Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Home Networking (Networking Newbie) - Wireless & Wired can they work together ? by GeoffP
Just got Netgear MR814V2 4 Port Wireless Router (811b), which requires a ethernet ADSL connector. I already have a USB ADSL Modem, which has been working Ok on an Ad Hoc network (2 computers) for a couple of months. I wanted to be able to have two more computers on the network (laptop & another desktop) and tried to integrate the router without much success. With three of the four computers...
July 20th 05 01:03 PM
by Rob Morley Go to last post
3 313
Help With Netwrok Speed by Jeff Gaines
I have just bought a Buffalo TerraStation with 4x250GB hard drives. I have set it up as 2x250 GB Raid 1 arrays for back-up. The Buffalo is connected to the PC on a 1GB network link and the indicator is blue, showing it is connected at that speed. I copied 47.5 GB of data on to one array last night and it took 8 hours 14 minutes. If my maths is correct that's 5.77 GB/hr or 46.15 Gb/hr or 0.01...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 19th 05 10:04 AM
by Jeff Gaines Go to last post
15 258
Gigabit V Fast Ethernet by Steven Campbell
About 12months ago I cabled up my house with Cat 5e running to all the rooms and terminating in a cupboard to a Router. I now notice most Motherboards are coming as standard with Gigabit LAN and Gigabit switches are coming down in price all the time. Is it worth while converting the cabling to Cat6? Would I notice a considerable speed difference if all PC's had Gigabit LAN? I've read a few...
July 18th 05 10:09 PM
by Ian Northeast Go to last post
2 244
32bit PCMCIA Network card by
Does anyone have a 32bit PCMCIA network card for sale? Alternatively, does anyone know where to get a resonably priced one near Basingstoke Hampshire? Thanks Rohit
July 18th 05 09:55 AM
by Go to last post
1 190
Measuring the traffc on my WAN? by Mick
I have a DG834G and desperately need to know how much bandwidth my connection is using per calendar month. I have installed netlimiter, as I read somewhere that this program allows to monitor the WAN without also recording LAN activity... Is that correct? Anyone know how I set it up to monitor just the WAN activity, as I use remote desktop and Remote Admin on the LAN, I don't want this...
July 17th 05 11:47 PM
by Alex Fraser Go to last post
1 162
3com by F9
I'm thinking of buying a 3com wireless ASDL/router/modem 11g. Are they any good? Has anyone got experience of these machines? Thanks.
July 17th 05 06:24 PM
by F9 Go to last post
0 266
Cannot Install PCMCIA network card by
I have a Toshiba Portege 3440CT running XP Pro SP2 with all updates. When I put my netgear FA 410TX (PCMCIA card 10/100 Mb Ethernet) into the PCMCIA slot, the PC recognises the card and installs the driver, but then reports a hardware problem. The lights come on and then go off. I know the card works beacause I used it prior to and post this problem in my IBM laptop.
July 17th 05 03:02 PM
by Go to last post
8 233
Any FTP & Router Setup Gurus Here? by Alex Fraser
"Pete" wrote in message ... BBand. Using: XP_SP1 Router: WGT624 (Netgear.) I'm trying to setup an occasional FTP. I'm using TYP_FTP as it's simple and all I need. However I am going bald over this
July 16th 05 10:55 PM
by Alex Fraser Go to last post
0 174
Not basic broadband sharing, balancing by Alex Bird
Basically, for a short event, we wish to pay a local household to upgrade their broadband for a month, and share this connection. This might seem crazy unless you've seen what BT charge for short-term leases, and how hard it would be on location. One thing which concerns me is how we ensure we keep our part of the bandwidth, say 1mbps, open. If they decide to download something from a fast...
July 16th 05 12:00 AM
by Alex Bird Go to last post
7 302
Belkin Wireless Router Connection Problems/Hanging/Freezing by Andrew Clancy
Hi, I have a problem with my Belkin Wireless Router (f5d7632uk4), and am hoping someone out there can help me. It slows down to a halt daily, to a point that I cant even connect to it via ethernet until I unplug it and start all over. I have read this is something to do with the security log growing too big, but it only ever shows 30 lines of the log, and clearing it doesn't help. (It's exactly...
