Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.16 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: alexd
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) December 9th 06, 10:11 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 9
Posted By alexd
Forcing inbound Codec to G711

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:

At a guess I presume inbound numbers from public PSTN routed from ones
VOIP supplier would be routed on the most economical codec eg G712A/B

What do you...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) December 8th 06, 03:48 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 44
Posted By alexd
What if you *have* to use Skype?

Ivor Jones wrote:

"alexd" wrote in message

As has been pointed out to you on several occasions,
using an ATA with Skype makes little sense, so...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) December 8th 06, 12:11 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 44
Posted By alexd
What if you *have* to use Skype?

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Geoff" wrote in message

Yes, ignore the techie nerds, they arent happy if they
dont have innumerable...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 8th 06, 11:09 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 5
Posted By alexd
IPStream "S"?

Paul Cupis wrote:

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
Until the conversion BT will continue to support
customer's routers on IPStream S (i.e. replace/repair if they go wrong),
afterwards the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 7th 06, 01:37 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 5
Posted By alexd
IPStream "S"?

Had a few letters from Easynet saying that some BT are migrating IPStream S
circuits to IPStream. What is IPStream S?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
13:36:54 up 17...

Chris wrote:

Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
Or is there a better newsgroup?

Skype is VoIP,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 6th 06, 05:33 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Posted By alexd
First customers now on 21CN network

Bill wrote:

Indeed, you can argue that this and other news items which you kindly
retrieve for us may be worth preserving in an archive. Have you
thought of putting this archive up on a...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) December 2nd 06, 10:55 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 4
Posted By alexd
Nokia Communication Suite expands VoIP options

voip_ross wrote:

It does read as if nokia is going to build the system and charge for
it. It says one bill, so maybe it will be a mobile phone provider that
will offer the system. I think...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 30th 06, 02:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 3
Posted By alexd
Nokia really stuck on the fence

andy wrote:

"On one hand Nokia is rolling out services that let phone users make
free calls. Separately, however, it has been offering technology that
can let operators decide to make the...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 29th 06, 03:17 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 34
Posted By alexd
Gradwell -- reliable?

Geoff wrote:

But would anyone want to be associated with anything that Richard (R)
Ashton was connected with?
It put me off straight away

Explanation?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky)...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 28th 06, 12:49 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip

divoch wrote:

"alexd" wrote in message ...
divoch wrote:

Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 27th 06, 08:17 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip

divoch wrote:

"Desk Rabbit" wrote in message

£99 and it only works with one provider. You have got to be mad to buy
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 26th 06, 11:35 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 34
Posted By alexd
Gradwell -- reliable?

news wrote:

I am considering signing up with Gradwell for VoIP, for home/small
business use.

By far the most important criterion for me is RELIABILITY.

So just use a PSTN line then.

In...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 24th 06, 12:22 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 0
Posted By alexd
S0 port on Fritzbox 7050

I notice that certain Friztboxen have an S0 bus port and SIP built into
them, so would it be possible to connect an ISDN TA to it, register one of
these things as an extension on my Asterisk box and...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 23rd 06, 07:43 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 17
Posted By alexd
Advice rqd on initial set-up

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:

xe.com Universal Currency Converter ® Results
Live mid-market rates as of 2006.11.23 09:57:26 UTC.
0.06 EUR Euro = 0.0406402 GBP United Kingdom...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 23rd 06, 06:52 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 47
Posted By alexd
How does this skype thing work ?

Ivor Jones wrote:

"alexd" wrote in message

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

Well Skype isn't that good if you have to have the
computer on...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 22nd 06, 10:15 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 47
Posted By alexd
How does this skype thing work ?

Desk Rabbit wrote:

And routing the calls through completely untrusted systems give me the
heebe-geebees.

So why are you interested in VoIP then?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky)...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 22nd 06, 10:14 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

Well Skype isn't that good if you have to have the computer on :(

You don't have to have the computer on - you can buy a stand-alone Skype
handset.

--
http://ale.cx/...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 21st 06, 10:34 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip

ßødincµs²°°° wrote:

Recently, Brian popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...

|Skype encourages the notion that sharing is good. But behind NAT there
|is no sharing....
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 21st 06, 08:43 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 53
Posted By alexd
What people will do for their love of Skype

ßødincµs²°°° wrote:

Recently, alexd popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...
|ßødincµs²°°° wrote:
|
| Skype is a BIG nuisance and a BIG security hole for every...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 18th 06, 08:49 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 53
Posted By alexd
What people will do for their love of Skype

ßødincµs²°°° wrote:

Skype is a BIG nuisance and a BIG security hole for every network
administrator.

How is Skype a security hole? Surely Skype only exploits existing security
holes in your...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 18th 06, 08:34 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 53
Posted By alexd
What people will do for their love of Skype

Phil Thompson wrote:

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:31:22 GMT, "divoch"
wrote:

Why is it dead end?

why isn't it ? Can you take Skype up a level to an office PABX...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 15th 06, 08:02 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 18
Posted By alexd
Question About Vonage

Herman wrote:

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message

Herman wrote:

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message

And that's...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 14th 06, 10:39 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 34
Posted By alexd
Which service for both BT and voip calls?

Tim wrote:

Ivor Jones wrote:

I love it when people say "£1.99 a month for free calls" ;-)

Its not free. Its un-metered.

But its not really un-metered because of the 1 hour...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 14th 06, 08:45 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 45
Posted By alexd
Vonage is the only one that offers a proper service

divoch wrote:

"Scope" wrote

Im in a NTL area and have dropped my Phoneline, so the only expense I've
got is my Broadband.. In my case VoIP has worked out VERY...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100