Can I port a landline number to VOIP, who to use?

Old April 16th 17, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

Default Can I port a landline number to VOIP, who to use?

I currently have two landlines both with ADSL which, with load
balancing, gives me around 10Mb/s broadband. However we're getting
FTTC which means one line will suffice.

We'd like to keep the number on the second line, so:-

Can I port the landline to VOIP? (It's on the Waldringfield
exchange, 01473, if that's of any consequence)

If I can port the number who can I do it with?

I currently have VOIP accounts with Sipgate and SIPDiscount.

--
Chris Green

Old April 16th 17, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 16 April 2017 14:48:03 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
I currently have two landlines both with ADSL which, with load
balancing, gives me around 10Mb/s broadband. However we're getting
FTTC which means one line will suffice.

We'd like to keep the number on the second line, so:-

Can I port the landline to VOIP? (It's on the Waldringfield
exchange, 01473, if that's of any consequence)

If I can port the number who can I do it with?

I currently have VOIP accounts with Sipgate and SIPDiscount.

Voopfone will port it in - 20 then 2pcm.

Ported mine about a decade ago - no problems.

--
Chris Green

Old April 16th 17, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 14:44:12 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I currently have two landlines both with ADSL which, with load
balancing, gives me around 10Mb/s broadband. However we're getting
FTTC which means one line will suffice.

We'd like to keep the number on the second line, so:-

Can I port the landline to VOIP? (It's on the Waldringfield
exchange, 01473, if that's of any consequence)

If I can port the number who can I do it with?

I currently have VOIP accounts with Sipgate and SIPDiscount.

Yes.

Voupfone will do it for 20, plus an ongoing charge of 2 per month.

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

The port will effectivly cease the redundent line and ADSL, don't pre
warn your existing voice supplier, you could lose the number.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 16th 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

Graham. wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 14:44:12 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I currently have two landlines both with ADSL which, with load
balancing, gives me around 10Mb/s broadband. However we're getting
FTTC which means one line will suffice.

We'd like to keep the number on the second line, so:-

Can I port the landline to VOIP? (It's on the Waldringfield
exchange, 01473, if that's of any consequence)

If I can port the number who can I do it with?

I currently have VOIP accounts with Sipgate and SIPDiscount.

Yes.

Voupfone will do it for 20, plus an ongoing charge of 2 per month.

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

The port will effectivly cease the redundent line and ADSL, don't pre
warn your existing voice supplier, you could lose the number.

OK, thanks all.

--
Chris Green

Old April 17th 17, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Voopfone will port it in - 20 then 2pcm.

Ported mine about a decade ago - no problems.

AAISP similar - 1.20pcm.

Theo
Old April 17th 17, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Anthony R. Gold" writes:
On 17 Apr 2017 11:44:49 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Voopfone will port it in - 20 then 2pcm.

Ported mine about a decade ago - no problems.

AAISP similar - 1.20pcm.

What filtering do the various hosting companies offer?

I have been spoilt by the very rich control available from Callcentric for
calls to my USA numbers and wonder whether anyone offers anything similar
for UK numbers. AFAICT Sipgate offers their residential/basic users no
filtering options other than the one of sending all calls to voicemail.

Looking at the AAISP control panel...

ACR: off, withheld, unknown and witheld.
Whitelist only (10 entries I think).
There used to be an option to redirect rejected calls to a honeypot (
which I can't see just now).

There's also an option to have a ceased number announcement to
announce a replacement number to use instead (which you configure).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old April 19th 17, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

On 17/04/2017 12:45, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

[snip]

What filtering do the various hosting companies offer?

I have been spoilt by the very rich control available from Callcentric for
calls to my USA numbers and wonder whether anyone offers anything similar
for UK numbers. AFAICT Sipgate offers their residential/basic users no
filtering options other than the one of sending all calls to voicemail.

I use the pattern-matching autoforwarding functionality in my ATA to
dump unwanted calls eg. 084xxx

If you get a high volume you could go with Voipfone, who offer call
barring for 3 pcm:

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Call_Barring.php

Old April 20th 17, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Can I port a landline number to VOIP, who to use? Barring.

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 19:57:57 UTC+1, Mark wrote:
On 17/04/2017 12:45, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

[snip]

What filtering do the various hosting companies offer?

I have been spoilt by the very rich control available from Callcentric for
calls to my USA numbers and wonder whether anyone offers anything similar
for UK numbers. AFAICT Sipgate offers their residential/basic users no
filtering options other than the one of sending all calls to voicemail.

I use the pattern-matching autoforwarding functionality in my ATA to
dump unwanted calls eg. 084xxx

If you get a high volume you could go with Voipfone, who offer call
barring for 3 pcm:

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Call_Barring.php

Most seriously junk calls these days come from null or fake numbers, usually abroad and this won't help.

I usually end up just leaving the handset on the desk till they hang up these days.
Old April 20th 17, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

On 19/04/2017 22:03, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 19:57:56 +0100, Mark wrote:

On 17/04/2017 12:45, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

[snip]

What filtering do the various hosting companies offer?

I have been spoilt by the very rich control available from Callcentric for
calls to my USA numbers and wonder whether anyone offers anything similar
for UK numbers. AFAICT Sipgate offers their residential/basic users no
filtering options other than the one of sending all calls to voicemail.

I use the pattern-matching autoforwarding functionality in my ATA to
dump unwanted calls eg. 084xxx

If you get a high volume you could go with Voipfone, who offer call
barring for 3 pcm:

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Call_Barring.php

Thanks for that but it seems maybe no-one provides what I seek.

Just as GMail maintains a database for matching spam and then sends suspect
mail to a special spam folder, I was hoping for an analogous service where
calls from phone numbers previously reported to be spamming as well perhaps
anonymous, 08xx and other configurable filtered callers are automatically
sent to voicemail. That 166 call barring feature where one must first pick
up calls and only then can manually send them on to soundtrack of bad music
sounds more like a practical joke than a practical solution.

The ATA filtering I mentioned can do *exactly* what you want. The only
potential issue is the limited length of the blacklist, but it's not yet
full.

I can set a divert for any incoming call pattern-match to any
destination number, the latter of which can be a voicemail-only VoIP
account.

Old April 20th 17, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

On 20/04/2017 20:02, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 19:04:12 +0100, Mark wrote:

[snip]

The ATA filtering I mentioned can do *exactly* what you want. The only
potential issue is the limited length of the blacklist, but it's not yet
full.

I can set a divert for any incoming call pattern-match to any
destination number, the latter of which can be a voicemail-only VoIP
account.

I believe you are suggesting that change my phone equipment. Which brands or
models have those filtering features that you use?

"Selective Call Forward Settings" on a Linksys SPA-3102.

Google for the other Linksys ATAs that support the function.