July 15th 05 11:42 AM
by poster Go to last post
6 673
AOL - Correct Win98 setting for router config by ComPCs
I'm trying to sort out an issue on a Win98 machine connected to AOL via a D-link DSL-504T router. The setup has previously worked, so I know it *does* work, but for some reason it has stopped working. The MRU is set to 1400 on the router, and I have NAT in use. On my version, there is no MTU settings as per that at...
July 15th 05 12:21 AM
by George Go to last post
2 219
Direct Cable Connection + XP - W95 by Al Reeve
Hi all, not the usual that is discussed here, but networking nonetheless. I am trying to connect a W95 box with a XP one. The rules I have prevent me from opening the W95 box to add or remove anything so I am reduced to a direct serial cable connection. I've tried to establish a connection from both ends, installed IPX/SPX on the XP box, enabled guest, file and printer sharing, shared some...
July 14th 05 11:34 PM
by John Fryatt Go to last post
5 212
HELP with installing network printer by
Can any one help me with installation of a netwrok printer? I have an HP 4500N printer. It has a Jetdirect printer server J3111A inside. I have connected it to a lan switch. Also connected to the lan switch is my laptop. I was told I have to use a switch, as I dont have a crossover cable. I then tried to use Jet Web Admin to find the netwrok printer, but it cannot
July 14th 05 05:57 PM
by Go to last post
8 273
ICS port questions by Daniel
hi all i have ADSL (plusnet) shared over a peer 2 peer wireless lan and it works fine, thing is on the client pc on the network is given ip 192.168.0.51 via DHCP i want to setup port 4001 on tcp/udp for the client pc, my router/modem a Voyager 205 has options for NAT virtual server but i cannot figure out what settings i put in there as the adsl modem is on network ip 192.168.1.1 the...
July 13th 05 10:20 PM
by Steve Winograd [MVP] Go to last post
1 152
Belkin FD5-7630 ADSL Wifi Router - Speed by Brownie
Am I right to say that there is now way of showing the connection speed to the ADSL line on these routers?
July 12th 05 04:43 AM
by poster Go to last post
6 328
What does the future hold for ADSL? by David Wright
Just an odd musing really, given that I am deliriously happy with Broadband anyway, but I was wondering what the future holds for ADSL. I am in a marginal 512k max area - about 3km from the exchange. My ISP (Pipex) is offering 1Mb and 2Mb services, but I can't get either of these because of the distance. My 512k connection is very fast and stable, but one day I would like more! I read about...
July 12th 05 02:36 AM
by Sunil Sood Go to last post
7 247
Slow browsing on ICS by Trev Smith
hi all posted the other day about my ADSL not working in ICS, now have it working via Avirt soho 4.3, anyway in web browsing and downloading it only works at speeds of max 36kb/sec strange thing is i updated norton anti virus 2003 via liveupdate and it was at max speed of 230kb/sec, DOES ANYONE know why this might be? it seems it might be some sort of port that has higher speeds or am...
July 11th 05 08:29 PM
by Trev Smith Go to last post
0 180
1 PC, 2 connections - will this be ok? by [email protected]
Hi, I own a Dell Dimension 4600 PC which has been plugged into a wired broadband connection in my house at uni for about a year. I am now living back at home and we are in the process of setting up a wireless broadband connection for which I will be buying a wireless network card. Will alternating between these two "networks" (the wired connection
July 11th 05 02:09 PM
by Conor Go to last post
1 245
Any point getting an ADSL modem or should I get a router by thisisme
I've just bought the F5D8230 MIMO wireless router from Belkin which didn't come with an integrated modem but I really needed its unrivalled coverage. I now need to get an ADSL modem as mine is USB but the cheapest one is 30, whereas you can get a router with integrated modem for 40 and a wireless router for 45! Is an ADSL modem just completely worthless in that at least you've got...
July 11th 05 08:59 AM
by Paul D.Smith Go to last post
2 171
VNC to NTL Cbale Modem customer by Jon
Bloody NTL! I'm trying to VNC into my mums machine. The IP address reported by VNC server is different to the IP reported by www.whatismyipaddress.com I tried both and neither worked (Zonealarm shut down, windows firewall off)
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 11th 05 12:09 AM
by Linker3000 Go to last post
16 560