Someone's "stolen" our line pair ;-)

Old June 10th 19, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Default Someone's "stolen" our line pair ;-)

Does that indicate that they had the wind up about HMG decreeing
a while ago that speech circuits would be moved entirely to (in
effect) VoIP by (was it?) 2025 which means that every customer
has to have a broadband connection and the implication of that is
that it will be either FTTP or FTTC.

The PSTN/ISDN telephone exchanges are end of life, 30 to 40 years old, so
Openreach turns them off in 2025, about 15 years behind the original schedule,
and stops taking orders for new lines from 2023.

But the National Infrastructure Commission only expects fibre to reach 15
million homes by then, and not all properties until 2033.

So copper local loop wires will continue for many years, and Openreach can
potentially use VoIP line cards in FTTC cabinets to provide voice only service
without broadband. Similarly to the way cable companies have been doing for 30
years (although not technically VoIP, just cabinet based concentrators).

Angus

Old June 10th 19, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 10 June 2019 11:02:03 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
On Mon 10/06/2019 10:25, Martin Brown wrote:
On 10/06/2019 09:56, NY wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

In places where line pairs are like hens teeth they can usually find
you one by DACSing some grannies although in my village they have
finally given up and put a new copper cable in as the old one had
basically rotted away in the ground due to ingress of water into it.

Ah, do BT still use DACS to multiplex two consumer lines over one
line-pair? I thought they were a thing of the past, like party lines,
since ADSL and VDSL came along.

Round here they still use it to free up real copper for ADSL circuits.

Anything to avoid putting in new wiring - new rules mean that they
cannot just do a very narrow slit trench and bury with wire any more -
they have to dig a proper trench with a conduit pipe at the bottom.

They chose to do it just as my roadside daffodils were in flower.

Does that indicate that they had the wind up about HMG decreeing a while
ago that speech circuits would be moved entirely to (in effect) VoIP by
(was it?) 2025 which means that every customer has to have a broadband
connection and the implication of that is that it will be either FTTP or
FTTC. Enforce utilisation of ducts now rather then burying a cable -
even if you use H&S as the 'reason' - you are half way there.

Ah, or course that will mean the duct is the wrong colour - missed that!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

You can visualise it now - "I couldn't find a green or grey duct guv', so we tried the yellow / red / blue / orange one..."

I had one like this ~2005 - a subbie for NTL dug from a new building to their duct (50m), but some pedestrianisation meant they actually dug to a main road about 25m further on and struck a major gas main. Road closed, buses diverted, premises evacuated.... They got a huge bill and another one for all the posh new paving blocks they ripped up in the getting there.
Old June 10th 19, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

I had one like this ~2005 - a subbie for NTL dug from a new building to
their duct (50m), but some pedestrianisation meant they actually dug to a
main road about 25m further on and struck a major gas main. Road closed,
buses diverted, premises evacuated.... They got a huge bill and another
one for all the posh new paving blocks they ripped up in the getting
there.

I wouldn't like to be the contractor (or his company) that "stole" our
line-pair. The engineer who came out was very angry that it had happened
without going through the proper "is it in use" checks (we had a dialling
tone until the day before, so the line wasn't dead, just "resting" between
one occupant and the next). He said the contractor had simply chopped the
cable at the pole and cabinet ends, without even applying the proper
insulation/termination - he'd left the cable in "a right mess" and the
engineer took photos to make an official complaint.

It's been referred to someone in "the underground team" to resolve,
hopefully by finding another pair that can be connected to us.