Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andy Burns[_5_]
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 24th 18, 02:29 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (trafficshaping)

Stephen wrote:

All FTTC providers on the Openreach system share the same DSLAM in the
cabinet for the conversion to copper.

Of course.

the stats on SamKnows give latency.

With a whitebox or...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 23rd 18, 06:55 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (trafficshaping)

Winston Smith wrote:

It's funny that they offer 12 months to new customers

Phone them, they can be flexible if they want ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 23rd 18, 04:12 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (trafficshaping)

Winston Smith wrote:

Yes, the ping times seem to depend a lot on which server you are using.

I'm more talking about the first hop on a traceroute, obviously the
PPPoE session has gone over...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 23rd 18, 02:27 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (trafficshaping)

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Winston Smith wrote:

65 ms ping. Will the ping time improve much?

Mine is about half that.

And mine is about half yours, yet I see other FTTC users who have...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 22nd 18, 09:51 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (trafficshaping)

Winston Smith wrote:

Right now I have ADSL with Plus.net.

Last time I checked, JL broadband is outsourced to Plusnet.
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 28th 17, 12:53 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 42
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
BT [Yahoo!] servers screwed yet again

Chronos wrote:

This is not a level playing field. It's a bugger to keep the ball on
the kick-off point long enough to get a run up to it, so tilted is
the arena.

I'm sure many here have...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 21st 17, 05:44 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 34
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

Mark Carver wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

330MHz is for full fibre. You might need this for a busy office, but unlikely for domestic.

Yes, quite, but the point I was making is that in...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 20th 17, 07:21 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 30
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Million Britons miss out on 'decent' broadband speeds

Martin Brown wrote:

Hell will freeze over before BT installs any new cable here

It will be interesting to see whether today's announcement means all
customers will have the "right to get" 10Mbps...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 19th 17, 06:23 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 30
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Million Britons miss out on 'decent' broadband speeds

Java Jive wrote:

You always come up with this "I'm alright Jack" style of posting, and I
always shoot it down in flames
Though presumably you had some awareness of what speeds would be like...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 16th 17, 12:05 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 15
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
VDSL router reccomendations...

Roderick Stewart wrote:

I have a Billion 8800NL

I have one of those (now relegated to being a spare) I only used it in
modem mode, with a separate router/firewall/access-point, so I can't...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 13th 17, 04:50 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 14
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet DNS settings tip

Graham J wrote:

So please explain why the router's DNS proxy is so slow.

Home routers tend to not have much RAM, and flash memory (if they
permanently store results, probably not) is slow for...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 13th 17, 12:02 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 82
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet Router and local networking problems

Clive Page wrote:

I would have fixed the IP address for the smartphone but the bloody
awful Sagem firmware said that its MAC address was invalid

Some smartphones continually randomize their MAC...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 12th 17, 10:56 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 82
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet Router and local networking problems

Clive Page wrote:

What router do they supply?

Usually a "plunet hub one" with FTTC, which is a re-badged BT Homehub5
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 12th 17, 10:53 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 82
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet Router and local networking problems

Clive Page wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

routers [...] will automatically bind MAC address to a particular
IP address when they first see the device.

That is consist with my...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 8th 17, 01:52 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 82
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet Router and local networking problems

Clive Page wrote:

never had to do that with the old (TG582n) router; maybe it
remembered the IP address it previously assigned to each MAC value?
DHCP servers (built-in to home routers)...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 3rd 17, 11:50 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Maximum upload and download speeds on FTTC

Andy Furniss wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=171203170057-646.png

Bah to speed tests that give results higher than sync rate.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it arrives...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 3rd 17, 06:18 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Maximum upload and download speeds on FTTC

Andy Burns wrote:

Data Rate: 79.904 Mb/s / 19.999 Mb/s

And a wired ethernet linux box with FF57 gets pretty much bang-on that
speed ...

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=171203170057-646.png
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 3rd 17, 05:53 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Maximum upload and download speeds on FTTC

Chris Green wrote:

Line Statistics
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate 39998 Kbps 9999 Kbps
Attainable Rate 89127 Kbps ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 24th 17, 09:05 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 31
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Strange BT broadband pricing

Vir Campestris wrote:

I'm with BT. I reckoned that when they installed our fibre they'd screw
it up (they did) and by signing up with them I would have a one stop shop.
You have no more a direct...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 22nd 17, 05:07 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 31
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Strange BT broadband pricing

Andrew wrote:

My latest BT bill

You're trying to understand a BT bill? Save yourself the time and kill
yourself now ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 12th 17, 10:21 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 55
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Are fibre connections any more reliable?

Tim Streater wrote:

Couple of years ago, some scrotes tried to nick the 400-pair between
our local cab and the exchange.

A few years ago, they achieved that here, twice, and the speed went down...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 10th 17, 10:10 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 55
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Are fibre connections any more reliable?

Ian Jackson wrote:

Plusnet are presently running a jolly advert on LBC radio - and I'm
pretty sure they say you can talk to them 24/7

it certainly says 365 days a year, whether it's 24 hours a...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 9th 17, 01:39 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 55
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Are fibre connections any more reliable?

Bob Eager wrote:

the difficulty of getting through on the phone.

A few weeks ago they experimented with varying the chat availability at
short notice, it worked out as

Mon - Tue: 12:00 -...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 9th 17, 11:35 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 55
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Are fibre connections any more reliable?

Clive Page wrote:

I found their Chat system useless.

I don't like the chat system, you spend ages being 15th in line, 14th in
line, 13th in line ... then you forget about the window for a...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 8th 17, 09:01 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 55
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Are fibre connections any more reliable?

Bob Eager wrote:

Which will make no difference, as it seems the fault is with your line.

If the fault is between exchange and cabinet, rather than cabinet and
house, then moving to FTTC may make...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100