BT Broadband speed with HH6 (Smarthub).

Old January 18th 19, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside

Default BT Broadband speed with HH6 (Smarthub).

From Monday this week PC experienced very sluggish responses when
browsing. Responses seemed normal (browsing didn't seem any slower for
the first five minutes, then the browsing progessively goes slower and
slower. Reboot (power off / on) HH6 and the same happens again. (PC
connected via wireless n).

Run BT wholesale speed test and it returns 31 Meg on a line with a
32.33 Meg max (so says 'further' tests on BT speedtest website). Go
back to browsing and it is still slow as before.

Same on Tuesday and Wednesday morning and afternoon. Though
connecting via an alternate available TALKTALK router and line shows
no problems, browsing is fast as normal for over an hour.

However Wednesday late evening (10 pm) connected to the BT line and
HH6 show no problems - browsing as fast as it would 'normally' be.

Thursday moring and afterrnoon back to the sluggish slow browsing, but
a reboot of the HH6 speeds it all up for about 5 minutes and then back
to slowness. Again running BT Speedtest gives me a result of 30 to
31 M, but browsing still slow. Thursday evening (9:30 pm) browsing is
back to 'normal'.

Today Friday morning all starts off OK then return to slowness.
Connect to the other TALKTALK line and router and all is fast and OK.
Switch back to BT line and HH6 and it is slow again, but BT speed test
gives 29 - 30M speed.

I am convinced it is the BT line or the HH6. Hence I dig out my old BT
badged modem and TG582n ex my time with Plusnet, reconfig [1] for BT
broadband and connect up. Browsing is as fast as I would expect, no
waiting for pages to load - all seems OK and normal but I decide to
run BT Speedtest and I get a result of 16M.
(Similarly on another test site, but a third gives me a 25M result. I
am not bothered about these two as I always use the BT test site which
has always given me results in the 29M to 32M range, even in my days
of connection to Plusnet).

This intrigued me so I downloaded a large 246M file (libre office) and
observed the speed on netmeter. The vast majority of the download
exceeded the 30M rate. I repeated the download with the same result,
then ran BT sped test wich gave me a 15M speed!!!! (this was
confirmed by netmeter which had a max of17.9M.

I have been browsing for about two hours or so and with the Plusnet
kit and all is OK.

I am of the opinion that the HH6 is b*******d, but anyone care to
hazard a better guess or pass an opinion on the large range of speeds
in a short time span of about half an hour at 4 pm this afternoon.

[1] reconfig AFAICT was just a name change to:_
without password, but if anyone knows better
please tell me.

--
brightside S9
Old January 18th 19, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Fri 18/01/2019 21:35, brightside wrote:
From Monday this week PC experienced very sluggish responses when
[...]

The router might need a username with or without password, but it is of
no consequence as BT purely use the CLI of the line.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 19th 19, 02:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 22:13:59 +0000, Woody
wrote:

On Fri 18/01/2019 21:35, brightside wrote:
From Monday this week PC experienced very sluggish responses when
[...]

Ta Woody.

BT wholesale speed test at 0058 19/1/19 records 31.23M.

Is there something wrong with the network in the UK? Is there a major
lump of it non functional? 'It' was working OK for me last week !!
How would I find out?

OK now returning to the original problem with HH6. The reset button
appears to do nothing, zilch, nada. No lights go out !! It appears
fscked.

--
brightside S9
Old January 19th 19, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote:

On Fri 18/01/2019 21:35, brightside wrote:
From Monday this week PC experienced very sluggish responses when
[...]

You can go into the router yourself and do a soft reset, or more simply
take the power off the router for a minute or so - the latter probably
being more effective.

In case you don't know how to do the soft reset:
Open your browser and enter the router IP address which will be on the
router label and most likely 192.168.1.254
Select (usually) 'Advanced' which will ask for a password - again it is
on the label and is case sensitive.
Once in there the last select option will be Reset.

Old January 20th 19, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside

wrote:

On Fri 18/01/2019 21:35, brightside wrote:
From Monday this week PC experienced very sluggish responses when
[...]

Power on / off innefective. Goes slow after 5 minutes of browsing.

Further problems when attempting to talk to the Superhub via wireless
at 192.168.1.254 (wait 10 seconds for any response) I decided to do
factory reset from the back of the hub. It didn't work. (By that I
mean that hold paperclip in reset hole for 20 seconds, switch clicks
so it is pressed, and lights *should* go out and then it *should* go
through the power on sequence, or so one of BT's web sites says so.
The lights never went out.)

Connected direct to PC LAN, admin functions all OK. Did factory reset
from admin function and check settings. All good. Reinstalled the
hub and tested. All OK. Browsing as fast as it should be.

Dunno what it was. Brexit probably!

--
brightside S9
Old January 21st 19, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 18/01/2019 22:13, Woody wrote:

The router might need a username with or without password, but it is of
no consequence as BT purely use the CLI of the line.

Password agreed, username definitely not. Although you authenticate
against the CLI of the line a generic username of
is required. Actually the part before the
@btbroadband.com can be anything.