Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.16 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Vir Campestris
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) April 8th 18, 09:40 PM Posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Vir Campestris
Intermittent phone line disconnections, however.....

On 08/04/2018 16:57, Java Jive wrote:
On 08/04/2018 16:13, Mark Carver wrote:

.......broadband service is unaffected.

On outgoing calls, it causes 'cleardown'. On incoming calls there's...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) April 3rd 18, 09:24 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Vir Campestris
'More than half' of UK households face broadband problems

On 02/04/2018 22:39, NY wrote:
The problem with FTTC comes with a long ribbon development of isolated
houses along a road. I had to investigate exceptionally slow ADSL to a
house
on such a...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) April 2nd 18, 09:34 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Posted By Vir Campestris
Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan

On 30/03/2018 14:26, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Don't believe everything you see on my CodeLook web site, the BT Openreach post
code and FTTC cabinet data is poor quality. The...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 14th 18, 11:08 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Vir Campestris
UK fibre to home to be rolled out by franchise holders

On 12/03/2018 21:35, Tweed wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 12/03/2018 18:10, Tweed wrote:
Cable breaks can be found with
an optical TDR, using pretty...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 12th 18, 09:23 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Vir Campestris
UK fibre to home to be rolled out by franchise holders

On 12/03/2018 18:10, Tweed wrote:
Cable breaks can be found with
an optical TDR, using pretty much the same principles as the one you
mention but with light pulses.

How does that...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 4th 18, 09:54 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 0
Posted By Vir Campestris
Openroach will lower their 1gbit symmetric fibre internet to around 3000

On 03/03/2018 18:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
What unnecessary copper, it is all still carrying POTS.

In my case that's only due to BT's incompetence. The fibre modem comes
with 2 POTS ports. (and...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 4th 18, 09:51 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 0
Posted By Vir Campestris
Fibre unbundling at the poles

On 03/03/2018 09:43, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Sure Andy, about 5% live remotely enough in the sticks that their ADSL speed is low and reliability poor. Don't fall for the fibre over the fields bull'...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 6th 18, 08:56 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
Posted By Vir Campestris
BT TV box uncommanded power on

On 06/02/2018 14:51, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Mine keeps coming on at odd times, despite being set to be on cold standby and no configured events.

If previously on an online channel it saps...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 30th 18, 09:14 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Vir Campestris
FTTC again!!! :(

On 30/01/2018 13:15, Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/01/2018 21:34, Vir Campestris wrote:

There was no real chance of FTTC for most of our village (which is
long and thin). Which is why a lot...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 28th 18, 09:34 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Vir Campestris
FTTC again!!! :(

On 26/01/2018 08:48, Martin Brown wrote:

Lucky you. There is no chance of fibre to cabinet here and for that
matter no cabinet for there to be fibre to. Exchange only lines.

There was no...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 25th 18, 08:59 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Vir Campestris
FTTC again!!! :(

On 25/01/2018 12:13, Flyi�g �u� 2�18 + on netbook wrote:
After waiting since December 2012, which was the first availability of
VDSL FTTC and SOGEA from my local cabinet that I was aware...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 24th 18, 09:15 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
Posted By Vir Campestris
John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (trafficshaping)

On 23/01/2018 19:49, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Plusnet are really BT, but the monkey not the organ grinder. Once you are in they will treat you like **** just like BT do.

I found Plusnet were pretty...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 2nd 18, 10:57 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Vir Campestris
BT Openroach double blow jobs holding up UK productivity

On 02/01/2018 11:16, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Monday, 1 January 2018 23:53:03 UTC, 7 wrote:

Who cares about bend radius - it isn't something
you would need to worry about.
The...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 1st 18, 09:51 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Vir Campestris
BT Openroach double blow jobs holding up UK productivity

On 01/01/2018 14:28, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Not much cheaper to lay, and higher skilled labour needed to joint.

The guys who installed the duct across to our house weren't very
skilled. When I...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 31st 17, 05:11 PM Posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.misc,uk.finance,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 30
Posted By Vir Campestris
No copper infrastructure in UK so why is BT (British Telecum)Openroach in

On 30/12/2017 00:06, Paul Cummins wrote:
Are you sure? NO copper AT ALL? That's unbelievable, as there is copper
into ever single BT Served address, including those served by fibre...

I think...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 22nd 17, 08:23 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 34
Posted By Vir Campestris
Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

On 22/12/2017 09:45, Mark Carver wrote:

Which network ? I rarely see anything below 3G on EE these days, even in
rural locations

NONE of the networks have any more than marginal coverage in...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 21st 17, 11:06 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 34
Posted By Vir Campestris
Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

On 20/12/2017 19:44, Mark Carver wrote:

I wonder what happens on FTTP connections ? My lad has just
gone live with his. He gets 52 megs down, and 10 up, which
is more or less the tariff he's...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 19th 17, 09:01 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 17
Posted By Vir Campestris
Broadband over 'wet string' tested for fun

On 18/12/2017 22:05, MB wrote:

I presume they are in a sealed contained just as they would do if they
were sent by post or courier.* I don't think anyone has perfected
sending them by...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 18th 17, 08:49 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 17
Posted By Vir Campestris
Broadband over 'wet string' tested for fun

On 18/12/2017 18:28, MB wrote:
Hospitals apparently use Lamson Tubes for moving samples around.

Here's an idea. We've got somebody here with a nasty infection, we'll
send his samples to the lab...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 3rd 17, 09:06 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
Posted By Vir Campestris
Upgrade to plusnet fibre - router question

On 03/12/2017 12:17, chris wrote:
Any gotchas I need to watch out for with the HG612? I see some come with
microfilters, will they be different to the ones I currently have?

Do you mean FTTC...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 24th 17, 09:22 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 31
Posted By Vir Campestris
Strange BT broadband pricing

On 24/11/2017 08:05, Andy Burns wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

I'm with BT. I reckoned that when they installed our fibre they'd screw
it up (they did) and by signing up with them I would...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) November 23rd 17, 09:16 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 31
Posted By Vir Campestris
Strange BT broadband pricing

On 22/11/2017 15:13, Graham J wrote:
The catch is that it is BT.

Try a sensible supplier ...

I'm with BT. I reckoned that when they installed our fibre they'd screw
it up (they did) and by...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 13th 17, 09:32 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 48
Posted By Vir Campestris
FTTP: New Build Home

On 13/10/2017 20:05, Stephen wrote:
the separate Ethernet modem as with FTTP means the router cannot
"read" the line bandwidths directly

I don't think that matters.

We've got 330/something...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 12th 17, 09:11 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 48
Posted By Vir Campestris
FTTP: New Build Home

On 12/10/2017 08:53, Mark Carver wrote:

Thanks Angus, so in short if he just 'innocently' applies for a 'fibre'
internet service with an ISP of his choice, it should all happen as if
it's...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 18th 17, 09:27 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 3
Posted By Vir Campestris
More "cable"

On 17/08/2017 21:28, grinch wrote:
The foil is there to keep the water out, if water gets in and freezes it
can theoretically damage the cable.

Whenever I've looked a foil wraps it's a long...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100