Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

Old December 29th 18, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On 29/12/2018 15:24, Andrew Benham wrote:

My VoIP is with AAISP who use a media gateway, so legit SIP and RTP
traffic all come from a known set of IP addresses. I've set the local
RTP ports to the low 5000s, so I can just allow through UDP 5000-5099
ports (which includes the 5060 SIP message port) from those addresses.
So far, no spam calls...

I must be lucky. I have 5 Sipgate numbers, one Gradwell number and one
from CallCentric. Never had a spam call on any of the UK ones. I have
had one or three on the US number, but CallCentric have a lovely feature
that lets you forward specific numbers to an announcement that tells the
caller that the number is no longer in use..! Brilliant..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old December 29th 18, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

On Sat 29/12/2018 16:47, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 29/12/2018 15:24, Andrew Benham wrote:

My VoIP is with AAISP who use a media gateway, so legit SIP and RTP
traffic all come from a known set of IP addresses.* I've set the local
RTP ports to the low 5000s, so I can just allow through UDP 5000-5099
ports (which includes the 5060 SIP message port) from those addresses.
So far, no spam calls...

I must be lucky. I have 5 Sipgate numbers, one Gradwell number and one
from CallCentric. Never had a spam call on any of the UK ones. I have
had one or three on the US number, but CallCentric have a lovely feature
that lets you forward specific numbers to an announcement that tells the
caller that the number is no longer in use..! Brilliant..!

I have three Sipgate and one voip.co.uk (now called First-Com?) numbers
and have never had a spam call yet. We also have a VM line (makes
broadband cheaper though heaven knows why) that we never use and it too
has never had a spam call.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 30th 18, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Woolley

On 29/12/2018 16:47, MissRiaElaine wrote:
I must be lucky. I have 5 Sipgate numbers, one Gradwell number and one
from CallCentric. Never had a spam call on any of the UK ones. I have
had one or three on the US number, but CallCentric have a lovely feature
that lets you forward specific numbers to an announcement that tells the
caller that the number is no longer in use.

The working hypothesis is that these spam calls are not on the provider
numbers, but direct to the phone hardware.
Old December 31st 18, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
J G Miller

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 10:28:12 +0000,
David Lawrence asked:

or what to do about them?

You might consider setting up a SIP honeypot to try and diagnose the
this (or future) problem calls.

Possible software packages to consider:

1) Sippot https://www.opentek.CA/sippot

This is actually just a shell script which manipulates iptable rules,
so very simple and effective, and also downloads an RBL (block list)
to apply as a filter to block out ip addresses. The RBL was last updated
2014-11-04 but of course you can always add more addresses to your copy.

2) Artemisa https://sourceforge.NET/projects/artemisa/

A python2 program with lots of features including ability to record
calls and has had a number of favorable reviews in the past.

3) Fabio's Honey https://github.COM/fabio-d/honeypot

Another python2 program which is not SIP specific but
traps SSH, telnet, SMTP, HTTP, SSL as well.

4) There is also OpenCanary (which Windoze only users can deploy)
which is an exensible framework honeypot with core support for SIP.

http://docs.opencanary.ORG/

The monster list of honeypots ("awesome-honeypots") on Github only
mentions Atemisa in the category of SIP/VOIP.
Old December 31st 18, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 30/12/2018 14:45, David Woolley wrote:
On 29/12/2018 16:47, MissRiaElaine wrote:
I must be lucky. I have 5 Sipgate numbers, one Gradwell number and one
from CallCentric. Never had a spam call on any of the UK ones. I have
had one or three on the US number, but CallCentric have a lovely
feature that lets you forward specific numbers to an announcement that
tells the caller that the number is no longer in use.

The working hypothesis is that these spam calls are not on the provider
numbers, but direct to the phone hardware.

Best of luck getting through my firewall.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old December 31st 18, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Lawrence

On 31/12/2018 01:29, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 30/12/2018 14:45, David Woolley wrote:
On 29/12/2018 16:47, MissRiaElaine wrote:
I must be lucky. I have 5 Sipgate numbers, one Gradwell number and one
from CallCentric. Never had a spam call on any of the UK ones. I have had
one or three on the US number, but CallCentric have a lovely feature that
lets you forward specific numbers to an announcement that tells the
caller that the number is no longer in use.

The working hypothesis is that these spam calls are not on the provider
numbers, but direct to the phone hardware.

Best of luck getting through my firewall.

Thanks for all the replies, I have not had any more problems since I
followed the advice I found on the Sipgate website.
Old January 2nd 19, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 23:00:06 +0000, J G Miller wrote:

[...]

Thinking about it, a home user with SIP phones which register only
with external SIP servers doesn't need the phones to be on port 5060.

It's tempting to move the SIP phones here to another port, then
install a honeypot on 5060. And then setup a _sip._udp SRV record
pointing at a third port - which also has a honeypot on it.

Except there's the usual issues with honeypots:
1/. Could attract more bad traffic, as the bad guys pass info
with others.
2/. What would a home user do with the details of the bad guys ?
Could blacklist their IPs I guess, but then if home users
aren't even configuring their firewalls....
Old January 2nd 19, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

[...]

Anonymous calls are blocked on my Asterisk server, but it is open for
external extentions to log in (CSipSimple on a couple of Android
phones)
I use fail2ban with very strict rules. One wrong login attempt, and
the IP is blocked indefinatlty. or until I manually clear the cache.
You can become very paranoic looking at the logs!

I use 5062 for these external extentions, not primaraly for
obfuscation, but simply that 5060 & 5061 are used internally for CHAN
SIP, and I now uae PJSIP for externals that seem to need a different
port.

And finally,
I have always declined the offer of a fixed IP adress, even when there
is no extra charge. My DynDNS domain name allows me to connect to my
servers whatever the IP happens to be, and I can change it at any time
to avoid being blacklisted, for example getting a second free trial of
web service.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%