Showing results 1 to 25 of 74
Search took 10.29 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andy Burns
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 23rd 14, 07:27 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 14
Posted By Andy Burns
How do I convert my second Router into an Access Point

Woody wrote:

"Jim" wrote:

use an wifi range-extender like
the TP-Link WA850RE or WA750RE.

Ah, but they don't always work.

My router is in the next room two...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 25th 14, 05:03 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 17
Posted By Andy Burns
Suffolk Rural Broadband

George Weston wrote:

On 25/01/2014 14:00, Davey wrote:

There is a van that lives down the road, which has on it 'BTFS. Part of
BT'. I didn't know anything about them, so I looked them...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 19th 14, 10:05 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 51
Posted By Andy Burns
Sky hub SR102 vs Be Boxes by Thompson/Technicolour

Graham. wrote:

The SSID on my Netgear is "Cisco" just to make the neighbours jealous.

Maybe I'll set mine to "RSPCA bark/howl monitor"
in the hope they might take the hound out with them ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 16th 14, 08:50 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 22
Posted By Andy Burns
Phone and network cables.

tullyhubbert wrote:
I ended up cutting the plug of one end of a CAT5 30m patch cable and
[...]
In work we have a crimping tool and plugs for RJ45/RJ11

Although you can get RJ45 plugs for...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 14th 14, 10:33 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 15
Posted By Andy Burns
BE - Unattributable slowdowns

Clive Page wrote:

I switched from Be to Plusnet around the time that Murdoch took over
control of Be.

I have to say that I was starting to regret it because download speeds
have been a bit...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 14th 14, 12:55 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 51
Posted By Andy Burns
Sky hub SR102 vs Be Boxes by Thompson/Technicolour

NY wrote:

Beware that the PlusNet firmware has a feature which always configured the
DSL username and password to the value in PN's database, so if you get a
Technicolor router from a PN...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 15th 13, 07:29 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 36
Posted By Andy Burns
Is present FTTC as good as it gets?

DrTeeth wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

If they installed an extra FTTC cabinet closer to you than the normal
cabinet (or first FTTC cabinet), it would actually...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 13th 13, 08:51 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 36
Posted By Andy Burns
Is present FTTC as good as it gets?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 12/12/13 21:42, alexd wrote:

NY (for it is he) wrote:

Is VDSL (used for the final copper part of FTTC) inherently
better than ADSL (eg allows...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 12th 13, 06:36 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 36
Posted By Andy Burns
Is present FTTC as good as it gets?

David wrote:

Anyone noted what happens when the existing BT cabinet gets full of users
what do BT do?
An extra cabinet next to it or additional cabinets placed in the area served
thus giving...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 28th 13, 02:34 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 26
Posted By Andy Burns
http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk has it gone?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I tried to use http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk/ this morning and received
a 404 error, has the site shut down or is it a local issue?

The .co.uk domain seems to be...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 18th 13, 06:08 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Andy Burns
News.eternal-september - is it faulty?

Woody wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote:

As of yesterday evening I would seem not to be able to send
anything, receive is working fine.

Same here. OK...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 18th 13, 05:11 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

As of yesterday evening I would seem not to be able to send anything,
receive is working fine.

Yes, b0rked at the moment for me and a couple of posters I know, also...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 1st 13, 05:20 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 41
Posted By Andy Burns
Ping Times to Google

Gordon Freeman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

--- google.co.uk ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5000ms
rtt...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 31st 13, 10:29 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 41
Posted By Andy Burns
Ping Times to Google

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote:

15ms on an up to 20mbit fibre connection what's yours and can you get lower
than mine?

Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 27th 13, 06:09 PM Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 27
Posted By Andy Burns
Well done Openreach

Dave Liquorice wrote:

if you are drinking tea you aren't fixing the fault and
moving onto the next one. I bet they are at least loosely tracked on
how long they take and what they do to fix...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 6th 13, 09:00 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 25
Posted By Andy Burns
Plusnet

Peter Crosland wrote:

The "old" unlimited did have a "pro"
option but AFAIK the current one does not. It saved me around four quid
per month. At least worth a phone call!

I could drop the pro...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 6th 13, 07:48 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 25
Posted By Andy Burns
Plusnet

Peter Crosland wrote:

On 06/10/2013 15:40, Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml#newsup

You might like to check with Plusnet. As...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 6th 13, 04:40 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 25
Posted By Andy Burns
Plusnet

George Weston wrote:

On 06/10/2013 12:20, Andy Burns wrote:

Pay an extra fiver/month for the "pro" add-on

I think you'll find that option is dead now.
It's either Unlimited or...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 6th 13, 01:20 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 25
Posted By Andy Burns
Plusnet

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Recently transferred from Tesco (aka Cable and Wireless) to Plusnet,

A bit disappointed though with what appears to be aggressive traffic
management.

Any...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 4th 13, 12:24 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns
O2 and giffgaff down all day

Andy Burns wrote:

my phone spends most of its time set to "2G only".

And I'm on Tesco (an O2 MVNO, obviously).
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 4th 13, 12:22 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns
O2 and giffgaff down all day

CJB wrote:

Thousands of customers affected by this system outage. Intermittent
connections from partly OK to downright nothing. Texts and calls
affected. Has been going on all day. Many forums...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) October 3rd 13, 08:17 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 4
Posted By Andy Burns
AVAYA IP OFFICE - question

Graham J wrote:

A customer has been sold an AVAYA IP OFFICE system for some new premises
still under construction.

Originally Argent Office, we bought one from RevK at A&A about 16 years ago

Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 22nd 13, 03:20 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Andy Burns
Anyone doing reasonable 100 mbit+ fiber to the home yet?

7 wrote:

Anyone doing reasonable 100 mbit+ fiber to the home yet?

No nothing's changed since you asked a few months ago, perhaps it's
harder than you thought after all. Alternatively, move to...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 18th 13, 08:39 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 31
Posted By Andy Burns
Detecting loss of ADSL & switchover to 3G

Graham J wrote:

The ISP claims this cannot happen with their equipment because they
allocate fixed IPs. But this is self evidently ********. The IP is
allocated (DHCP) by the DHCP...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 15th 13, 11:41 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 34
Posted By Andy Burns
Oh!!! Plusnet has a newsserver!

Maurice Batey wrote:

So one can only follow Plusnet news when at home. Pity.
Why not also when away, with authorisation, as with email?

A fellow plusnetter has said he has managed to use news...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 74