Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andy Burns[_5_]
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 5th 19, 02:55 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less thanrouter's sync speed?

Martin Brown wrote:

FWIW additional diagnostics doesn't work for me either.
I suspect it doesn't work for anyone any more - BT have FUBARed it.

It's not well, plusnet admit it can give...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 4th 19, 10:45 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less thanrouter's sync speed?

NY wrote:

Today the BT OR engineer found that there was some contact between our
pair and another line's pair

surprised you didn't hear that as crossed-line voices, or hearing ring
signal in...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 1st 19, 03:24 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less thanrouter's sync speed?

NY wrote:

Ping Latency (ms): 22412

if true, that's horrible. but I suspect it's just a meaningless garbage
number from BT

IP profile 1.35 Mbps

which corresponds with 88% of your sync speed.
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 1st 19, 01:04 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less thanrouter's sync speed?

NY wrote:

Speedtest results which were around 1500, dropping to 600 after a broken
line fault and its repair, suggests an incomplete repair.

To me it suggests the IP profile has not (yet) been...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 1st 19, 12:59 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less thanrouter's sync speed?

NY wrote:

Graham J wrote:

The Speedtest result can show up to 88% of the sync speed;

I hadn't realised there was as much overhead as that.

Some (most? all?) ISPs set the IP Profile...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 27th 19, 09:11 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

Note that in the lan zone, option network refers to itself, while in the
wan zone option network refers to the actual interfaces.

It's just that you have a zone and an...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 27th 19, 09:30 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

[email protected]:~# tcpdump -i wlan1 udp port 68 -vv -X

Might you be better off capturing from the br-lan interface, rather than
the wlanX interface that's a member of the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 25th 19, 06:52 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Nick Leverton wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Mon Feb 25 01:05:48 2019 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[16311]:
DHCPDISCOVER(br-lan) 169.254.51.63 00:11:43:44:fe:da
Mon Feb 25 01:05:48 2019 daemon.info...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 25th 19, 05:29 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

enable per-zone firewall logging, and see what shows up

Can't see how to do that

network, firewall, zones, edit, advanced settings, enable logging
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 24th 19, 06:49 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

I do have a couple of problems remaining though ...
nothing else can cross the client bridge either.

Have never needed wifi bridging, so can't comment

It seems to be a...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 23rd 19, 12:41 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
FTTX upgrade? - poor daffodils

Graham J wrote:

I've seen something similar in the rural wilds of the fens, north of
Spalding; an area where there is perhaps one big farm every 5 miles and
no more than 10 houses in...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 22nd 19, 08:03 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Andy Burns wrote:

The stanza for my LTE interface from /etc/config/network

And the output of logread, following an "ifup LTE"

Fri Feb 22 18:54:11 2019 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'LTE' is...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 22nd 19, 07:45 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

I've got my stick working again on an XP PC and when plugged into my
DrayTek (the one with the dead WiFi).* So it looks like the right time
to try it again in the BTHH5a.*...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 22nd 19, 01:21 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

So you do have some form of 3G connection working, if not
satisfactorily?* I'll have another try ...

Don't be too hasty, that seems to have been a...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 22nd 19, 11:31 AM Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 25
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

I would be interested to know if OpenWRT provides support for multiple
WAN IPs ( preferably via GUI ?)

yes it does.
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 21st 19, 03:20 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet disabling all SMTP servers but their own?

Graham. wrote:

"they" have control of the thing with TR-069

If you ask Bob nicely in p.s.c-f (and give the serial number?) it can be
removed from the provisioning system.
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 21st 19, 10:55 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Chronos wrote:

a quick DDG reveals many hair pulling problems
with this dongle if one is trying to use it on anything other than
Windows with the drivers embedded into its virtual CD.

Having...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 19th 19, 11:10 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

but right now I'm worried that ****ing about in OpenWRT has altered the
configuration of the modem in some semi-permament way

Give it an AT&F through minicom.
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 19th 19, 11:08 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Don't be too hasty, that seems to have been a one-off, I've not got it
to work since, not even in the DrayTek or a PC.

Well I've plugged mine into...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 19th 19, 10:54 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

Don't be too hasty, that seems to have been a one-off, I've not got it
to work since, not even in the DrayTek or a PC.

Well I've plugged mine into the HH5a and it hasn't...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 19th 19, 08:49 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

1)*** Why are there two ttyUSBx devices, not one?

Is it:
****?*** One is command/control channel, other is data channel?

I think it's along those lines

Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 19th 19, 07:00 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Java Jive wrote:

Mon Feb 18 13:06:52 2019 daemon.info pppd[2142]: Serial connection
established.
Mon Feb 18 13:06:52 2019 kern.info kernel: [** 37.763727] 3g-wanb:
renamed from ppp0
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 18th 19, 07:04 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet disabling all SMTP servers but their own?

NY wrote:

It should be possible to configure a portable computer (phone, tablet,
laptop) to *one* SMTP server which is accessible on any network -
subject to the normal restriction that you...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 18th 19, 07:02 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet disabling all SMTP servers but their own?

Clive Page wrote:

Not using our outbound mail server? You'll find this useful.

We're about to upgrade the way our emails work, meaning if you currently
send yours through a non-Plusnet...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 18th 19, 10:10 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 72
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Routers

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

I've now discovered that the Huawei E3372 devices come in either an
's' or an 'h' designation

The "Hilink" or "Stick" option I asked about, I...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100