Showing results 1 to 25 of 68
Search took 0.06 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Theo[_2_]
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Today, 12:21 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 48
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Any advantage in using private ranges other than 192.168.x.x in NAT router?

Andrew Benham wrote:
I guess if you wanted to you could use NAT with IPv6. My Ubuntu box has
an ip6tables binary which supports the 'nat' table - although the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Yesterday, 05:11 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 48
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Any advantage in using private ranges other than 192.168.x.x in NAT router?

Richard Tobin wrote:
"may also choose not to send you such packets"?

What possible reason could they have for sending such a packet to
*you*? Why would they think...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Yesterday, 04:01 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 48
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Any advantage in using private ranges other than 192.168.x.x in NAT router?

Richard Tobin wrote:
The NAT table effectively acts as a simple firewall in that it rejects
packets not part of a connection it knows about. If you're not doing
NAT...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Yesterday, 03:45 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 48
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Any advantage in using private ranges other than 192.168.x.x in NAT router?

NY wrote:
"Theo" wrote in message
10.0.0.0/8 is 2^24 addresses, or just over 16 million. ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 14th 19, 01:11 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 48
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Any advantage in using private ranges other than 192.168.x.x in NAT router?

Optimist wrote:
Why were 172.16.x.x and 192.168.x.x allocated as private ranges? Surely every routable IP address
can just use 10.x.x.x anyway?

10.0.0.0/8 is 2^24...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) December 10th 18, 11:08 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 9
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Which codec for Betamax \ Dellmont in Siemens A580

Pancho wrote:
I also understand that in theory my Siemens Gigaset may be configurable
to allow direct connections, but when I have tried over the past 10+
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 25th 18, 02:49 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 235
Posted By Theo[_2_]
SOT - RBS customer lost thousands of pounds in scam

Roderick Stewart wrote:
"Alexa, take dictation, save it as a text file and add it to this
patient's notes...".

We have the technology already. It's only a...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 25th 18, 12:00 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Posted By Theo[_2_]
ADSL over FTTP

grinch wrote:
Also in reply to the topic of this tread, I read the BT sin on FTTP and
they present it as Ethernet, so how/why you would want to try to get
adsl...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 14th 18, 04:30 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Posted By Theo[_2_]
ADSL over FTTP

Alfred wrote:
My question is, are there any resellers of those FTTP 'real fiber' networks?
Does Virgin allow resellers?

IFNL, now called OFNL, have a handful of...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 14th 18, 03:13 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Posted By Theo[_2_]
ADSL over FTTP

I'm trying to figure out what is available on a FTTP line.
It's an almost-new-build property which currently has BT FTTP.
Magsys Codelook says for the postcode:

"FTTC Available from 11th January...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 13th 18, 09:59 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 7
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Distinctive Ring Tone for number prefixes

Andrew Benham wrote:
Has anyone got this working, or is it relying on something which doesn't
apply in the UK ?

Is your VOIP provider presenting as 020... or +4420......
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 21st 18, 10:38 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 86
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

bert wrote:
Victims? They're not victims. They are people who have freely entered
into a contract and couldn't be arsed to read it through.

"None of you nowadays will...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 20th 18, 11:30 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 86
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

tim... wrote:
So now I have phone locked to EE

That's fine here because I have an Asda PAYG in it, but it means that it's
useless to me for data abroad if I can't...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 11th 18, 08:44 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 3
Posted By Theo[_2_]
"Mesh" wifi systems

Graham J wrote:
The professional solution to this is to connect each access point by
wire to the LAN, and have a controller on the LAN which manages the
traffic. That...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 18th 18, 12:45 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 30
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Sky routers

DrTeeth wrote:
Hi,

My neighbour has a Sky service. For some reason it looks like he has
two routers/Wi-Fi access points judging by what I see when I use a
program to...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) August 6th 18, 01:52 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 6
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Betamax / Dellmont & BREXIT

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Perhaps they are getting ready for a hard Brexit, although international
telephony is regulated by the ITU (part of the UN) not the EU.

As I...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) August 4th 18, 10:16 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 6
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Betamax / Dellmont & BREXIT

Graham. wrote:

When calling an EU country the price you pay per minute depends on the
CLID of the calling party, those with non EU numbers now pay a premium
on...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) August 2nd 18, 01:00 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 50
Posted By Theo[_2_]
uk.telecom blocked on google groups

In uk.telecom David Woolley wrote:
On 01/08/18 20:39, Andy Burns wrote:
I don't remember seeing any that included actual credit card details,
just "offers"...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 1st 18, 12:50 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Point to point wireless

Woody wrote:
"AnthonyL" wrote in message

When I had a point to point wireless (2.4GHz) approx...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 31st 18, 10:06 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 63
Posted By Theo[_2_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
My A&A 10 pcm "Naked DSL" broadband line can dial through to 999, 111 and
freephone numbers. I am now encouraged to dust off my old...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 30th 18, 12:50 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 2
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Calls via VOIP fail

wrote:
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 10:18:21 UTC+1, Malcolm Loades wrote:
A number I call several times a week in Zimbabwe (around 90 minutes
total per week) has had...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 30th 18, 12:41 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 63
Posted By Theo[_2_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Graham. wrote:
Shouldn't that be the other way round?
FXS to telephones
FXO to exchange line

Probably. I can never remember which way round they are.
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 30th 18, 12:39 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Theo[_2_]
Point to point wireless

If I want to make a wireless link of about 500m through a typical
residential environment, but which can't do line of sight, is there anything
I could do? The land is flat, but LOS goes obliquely...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 29th 18, 11:53 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 63
Posted By Theo[_2_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Woody wrote:
I am somewhat confused by this thread - can someone clarify it please?

There's two ways to do VOIP:

1. Plug an ATA FXS into your BT socket. Your ATA can...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 29th 18, 11:01 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 63
Posted By Theo[_2_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Graham. wrote: