Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.36 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Martin²
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 18th 09, 04:14 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 27
Posted By Martin²
Three million hit by Windows worm

Make that NINE million....
Regards,
Martin
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 18th 09, 04:01 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
snr
Posted By Martin²
snr

WCZ: Re O2
When you called them up did they try and fob you off because you have a
long line?

No, but I did not ask them about that, I wanted to know about SNR control.
Their checker says I can...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 16th 09, 02:37 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
snr
Posted By Martin²
snr

"Pod" wrote in message
Martin² wrote:
Pod:
You can adjust the SNR and Interleave/Fastpath parameters if you log
in...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 15th 09, 04:24 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
snr
Posted By Martin²
snr

Pod:
You can adjust the SNR and Interleave/Fastpath parameters if you log in to
the Be portal.

Does that apply to O2 Std. package ?
Is O2 WiFi Box II the same as same as Be Box on their Value...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 11th 09, 04:03 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
Posted By Martin²
BT line upgrade

chris_huh:
My down line attenuation is 53, so does that mean even with a 24meg
line the speed would still be about 1meg.

Unfortunately, YES.
There are graphs showing att. v speed for ADSL and...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 10th 09, 04:48 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
Posted By Martin²
BT line upgrade

chris_huh:
i am on 8meg, but get about 1meg

Seems like you are long way from an exchange,
if your downstream attenuation is more then 49dB then you will NOT get any
speed increase from ADSL2+ /...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 7th 09, 03:19 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 10
Posted By Martin²
Orange BB sync speed..?

Hi Ivor,
it's BT, they have made change to their Digital Line Management software in
order to keep BB connections stable at all cost, presumably to prevent cust.
service calls.
Now every time,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 22nd 08, 03:18 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 22
Posted By Martin²
Stuck bRAS profiles..

Ato_Zee:
Of the two NON-DMT modems BT 2-wire is next best,
followed by Draytek 2600 ADSL with long line flash.

Got both of those, and they were fine until BT messed up the DLM !
I intend to get a...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 22nd 08, 03:15 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 22
Posted By Martin²
Stuck bRAS profiles..

Alexd:
I think there is a good reason, and it is to reduce support costs. The
greater the margin, the stabler the line, and the fewer calls to ISP
support. Fewer calls to ISP support means fewer...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 21st 08, 01:37 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 22
Posted By Martin²
Stuck bRAS profiles..

Gordon:
Realistically, how long does it take the ISP (Entanet in this case),
and BT to reset a stuck bRAS profile?

Months !
In my case, until May I used to get 2.8Mb/s at 6dB, with random but...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) December 4th 08, 03:58 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 8
Posted By Martin²
Senao RTP ports?

if you have a PC on the same
LAN as the Senao, you could install a softphone, dial the Senao by IP, and
run Wireshark whilst on the call and see what ports it's using.

Thanks Alex,
that is worth...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 4th 08, 03:47 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 40
Posted By Martin²
Speed that the line supports?

In theory it would be just the distance, but in practice there are many
imperfect joints and random noise on all ancient BT lines.
Your max speed will vary from hour to hour, day to day, etc.
The BT...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) December 2nd 08, 03:35 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 8
Posted By Martin²
Questions on RTP

Sorry to hitchhike this thread, but for a long time I have been searching
for answer to this question:

How do I find which RTP ports are used by my VoIP WiFi phone (Senao 7800H) ?
I can't hear the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 2nd 08, 03:24 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 39
Posted By Martin²
Broadband speed tests are crap

I am right that the best indication of one's BT LINE speed is
speedtester.bt.com (as it does not involve the backhaul to the ISP)
If you having problems...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 2nd 08, 03:16 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 24
Posted By Martin²
BB drop outs!!!

Invalid a.k.a.
Peter R Cook:

I resorted to an ex Sky DG834GT router (£12 off Ebay) and the DGTeam
firmware to let me manipulate the SNR Target.

Where does one get the DGTeam firmware ?
Can that...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 30th 08, 02:51 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 24
Posted By Martin²
BB drop outs!!!

Join the clan...
I have such episodes every 3-4 months, and less severe ones every couple of
weeks.
Previously rebooting the router would fairly quickly bring the SNR down to
normal 6dB.
However,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 28th 08, 03:44 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 10
Posted By Martin²
Router that sets Sync Speed not Noise margin?

Is there some software (like DMT) to set SNR for the 2700HGV ?
Or the 1801HG ?

Not that I am aware of. In any case experience suggests that it is
counterproductive to do so.
Peter...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 28th 08, 03:29 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Martin²
Damaged ehernet adaptor ?

To Adrian C:
Thanks for your help.
I am wondering if it is something to do with the new (apparently std) ATX
power supply.
It has and extra / detachable 4 pin plug next to the 20pin connector, which...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 27th 08, 04:30 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 10
Posted By Martin²
Router that sets Sync Speed not Noise margin?

Is there some software (like DMT) to set SNR for the 2700HGV ?
Or the 1801HG ?

Thanks,
Martin
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 27th 08, 04:21 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
Posted By Martin²
Curious...

LOL I'm syncing right now @ 8096kbps
Ditto moi, running ~4Mbps between 4 and 6db

It's OK for you guys, but folks lumbered with long and / or noisy lines, get
bumped up the SNR scale
on a few...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 26th 08, 03:33 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
Posted By Martin²
Curious...

WTF tiscali/BT were doing running at 15db SNR

That seems to be new (since May in my experience) BT policy.

Presumably dead slow, but stable connection lets them ignore any complaints
as...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 26th 08, 03:27 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Martin²
Damaged ehernet adaptor ?

(I posted about this here some time ago, now had time to look into it more
closely)

The power supply on my desktop failed, after I have replaced it, the onboard
ethernet adaptor is not...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 25th 08, 03:44 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 79
Posted By Martin²
Plusnet broadband

WOW, as little as few months ago there would have been several posts from
aggrieved ex PlusNet heavy users !

PlusNet have been good for me for past four+ years,
though I am not happy with my poor...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) November 19th 08, 03:31 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 28
Posted By Martin²
Betamax

VHS took over because it was the CHEAPEST (and worst) system and was bought
by millions in Asia, and was helped along by the porn industry in 'first'
world.

The Phillips 2000 video system was the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 19th 08, 03:16 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Martin²
ADSL Max target SNR oddities

John L:
or is it BT Wholesale being a bit naughty

Not naughty, but very cautious. They have reprogrammed their DLM / DSLAM to
keep the line stable at all cost,
presumably to keep the customer...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100