Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Any reason I shouldn't be with BE ? by Eeyore
As regulars here will know I've been very pleased with the service provided by Idnet but a recent offer from BE for their 'value' service has made me consider them. It's a 8Mbps service, as I understand it still ADSL2+ but capped at 8Mbps. For a 12 month sign up at 6.75 p.c.m. ( half the normal price ) you get 'unlimited downloads' and a free 4 port router with wireless 802.11g too. Offer...
November 27th 09 11:38 PM
by Eeyore Go to last post
7 240
PlusNet goes from bad to worse! by David
"Vet Tech" wrote in message ... My Plusnet connection drops from 5300Kbps in the morning to 270 Kbps between 4pm and 8pm every day. I'm paying 15 per month ( under one of their old premium packages) so I reckon they are taking money under false pretenses.
November 27th 09 03:51 PM
by David Go to last post
0 275
How long does a MAC code take? by Philip
I've asked my current supplier for a MAC code and they've advised me that it takes up to 5 days. I had an idea that it was usually a lot faster, and I've read of people receiving them in a matter of hours... Any thoughts?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 25th 09 07:27 PM
by PeterC Go to last post
38 1,021
ANY GOOD: Thomson 585 wireless router by Paul
I'm in the UK. I've got cable broadband at home and want to switch to ADSL broadband. The ISP will provide a Thomson 585 v7 wireless router. Is it a low grade fault-prone unit which should be replaced. Or it is half decent? My needs are straightforward:
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
November 25th 09 11:57 AM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
16 1,277
Restricted access to news servers. by Michael Chare
In the recent past I have often had difficutly downloading new neswgroup message headers. My PC does not get a response from any of the news servers that I normally use. This happens both with my ISP's news server (nntp.dsl.pipex.net) and servers such as Microsoft Communities (msnews.microsoft.com), and often occurs in the morning and afternoon. Access to web pages at this time is generall...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 22nd 09 10:18 AM
by fred Go to last post
30 794
[] Caller ID logger by Jack
On 17:21 23 Oct 2009, Harry Bloomfield wrote: jackson brought next idea : I want a Caller ID device which remembers at least 100 calls and displays the full information. Looking around, I think there are fewer standalone CLID display units than there used to be.
November 20th 09 12:32 PM
by Adrian C Go to last post
2 250
Dialthrough access to 0844? by Grant
I need to dial an 0844 number from my Orange contract mobile. According to the price guide it looks like it costs 10p/min. Is there a dialthrough provider who will connect to 0844 numbers or am I better looking for rocking horse ****? TIA.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
November 20th 09 08:25 AM
by Tel Go to last post
11 795
Thinking of Be Unlimited - what's the view? by Philip
I'm currently looking to leave my existing ISP (PlusNet) and head over to Be Unlimited. The two considerations I have are that they don't offer email or nntp access. I gather that they do have SMTP servers so I guess I could route my emails to gMail and pick them up from there, then send them through Be. As for nntp, that's an problem, as I don't think there are many free public nntp...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
November 19th 09 08:24 PM
by Elder Go to last post
14 495
Does anyone else have problems with Orange Broadband? by [email protected]
My daughter has a broadband account with Orange. However, a fault has developed and her system does not remain connected for more than a minute or so. Other routers and cables have been tried, but all give the same results. The fault was reported to Orange over a month ago. Orange have said it's a user name/password problem, but it does connect and has occasionally downloaded an email...
November 19th 09 03:31 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
4 283
Anyone know anything about this broadband provider by Dave
http://www.directsavetelecom.co.uk/ms/homebroadband_family.html anygood ????? I'm looking for 8meg and aground 15-25Gb month usage month Dave
November 19th 09 02:59 PM
by Impy85 Go to last post
5 451
ZEN warn of PHISHING mail.. by Spamtastic Spastic
Seen quite a lot relating to other ISP's but have seen some for ZEN - they are now warning of this: We are aware of phishing emails targeting customers, purporting to originate from Zen Internet. These emails have the subject: "your mailbox has been deactivated" or similar, with a file attached. Virus scanners should flag this as being infected with a Trojan virus. Zen advises that you do...
November 18th 09 08:23 AM
by Spamtastic Spastic Go to last post
2 377
BT router error message by David
"Excessive sessions warning Error: The following devices on your network are using a large number of internet sessions. The most likely cause of this is a "blaster" type virus ....." I have run Malware, Virus checkers etc. and no problems found. This message would not go away, even after reboot of router and restart of computer. Only way to get gong again was to click " Do not show again" box.
November 17th 09 07:03 PM
by kraftee Go to last post
6 407
FTP problems tonight??? by GA
Anybody else having problems ftp'ing stuff to web space. I've been trying to upload a group of photos for about an hour now and I'm finally down to the last one which just won't go completely. About 3/4 of the file goes, the connection drops and then filezilla re-connects and asks if I want to overwrite then nothing!! GA
November 16th 09 07:31 PM
by GA Go to last post
1 257
Wireless router advice please by dfrog
I currently have BT HomeHub2 router for BT Broadband/BT Vision and PS3, and I'm struggling a bit playing Gran Turismo 5 Prologue on PS3 - I'm getting lots of 'failed to connect to host' when trying to join a race (maybe 5 fails to 1 connect sometimes). PC is wireless to router, BT Vision box and PS3 are wired (cat5). Network test on PS3 gives download speed of 6.5Mbs (ish) I have port forwarded...
November 16th 09 10:26 AM
by dfrog Go to last post
5 252
Otelo by T
I wish to make a complaint against Tiscali to Otelo but am having trouble finding their complaint form online. Can anyone tell me where to find it or if they have a copy email it to my thowaway account here? Thanks
November 15th 09 08:34 PM
by Roger Go to last post
2 379
EntaNet traffic shaping by Chris Davies
Has anyone else noticed that EntaNet has started traffic shaping (prioritising "interactive" traffic over "non-interactive" traffic), with a view to replacing its ALT system? I've not seen it being discussed anywhere, so just wondered if this had been slipped in under the radar. Chris
November 15th 09 07:46 AM
by spud Go to last post
3 321
helloooo by Graham.
-- Graham. %Profound_observation%
November 14th 09 07:38 PM
by Spamtastic Spastic Go to last post
2 243
smtp1.bethere.co.uk down by Graham.
be smtp server down from at least 1500 to 1800. Is it the same for other users, and is this a common occurrence? -- Graham. %Profound_observation%
November 14th 09 07:38 PM
by Spamtastic Spastic Go to last post
7 490
Strange BB issue by lloyd
Dad's just moved in to a property in the sticks and had an issue with line noise on PSTN, BB was fine with occasional disconnects. They changed wires on the pole and noise has gone. BB line was fine for a few weeks but now constant disconnects and downstream noise goes from +10 to -10 up and down. Downstream speeds also drop as low as 160kbps, though upstream stays constant at 400kbps. Lines all...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 14th 09 05:31 PM
by lloyd Go to last post
75 1,468
IS BT deliberately setting high noise margins to reduce exchangestress? by The Natural Philosopher
I ask, because having switched from line A with ISP A, gaily synching at 6dB margin and achieving 4000 synch rates, despite having noise margin reset LINE B with ISP B, is now on 12dB margin synching reliably at just over 3000Kbps..This is at the same premises. The ISP claiming that BT cant, or wont, hardwire my noise margin. I am wondering if indeed they simply cant supply adequate...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
November 12th 09 10:31 PM
by alexd Go to last post
26 641