Adding an external aerial to a mifi unit

Old August 4th 18, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Default Adding an external aerial to a mifi unit

I have a Huawei (how the f*ck do you pronounce that?) 4G E5776 MiFi unit
that I might be lending out to someone in a poor reception area.

It has a tiny socket presumably for an aerial. Are there any gotcha's to
choosing a suitable aerial?

Any recommendations?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 4th 18, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 4 August 2018 18:41:27 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
I have a Huawei (how the f*ck do you pronounce that?) 4G E5776 MiFi unit
that I might be lending out to someone in a poor reception area.

It has a tiny socket presumably for an aerial. Are there any gotcha's to
choosing a suitable aerial?

On Huawei kit the 3/4G aerial socket appears to be TS9 and they sell an aerial.

Of there is a wi-fi socket(s) it is probably SMA.

Leads to both should be kept as short as possible and it is usually better to lacate the mifi / dongle in a position for good reception and use a longer USB cable.

Any recommendations?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old August 4th 18, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Tim+" wrote in message

I have a Huawei (how the f*ck do you pronounce that?) 4G E5776 MiFi
unit
that I might be lending out to someone in a poor reception area.

It has a tiny socket presumably for an aerial. Are there any gotcha's
choosing a suitable aerial?

Any recommendations?

We would pronounce it huh-warh-way but they miss the leading H and
call it warh-way.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 5th 18, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 4 August 2018 22:53:57 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

I have a Huawei (how the f*ck do you pronounce that?) 4G E5776 MiFi
unit
that I might be lending out to someone in a poor reception area.

It has a tiny socket presumably for an aerial. Are there any gotcha's
choosing a suitable aerial?

Any recommendations?

We would pronounce it huh-warh-way but they miss the leading H and
call it warh-way.

Close
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nunciation.ogg

I think the problem is more to do with English spelling than Chinese pronunciation with this one.

Old August 6th 18, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 04/08/2018 18:41, Tim+ wrote:

I have a Huawei (how the f*ck do you pronounce that?) 4G E5776 MiFi unit
that I might be lending out to someone in a poor reception area.

It has a tiny socket presumably for an aerial. Are there any gotcha's to
choosing a suitable aerial?

Any recommendations?

I got a generic Chinese one from eBay for UK 3G band (actually a brace
of them) and an adaptor to convert the fitting to the required TS9. I
have never needed to use both to get an acceptable signal. It gives
about 10dB of gain although ISTR it claimed 14dB in the advert. Took a
month or so to arrive (you can get nicer ones faster from Solwise).

+1 for the recommendation to use a longer USB cable and get the dongle
well away from any electrically noisy PC and as high up as possible.

There are two competing standards on 3G for plug socket combos and the
wrong one will destroy the other so be sure to get the right one!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old August 7th 18, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:
On 04/08/2018 18:41, Tim+ wrote:

I have a Huawei (how the f*ck do you pronounce that?) 4G E5776 MiFi unit
that I might be lending out to someone in a poor reception area.

It has a tiny socket presumably for an aerial. Are there any gotcha's to
choosing a suitable aerial?

Any recommendations?

I got a generic Chinese one from eBay for UK 3G band (actually a brace
of them) and an adaptor to convert the fitting to the required TS9. I
have never needed to use both to get an acceptable signal. It gives
about 10dB of gain although ISTR it claimed 14dB in the advert. Took a
month or so to arrive (you can get nicer ones faster from Solwise).

+1 for the recommendation to use a longer USB cable and get the dongle
well away from any electrically noisy PC and as high up as possible.

Um, what dongle? It's a mifi unit. Yes, I suppose I could stick it in a
watertight box but I'd rather it wasn't outside.

There are two competing standards on 3G for plug socket combos and the
wrong one will destroy the other so be sure to get the right one!

Rather have a 4G aerial given that there is a weakish 4G signal on site.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 7th 18, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Tim+" wrote in message
Martin Brown wrote:
On 04/08/2018 18:41, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

The thing to watch with external aerials is the frequency banding.
Specifically many of them do not cover the 3G band around 2110MHz
although they do all of the others including the 4G picocell band at
2.6GHz.

Old August 7th 18, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 08:11:53 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
On 04/08/2018 18:41, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

No need to go outside - just tape it in a window on the side facing the base station.

There are two competing standards on 3G for plug socket combos and the
wrong one will destroy the other so be sure to get the right one!

Rather have a 4G aerial given that there is a weakish 4G signal on site.

In which case you need to discover which band(s) your provider is using and buy the right aerial for that.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old August 7th 18, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Woody
writes

"Tim+" wrote in message

I have a Huawei (how the f*ck do you pronounce that?) 4G E5776 MiFi
unit
that I might be lending out to someone in a poor reception area.

It has a tiny socket presumably for an aerial. Are there any gotcha's
choosing a suitable aerial?

Any recommendations?

We would pronounce it huh-warh-way but they miss the leading H and
call it warh-way.

Not Howay as in Howay the lads?
--
bert