISP on my FTTC connection without any hiccups.
Is this necessary these days? I have had enough of BT and would
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 16th 18, 08:48 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 44
Extending FTTC from a master socket

But going for a filtered faceplate is rather committing yourself
to having the router in one place for ever more

No, my filtered faceplate is on a different floor from the router and...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 30th 18, 03:26 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan

They invariably install a new FTTC cabinet close to the exchange
to cover the nearby residents who are on EO lines and would be
very hacked off if they didn't benefit from the upgrade after...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 30th 18, 03:26 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan

I have observed that the cabs are always shown in
the middle of the relevant postcode area, so that explains the
inaccuracy.

The CodeLook web site says 'The map shows green circles for the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 4th 18, 01:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
PhoneCoop broadband ...

I've just moved to phonecoop FTTC broadband. I've just done a
whois on the fixed IP address I get is it appears to be owned by
TalkTalk.

Many ISPs are using TalkTalk Wholesale to offer...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 26th 17, 01:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 42
BT [Yahoo!] servers screwed yet again

Just amuses me that it is always BT who get all the comments on
coverage whilst their competitors cherry-pick the profitable
areas but seem to get away without getting the same criticism.
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 12th 17, 09:23 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 48
FTTP: New Build Home

In short, will it be possible to have an unlimited connection,
running at FTTC style speeds, at FTTC style priceS ?

All ISPs that resell BT Wholesale should be able to offer identical
service...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 25th 17, 04:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Have BT made a change?

For the number concerned it says 2905m but the cab info is wrong.
Dslchecker says Cab2 but I think it should be Exchange2 which
means the cable run is about right and there is no FTTC.

I...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 11th 17, 09:35 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
For the idly curious. Virgin cable

The figure of eight cable (coax and telephone pairs) is exactly
what links the house to the Virgin street cabinet, it is fibre
between cabinets.

So what's the cable I picked up?...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 8th 17, 03:01 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
Latest Win 10 Upate Breaks S2 Tethering

To connect to the Internet I use a Three Dongle in a USB port; or
a Three S2 phone tethered to a USP port.
Just recently MS has released a massive update for Win 10 - which
I have now done....
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 24th 17, 07:00 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
LLU resellers

Not according to this they don't
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/fibre_optic_broadband/
Read the section 'Fibre-optic broadband in the UK' where it
specifically says that TT and Sky...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 23rd 17, 10:12 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
LLU resellers

Yes, but there are some ISPs who don't have their own equipment
in the exchange - but use LLU equipment anyway.

For example, my ISP offers customers the choice of BT Wholesale
or...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 29th 17, 03:08 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
street cabling query

Around 2000 they also had a System X exchange at New Malden that
was a transit switch for their national network and their
international gateway. They also had a Marconi Intelligent
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100