Plusnet disabling all SMTP servers but their own?

Old February 21st 19, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Default Plusnet disabling all SMTP servers but their own?

BT own Plusnet now.

Despite Plusnet customer service being better than BT's and lower cost, sooner or later BT were bound to start making life difficult for Plusnet customers, in the same way as they constantly mess their own customers about.

I have just migrated to their phone line and highest VDSL, and it is
cheaper than the previous suppliers, Post Office line rental and Sky
ADSL, I had really taken my eye off the ball!

I'm pleased on the whole, one thing Plusnet doesn't tell you, and was
a bit of an inconvenience, was my traditional 10.0.0.0/24 subnet is
blocked on their "Hub One" router, presumably so it can be reserved
for "FON" for BT customers.

ICMP pinging is blocked unfortunatly, I like to monitor myself with
f8lure.

I seem to get a single disconnection and resync in the early hours of
each morning, It's still in it's 10 day profiling period, but I'm not
convinced it's going to improve after that.

Oh and "they" have control of the thing with TR-069 / CWMP, but it
appears I am not allowed into the GUI from outside my LAN.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old February 21st 19, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Graham. wrote:

BT own Plusnet now.

Despite Plusnet customer service being better than BT's and lower cost, sooner or later BT were bound to start making life difficult for Plusnet customers, in the same way as they constantly mess their own customers about.

I have just migrated to their phone line and highest VDSL, and it is
cheaper than the previous suppliers, Post Office line rental and Sky
ADSL, I had really taken my eye off the ball!

I'm pleased on the whole, one thing Plusnet doesn't tell you, and was
a bit of an inconvenience, was my traditional 10.0.0.0/24 subnet is
blocked on their "Hub One" router, presumably so it can be reserved
for "FON" for BT customers.

ICMP pinging is blocked unfortunately, I like to monitor myself with
f8lure.

I seem to get a single disconnection and resync in the early hours of
each morning, It's still in it's 10 day profiling period, but I'm not
convinced it's going to improve after that.

Oh and "they" have control of the thing with TR-069 / CWMP, but it
appears I am not allowed into the GUI from outside my LAN.

Get your own router - one that has the features you require.

The reason Plusnet have locked down the router they supply is so that
idiot customers can't muck with it.

--
Graham J
Old February 21st 19, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham. wrote:

"they" have control of the thing with TR-069

If you ask Bob nicely in p.s.c-f (and give the serial number?) it can be
removed from the provisioning system.
Old February 21st 19, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Graham. wrote:

"they" have control of the thing with TR-069

If you ask Bob nicely in p.s.c-f (and give the serial number?) it can be
removed from the provisioning system.

Or you could install Teamviewer or Real VNC to allow (password-protected)
external access to a PC on the LAN and then access the router from there.

Old February 22nd 19, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/02/2019 14:16, Graham J wrote:

The reason Plusnet have locked down the router they supply is so that
idiot customers can't muck with it.

Just because millions of people are unable to configure a router,
doesn't make them idiots FFS !

--
Mark
Old February 22nd 19, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 17:22:32 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

On 21/02/2019 14:16, Graham J wrote:

The reason Plusnet have locked down the router they supply is so that
idiot customers can't muck with it.

Just because millions of people are unable to configure a router,
doesn't make them idiots FFS !

True, but it's the idiots who *try* ...
Old February 22nd 19, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 17:22:32 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

On 21/02/2019 14:16, Graham J wrote:

The reason Plusnet have locked down the router they supply is so that
idiot customers can't muck with it.

Just because millions of people are unable to configure a router,
doesn't make them idiots FFS !

True, but it's the idiots who *try* ...

Anyone who works in "support" of anything technical dreads to hear the
customer say "I tried to fix it" because that usually means that they've
unwittingly made it a whole lot worse ;-)

First rule of knob-twiddling: record where the knobs were originally...

Whenever I have to move a PC to work inside it, which means unplugging the
USB leads, I take a photo or draw a diagram of which lead goes into which
USB socket. They *should* be interchangeable, but some devices or some
software is very fussy. Printers especially sometimes won't work if you plug
the lead into a different socket to the one it was in before.

Old February 23rd 19, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 20:30:46 -0000, "NY" wrote:

Anyone who works in "support" of anything technical dreads to hear the
customer say "I tried to fix it" because that usually means that they've
unwittingly made it a whole lot worse ;-)

The ones who claim to work in IT or to know somebody who works in IT
can be just as bad. They'll say "We don't need to do any tests because
I've already done them".

First rule of knob-twiddling: record where the knobs were originally...

Second rule: only change one thing at a time, and if it doesn't
produce a beneficial result, change it back again. (See first rule).

Rod.
Old March 2nd 19, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on March 9, 2019.

"NY" wrote

"Clive Page" wrote in message
If Plusnet are really going to block all ports for SMTP servers except
their own relay.plus.net then I find that absolutely outrageous. I will
take it as a major change in their contract conditions and try to cancel
my contract and move to a better Internet supplier. But I suppose it
could be a hoax or just their usual total incompetence - has anyone else
had one of these messages? And if so do you understand it?

The problem comes when you set your SMTP server on a laptop to (for example)
Plusnet's own, and then take your laptop to a network from another ISP where
they want you to use *their* SMTP server.

It should be possible to configure a portable computer (phone, tablet,
laptop) to *one* SMTP server which is accessible on any network - subject to
the normal restriction that you have to supply a valid username and password
rather than going anonymous when connecting to a foreign network.

They already only allow access to their usenet server from their own network
as opposed to anyone else's - even if you use your portal username/password.

I have given up on ISP smtp servers. They are all playing the same
game nowadays, restricting the From: header to the domain name, even
on smtp auth connections. It is a big waste of one's life farting
around with this periodically.

Accordingly I moved all outgoing email to authsmtp.com. They do DKIM
also. The DKIM takes a bit of config (you have to put a special hash
in the DNS record) once once done it is done. 40 quid a year for 3k
emails/month and 400MB.