Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
GMT Monday 26th August 2013 by Flyig u 213 + on desktop
Mornin' from a dry, still, grey, dull and overcast South Yorkshire. No sign of any blue or BYT up there as yet today, just high altitude complete light grey cloud cover. Temperature up the jungle is 15.5C (59.9F), barometric pressure on the up at 1022 mB and relative humidity at 62%. WW reckoned it was 15.6C, 1022 mB and 92% in Sheffield at 10:25. Forecast is for partly cloudy 'til...
August 26th 13 10:45 AM
by Flyig u 213 + on desktop Go to last post
1 3,081
Wifi Antennas by gargoyle60
I need some advice please? I have a wired router with an attached Wireless Access Point (ZyXEL WAP3205). The WAP is centrally located in a hallway cupboard at a height of approx. 6 feet. It has two of the short standard rubber-duck antennas. I am having some trouble with signal quality inside my home, which is solid brick construction. I have 4 IP cameras, two of which send a clear signal but...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 19th 13 04:04 PM
by Daniel James Go to last post
30 10,457
Windows 7 Networking by Jeff Gaines
I have just carried out a clean install of Win 7 x64 and it can't find my Buffalo Terastation - even though I added an entry in hosts to try and help Win7's brain dead networking. I need the NAS to show it in Explorer since that's the only way I can pick the path in various programs (specifically backup apps ATM). I can get there via a shortcut, I can ping the Buffalo by name but will the...
August 13th 13 11:42 PM
by Michael Chare Go to last post
7 2,520
Sudden problem with sharing wifi printer. by Flyig u 213 + on desktop
My all in printer is an Advent Premium WiFi AWP10. I have used it OK for a couple of years sharing between an Advent 4211C Netbook (wifi connected) and a Novatech Desktop (usb connected). without warning a few days ago the netbook wouldn't connect with the printer. I checked my router pages and found that it seems to be connected there OK, both the netbook and desktop will connect...
July 30th 13 05:23 PM
by Flyig u 213 + on desktop Go to last post
1 2,494
dyndns changes by Mike Scott
I seem to have come unstuck in using dyndns. For some years, I've been using their free service to provide a target for my domain's MX record. They used to require the address to be updated monthly (or thereabouts) to keep it live; all worked well. Now they've changed the rules, and require that one log into the accounts area monthly instead. Tedious, and if I'm away when the 5-day warning...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
July 29th 13 03:03 PM
by Rob Morley Go to last post
22 7,652
Network Speed by Jeff Gaines
I have just copied 18 files from my desktop to my laptop, desktop is connected to router via a Homeplug AV running at 187Mbps according to its utility program, laptop via WiFi at 54Mbps The 18 files amounted to 864 MB and took 8' 53" to copy - 1.62 MB/s. Putting decimal places in the right place isn't a strength of mine but that must be around 12.96 Mbps? Both machines are running Win 7 x64...
July 3rd 13 03:04 PM
by Dave Saville Go to last post
1 2,432
bt's homehub by Mike Scott
Having last week moved to BT's broadband (from Be - who totally mucked up their mail server; I'm not that impressed by BT now I've moved: from fire to frying pan, I think :-) ) I've been looking at the homehub 3 that came 'free'. I'm using my existing netgear for the broadband modem, and so have been able to play with the HH3's PPPoE interface, that would normally plug into their Infinity...
May 9th 13 02:57 PM
by Mike Scott Go to last post
4 2,917
does this NG exist? by Nollaig MacKenzie
On 2013.04.14 10:05:33, the amazing declared: On 14/04/13 08:55, Chris Whelan wrote: On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:03:11 -0700, Nollaig MacKenzie wrote: apologies for noise. Yes, but it get very little traffic.
April 15th 13 05:51 AM
by Nollaig MacKenzie Go to last post
0 2,745
Problems reconfiguring a Linksys/Cisco EA2700 with a different localIP address by Henry Law
I have a new EA2700 which I'm about to introduce into my local network. I have always changed the default 192.168.1.1/24 network to one of the other RFC1918 blocks so I set out to do that again. The configuration screen allows me to change the IP address of the router to (say) 10.1.1.1 but the DHCP address range is hard coded in its first three octets, that is to say 192.168.1.--- Damn...
April 14th 13 07:38 PM
by Kord Martin Go to last post
4 6,695
access point to repeater to ethernet client to ap good idea? by [email protected]
Currently my internet comes from a standard adsl wifi router which gets the internet and organizes the local ip address's. Then to a repeater on the end of a barn. This allows the shed of on the far side of the barn to use the house's wifi via the repeater even though there is a barn in the way. But you can only get wifi if you are in the window of the shed facing the end of the barn with the...
