Modem/router or just router for Sky Fibre

Old July 13th 19, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy Dzell

Default Modem/router or just router for Sky Fibre

I'm switching broadband provider from BT to Sky FTTC.

Sky have sent me their Sky Q Hub (combined VDSL modem/router) but from
what I've read it only has two SSIDs associated with the wifi, one for
the 2.4GHz band and the other for the 5GHz band. I need to set up at
least two 'guest networks' that will be completely isolated from each
other and, more importantly, from my own network.

I've also found out that the way Sky work means that the router must
also be able to handle "DHCP Option 61 or MER" whatever that is.

Can anyone suggest a suitable modem/router or, being as I have the
white Openreach VDSL modem (Huawei HG612), a suitable router to connect
to it? I currently use a Linksys WRT3200ACM but Murphy's Law has come
into play and it's just started giving me problems with flaky wifi so
it needs replacing anyway.
Old July 13th 19, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 13/07/2019 11:33, Paddy Dzell wrote:

Can anyone suggest a suitable modem/router or, being as I have the white
Openreach VDSL modem (Huawei HG612), a suitable router to connect to it?
I currently use a Linksys WRT3200ACM but Murphy's Law has come into play
and it's just started giving me problems with flaky wifi so it needs
replacing anyway.

No direct experience, but you might find this helpful

https://kevq.uk/how-to-use-a-tp-link...y-fibre-optic/

--
Mark
Old July 13th 19, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 13/07/2019 13:18, Mark Carver wrote:
On 13/07/2019 11:33, Paddy Dzell wrote:

Can anyone suggest a suitable modem/router or, being as I have the
white Openreach VDSL modem (Huawei HG612), a suitable router to
connect to it? I currently use a Linksys WRT3200ACM but Murphy's Law
has come into play and it's just started giving me problems with flaky
wifi so it needs replacing anyway.

No direct experience, but you might find this helpful

https://kevq.uk/how-to-use-a-tp-link...y-fibre-optic/

When we were on Sky ADSL, the original router only had 100Mb/s Ethernet
so we bought a Sky Q box on eBay for a good price, and it has Gigabit
ethernet. When we switched to FTTC, it worked out of the box with no
reconfiguration.

We did for a time use an AVM Fritz!Box, it took me ages to prise the
login details out of Sky, but the information they gave me at the time
was " with no password, so I'm a little
confuzzled by the different login information.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old July 13th 19, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 13/07/2019 13:53, MissRiaElaine wrote:

We did for a time use an AVM Fritz!Box, it took me ages to prise the
login details out of Sky, but the information they gave me at the time
was " with no password, so I'm a little
confuzzled by the different login information.

That stems from Telefonica selling their 'O2 Broadband' to Sky a few
years ago, to avoid a large scale router swap out, Sky simply added
the legacy O2 log-ons to their system.

--
Mark
Old July 14th 19, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 13/07/2019 13:18, Mark Carver wrote:
On 13/07/2019 11:33, Paddy Dzell wrote:

Can anyone suggest a suitable modem/router or, being as I have the
white Openreach VDSL modem (Huawei HG612), a suitable router to
connect to it? I currently use a Linksys WRT3200ACM but Murphy's Law
has come into play and it's just started giving me problems with flaky
wifi so it needs replacing anyway.

No direct experience, but you might find this helpful

https://kevq.uk/how-to-use-a-tp-link...y-fibre-optic/

I was going to suggest a Draytek. I use a 2862 with Plus Net (and BT
before) Not cheap but great facilities...

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/gu...re-setup-guide

(you may need to create an account)

Dave
Old July 17th 19, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

I'm switching broadband provider from BT to Sky FTTC.

Sky have sent me their Sky Q Hub (combined VDSL modem/router) but from
what I've read it only has two SSIDs associated with the wifi, one for
the 2.4GHz band and the other for the 5GHz band. I need to set up at
least two 'guest networks' that will be completely isolated from each
other and, more importantly, from my own network.

I've also found out that the way Sky work means that the router must
also be able to handle "DHCP Option 61 or MER" whatever that is.

Can anyone suggest a suitable modem/router or, being as I have the
white Openreach VDSL modem (Huawei HG612), a suitable router to connect
to it? I currently use a Linksys WRT3200ACM but Murphy's Law has come
into play and it's just started giving me problems with flaky wifi so
it needs replacing anyway.

Short answer is it's probebly aginst their T&Cs not to use their
"hub".

Long answer, you can put OpenWRT on a BT HH5 (and others) and do this
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...mer-guide.html

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%