Changing DNS PTR entries

Old February 15th 20, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

Default Changing DNS PTR entries

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 07:58:20 Andy Burns wrote:

David Rance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

still gives rance.org.uk, rather than mail.rance.org.uk, which I'd
expect to upset mail servers expecting an exact forward/reverse match...

In fact, all that is necessary is the domain name. I had read
somewhere that the machine name can be a subdomain and it will still
match the domain in the PTR and go through.

Seems unusual that SMTP servers have got less particular than they used
to be, of course having the word "adsl" or "dynamic" in the rDNS used
to be an absolute no-no.

I think the use of subdomains for individual servers has always been
there. It enables larger organisations to run several servers within one
domain.

As you have seen, my Vodafone PTR starts off by returning "static..."
but it doesn't seem to help in confirming that it isn't dynamic. It
still comes from a pool which is usually suspicious of those trying to
spam.

David

Old February 15th 20, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

David Rance wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 18:49:29 Chris Green wrote:

Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:58, Graham J wrote:

Probably all this could be managed for you by a competent mail hosting
service. Is there a good reason for having your own server at your
property?

I'll leave David to answer what his reasons are.

For me, I run my own mailserver so I can track mail from my machine to
the recipients server. Using a relay only allows you to see tracking to
the relay server. You have to then blindly trust that it was further
relayed to the recipient.

So do I on a (nearly always) turned on and connected desktop machine.
SMTP is very robust at handling occasional breaks in service. Sending
machines will back off and try again, repeating until sent. Even when
my server was once off for a whole day no mail was lost, it was just
delayed somewhat.

Most servers will try every thirty minutes for six hours before they
give up. That is, genuine servers, not those which spray spam all over
the place.

It's actually more sophisticated than that generally isn't it? A
server will re-try after half an hour and then wait even longer before
the next re-try. I think it's usually at least 24 hours before they
give up completely.

--
Chris Green

Old February 15th 20, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you're right. I should have said "Some servers (in my
experience)...

I have a grey list operating here which delays acceptance with a
temporary refusal from unknown addresses by up to twenty minutes. That
is because a lot of spammers try only once and it prevents a lot of spam
getting in. Just occasionally, and it is very occasionally (about once a
year or even less), I notice a genuine mail coming in and they don't try
again after the first delay by Greywall.

David