April 14th 13 04:21 PM
by grinch Go to last post
6 3,681
Wireless access system by Kev0360
Hi, I need to install a system with a switch going to 8 wireless access points, preferably using POE for a small set of apartments. I need to be able to manage the outputs via a web interface and have some control on access, throughput etc. The broadband is provided by a BT homehub 3 Can anyone recommend products to suit please?
April 11th 13 06:43 AM
by Kev0360 Go to last post
0 4,578
odd packets being blocked by firewall by Mike Scott
I'm puzzled. I've got a pf firewall running on a freebsd server. It logs (while blocking) a lot of inbound packets from the net to a specific high port number 31534, and a weirdly consistent ack tcp field. The source port often (always??) seems to be a well-known port number. For example, from the top of the pf log with tcpdump and and grepping for 31534: 2013-03-18 15:38:18.426396 rule...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 25th 13 09:04 AM
by Mike Scott Go to last post
10 4,292
Changing operating system on home network by Bob H
I have installed Windows 2008 SP1 networking system, but it keeps losing connection with my other computers, and I am getting a bit fed up with it. After a search on Google , its a known problem apparantely. Anyway,l have WHS 2008 on a separate drive to my Raid1 drives, which is driven by a hardware raid controller, If that is right, so its not linked to WHS 2008. What I want to do now...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 15th 13 09:50 AM
by frozen Go to last post
17 11,306
HELP: Password and home network problem. by nosey
Hello everyone and season greetings I hope someone can help me sort this annoying problem which I'm clueless about. I have a main desktop PC (non-wi-fi) which is directly connected by a cable to my BT Home Hub. I also have two laptops which have been set up to use the wi-fi so as to connect to the Internet and connect to the home network (workgroup??) to access files on the main desktop. I...
January 29th 13 07:31 AM
by Jack Ouzzi Go to last post
9 2,469
Mixed Homeplugs by Geoff Lane
I have three homeplugs in my network, 2 Devolo 200mbps units and one 7dayshop 200mbps unit. All work fine. Bought 2 more 7dayshop 200mbps units, can I get them to connect into the network, can I hell. What's more, taking out the Devolo units and trying to use just the three 7dayshop units I still can't get them to connect.
January 3rd 13 10:53 PM
by Geoff Lane Go to last post
6 2,324
Recommendations for a home wifi-enabled router? by Henry Law
I have BT Infinity, and I want to put a second router "inside" the BT router, giving me both a DMZ and a second layer of insulation against the outside world. I have favoured Linksys routers in the past but their current range are all a strange shape, in the interests of being living-room-friendly I suppose. The EA2700 for example (picture here...
November 29th 12 03:21 PM
by Henry Law Go to last post
2 2,514
Configuring multiple routers? by DaveC
The Comcast service comes into a Motorola cable modem (SB6121). Plugged into the modem's Ethernet port was an Airport Extreme base station. This provided wifi service to this small office building for more than a year. Now there is a need for adding to that some Ethernet capability. (Yes, the Airport has Ethernet ports, but it is located high up where plugging in Ethernet cables is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
November 23rd 12 11:42 PM
by Toby Go to last post
21 7,889
wifi repeaters by Simon Finnigan
Hi all, Just after some advice. I'm looking into getting a wifi repeater to extend my wireless coverage. I'm curious though - do they use the same channel as the original access point, or a different channel? Anyone able to suggest any decent way of doing this, cheaper the better and I'm happy to buy old kit and reflash it :-)
September 28th 12 10:33 PM
by Andrew Gabriel Go to last post
8 3,387
Old Buffalo Linkstation HD-H300LAN - update to play newer file formats? by Jon Parker
I'm reading this wiki http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Main_Page but it's mightily confusing to me. Can the old buffalo unit be flashed to play newer formats? EG .mkv, newer version of WMV? I'm no stranger to flashing devices but Linux / Unix etc is way out of
August 30th 12 12:42 PM
by Jon Parker Go to last post
0 3,016
Networking equipment for sale by New Sensations
I have a number of brand new CAT 5 E patch panels and wall outlets as well as CAT5 E cable and connectors all brand new and still boxed for more information please contact me on
2 5,777
Post New Thread

Display Options
Showing threads 41 to 60 of 4670