Broadband interruptions

Old May 23rd 20, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

Default Broadband interruptions

Short interruptions to my broadband seem to becoming more common, only
every few weeks and for a few minutes but annoying.

Is there anything (reasonably cheap!) that could be used to monitor a
broadband connection and log interruptions?

Old May 24th 20, 07:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_3_]

MB wrote:
Short interruptions to my broadband seem to becoming more common, only
every few weeks and for a few minutes but annoying.

Is there anything (reasonably cheap!) that could be used to monitor a
broadband connection and log interruptions?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...toring/quality

This any use?

Old May 24th 20, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

MB wrote:
Short interruptions to my broadband seem to becoming more common, only
every few weeks and for a few minutes but annoying.

Is there anything (reasonably cheap!) that could be used to monitor a
broadband connection and log interruptions?

F8Lure see http://fruk.net/index.php?fruk=f8lure

You will need a static IP address. At a pinch a dynamic service from
the likes of https://account.dyn.com/ will help but that in itself may
be unreliable so will affect the F8Lure graphs.

What does your router tell you? Most will indicate the connection
up-time. Is this is consistent with your experience of interruptions?
If not, then you need to look at whether the connection between your
computer and router is reliable - for which the solution will be to
avoid using WiFi - at least for testing.

Please tell us the make and model of your router, whether you have ADSL
or VDSL or something more exotic, and your ISP.

Some routers work with RouterStats - see

http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

This monitors several parameters from your router, and can record them
graphically. Obviously you do need a PC running all the time to support
this. It doesn't work with all makes of router.

If your ISP is Zen Internet they record your connection reliability in
graphical form, see:
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Partner-Tools-Understanding-the-Connection-Graphs.
If you bought through a "Zen Partner", your partner will have access
to this. Zen's technical support will sent you snapshots of this to
illustrate failures. Another ISP that provides connection monitoring is
Andrews & Arnold. It's possible that Plusnet has this facility for use
internally. Other ISP's probably won't even understand the question -
if this is your experience then changing ISP might be appropriate.

If the interruptions occur around 2 am then it is probably Openreach
rebooting their equipment.

If the interruptions occur during the working day 8am to 6pm then it may
be an Openreach technician breaking your connection while working on an
adjacent line - so if you notice a break it may be worth running outside
to look for an Openreach van ...

--
Graham J
Old May 24th 20, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 23/05/2020 22:36, MB wrote:
Short interruptions to my broadband seem to becoming more common, only
every few weeks and for a few minutes but annoying.

Is there anything (reasonably cheap!) that could be used to monitor a
broadband connection and log interruptions?

I have my router log set to "debug" and to forward messages to a system
running 24/7 and using Linux (LXQt). The data is processed regularly to
extract line drops/restarts which are written to a text file. I also
regularly check a couple of sites (BBC and my provider) using "ping"
which picks up the few times the connection hasn't dropped but the
"internet" is inaccessible.

--
PeeGee
Old May 24th 20, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

PeeGee wrote:
On 23/05/2020 22:36, MB wrote:
Short interruptions to my broadband seem to becoming more common, only
every few weeks and for a few minutes but annoying.

Is there anything (reasonably cheap!) that could be used to monitor a
broadband connection and log interruptions?

I have my router log set to "debug" and to forward messages to a system
running 24/7 and using Linux (LXQt). The data is processed regularly to
extract line drops/restarts which are written to a text file. I also
regularly check a couple of sites (BBC and my provider) using "ping"
which picks up the few times the connection hasn't dropped but the
"internet" is inaccessible.

Syslog from your router can be very verbose.

Ping in a script is good. You could ping by IP (you need one that is
guearanteed to be available), or ping by name will check the function of
DNS as well - this might identify where your problem is.

Let me know if you need a working example ....

--
Graham J