Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.21 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Java Jive
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 18th 19, 03:36 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 27
Posted By Java Jive
the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

On 18/01/2019 14:20, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 18/01/2019 13:47, Java Jive wrote:

On 17/01/2019 15:58, MissRiaElaine wrote:

That can depend on the quality of the connectors. The main...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 18th 19, 02:47 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 27
Posted By Java Jive
the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

On 17/01/2019 15:58, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

A wired connection is fine, but when frequently plugged and unplugged
often liable to damage.

Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 17th 19, 10:34 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers
Replies: 27
Posted By Java Jive
the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

On 17/01/2019 09:14, Chris Green wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 16/01/2019 18:33, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

hi there

I am just wondering what the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 13th 19, 07:42 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Java Jive
Differing speed testing results

On 13/01/2019 18:28, Plusnet Support Team wrote:

It should never return a result hundreds of mbps higher than what my
line can realistically achieve (and it frequently does).

I agree, but I've...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 13th 19, 05:05 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Java Jive
Differing speed testing results

On 13/01/2019 13:40, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 12/01/2019 22:35, Java Jive wrote:
On 12/01/2019 20:48, Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 12/01/2019 19:42, Java Jive wrote:
On 12/01/2019...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 13th 19, 10:36 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Java Jive
Differing speed testing results

On 13/01/2019 08:45, Brighton Rock wrote:

It is not because you are on VM. Unfortunately the current version of
the Openreach test is broken with most browsers. Although some report it
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 12th 19, 11:35 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Java Jive
Differing speed testing results

On 12/01/2019 20:48, Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 12/01/2019 19:42, Java Jive wrote:
On 12/01/2019 18:34, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking I get consistent results from speedtest.net BUT...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 12th 19, 09:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Java Jive
Differing speed testing results

On 12/01/2019 20:01, Woody wrote:

On Sat 12/01/2019 19:42, Java Jive wrote:

For landline connections, you can't do much better than the BT
Wholesale site:
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 12th 19, 08:42 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Java Jive
Differing speed testing results

On 12/01/2019 18:34, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking I get consistent results from speedtest.net BUT there
are other speed testing sites that vary wildly. Whilst I have been
typing this I...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 24th 18, 11:25 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 115
Posted By Java Jive
viable to use 4G instead of fixed line?

On 24/12/2018 19:55, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

I don't think there is anywhere in Great Britain 75 miles up a dirt track, but some small Lincolnshire villages / hamlets didn't get electricity until...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 24th 18, 02:29 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 115
Posted By Java Jive
viable to use 4G instead of fixed line?

On 24/12/2018 12:25, MB wrote:

Some Scottish politicians have been making noises about requiring a
percentage of land mass to be covered.* I wonder what their supporters
would say if they...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 19th 18, 01:18 PM Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 5
Posted By Java Jive
Ofcom report says 4G mobile coverage patchy in Scotland

On 19/12/2018 11:55, MB wrote:
On 19/12/2018 11:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

A report from Ofcom indicates that only 38% of the landmass has good
4G coverage from all...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 19th 18, 12:23 PM Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 5
Posted By Java Jive
Ofcom report says 4G mobile coverage patchy in Scotland

"Mobile phone coverage in Scotland lags behind other parts of the UK,
according to the communications regulator.

A report from Ofcom indicates that only 38% of the landmass has good 4G
coverage...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 17th 18, 02:23 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Java Jive
Half of UK homes could get faster broadband

"One in seven homes could be paying more than they need to for broadband
and could get faster services for the same or less money, Ofcom has said.

New research suggests that half of UK homes have...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 12th 18, 02:02 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 0
Posted By Java Jive
"Broadband customers to get automatic compensation"

"Many customers who experience fixed broadband or landline loss will
soon automatically receive compensation.

The 8-per-day deal follows a new agreement between Openreach and five
of the UK's...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 12th 18, 12:46 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 1
Posted By Java Jive
Streets with UK's slowest and fastest broadband named

"A village street in Bamfurlong, Gloucestershire, has been named as the
slowest for broadband internet, according to an annual survey.

The study said homes on Greenmeadows Park averaged just 0.14...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 7th 18, 12:29 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 206
Posted By Java Jive
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 06/12/2018 23:11, MB wrote:

But the majority of people do not have a need to move large files around.

Perhaps a decade or so ago, but in these days of streaming online
content - YouTube,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 6th 18, 07:51 PM Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 206
Posted By Java Jive
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 06/12/2018 16:22, Frank Slootweg wrote:

As I said, my 3 year old mid-range laptop does *not* have Gigabit
Ethernet. A new comparable laptop - same (major) brand/range and similar
price...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 5th 18, 09:07 PM Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 206
Posted By Java Jive
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 05/12/2018 16:01, NY wrote:

When did Gigabit become standard? Both my Win 7 desktop and my Win 7
laptop have 100 Mbps Ethernet, and the laptop's wifi is only 2.4 GHz and
can't use 5...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 3rd 18, 01:34 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 206
Posted By Java Jive
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 03/12/2018 09:54, Roderick Stewart wrote:

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 22:18:32 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

Nonsense. The moment you have any number of largish files to...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 3rd 18, 09:33 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 206
Posted By Java Jive
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 02/12/2018 23:32, Paul Cummins wrote:
In article , (Java
Jive) wrote:

Find me a common, cheap, domestic xDSL router/switch with...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 2nd 18, 11:18 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 206
Posted By Java Jive
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 02/12/2018 21:58, MB wrote:

On 02/12/2018 15:45, Paul Cummins wrote:

Find me a common, cheap, domestic xDSL router/switch with 1Gbps built in?

It's all marketing, persuading people...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 2nd 18, 06:39 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 206
Posted By Java Jive
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 02/12/2018 15:45, Paul Cummins wrote:

In article , (Java
Jive) wrote:

'Starting' as in nearly a decade or perhaps longer ago.

Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 1st 18, 07:30 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 206
Posted By Java Jive
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 01/12/2018 17:58, Paul Cummins wrote:

In article ,
(nospam) wrote:

its ethernet port is more than likely 100bt instead...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 1st 18, 04:59 PM Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 206
Posted By Java Jive
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 01/12/2018 15:49, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

In message , nospam
writes:

In article ,...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100