Internst Status

Old August 9th 18, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

Default Internst Status

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on August 16, 2018.

I have been having problems with two Sky Broadband circuits out of the
Kensington Green London W8 5BS exchange for nearly 24 hours. Is there
anywhere I can see the general status there?
Old August 9th 18, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

https://servicestatus.sky.com/#/uk/issues
Old August 9th 18, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 09:34:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I have been having problems with two Sky Broadband circuits out of the
Kensington Green London W8 5BS exchange for nearly 24 hours. Is there
anywhere I can see the general status there?

https://servicestatus.sky.com/#/uk/issues

Thanks but that site even contradicts what Sky's own CS told me.

I was hoping for something more general about complaints across ISPs, if
that exists anywhere.

Here's what I get:

https://f8lure.mouselike.org/index.a...1.dyndns.o rg
https://f8lure.mouselike.org/index.a...2.dyndns.o rg

.... and so I am now tethered to my phone!
Old August 9th 18, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I have been having problems with two Sky Broadband circuits out of the
Kensington Green London W8 5BS exchange for nearly 24 hours. Is there
anywhere I can see the general status there?

https://servicestatus.sky.com/#/uk/issues

Thanks but that site even contradicts what Sky's own CS told me.

I was hoping for something more general about complaints across ISPs, if
that exists anywhere.

Here's what I get:

https://f8lure.mouselike.org/index.a...1.dyndns.o rg
https://f8lure.mouselike.org/index.a...2.dyndns.o rg

... and so I am now tethered to my phone!

With graphs like that I would first try to eliminate something on the
LAN side of your router (or in the router itself) hogging all the
bandwidth. So disconnect everything from the router's LAN ports and
disable its WiFi, then reboot the router; and look at F8Lure from a
separate internet connection.

Pinging your address now (11:20 on 9 August) gives either about 48mS or
no response.

--
Graham J

Old August 9th 18, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 11:20:27 +0100, Graham J wrote:

With graphs like that I would first try to eliminate something on the
LAN side of your router (or in the router itself) hogging all the
bandwidth. So disconnect everything from the router's LAN ports and
disable its WiFi, then reboot the router; and look at F8Lure from a
separate internet connection.

Pinging your address now (11:20 on 9 August) gives either about 48mS or
no response.

https://f8lure.mouselike.org/index.a...rg&FBMode=True
https://f8lure.mouselike.org/index.a...rg&FBMode=True

Thanks but these the problems arose simultaneously at 1:00 PM yesterday on
two separate circuits with no common wiring or equipment at the premises.
Also note that both lines cleaned up for only around 15 minutes just before
6:00 AM this morning.
Old August 9th 18, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on August 16, 2018.

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 11:20:27 +0100, Graham J wrote:

With graphs like that I would first try to eliminate something on the
LAN side of your router (or in the router itself) hogging all the
bandwidth. So disconnect everything from the router's LAN ports and
disable its WiFi, then reboot the router; and look at F8Lure from a
separate internet connection.

Pinging your address now (11:20 on 9 August) gives either about 48mS or
no response.

I spoke again with Sky who muttered about my faults being reported too late
for last night's maintenance window and would be sorted overnight tonight.
Not great but news that this was in the hands of humans. But then at 13:27
both routers lit up green and I am back on the air and all looks great.
Old August 9th 18, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Guest

Anthony R. Gold wrote (apparently) in uk.telecom.broadband on Thu 09 Aug 2018
09:19:54:

I have been having problems with two Sky Broadband circuits out of the
Kensington Green London W8 5BS exchange for nearly 24 hours. Is there
anywhere I can see the general status there?

Generally I try calling 0800 169 0199 to see what areas might be affected,
then decide whether to bear with any problems or report them. London issues
seem to affect exchanges with 020 3, 020 7 and/or 020 8 codes.
--
MrGuest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere
Old August 9th 18, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On 9 Aug 2018 18:59:00 GMT, Mr Guest wrote:

Anthony R. Gold wrote (apparently) in uk.telecom.broadband on Thu 09 Aug 2018
09:19:54:

I have been having problems with two Sky Broadband circuits out of the
Kensington Green London W8 5BS exchange for nearly 24 hours. Is there
anywhere I can see the general status there?

Generally I try calling 0800 169 0199 to see what areas might be affected,
then decide whether to bear with any problems or report them. London issues
seem to affect exchanges with 020 3, 020 7 and/or 020 8 codes.

Thank you for that number.
Old August 9th 18, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Guest

Anthony R. Gold wrote (apparently) in uk.telecom.broadband on Thu 09 Aug
2018 21:09:30:

On 9 Aug 2018 18:59:00 GMT, Mr Guest wrote:

Anthony R. Gold wrote (apparently) in uk.telecom.broadband on Thu 09
Aug 2018 09:19:54:

I have been having problems with two Sky Broadband circuits out of the
Kensington Green London W8 5BS exchange for nearly 24 hours. Is there
anywhere I can see the general status there?

Generally I try calling 0800 169 0199 to see what areas might be
affected, then decide whether to bear with any problems or report them.
London issues seem to affect exchanges with 020 3, 020 7 and/or 020 8
codes.

Thank you for that number.

Prior to recent better mobile data coverage to check websites it was far
easier to "borrow" a landline to give it a call as it is not going to be just
BT Broadband that's affected. When my work changed provider no-one told me I
could not use the number any more! Threw out an old router a few months back
that had it taped to the top in case of problems.
Old August 10th 18, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 09/08/2018 19:59, Mr Guest wrote:
Generally I try calling 0800 169 0199 to see what areas might be affected,
then decide whether to bear with any problems or report them. London issues
seem to affect exchanges with 020 3, 020 7 and/or 020 8 codes.

I am with BT, they have some good service status pages but the problem
is the amount of information there with such a large organisation.

I usually contact a few friend first to see if they have any problem.

Then if I can get Internet access via 4G, I will post on their customer
forums to see if anyone else in similar area with problems. There was
the notorious case a few years back when they had a major fault
affecting a large area but were unaware and their (foreign) customer
services were not telling their control centre that they were getting a
lot of calls. They only found out when a forum moderator spoke to the
control centre.

It was a classic case where the monitoring had failed so everything
appeared OK. I asked their manager why they did not monitor the number
of people doing speed checks as well as a drop in traffic on the network.