New entrant to FTTP market

Old August 21st 18, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default New entrant to FTTP market

On Monday, 20 August 2018 20:57:29 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
On 20/08/18 20:02, Graham. wrote:
See: -

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...-homes-by-2020

Note the remarks about possible VOIP lock in towards the end.

Which I fail to understand. Isn't what's proposed the normal default
position everywhere, outside countries like PRC and North Korea?

So not having a choice as to which VoIP service you use is the normal
default then, is it..? Not sure I like the idea of all my Sipgate and
Gradwell numbers disappearing up the proverbial exhaust pipe.

I had to read it a few times to see what thet were saying.

It's like btinternet giving you BT BBV at landline rates, and then
blocking third-party VoIP. At least BT didn't do the last bit.

Their customers said Wow, a free second phone line, the poor darlings
had no idea what real VoIP was about.

They soon killed off domestic BT BBV.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

They slugged residential BBT first, by charging rental for it (previously included in broadband charge).

Once enough had dumped it they withdrew it and accidentally killed of business BBV without notice at the same time by switching off the servers. Total fiasco.

BBT included 'free' evening calls; BBV was capped to 5p local, 20p mobile, so both were useful in terms of least cost routing.

If you were clever you could capture the initialisation strings to the BT Hub and program other equipment (e.g. Gigaset) to make calls.
Old August 21st 18, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...-homes-by-2020

Note the remarks about possible VOIP lock in towards the end.

Voice has nothing to do with Internet provision.

A classic mistake made by phon cumpanies and cable cumpanies
and their trolls.

Internet has numerous VOIP service providers. e.g. Localphone.
They just need internet connection and are much cheaper therefore
from BT (British Telecum) VM and all other phon cumpanies
and cable cumpanies and their over priced crap phon services.

Read the article - you will be locked to theirs. OK techies will easily
work round that, but it is a lock in and probably a rip off.

No such thing with Internet.
Whatsapp, wechat, Localphone, skype etc does not require a real phone.
Old August 22nd 18, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 21 August 2018 19:12:05 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...-homes-by-2020

Note the remarks about possible VOIP lock in towards the end.

Voice has nothing to do with Internet provision.

A classic mistake made by phon cumpanies and cable cumpanies
and their trolls.

Internet has numerous VOIP service providers. e.g. Localphone.
They just need internet connection and are much cheaper therefore
from BT (British Telecum) VM and all other phon cumpanies
and cable cumpanies and their over priced crap phon services.

Read the article - you will be locked to theirs. OK techies will easily
work round that, but it is a lock in and probably a rip off.

No such thing with Internet.
Whatsapp, wechat, Localphone, skype etc does not require a real phone.

Obviously not, what service providers can do is [try to] block VOIP access either technically or contractually to force you to use their more expensive phone service.
Old August 22nd 18, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom.Evans

On 20/08/2018 17:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
See: -

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...-homes-by-2020

Note the remarks about possible VOIP lock in towards the end.

They updated at 4pm (what day they don't say) saying they wouldn't block
Voip.

To be serious does any fixed line ISP attempt to block third party Voip?
I know a few that offer their own service but none that block third
party services.
Old August 22nd 18, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 16:05:13 UTC+1, Tom.Evans wrote:
On 20/08/2018 17:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
See: -

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...-homes-by-2020

Note the remarks about possible VOIP lock in towards the end.

They updated at 4pm (what day they don't say) saying they wouldn't block
Voip.

To be serious does any fixed line ISP attempt to block third party Voip?
I know a few that offer their own service but none that block third
party services.

I would suspect $ky do. Some mobile providers do and blocking is more common in the USA, hotels etc.
Old August 22nd 18, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 22/08/18 18:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 16:05:13 UTC+1, Tom.Evans wrote:

To be serious does any fixed line ISP attempt to block third party Voip?
I know a few that offer their own service but none that block third
party services.

I would suspect $ky do. Some mobile providers do and blocking is more common in the USA, hotels etc.

No they don't, at least not here. We have several Sipgate and Gradwell
numbers on our Sky FTTC connection.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 22nd 18, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 16:05:13 UTC+1, Tom.Evans wrote:
On 20/08/2018 17:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
See: -

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...-homes-by-2020

Note the remarks about possible VOIP lock in towards the end.

They updated at 4pm (what day they don't say) saying they wouldn't block
Voip.

To be serious does any fixed line ISP attempt to block third party Voip?
I know a few that offer their own service but none that block third
party services.

I would suspect $ky do. Some mobile providers do and blocking is more common in the USA, hotels etc.

I've got Sky Broadband (ex BE) and SIP works perfectly well, mind you
as an ex BE customer I am "privileged" to be able to use my own
generic router. My understanding is that mainstream Sky BB customers
are contractually obliged to use the Sky supplied router, and I
suppose in principle that could bork SIP
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 22nd 18, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 22/08/18 22:07, Graham. wrote:

I've got Sky Broadband (ex BE) and SIP works perfectly well, mind you
as an ex BE customer I am "privileged" to be able to use my own
generic router. My understanding is that mainstream Sky BB customers
are contractually obliged to use the Sky supplied router, and I
suppose in principle that could bork SIP

I don't think it's a contractual obligation, I used a Fritzbox for a
while, although it took me ages to prise the login details out of tech
support to configure it. They did impress on me that I could not claim
support if anything went wrong, though.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 23rd 18, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 10:56:35 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 16:05:13 UTC+1, Tom.Evans wrote:
On 20/08/2018 17:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
See: -

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...-homes-by-2020

Note the remarks about possible VOIP lock in towards the end.

They updated at 4pm (what day they don't say) saying they wouldn't block
Voip.

To be serious does any fixed line ISP attempt to block third party Voip?
I know a few that offer their own service but none that block third
party services.

I would suspect $ky do. Some mobile providers do and blocking is more common in the USA, hotels etc.

What may not work is short code dialling (just as it doesnt work on VM
lines) since those seem to be BT specific.
and if you have to dial by hand a 3 to 6 digit short code reduces the
complications.

- but many VoIP providers have alternate access using normal phone
numbers - eg via an 0808xxxxxxx type access codes.

--
Stephen