SOT -

Old December 10th 18, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Default SOT - RBS customer lost thousands of pounds in scam

On 09/12/2018 18:16, NY wrote:

Maybe one day the NHS will be dragged into the 20th century (not even
21st) and it will be possible for the doctor to make up a prescription
of several items, ask "where do you want it dispensed" [1] and submit the
prescription, certified by electronic key exchange, so the pharmacist
dispenses it in time for when you get there [2], without any paper or
scanning thereof involved. But still with the option of giving the
patient a paper prescription [3] if he doesn't want to commit to one
particular chemist.

With some variations and exceptions, this is the method adopted by our
surgery.

[1] - the pharmacy has to be pre-designated but may be changed.

[2] - for some reason, although the prescription is electronically sent
whilst I am with the doctor, I still get to the pharmacy (1mile away)
before the prescription.

You must consider the possibility that "The prescription hasn't
arrived" is a euphemism for "We are very busy and are focusing on the
patients already waiting on the pharmacy".
Have you noticed the prescription magically appears on their screen a
short time later?

[3] - the pharmacist *must* print out the prescription and give it to
the patient with the medication (or without if not available. The
patient then takes it to an alternative pharmacy). The prescription may
be used to apply for repeat medications.

Are you in Scotland?

In fact, the electronic approach may be over the top. I can take the
prescription into the surgery when 'available repeat number' is down to
zero and the receptionist will reset to seven without reference to a doctor.

It's a bit like Smart Meters, privately most pharmacists will agree
that electronic prescriptions are not implemented in a way that
primarily helps the patient, and certainly not the pharmacy.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 10th 18, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 18:16:57 -0000, "NY" wrote:

Maybe one day the NHS will be dragged into the 20th century (not even 21st)
and it will be possible for the doctor to make up a prescription of several
items, ask "where do you want it dispensed" and submit the prescription,
certified by electronic key exchange, so the pharmacist dispenses it in time
for when you get there, without any paper or scanning thereof involved. But
still with the option of giving the patient a paper prescription if he
doesn't want to commit to one particular chemist.

All the best online retailers (i.e. the ones that will still be in
business in about twenty years) seem to be able to manage paperless
"click and collect" without any difficulty - just show their text on
your phone and a cursory glance at a driving licence. You can also buy
a train or coach ticket that's just a QR code on your phone. We have a
new toll bridge across the Mersey with no toll booths, so you don't
even need to stop to pay - just do it online. The car park at
Liverpool airport doesn't require you to collect a card or token (like
Manchester), not lose it, and then remember to pay before you go back
to your car - it recognises your registration number and you just use
a contactless credit card on the way out. It can't require the
invention of anything new if this sort of thing is already being done,
so it must be simply a matter of organising it. The NHS has a
reputation for being topheavy with managers and administrators, so
you'd think they ought to have enough spare bureacratic brainpower to
set up something practical...

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old December 10th 18, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 09/12/2018 23:12, Graham. wrote:
On 09/12/2018 18:16, NY wrote:

[...]

Funny that you should mention that :-)

[3] - the pharmacist *must* print out the prescription and give it to
the patient with the medication (or without if not available. The
patient then takes it to an alternative pharmacy). The prescription may
be used to apply for repeat medications.

Are you in Scotland?

Earley, Reading

In fact, the electronic approach may be over the top. I can take the
prescription into the surgery when 'available repeat number' is down to
zero and the receptionist will reset to seven without reference to a doctor.

It's a bit like Smart Meters, privately most pharmacists will agree
that electronic prescriptions are not implemented in a way that
primarily helps the patient, and certainly not the pharmacy.

I am not sure that it helps the doctor either.

Writing helps remember. Especially when the electronic method is
convoluted and prone to failure.

ps There is also the

http://patient-services.co.uk/

for appointments, prescription ordering and medical history.

Not ideal but getting there.

--

Flop

I want to re-marry my ex.
She thinks I am after my money.
Old December 10th 18, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Flop" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/12/2018 18:16, NY wrote:

[...]

The dispensary at my GP made two mistakes when I went to collect my tablets.

Firstly they forgot to give me one set of tablets - they'd been dispensed
but were in a different bag with a different internal ID number. What made
it worse was that I knew there'd been a problem with those tablets being
taken off repeat prescription in error, so I'd phoned to get that rectified,
and when I went to collect all the tablets, I specifically asked "So are
these tablets there as well?", and was assured that they were. Next time
I'll rip open the paper bag that all the tablets come in, to check.

Much more serious was that the previous set of tablets, a month earlier, had
included a prescription (paper counterfoil) for another patient as well as
my own details. There were no drug details, but there was a name, DOB and
address. I destroyed it as soon as I saw what it was, which in hindsight
wasn't the cleverest thing to do, because it made it more difficult to
report the precise details to them. I think they were grateful that I didn't
want to make a big data-protection issue out of it and just wanted to alert
them to the problem so they tightened up their checks.

I don't know what the paper process is for applying for a repeat
prescription, because I've always used the online process for ordering.
According to the sign, there is a box where you can post a list of the
medication - probably by ticking boxes on the counterfoil that accompanies
the tablets.

The online process specifies a date (rather than a number of issues of the
medication) when the repeat prescription needs to be reviewed and
"recharged" by the doctor.

Old December 10th 18, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 09/12/2018 22:49, Graham. wrote:
On 09/12/2018 14:50, MB wrote:
On 09/12/2018 12:24, MissRiaElaine wrote:

They've got them, it's how they send urgent ones. The pharmacy still
sends someone round all the local surgeries every day though.

Indeed they have. The 9000 machines being quoted in the current news
reports must only be in the core NHS, and not include their
contractors like community pharmacies. As I said elsewhere in this
thread, pretty much all community pharmacies have one, so that's
another 14,000 units.

And long may they survive.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old December 10th 18, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 10/12/2018 09:46, Flop wrote:

ps There is also the

http://patient-services.co.uk/

for appointments, prescription ordering and medical history.

Not ideal but getting there.

We have a similar system here, don't recall the name, something like
Vision Online, it works for ordering prescriptions most of the time,
although occasionally it won't let me order a particular item, I'm
guessing it's because it needs a doctor's review, but why it can't just
tell me that is anybody's guess.

It won't let me make appointments though. The one we had at my old
surgery before I moved house did, though.

--
Ria in Aberdeen