Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.30 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Alex Fraser
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 10th 15, 04:50 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Posted By Alex Fraser
Upgrading Broadband Router

On 07/07/2015 23:10, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/07/2015 18:15, Graham J wrote:
[snip]
WiFi performance is usually more dependent on the number and nature of
walls through which the signal must...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 12th 15, 11:38 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Posted By Alex Fraser
Plusnet router

On 12/06/2015 15:10, Graham J wrote:
Can anybody advse whether the "free" router that Plusnet provides to new
customers (for only the cost of P&P) responds to ping from the internet,
and...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 24th 15, 09:34 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Alex Fraser
Sudden speed increase but poor reliability

On 23/02/2015 12:09, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 20/02/2015 17:59, Alex Fraser wrote:
Question 99568466 relates to the modify order failing - though when I
queried it I was advised it did...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 20th 15, 06:59 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Alex Fraser
Sudden speed increase but poor reliability

On 20/02/2015 10:47, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
[snip]
It's relatively trivial for me to submit another SNR reset (I'd just
need some method of identifying your account). It is fairly odd that
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 19th 15, 01:32 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Alex Fraser
Sudden speed increase but poor reliability

Hi,

Recently, my ADSL connection (Plusnet) has become very problematic, but
the symptoms seem unusual, and I wonder whether anyone else has
experienced similar and/or can suggest a cause.

Before...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) May 30th 11, 09:44 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By Alex Fraser
Two wifi routers...

On 29/05/2011 12:23, Philip Herlihy wrote:
"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
[snip]
Having APs configured with the same SSID is absolutely fine...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) May 29th 11, 11:22 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By Alex Fraser
Two wifi routers...

On 26/05/2011 20:29, Philip Herlihy wrote:
"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
On 25/05/2011 12:30, Philip Herlihy wrote:
"Michael Chare"...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) May 25th 11, 10:00 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By Alex Fraser
Two wifi routers...

On 25/05/2011 12:30, Philip Herlihy wrote:

"Michael Chare" [email protected] wrote in message
On 23/05/2011 19:18,...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) November 1st 10, 08:35 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 3
Posted By Alex Fraser
viewing files from different subnet

On 31/10/2010 10:46, nnk wrote:
hi
I have a home network with 4 xboxs each with public i/ps (no nat) and 5
routers/switches seen below

http://www.zen107481.zen.co.uk/nettop3.jpg

all the...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) October 26th 10, 09:26 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 13
Posted By Alex Fraser
Using Wireless and Wired Networks Together

On 24/10/2010 19:21, Jeff Gaines wrote:
I have moved to a house where getting a wire from my modem/router will
be a pain so I'm thinking of going wireless. However I will want a wired
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) February 24th 10, 07:55 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 6
Posted By Alex Fraser
Join 2 networks wirelessly

On 24/02/2010 12:35, Swarfmaker wrote:
I have 2 wireless routers, a Netgear DG834PN modem/router on a BT line and a
Netgear WGR614 router on a VirginMedia cable service.
The DG834PN uses...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) December 2nd 09, 08:20 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 1
Posted By Alex Fraser
Routing

Dave J. wrote:
Would someone be kind enough to satisfy my curiousity here?

I thought that for any destination IP (possibly apart from private IPs
depending on configurations) where there...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) November 29th 09, 11:08 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 16
Posted By Alex Fraser
Can't access router config.

Geoff Mills wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 16:30:14 +0000, Ian Northeast
wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:39:13 +0000, Geoff Mills wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) November 28th 09, 10:04 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 16
Posted By Alex Fraser
Can't access router config.

Geoff Mills wrote:
Thanks all for your help with this. 20 years fiddling with computers
and still the consequences of a minor change will have me floundering.
:-)

I'd reset the computer's...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) November 24th 09, 10:05 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 2
Posted By Alex Fraser
Force network interface in XP

Oldish Git wrote:
Two PCs, both connected via 100Mbps ethernet ports to a 4-port
ADSL modem router for internet access, using DHCP. Both PCs
are also linked by firewire using static IPs. ...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) October 19th 09, 08:27 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 12
Posted By Alex Fraser
How can I connect with WiFi to a computer with ethernet only?

Philip Herlihy wrote:
[snip]
Be aware that many wireless access points can be configured to act as a
bridge,

All wireless access points are a bridge, but in the context of wireless
networking...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) October 12th 09, 07:05 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 11
Posted By Alex Fraser
VNC and port forwarding

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:10:22 +0100, JTM wrote:
I'm away from home a fair bit, but sometimes need to sort out some printing
and other work. So I'm...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) September 17th 09, 06:58 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 19
Posted By Alex Fraser
Run multiple Cat5 cables in single trunking?

Conor wrote:
In article , Geoff Mills
says...
Hi, I have a master socket ADSL faceplate splitter in my garage from
where I run a cat5 cable to...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) September 11th 09, 07:44 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 5
Posted By Alex Fraser
problem with dual network ports

tg wrote:
Windows XP service pack 3
my PC has two network cards. One for general internet access (first port)
and another (second port) for data collection from another device. I have
to...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) August 20th 09, 08:21 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 13
Posted By Alex Fraser
Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

Ric wrote:
If anyone's thinking of buying a Netgear WNHDE111 to give them a wired
bridge to an 802.11n wireless network, then don't. Despite the name,
they only bridge between 2 WNHDE111's -...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 18th 09, 10:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Alex Fraser
Fix for Three fallback to Orange GPRS packet loss

bod43 wrote:
On 18 Aug, 00:29, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
[snip]
I do remember in the early and very congested days of the Internet, we
would try pings with...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) August 9th 09, 10:22 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 22
Posted By Alex Fraser
Advice needed on a home network setup

Conor wrote:
In article , Alex
Fraser says...

You need more than just a switch - you need a router.

Why? The broadband cable modem...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) August 8th 09, 09:33 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 22
Posted By Alex Fraser
Advice needed on a home network setup

Richard Lobb wrote:
I have two computers and a laptop - All HP running XP home or Pro -
all can use the internet by plugging them into the broadband cable
modem separately and switching the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 14th 09, 07:38 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 27
Posted By Alex Fraser
Cheapest port blocking firewall?

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:02:47 UTC, Java Jive wrote:

Running an old computer to serve as a firewall is certainly not the
cheapest in terms of running...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 22nd 09, 07:50 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 1
Posted By Alex Fraser
WE7 data per hour ?

Broadband King wrote:
Looking into USB Broadband, I listen to WE7 music whilst web browsing,
on an hourly basis, how much data am I downloading listening to WE7...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100