Vigor V2860 WAN2 to modem to Plusnet

Old November 4th 18, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default Vigor V2860 WAN2 to modem to Plusnet

Java Jive wrote:
On 04/11/2018 12:02, Graham J wrote:
Configuration is:

Vigor 2860
WAN1 connected to VDSL service from Zen Internet
WAN2 connected to modem to ADSL service from Plusnet.
Error Router: Message [ PPPoE : No response from server side. ]

The problem with Plusnet is present regardless of whether WAN1 is used
or not.

But:

Using Vigor 2830
WAN1 not connected
WAN2 connected to modem to ADSL service from Plusnet.
This connects OK

However: Vigor 2860
WAN1 not connected
WAN2 connected to modem to VDSL service from ***Zen Internet***
This works OK.

I suspected a problem about a couple of months back (September 2018).
At that time I had a Vigor V2910 and two ADSL modems - this was before
the Zen connection was upgraded to VDSL.* The Plusnet connection
appeared to fail.* Ater much testing I assumed that there was a
problem with the very old V2910 and decided to pension it off.* In the
mean time I configured its WAN2 to communicate with a router rather
than a modem, which behaved as expected.

So there appears to be an incompatibility between the WAN2 port of
some Vigor routers and the Plusnet ADSL service.

No, I don't think you can draw that conclusion, at least not on the
evidence you have presented to us.* See below ...

Has anybody else seen this?

No, but on the evidence given above I think your conclusion is
premature.* All you've actually proved is what you have stated above,
that one modem connected to the 2860 WAN2 works while the other does
not, so I'd check the simple things first, which you may have done
already but not told us.

Compare the subnet settings between each modem and the 2860 WAN2.
For the one that works, how is it set up, fixed IPs or DHCP, and is the
one that doesn't work the same, or the other?* Make sure that in the
case that doesn't work, the 2860 WAN2 port settings reflect what the
modem is expecting, in other words fixed IP or receive IP via DHCP, as
appropriate.

My original post tried to be succinct, without extraneous information,
because I have seen that people don't read long posts properly.

To summarise, the same modem connected to the V2860 WAN2 port works when
connected to Zen, but not when connected to Plusnet. By contrast, that
same modem connected to WAN2 of a V2830 works for both Zen and Plusnet.

In all other respects the settings are the same; the only change between
Zen and Plusnet is the username and password, the phone line to which
the modem is connected, and that Zen uses VDSL while Plusnet uses ADSL.

The user interface between the V2860 and V2830 is not identical, but
does provide the same settings; and I have ensured that they match. One
default difference is the MTU=1492 on the V2860 and MTU=1442 on the
V2830 but I changed the setting on the V2860 to match the V2830, to no
effect.

Is anybody here using a V2860 connected via WAN2 to a modem, to Plusnet?

--
Graham J

--
Graham J

Old November 6th 18, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 04/11/2018 20:37, Graham J wrote:

To summarise, the same modem connected to the V2860 WAN2 port works when
connected to Zen, but not when connected to Plusnet.* By contrast, that
same modem connected to WAN2 of a V2830 works for both Zen and Plusnet.

I don't think I can be of much help, though I can see why you're puzzled.

I don't know whether you've had a look on the DV site to see if there's
anything useful there. At very least there'll be a PDF of the manual,
and there may be also a more recent firmware than your current version:

Product Information Page:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860

Product Support Page, including downloads:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2860

Also, you may wish to consider raising an email support query - it's
free, and they'll usually come back to you within a day or two:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/techquery
Old November 6th 18, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Java Jive wrote:
On 04/11/2018 20:37, Graham J wrote:

To summarise, the same modem connected to the V2860 WAN2 port works
when connected to Zen, but not when connected to Plusnet.* By
contrast, that same modem connected to WAN2 of a V2830 works for both
Zen and Plusnet.

I don't think I can be of much help, though I can see why you're puzzled.

I don't know whether you've had a look on the DV site to see if there's
anything useful there.* At very least there'll be a PDF of the manual,
and there may be also a more recent firmware than your current version:

Most recent firmware was installed a couple of days ago. I'm tempted to
revert it to an earlier version ...

