WiFi conundrum - what's this MAC address from?

Old November 19th 18, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default WiFi conundrum - what's this MAC address from?

Graham J wrote:

There's two on each, the one's you can see above, ISBD and 2860n.

What is the SSID named ISBD for, and can you turn it off?

The ISBD SSIDs are on 192.168.6.x which can't 'see' the main
192.168.1.x LAN, it's what I give to visitors to use.

Have you another router (or borrow one) that you can use to scan for
Access Points? If so, does that show this strange MAC? And when both
the 2860n and 2820n are powered off?

Yes, probably (another router that is), I'll try this. I already
tried airodump-ng on my laptop but that wouldn't work at all.

--
Chris Green

Old November 19th 18, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Java Jive wrote:
On 18/11/2018 18:35, Chris Green wrote:
2 00:50:7F:8B:35:43 6 68% ISBD WPA2/PSK
3 00:50:7F:8B:35:40 6 68% 2860n WPA2/PSK

0A:1D:AA:C3:9B:E0 11 ISBD
00:1D:AA:C3:9B:E0 11 2860n

BTW, it's not relevant to your problem as such, but to cover a building
as you're trying to do, you ought to have both SSIDs the same, with the
same password, so that mobiles, tablets, laptops, etc, can move about
the building without losing connection.

I have, that's why there's a 2860n SSID on the 2820n as well as the
one on the 2860n. There is also an ISBD SSID on both the 2820n and on
the 2860n. The 2860n SSID is for me and family internal use, the ISBD
SSID is for visitors.

--
Chris Green

Old November 19th 18, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Mike Humphrey wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
So what's that B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 MAC address? It doesn't appear to be
registered as belonging to any manufacturer, from the 2820n's point of
view it looks as if it might be coming from the 2860n but from the
2860n it's anyone's guess where it's from. Using a simple WiFi
scanner app on an Android tablet doesn't show it up at all. Are the
two Draytek's creating a 'virtual' WiFi signal - or what?

Well I can tell you why it's not registered - the "locally administered"
bit is set. So this isn't a "universally administered" address that
would appear in the manufacturer list, it's been manually configured (or
generated by software locally).
B0:FC:0D is registered to Amazon - do you (or your neighbours) have an
Amazon device?

Ah, thank you, now that's a good clue. We have a couple of Amazon
devices, there's a tablet (less likely I guess) and an Amazon "Fire
Stick" which is a likely candidate I think. It's easy enough to
power them down and see if the 'phantom' WiFi signal disappears.

--
Chris Green

Old November 19th 18, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 19 November 2018 15:03:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
Mike Humphrey wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

You will remember "where you parked your bike" eventually.
Old November 19th 18, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Mike Humphrey wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Well I have just lost my glasses....

--
Chris Green

Old November 20th 18, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Mike Humphrey wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

A new vicar is appointed to a sleepy rural parish.

After a few weeks he attends an event at the cathedral and his bishop asks him how he is getting on. "Fine replies the vicar, but someone has stolen my bicycle". The bishop then suggests that the following Sunday he gives the congregation a 'fire and brimstone' sermon about the ten commandments, stressing "thous shalt not steal".

Another few weeks later the vicar meets up with the bishop again, who asks him whether the strong sermon had done the trick and his bike had been returned. "Oh yes!" says the young vicar "I only got as far as 'thou shalt not commit adultery' when I remembered where I had left my bike"...

In this case it will be some forgotten device, possibly even a neighbours TV remote control (which was mystery Bluetooth device that kept popping up whenever I did a scan).
Old November 20th 18, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Mike Humphrey wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Ah, yes, now I understand! :-) I think I remember Doc Watson
(American folk singer) telling that one.

In this case it will be some forgotten device, possibly even a neighbours
TV remote control (which was mystery Bluetooth device that kept popping
up whenever I did a scan).

Very few neighbours near enough to be received here, the only signals
that aren't 'mine' are the BT/FON ones from the house opposite. I'm
always amazed when I go elsewhere (even fairly remote French villages)
to see how many signals there are floating around compared with here
at home.

--
Chris Green

Old November 23rd 18, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 20/11/2018 11:25, Chris Green wrote:
Ah, yes, now I understand!:-) I think I remember Doc Watson
(American folk singer) telling that one.

It is so old that Chaucer probably used it in Canterbury Tales. :-)