Hyperoptic - joke offer

Old August 5th 18, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Hyperoptic - joke offer

I was browsing something to do with Liverpool Lime Street station, when surprisingly an ad' for Hyperoptic appeared in the middle of the page. Normally I would have disregarded it, but given their infant pet troll posts on this group and it said fibre broadband for 19 per month I decided to click on it, which soon gets you to he -

https://www.hyperoptic.com/price-plans/?broadbandonly

it turns out that the 19 per month is actually for a claimed 30Mbps rising to 22 after a year. BT give me nearly twice that (measured). The full fat 1Gbps is 48pcm rising to 60 and there is a 40 activation fee. You can have phone as well, but laughably their calls cost six times what Voipfone charge. One also wonders what speed their back haul network runs at - it would not take a lot of customers fully exploiting 1Gbps to over-whelm a 10Gbps spine.

When I put my postcode (in the city of Manchester, not some tiny hamlet in the sticks) into their "check availability" box and of course it said NO, so nine years behind BT's roll out of FTTC and over two decades behind NYnex/NTL/VM for cable.

I think their offer is what Trumpty calls 'fake news'...

It is certainly what I call all mouth and no trousers!
Old August 6th 18, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

When I put my postcode (in the city of Manchester, not some tiny hamlet
in the sticks) into their "check availability" box and of course it said
NO, so nine years behind BT's roll out of FTTC and over two decades
behind NYnex/NTL/VM for cable.

Same here in Edinburgh.

-- Richard
Old August 6th 18, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
[...]

I wonder whether town areas are actually worse off than villages.

We're looking to move house and internet speed is one of the factors we are
checking. I notice that there areas of the medium-sized market town where we
are looking which only get ADSL (estimated 6-19 Mbps download, but
presumably still only 0.5 Mbps upload) whereas other areas get FTTC and
VDSL, so 30-50 (D) and 10 (U). It seems that some cabinets have FTTC and
others don't. I don't know whether the ADSL-only streets go directly to the
exchange and not via a green cabinet. The BT status is the dreaded "we are
investigating ways of providing high-speed broadband" - there's no need for
"investigation", all they need to do is more of what they've done elsewhere.

Where we lived before in a small village, FTTC was available everywhere, as
it was in most nearby villages and towns.

I suspect BT have lost interest in the town where we are thinking of moving
because Virgin have cabled the streets where FTTC is not available - at a
price: Virgin's packages are a bit more expensive, like-for-like, than BT's
FTTC/VDSL, and their call charges are horrendous - no inclusive calls except
at weekends.

Backhaul speed is always important. I would hope that there is some sensible
traffic throttling to share the bandwidth equally amongst all the houses
that need it at any instant. What is the typical subscriber-to-backhaul
ratio where an advertised sync speed is (for example) 30 Mbps? What
proportion of subscribers on a given backhaul will get the stated speed
before performance starts to degrade at busy times?

Old August 6th 18, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 6 August 2018 12:05:01 UTC+1, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

When I put my postcode (in the city of Manchester, not some tiny hamlet
in the sticks) into their "check availability" box and of course it said
NO, so nine years behind BT's roll out of FTTC and over two decades
behind NYnex/NTL/VM for cable.

Same here in Edinburgh.

Not quite - here we got the first commercial roll out of FTTC in the UK.

-- Richard

There is a map on Hyperoptic's web site, but precious few actual installations even in London. Nearest to me is about two miles away, but appears to be in the middle of a curry house car park.