VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Old July 31st 18, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Default VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 22:27:04 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 21:54:35 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 20:37:31 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I have a naked A&A line along with their VDSL service and it has a line
number that can be identified by dialing 17070.

That sounds like DSL provided on an outgoing calls barred line, rather
than naked DSL.

If those two are different, what test could distinguish the situation?

Also see Technical he https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html
Usually you hear a normal dialtone and you can dial 999 17070 (and
Freephone?) but if you dial a chargable number you hear NU tone after
a few keypresses.

I am not now at the site. I only know there is dial tone and 17070 works.
Tomorrow I will try some Freephone numbers and maybe also 101, 111 and 999.

Bear in mind that 101 is chargable.

Then that one must fail since there is no means for anyone to charge me.

If you really must test Emergency Services leave no doubt that it's a
test, and don't try it more than once.

Your belief that I might try a second time after a first one did complete
and connect reflects poorly of your opinion of my lack of common sense :-(

Point taken. But don't forget this group unlike another I could
mention, is still indexed by Google, for the benefit of the less
knowledgeable.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 31st 18, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I have a naked A&A line along with their VDSL service and it has a line
number that can be identified by dialing 17070.

That sounds like DSL provided on an outgoing calls barred line, rather
than naked DSL.

If those two are different, what test could distinguish the situation?

Also see Technical he https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html

Usually you hear a normal dialtone and you can dial 999 17070 (and
Freephone?) but if you dial a chargable number you hear NU tone after
a few keypresses.

I am not now at the site. I only know there is dial tone and 17070 works.
Tomorrow I will try some Freephone numbers and maybe also 101, 111 and 999.

I think this is an old-style AAISP copper pair - AIUI the current copper pair
they can supply has no dial tone and connects directly to a pre-recorded message
from Adrian (rather like the local taxi phones provided in supermarkets).

See the 'Technical' section of https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html

I think the pair has a phone number, but one can't (easily?) find out what
that number is.
Old July 31st 18, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 11:04:06 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

I'm planning to switch my landline number over to a VoIP provider, and use an
ATA to connect to the existing phone wiring and handsets. That way my aged
parent doesn't need to learn anything new.

I used to have 2 master sockets - an early NTE5 with a DSL faceplate, and
then a single pair link from the filtered side of that to a 'voice only'
master socket. That was done to make it easy to switch to VoIP - remove the
single pair link and plug the ATA into the 'voice only' master socket. But
an Openreach man replaced them both with an NTE5c and a VDSL Service Specific
Face Plate (SSFP), despite my explaining why I'd done it like that :-(

So now I have an NTE5c and a VDSL SSFP, and no easy way to connect from
an ATA to the existing phone wiring. Now it strikes me that it ought
to be possible to connect from the ATA to the BT phone socket on the
VDSL SSFP - but that I'd need to cut something(s) in the faceplate wiring
so that the phone socket on the faceplate doesn't get the filtered voice
signal.

It also strikes me that I'm probably not the first person to think of
this. Has anyone done it already and can explain what to cut ?

Aha, what I'm looking for is apparently a VRI Isolation Faceplate, shown
on page 14 of
https://www.btplc.com/SINet/SINs/pdf/STIN517v1p3.pdf

I wonder if they actually exist yet ?
Old July 31st 18, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
My A&A 10 pcm "Naked DSL" broadband line can dial through to 999, 111 and
freephone numbers. I am now encouraged to dust off my old 1899/18185/18866
type accounts to see whether they work and offer a further safety net to
make outgoing calls if ever all other means have failed. Are there any such
service with 0800 access using CLI or access codes?

All of the 1899/18185/18866 have an 0808 number ('for access from
NTL/Telewest' - it was that long ago). Though I'm not sure how competitive
the rates are these days - they seemed to drift upwards. Though a useful
option. Also, a lot of VOIP providers offer 'local access numbers' which are
sometimes 080x.

Some offer ringback services (eg Betamax/Dellmont ones). If you dial the
number of your DSL line, does the phone ring?

Theo
Old August 3rd 18, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Woolley

On 29/07/18 23:03, Graham. wrote:
Shouldn't that be the other way round?
FXS to telephones
FXO to exchange line

This is one of those areas where the marketing department messes things
up. An FXS interface is the interface presented by a phone. S for
station. An FXO interface is the interface implemented by exchange
(central Office).

However, what is marketed as an FXO adaptor actually presents an FXS
interface, as it is named in terms of what is on the the other end of
the wire. Similarly for an FXS adapter, which presents an FXO interface.

Old August 3rd 18, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 13:36:52 +0100, Graham. wrote:

[...]

I already do precicly what you propose. I have four extension sockets
around the house that are now isolated from the BT line and have the
FXS pott of an ATA "back-fed" into one of the sockets.

The simplest (although messy) way you could do this is unscrew and
remove the faceplate from the NTE5, then check that all the extension
sockets are now dead.

Find one of the ADSL filters that your ISP sent you that you didn't
need to use, plug it into the "hidden" socket inside the NTE5

Take the RJ11 - RJ11 and connect it between the filter and the router,
which should now sync up.

Optionally plug in a phone to the POTS socket on the router to access
the BT line in emergency/power faliure

Now, find the other filter your ISP sent, we are just using this as a
convenent adapter, not to filter anything. Plug one end of a secind
RJ11 - Rj11 lead into the socket on this filter and the other end of
the lead into the FXS port of the ATA. Plug the faceplate bodily into
the POTS socket on this filter (assuming the wires are long enough),
now your extesion sockets will have dialtone from the ATA.

Unfortunately this doesn't work with the new NTE5C - the home wiring is
connected on the backplate and accessed via an extra set of contacts on
the test socket.
Old August 3rd 18, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Unfortunately this doesn't work with the new NTE5C - the home wiring is
connected on the backplate and accessed via an extra set of contacts on
the test socket.

So I see, I confess I hadn't seen one before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkFMfB-DYmQ

So remove the faceplate permanently
Feed one of your extension sockets with the FSX port using the
supplied RJ11-RJ11 and an ADSL filter as an adapter. If you want a
phone at that position as well there is a convenient BT socket on the
filter. Couldn't be simpler.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 29/07/2018 12:04, Andrew Benham wrote:
[...]

The VOIP base station for my Gigaset DECT phones is an N300IP which is a
box that lives next to my router. It has a wired connection to the
router and a phone line connection. It can be configured to use a
variety of VOIP providers. No need for Wifi.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

[...]

That seems to be the right answe to the wrong question. Did you mean
to post it to the thread :-

"VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?."
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%