Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Britain lags Europe in broadband technology. by DB.
Britain is lagging behind Europe in broadband technology. The UK lags behind other European countries, such as Sweden, Norway and Slovenia, in the number of households with access to high-speed fibre-to-the-home broadband internet services Countries such as Sweden, Norway, Andorra and Slovenia lead the way with more than 10 per cent of all connections being fibre broadband - the fastest...
October 1st 09 05:56 AM
by Bandwidth Go to last post
8 399
3 Mobile Broadband - Adult Restrictions by Stuart
I wonder if anyone can help me. I bought two Skypephone S2 mobiles from 3 a year ago, both were purchased at the same time with the same credit card, as a pair. I have been using one of them regularly until recently, accessing many web sites via the handset and via the inbuilt modem using a laptop. Recently I decided to start using the other handset because the first one had been dropped and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 1st 09 01:20 AM
by Stuart Go to last post
21 928
Solwise SAR-600E with NAT and firewall off blocks incoming connections by Geoff Clare
I'm trying to set up a Solwise SAR-600E ADSL router to do simple routed IP. I have unticked the NAT and firewall boxes in the WAN settings and set the LAN address of the router to the same as the WAN address it gets from my ISP. This works fine for accessing the Internet from computers on the LAN, but when I try to use ssh from a computer on the Internet to one on my LAN, it can't connect (times...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 30th 09 02:13 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
12 533
Plusnet Poland by Spamtastic Spastic
I was amused to find some lame hacking and spam attempts this morning in my snort logs, not by the amateur nature of it all, but by the provider: inetnum: 95.40.0.0 - 95.40.255.255 netname: PLUSNET descr: Polkomtel S.A. descr: Warszawa country: PL admin-c: PKL1-RIPE tech-c: PKL1-RIPE status: ASSIGNED PA
September 30th 09 01:06 PM
by Spamtastic Spastic Go to last post
8 211
UK Routers/ADSL Modem/Switches by Jack Ouzzi
Hi, Anyone know if UK Routers will work in Germany?? Moving soon and have a few 'spares' as well as my own Linksys WAG200G ... I think the German connection to the line filter (RJ11?) is slighlty different, but the 'router' end appears the same ... or is it?? TIA
September 30th 09 06:16 AM
by Tops Go to last post
6 349
O2 Broadband Opinions Wanted by Grapefruit Man
Does anyone use O2 as their broadband provider? Any opinions as to their service?
September 29th 09 07:08 PM
by zeitgeist Go to last post
1 216
A Home Of Tolerance by المنيب الى ربه
A Home Of Tolerance Media speculation since the horrific terrorist attacks on America has pointed the finger at Muslims and the Arab world, and that has meant ordinary citizens of the US and other Western countries becoming easy prey for anti-faith hooligans. Shame. Sadly, the latest horror to hit the US looks to have been caused by people of Middle Eastern origin, bearing Muslim names. Again,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 25th 09 10:16 PM
by Gaz Go to last post
10 507
Newbie With Encryption Query by EW
I have Broadband on order . What puzzles me is encryption and my query is hard to explain but I will have a go. If I have two laptops and set the encryption (accidentally) on one of them to one of the lower levels would the router then send the lower level signal automatically to laptop 2 as I presume you cant have two types running. If the router is already set to high secure encryption...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 25th 09 09:27 PM
by Mike GW8IJT Go to last post
21 468
USB Modem Stick - Vodafone by nothing here
Does this offer apply in Vodafone stores? http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband-devices/usb-modem-stick-topup-and-go?compatible=false
September 25th 09 02:26 PM
by Helen Deborah Vecht Go to last post
8 545
Vodafone payg broadband dongle by Mick
I am not in an area that has 3G but fast enough for getting emails and a quick browse. What I would like to know is if I left it running 24/7 and just uploading a 5kb file every minutes would it keep working and what would I get charged. I shouldn't suppose it will be allowed but it would be fine for when we have a landline fault Mike
September 25th 09 02:16 PM
by Helen Deborah Vecht Go to last post
1 332
Stuck On "Acquiring Network Address" by EW
Got a black (Sky) Netgear router , my activation date was yesterday. Plugged it in today ,the lights lit as they should including the Internet light from flashing amber,to amber then steady green. Both when trying by Ethernet and Wireless I am getting a message "Acquiring Network Address" and not progressing further with the connection. I have two XP laptops and have the same problem on...
September 25th 09 12:32 PM
by Graham J Go to last post
8 387
"Security in router link" TIA by sandy58
My main computer linked to spare PC by dongle. Will the spare PC be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions regarding software, please? TIA
September 24th 09 07:44 PM
by sandy58 Go to last post
2 205
Using Ethernet Connection For First Time by EW
My SKY Broadband activation date is looming and despite reading the blurb I have some concerns regarding the initial connection via Ethernet. A Bit of background .. I have two recent laptops both with Ethernet ports running XP. I also have an old Windows98 desktop with an Ethernet PCI card not yet installed although it includes Windows98 in its specifications. At present I am on dialup and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 24th 09 02:46 PM
by Spamtastic Spastic Go to last post
61 775
Demon splurges details of 3,600 customers in billing email by Gordon Darling
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/23/demon_password_giveaway/ Demon Internet sent thousands of business and government subscribers an email this morning telling them all about a new e-billing system, and tacked on details, including passwords, for 3,600 customers. Regards Gordon
September 24th 09 09:31 AM
by pete Go to last post
4 329
Is Sky Netgear DG834GT locked? by bod43
Hi, Is a "Sky Brtoadband" Netgear DG834G likely to be locked? Can it be unlocked without mucking about with hardware (such as speedtouch requires)? Any ideas as to the process? I had a bit of a look but nothing definitive popped out.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 23rd 09 07:31 PM
by Mike Tomlinson Go to last post
21 980
o2 customers risk prosecution due to security problem by Mark Carver
Roger wrote: If you currently use the o2 Wireless Box 2 or 3 you will no doubt be aware that o2 is supplying the routers and encouraging people to use them KNOWING there is a security problem. Well I received the following e-mail today from O2 presumably regarding this issue:- Quote:-
September 15th 09 06:51 PM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
1 240
best value short term internet service in uS by washbison
Have wifi and modem dongle in UK but what is best way of staying connected in the us for a short period of a few weeks? regards Rob
September 15th 09 05:40 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
1 196
BT Scotland by Mick
Anybody know if Brendan Dick is still director for BT Scotland?
September 15th 09 05:38 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
8 466
Pigeon 'faster than broadband' by DB.
A Durban IT company pitted an 11-month-old bird armed with a 4GB memory stick against the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm, Telkom. Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8248056.stm -- DB.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 15th 09 10:12 AM
by Nigel Cliffe Go to last post
28 766
21cn pstn? by les
Im with aol at the moment and pay 35 per month including unlimited download and up to 8mb (only get 1.5mb) plus talk anytime, plus I pay BT 11.50 per month for line rental. I have till 31st May in the contract but can buy out at 18 per month so would cost 152, have noticed that prices have dropped a lot since I signed up. Am considering moving to a contact with another company, not sure which...
September 14th 09 11:07 PM
by J.R.Hartley Go to last post
3 186
Post New Thread