BT broadband issues

Old July 9th 19, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Default BT broadband issues

Java Jive wrote:

I think it was Andy, suggested OpenWRT on a BTHH5a as a possible
solution, and I'm very grateful, because the result has worked very well.

I just installed the openWRT 18.06.4 update, including the same set of
packages and kernel modules I've used with previous releases, my LTE
interface wouldn't come up (well the NCM protocol on /dev/ttyUSB0 came
up, but the virtual DHCP client named LTE_4 didn't appear in the
interface list and I had no routing)

After a second reboot, it all seems working.

Old July 9th 19, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Recliner wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 09:07:39 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Recliner wrote:

I'm guessing the suspected damage
is to the Ethernet cables.

if the 1/2, 3/6 pairs are ok, but others are faulty, then it would drop
to 100Mb.

Yes, it was a cabling fault. Specifically, there was a crossed wire in
the junction box that connects the external and internal Ethernet
cables. Yesterday's engineer also swapped my router for the ZTE, which
he thinks is much better.

I'm now in the new position, for me, of having a line limited by a
software cap, not the hardware. I'm on the 150Mbps package, but all
the hardware supports 1Gbps. In practice, they seem to set the cap at
10% above the advertised speed, so on my 150Mbps package, I get
~165Mbps, both up and down. But during the test, speeds initially go
much higher, before the cap sets in:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/48240073451/in/album-72157709532549547/lightbox/

This is final state of the test, showing how the 150+10% cap has been
applied:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/48239986081/in/album-72157709532549547/lightbox/

In contrast, this is what I get on BT when the line is working well:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/48240161792/in/album-72157709532549547/lightbox/

Well that is how things ought to be. I'm slightly baffled why BT seem to
think their FTTP service should be limited to 30 Mbits/sec up. Virgin cable
struggles with upload speeds, but there are technical reasons for that. I
was initially sceptical about 5G, but having seen what is being put in by
the networks, and the relatively low cost of new unlimited contracts, I can
see that the fix line operators are going to be in for a bit of a fight in
the coming years.

Now as to being rate capped - you know you really want the 1 Gbit/sec
service.....

Old July 9th 19, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 09/07/2019 19:03, Tweed wrote:
Now as to being rate capped - you know you really want the 1 Gbit/sec
service.....

I have 50Mbit. I can't really justify any more.

Andy
Old July 9th 19, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/07/2019 19:03, Tweed wrote:
Now as to being rate capped - you know you really want the 1 Gbit/sec
service.....

I have 50Mbit. I can't really justify any more.

Yes, my problems with BT, which pushed me into moving, were poor service,
unreliability, and repeated faults. The speeds, when everything was working
as it should, weren't the problem. But there were times when I was getting
worse speeds than I got on ADSL, particularly on uploads. I think I've had
eight Openreach engineer visits this year, though I stopped counting.

I'm hoping the switch will give me greater reliability and more consistent
speeds. I think the VoIP phone will also be an improvement. That I get
dramatically better speeds, as well as a lower monthly cost, is a welcome
bonus. Speeds of 165Mbps are more than adequate for me; I don't think a
Gigabit service would give me any benefit (it's not like I need to upload
4k movies).