Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Run multiple Cat5 cables in single trunking? by Geoff Mills
Hi, I have a master socket ADSL faceplate splitter in my garage from where I run a cat5 cable to the router in the middle of the house, then radiate to LAN workstations from there. Now I want to put a server in the garage. Can I run the Cat5 cable to this server back in the same trunking that carries the primary ADSL to the centre of the house from the garage? -- Kind regards, Geoff Mills
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 20th 09 10:49 PM
by Harry Bloomfield Go to last post
19 450
One out of four PC has access ID request by Manlio
My home network is so composed: one US robotics 9107A router connected to a desktop, to an Access Point and to a network printer. On desktop (XP Pro)wired to the router Three laptops (One XP Pro and two XP Home) on the wireless side of the home network (see Access Point) Only one Laptop with XP Home is requested to enter User ID to access the printer or the network.
September 20th 09 08:25 PM
by Manlio Go to last post
3 140
Spate of faulty routers over past two weeks by Martin
Over the past two weeks I've encountered four routers (two Netgear DG834G or GT, two BT Voyager 210) which have failed with the same symptoms: - power, DSL, Ethernet lights flashing at random - PC connected by Ethernet gets no IP address This seems a hell of a coincidence. At least one of the routers (my own, a DG834GT) was connected to the mains and phone line via a surge protector; the...
September 15th 09 09:11 PM
by Martin Go to last post
2 186
problem with dual network ports by tg
Windows XP service pack 3 my PC has two network cards. One for general internet access (first port) and another (second port) for data collection from another device. I have to collect data on the second port, I can't do it on the first port. The second port ip settings are just ip address and subnet mask, it has no default gateway or dns settings. Problem is my PC sometimes 'chooses' the second...
September 12th 09 11:06 PM
by tg Go to last post
5 242
New LogMeIn App for Iphone to Access PC Remotely by alisha jones
LogMeIn application is a remote access application which allows your iPhone to be the extension of your computer. By one-click it offers access to your LogMeIn computers, directly from your Apple iPhone. All you need to do is create a LogMeIn account and add the computer ids you want to access remotely to your LogMeIn account. Read this full article at:...
September 8th 09 09:10 AM
by alisha jones Go to last post
0 246
Vista PC has intermittent problem getting IP address from Netgear router by Mortimer
I've replaced my dad's old Solwise router (which has now failed) with a Netgear DG834GT one. He has several PCs connected by Ethernet, plus a standalone wireless access point (the Solwise did not have wireless) and a 4-port switch to provide more Ethernet points than the four on the router. All the PCs except one are XP Home. Since I replaced the router, his Vista Home Premium PC has had...
September 6th 09 10:56 PM
by Conor Go to last post
1 272
ZyXEL Product Question by Anthony R. Gold
Can anyone tell me any difference(s) between ZyXEL P-660HW-D and P-660HW-T? Thanks for any pointers or advice. Tony
September 6th 09 09:42 PM
by Dave N Go to last post
9 270
Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags by Ric
If anyone's thinking of buying a Netgear WNHDE111 to give them a wired bridge to an 802.11n wireless network, then don't. Despite the name, they only bridge between 2 WNHDE111's - they won't bridge to any other existing wireless network. *******s.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 24th 09 05:50 PM
by Ric Harris Go to last post
13 388
Laptop not connecting by Wifi at some places??? by John Parry
Just a quick query in case someone has any ideas... I have my sisters laptop with me at the moment because she cannot connect to her own network at home, despite both her sons being able to connect to the very same system from their laptops using wifi. To ease the situation of connecting to my wifi (when she visits) I have set the same WEP key on both herwireless router and on mine (both...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 19th 09 10:16 AM
by Geo Go to last post
10 268
Stupid AOL technical support by Mortimer
I was called out to sort out a customer's internet connection with AOL after she'd phoned AOL technical support and they'd got her to reset the router to its factory state and then ended the call without telling her how to reconfigure the router with ADSL username and password and VPI/VCI. What planet are these AOL technical support droids on? At least my customer now knows not to press the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 18th 09 10:29 PM
by Chris Whelan Go to last post
12 448
extending wireless network with satellite dish by Neil Morris
Dear all Say for example I live in the countryside and my neighbour(aprox 1 mile away) has internet connection. If I use a satellite dish with a extended antenna connected to my wireless router, could I make an internet connection without problems?