Product Information Page:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860

Product Support Page, including downloads:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2860

Also, you may wish to consider raising an email support query* -* it's
free, and they'll usually come back to you within a day or two:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/techquery

Fair comment; but I want to try another V2860 with a similar
configuration first - hence my posting here.

--
Graham J

Old November 6th 18, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

[...]

I have (had) at work, Zen ADSL2 and Plusnet ADSL2 through 2 x vigor
130's (previously 100's) through 2910VG and over the last several years
or more the Zen WAN was randomly dropping signal. Couldn't pin it down
to anything in particular as didn't notice when it went down due to
failover to plusnet and it wasn't frequent enough to warrant replacement
kit, just a re-boot once in a while and it was good.

Earlier this year it dropped out completely and wouldn't re-connect,
Same "no response from server side" error.
Eliminated the modems as not being the issue and in desperation while I
was waiting for a new 2926n to be delivered I factory reset a "faulty"
2920 that had previously completely failed at home on Zen VDSL.

Blow me, it only bloomin' worked! Absolutely no idea why the 2920 failed
on Zen VDSL originally and no amounts of firmare flashing and factory
rest would bring it to life but it's been working flawlessly on the 2 x
ADSL2 connections.

Now at least I have a new 2926 sat on the shelf waiting to be called
into action either at home or the office.

Not a direct answer to your query but the kit and symptoms are
exceedingly similar.

Old November 6th 18, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

on Zen VDSL originally and no amounts of firmware flashing and factory
rest would bring it to life but it's been working flawlessly on the 2 x
ADSL2 connections.

Now at least I have a new 2926 sat on the shelf waiting to be called
into action either at home or the office.

Not a direct answer to your query but the kit and symptoms are
exceedingly similar.

I've tried a factory reset of the V2860 - same problem.

Curiously, in December 2016 I had a problem with a V2910, connecting
with two modems in the same way that you describe. With firmware
3.2.5.4 I can untick "Disable ping from internet" and the router works
as expected. However with firmware 3.2.6 if I untick "Disable ping from
internet", reboot, then connect the modem, about 5 seconds after the PPP
connection comes up the router loses all communication with both LAN and
WAN. The problem exists regardless of whether WAN1 or WAN2 is used. I
saw the same problem with another V2910. I see the latest firmware is
3.2.6.1 but I haven't tried that, so I left the router at 3.2.5.4 until
I pensioned it off recently. I need to be able to ping from the
internet, so a router that fails this simple test is fundamentally unusable.

I did report the problem to but nobody there tried
to demonstrate the issue, so I got nowhere.

I can try some more testing of the V2860 when I have the time and
enthusiasm - might be a while ...

--
Graham J

Old November 7th 18, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 06/11/2018 18:12, Graham J wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

snip
[...]

Ah yes the Draytek Firmware induced "features"
2 years ago I reported the following to Tech Draytek.com
In fairness they couldn't reproduce the fault and asked for a config.
dump but I'd wasted so much time trying to resolve the issue I just left
it on the old firmware and all was good.

"05/12/2016
Hi Support.
Having spent the last few days battling with what appears to be a DNS
issue which ties in with a recent upgrade to the latest firmware I've
found the problem which is caused by the the latest firmware 3.6.8.4

DNS PROBLEMS:

When network clients are set to obtain IP address and DNS address from
Router DHCP server, even if though correct DNS numbers are set, the DNS
address given to the client from the router is set to 192.168.1.254
which is obviously not a valid DNS.

Manually setting the DNS address on each client resolves the "server not
found" issue.

Re-booting client PC initially resolves the issue until router re-issues
client DHCP data and subsequently gives 192.168.1.254 as DNS.

BANDWIDTH LIMIT ISSUE:

When a bandwidth Limit is set for specific IP addresses by scheduled
times, the bandwidth limit is applied to ALL network clients rather than
only those specified.

Dropping back to Firmware 3.6.8.3 has resolved both issues. Fortunately
I had a copy saved. PLEASE could you make older firmware readily
available for all models when a new version is released in case severe
network crippling issues are introduced as is the case with this
firmware revision.
"