ADSL over FTTP

Old November 27th 18, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

Default ADSL over FTTP

On 25/11/2018 21:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/11/2018 14:15, grinch wrote:
Please don't reply to the village idiot ,in those 4 lines he proves he
knows nothing about telecoms and even less about business.He regularly
posts his totally uninformed drivel.

At least he knows not to top post.

Wow do people still bother about that ,takes me back to my early Usenet
days in the 1990's

Also in reply to the topic of this tread, I read the BT sin on FTTP
and they present it as Ethernet,* so* how/why you would want to try to
get adsl working over it is beyond me.

With you there.
Obviously you can get a PPP session working over it and therefore it
would work as as any other home internet connection.

Why would you want to do that?

PPP and DHCP seem to be supported methods of connecting to your ISP PPP
allows measurement and rate limiting but it also would be local end
agnostic where an ISP has many different types of home users. I.E adsl
vdsl fttc EoCP

As it runs over Ethernet I am not sure you could call it broadband in
the correct use of that term ,others may know better than me. I cant
be bothered to research the layer 1 and 2 details for Ethernet.

It doesn't run over Ethernet, it runs over GPON and I've never bothered
to look at what the protocol is. There's a fibre modem, and what comes
out of that is cat5(ish) running TCP/IP (4 and 6) over Ethernet.

Seeing as you started the pedantry what comes out is actually just plain
Ethernet . It would not be a lot of use if it only supported TCP,what
about UDP ICMP IGMP etc

BT provide a second box, which is a standard ADSL modem/router - but the
ADSL is turned off. It's connected to the fibre modem over Ethernet, And
I think it does all the firewall work as well ad being an Ethernet
switch and an WiFi hub.

BT sin 506 shows a pretty picture ,seeing as the fibre modem is Ethernet
presentation I wonder if BT will allow you to supply your own router
like you can with an Adva and the business symmetrical product.

Having just skim read the 506 sin pdf file the answer to the above is
probably not

Andy