Distinctive Ring Tone for number prefixes

Old November 13th 18, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

Default Distinctive Ring Tone for number prefixes

My Grandstream ATA allows me to set distinctive ring tones based on Caller
ID, and I'm using that successfully.
The manual also tells me I can set distinctive ring tones based on prefix:

"""For example: If configured as *617, Ring Tone 1 will be used in case of
call arrived from the area code 617."""

OK, nice feature, so I'll configure a distinctive ring tone for the prefix
020836 - which will match a number of local exchanges, including neighbours,
doctor, optician, pharmacy etc.

Only *020836 doesn't work :-( Let's try 020836* instead. Nope, doesn't
work either.

Has anyone got this working, or is it relying on something which doesn't
apply in the UK ?
Old November 13th 18, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

My Grandstream ATA allows me to set distinctive ring tones based on Caller
ID, and I'm using that successfully.
The manual also tells me I can set distinctive ring tones based on prefix:

"""For example: If configured as *617, Ring Tone 1 will be used in case of
call arrived from the area code 617."""

OK, nice feature, so I'll configure a distinctive ring tone for the prefix
020836 - which will match a number of local exchanges, including neighbours,
doctor, optician, pharmacy etc.

Only *020836 doesn't work :-( Let's try 020836* instead. Nope, doesn't
work either.

Has anyone got this working, or is it relying on something which doesn't
apply in the UK ?

Are you sure the wildcard should be an asterisk? Have you tried a dot?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old November 13th 18, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Andrew Benham wrote:
Has anyone got this working, or is it relying on something which doesn't
apply in the UK ?

Is your VOIP provider presenting as 020... or +4420... ?

Theo
Old November 14th 18, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 20:59:01 +0000, Theo wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote:
Has anyone got this working, or is it relying on something which doesn't
apply in the UK ?

Is your VOIP provider presenting as 020... or +4420... ?

As 020 when the calls come in from the PSTN. I have two phone numbers
with AAISP, and when I call one from the other they present the calling
number as +44xxx - but calls from the PSTN are presented 'normally'.

Old November 14th 18, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 20:28:08 +0000, Graham. wrote:

My Grandstream ATA allows me to set distinctive ring tones based on Caller
ID, and I'm using that successfully.
The manual also tells me I can set distinctive ring tones based on prefix:

"""For example: If configured as *617, Ring Tone 1 will be used in case of
call arrived from the area code 617."""

OK, nice feature, so I'll configure a distinctive ring tone for the prefix
020836 - which will match a number of local exchanges, including neighbours,
doctor, optician, pharmacy etc.

Only *020836 doesn't work :-( Let's try 020836* instead. Nope, doesn't
work either.

Has anyone got this working, or is it relying on something which doesn't
apply in the UK ?

Are you sure the wildcard should be an asterisk? Have you tried a dot?

Yes, .02083 doesn't work either.

The * can't be a glob, or a regexp, because it's at the wrong end of the
number. I presume it's just some special syntax.
Old November 14th 18, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 00:16:18 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 17:18:32 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

My Grandstream ATA allows me to set distinctive ring tones based on
Caller ID, and I'm using that successfully.
The manual also tells me I can set distinctive ring tones based on
prefix:

"""For example: If configured as *617, Ring Tone 1 will be used in case
of call arrived from the area code 617."""

OK, nice feature, so I'll configure a distinctive ring tone for the
prefix 020836 - which will match a number of local exchanges, including
neighbours,
doctor, optician, pharmacy etc.

Only *020836 doesn't work :-( Let's try 020836* instead. Nope,
doesn't work either.

Has anyone got this working, or is it relying on something which doesn't
apply in the UK ?

Try *20836 ?

I already did :-) I'm wondering if it has to be exactly 3 digits, to match
a US area code. Next thing to try.

Old November 15th 18, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:38:23 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

[...]

Yippee! Got it working, thanks to the Grandstream forum.
The format to enter is:
020836xxxxx