Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Colin Wilson
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 22nd 03, 12:13 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Colin Wilson
to home install or not to home install(adsl)

Ummm - one thing. You don't put a filter on the ADSL modem - you filter
everything else. In many cases it will go into a splitter which has a
filter for the phone line, but i've seen a few...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 21st 03, 10:59 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 1
Posted By Colin Wilson
Pipex - opinions?

Looking for a reasonably priced all-in-one package. I had thought of
Plusnet but their email problems don't fill me with enthusiasm. How does
Pipex rate?

See my other post

--
Please add...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 21st 03, 10:59 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Im considering using Pipex as my Broadband Provider. I would be interested
in views of people who are with pipex or have had experience of them.

I`ve been with them since February this year,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 21st 03, 09:47 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
Posted By Colin Wilson
Cheapest Deal for Broad Band

When Broadband came to the Isle of Wight in July I,like most looked around
for the best deal .Tiscali came out best.Not only am I paying the least of
any other package 19.99 I'm getting cheap...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 21st 03, 09:46 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Colin Wilson
to home install or not to home install(adsl)

so when my exchange in enabled do i contact bt to put it on or do i just do
it all through an isp and they do the rest?

Order it via an ISP and they make the arrangements...

--
Please add...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 20th 03, 11:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Obviously encrypting and decrypting takes a little bit of time, but probably
not enough to notice.
Wouldn't have though you need to encrypt the pics unless....

....they were of his missus...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 20th 03, 08:42 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Posted By Colin Wilson
DG814 Setup

Ok what about networking, file sharing, printers & the like.
How do I set that up? There is no info on the installation guide.

Depending on the OS you`re using, go to network neighbourhood /...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 20th 03, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 3
Posted By Colin Wilson
Uptime software... ? (odd request)

Does anyone know of any software which will allow you to measure the
"uptime" of an ADSL line...
I know this is a odd request but if anyone has any idea's I would be
grateful..

Possibly... I...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 19th 03, 08:44 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
Posted By Colin Wilson
ICS & Firewalls

Would ZA use less system resources from my wife's sluggish
laptop than Norton IS which is currently installed?

I use ZA on a 300Mhz celery without any problems on my wifes` machine -
her virus...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 19th 03, 07:41 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
Posted By Colin Wilson
Maplin powermeter can give bogus readings (was how much power does a modern PC use)

However, my PC reads 150W, whereas its true usage is around 70W.
(measured using an oscilloscope)
This is due to a rather odd shaped current draw, and the meter not
being able to work it...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 16th 03, 10:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 1
Posted By Colin Wilson
windows / crash when IP changes ?

According to my router it shows a connected time of "1' 11:05:40" but my
IP gets checked every 20 mins and I know it`s only just changed.

Looking at a record the router keeps of the connected...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 16th 03, 10:27 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 1
Posted By Colin Wilson
windows / crash when IP changes ?

Not sure quite what might be causing this, but my win98se seems to crash
when the "external" IP address changes to my router (explorer.exe bombs
and I get to keep some gui capability for a few...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 16th 03, 08:59 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
Posted By Colin Wilson
AOL -what's going on

Guess what - today i received a postcard from AOL, telling me that Broadband
wasn't available in my area - hence no AOL Broadband?????? - what's going on
I ask myself - I have broadband via...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 16th 03, 08:19 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
Posted By Colin Wilson
getting broadband enabled soon.. question

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/
N.B. I did notice this link in the previous message but the .uk was missing,
so the link wouldn't work.

It works for me without the .uk at the end (on Pipex)

--...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 15th 03, 11:49 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
Posted By Colin Wilson
getting broadband enabled soon.. question

when bt have enabeld it, do i have to go with bt, or can i sign up with ny
provider?? do i actually pay bt to?

You pay your normal line rental to BT per normal, but you can sign up
with any ISP...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 15th 03, 10:48 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Colin Wilson
No dial tone?

I`m not sure what version of the drivers you`ve got, but i`ve got the
Speedtouch 330 drivers on ftp:

PS: ignore the ftp server name - it was done to "scare off" lamers
looking for open...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 15th 03, 10:44 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Colin Wilson
No dial tone?

Many thanks for the replies. It is a 330 (I should have said).
Si - off to look for a new driver too, now that the download won't be as
painful an experience as it used to be.

I`m not sure...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 15th 03, 07:48 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Colin Wilson
No dial tone?

I've been with Pipex for a few days and everything's been fine, but today I
keep getting "no dial tone" messages and I have to reboot before I can get
online.
There *is* a dial tone and...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 14th 03, 09:28 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
Posted By Colin Wilson
PPPoA + pipex

Just when i was thinking of migrating to Pipex people start saying
things are going wrong. Is this a one off or is the Pipex service not
that good after all.;-((

I`ve had very few problems...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 14th 03, 12:51 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Colin Wilson
BT Router

Mind if we add the links to the FAQ ?
done, I have added a new menu item for Router Setup and a page on the 5861
at http://www.broadbandfaq.org.uk/Routers/EN5861.html. I'll expand this to
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 14th 03, 11:12 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Colin Wilson
BT Router

yes, it is possible, but there is a catch. When BT supplied these
routers, they flashed them with a BT specific crippled version of the
firmware snip

Mind if we add the links to the FAQ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 14th 03, 11:07 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Colin Wilson
Next........ Router or Moden......!?

Would this connect straight to the 10/100 Ethernet port/card on my PC and
enable me to connect to my chosen ADSL provider without any other pieces of
hardware (excluding filters & relevant...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 12th 03, 11:28 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Colin Wilson
Next........ Router or Moden......!?

If I brought a Ebuyer 4 Port ADSL Modem Router (will probably need to
connect my 4 year olds PC in a year or so...!?) or a Ebuyer 1 Port Ethernet
ADSL Modem Router would this enable me to...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 11th 03, 10:08 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 1
Posted By Colin Wilson
AOL Broadband ADSL 512k Speeds

can anybody give me a rough average on download speeds using Programmes like
soulseek, kazaa etc through AOL's ADSL 512k Broadband service?

If you haven`t already signed up, go elsewhere and...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 11th 03, 09:44 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 2
Posted By Colin Wilson
How can I reconnect automatically?

I've just had BT Openworld Business 500 installed and noticed that the line
drops from time to time (so far about once every 8 hours or so). If BT were
using a regular Windows dialup connection...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100