August 18th 09 08:49 PM
by Geoff Lane Go to last post
3 754
netgear log files by John Martin
I get a lot of router log entries like this:- Tue, 2009-08-18 04:04:46 - TCP Packet - Source:218.104.178.251,16700 +Destination:78.148.170.204,22 - There are usually half a dozen or so daily, but with different source addresses. Are they genuine probes or the router being paranoid?
August 18th 09 07:18 PM
by John Martin Go to last post
0 272
Homeplug to *extend* a network? by Nozza
I am thinking of using homeplug to extend an existing netwrok. everything on the network is working fine, there's simply a room where I can't get access to the wired and wireless network. If I were to buy two homeplug adapters, one for the currently inaccessible room, and one to attach to the existing router, would the homeplugged computer be able to access all the other network devices and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 17th 09 02:23 PM
by Dave J. Go to last post
59 1,226
Advice needed on a home network setup by Richard Lobb
Hi I have two computers and a laptop - All HP running XP home or Pro - all can use the internet by plugging them into the broadband cable modem separately and switching the modem on. So I thought that I could say get a Belkin fast Ethernet Switch to connect them together to the internet and share files - Is this as easy as Belkin say ??- namely simply connect them through the switch and all...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
August 13th 09 07:17 PM
by Rob Morley Go to last post
22 598
Comtrend powerline problems by Ric
Hi All, I've got 3 Comtrend powerline 200MB networking devices in the house, which have been working fine for a year or so. One's feeding my Xbox running XBMC and playing SD (and some slightly HD) video off a server in the loft. Recently it's been having problems with choppy playback, and it appears to be poor speeds on the Comtrends doing it. I've swapped them around (have 3, only using 2 so...
August 12th 09 10:54 AM
by Ric Go to last post
0 717
Netstumbler-like software for displaying wireless channel by Mortimer
Is there any other software similar to Netstumbler which can display the channel and signal strength of wireless networks that a PC can "see". Unfortunately Netstumbler doesn't support the wireless adaptor (Broadcom 4322AG a/g/n) in my laptop, whereas it did in my old (dead) laptop. When I'm setting up wireless networks it's useful to be able to scan the networks in range to make sure I set...
August 6th 09 11:02 PM
by Conor Go to last post
4 318
Belkin adapter problem after malware elimination by Josh Reece
I have a Belkin G adapter on a desktop machine (OS W2K). The router is a Belkin N1. Yesterday I bought PC Tools Spyware Doctor and ran a scan. I eliminated the recommended stuff, and my wireless setup stopped working. I restored the files from the Spyware quarantine section, but the wireless still won't work. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled the Belkin Setup Utility. The problem...
July 24th 09 11:19 PM
by Josh Reece Go to last post
2 273
Network seems to grind to a halt by Barry
I am having an intermittent problem where my network seems to break down or grind to a halt. About nineteen out of twenty times it works fine and then a failure. The network setup is a Netgear DG834GT modem/router to which two PC's are hard wired and two laptops wireless. There is then a twenty metre cable to a multi point ethernet swtch which has five PC's connected to it; it is thsi...
July 21st 09 08:40 PM
by Barry Go to last post
2 177
Wi-Fi reduced bitrate by Dave Farrance
With the increasing Wi-Fi congestion in my neighbourhood (all 802.11g it seems), I've found that it's difficult to connect to my router if I take my laptop into the garden. However, after fiddling with a few settings in the laptop's WiFi driver, I found that reducing the maximum bitrate from 54M down to 11M allowed me to connect and communicate reliably. Why should that be? Does reducing the...
July 21st 09 11:39 AM
by Conor Go to last post
4 214
Vista's wireless connection software is much less resilient than XP's? by Mortimer
Is it just my laptop or is Vista's software for establishing a connection to a wireless network much less resilient than XP's. I'm talking about the buillt-in software rather than any proprietary software supplied by a wireless adaptor vendor. My Vista laptop will often not re-connect to an existing network automatically if I reboot it or wake it up from sleep. Sometimes it can take several...
July 16th 09 02:49 PM
by Conor Go to last post
1 137
Post New Thread