Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Fantastic BT offer! by Charles Unt
I had a rather interesting phone call from BT last evening about their broadband offerings. After explaining that I was very happy with my ISP and GBP 14.40 a month charge, the BT droid insisted that he could give me broadband cheaper. When pressed he stated GBP 7.99 per month with an 18 month contract. I of course said how long before the real cost applies and he said that the 7.99 was for...
December 3rd 09 03:34 PM
by Lynn W Go to last post
8 362
What does this malicious website do? by Peter
A number of internet forums have recently been hacked. One of them got hacked and the HTTP code included a link to this http://nextgirl.cn/promo/index.php The way the redirection was implemented (not a detail I understand) was picked up my Kaspersky AV, which is fine, but they never replied to my email asking them what the target site actually did to one's PC.
December 3rd 09 02:51 PM
by Adrian C Go to last post
8 446
BT versus O2 Broadband by Lynn W
Just want to clarify with everyone that I have got this right. If I swap from BT Broadband to O2 I will still have to pay Line Rental to BT. So in essence my charges from O2 would be 9.79 for the Premium account plus the BT Line Rental per month. Lynn
December 3rd 09 10:32 AM
by Me Go to last post
6 983
Sir Micheal Rake gets SDSL in village 'not spot' by Nick
"Spamtastic Spastic" wrote in message ... http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/BT-Boss-Has-Only-Broadband-In- The-Village-Hambleden-Resident-Gary-Ashworth-Angry-Over-Trial/ Article/200911415479770? lpos=Business_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_9&lid=ARTICLE_15479770_BT_Boss_Has_Only_Broadband_In_The_Village ...
December 3rd 09 09:01 AM
by Spamtastic Spastic Go to last post
7 840
Ubuntu downloads on cable horrifically slow, after a while by alexd
Has anybody else seen this? If I try to apt-get install something on my laptop in the office the download starts out fast, then drops down to ~4kBps: # wget http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openjdk-6/openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b12-0ubuntu6.6_i386.deb --progress=dot --2009-12-01 15:49:55-- ...
December 3rd 09 08:49 AM
by Clint Sharp Go to last post
2 323
Three Broadband and Windows 7 by SantaUK
Hi folks I got 3 mobile Broadband a few months ago on the 5 gig a month contract. All was well in the land of XP. Got a new laptop with Windows 7, so I thought there would be no issues. After I installed the usual software, which incidentally, is the updated drivers for Windows 7 - it seemed to go okay, for about two minutes. The whole system just froze. I have tried for days, and the...
December 2nd 09 10:01 PM
by Lurch_supra Go to last post
9 365
BBC iPlayer via wii by John Geddes
A quick plug for the new "BBC iPlayer Channel" now available as a free (zero-points) download from the wii Shop channel. For anyone with a wii in the living room, a Broadband connection (with plenty of Gb/month) and a wireless router, this now offers a very convenient way of accessing iPlayer from the settee. John Geddes Derbyshire
November 30th 09 07:40 PM
by {{{{{Welcome}}}}} Go to last post
8 350
IDC Connections by Jeff Gaines
Is it acceptable to put more than one wire into one IDC connector? I want to wire in some extensions to the removable part of an NTE5. If so is the correct technique to add them one at a time. e.g. punch first one in then second one on top of first? If BT have used a couple of wires in the main incoming cable to take the signal back to an extension is it acceptable to connect those 2 wires to...
November 30th 09 05:25 PM
by Jeff Gaines Go to last post
5 390
PlusNet goes from bad to worse! by Vet Tech
My Plusnet connection drops from 5300Kbps in the morning to 270 Kbps between 4pm and 8pm every day. I'm paying 15 per month ( under one of their old premium packages) so I reckon they are taking money under false pretenses.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
November 30th 09 08:39 AM
by Vet Tech Go to last post
28 1,171
Using own router on BE broadband? by Vet Tech
I am considering switching to BE there. BE apparently supply their own modem/router and a set-up CD. Does this mean it's hard-wired in a particular way and that I couldn't use my own Netgear unit instead?
November 30th 09 12:19 AM
by Denis McMahon Go to last post
9 262
3 Mobile Broadband by Martin C
3 MobileBroadband @ PO8 9SA http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1259366474&v=8558176 Anyone getting better speeds ? Martin C
November 29th 09 11:29 PM
by Brian Gregory [UK] Go to last post
6 288
Note BE broadband, no email services for new customers. by Adrian C
To all ye peeps thinking on swapping to Be Broadband and are not aware of it, BE broadband no longer offers their (paid extra) email services to new customers Ye have to get yer own ... gmx.co.uk googlemail etc ...
November 29th 09 10:22 PM
by George Weston Go to last post
3 211
Wireless modem/router recommendation? by Philip
Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive wireless modem/router, but one that has a fairly strong wireless signal? Many thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
November 28th 09 07:32 PM
by Michael Chare Go to last post
15 608
How does Google Mail classify spam emails? by [email protected]
A lot of my emails end up in peoples' gmail spam boxes. Spam classification has been a persistent problem although I have never found my IP in any of the many blacklists. I know my domain (peter2000.co.uk) is used by spammers a lot in forged headers but so are countless others and no spam filter should work on the domain name but on the IP. Also my emails should not have obvious spam...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 28th 09 12:55 AM
by George Weston Go to last post
41 964
Different speed results from BT by Jeff Layman
According to The BT broadband speed test at http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayCategory.do?categoryId=CON-TOTAL-BB-R1 my connection speed should be 256k (I am 3.5 k from the exchange). But I've just used http://speedtester.bt.com/ and got the following result: Download speed achieved during the test was - 1122 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds...
November 27th 09 11:40 PM
by Eeyore Go to last post
2 264
Any reason I shouldn't be with BE ? by Eeyore
As regulars here will know I've been very pleased with the service provided by Idnet but a recent offer from BE for their 'value' service has made me consider them. It's a 8Mbps service, as I understand it still ADSL2+ but capped at 8Mbps. For a 12 month sign up at 6.75 p.c.m. ( half the normal price ) you get 'unlimited downloads' and a free 4 port router with wireless 802.11g too. Offer...
November 27th 09 11:38 PM
by Eeyore Go to last post
7 261
PlusNet goes from bad to worse! by David
"Vet Tech" wrote in message ... My Plusnet connection drops from 5300Kbps in the morning to 270 Kbps between 4pm and 8pm every day. I'm paying 15 per month ( under one of their old premium packages) so I reckon they are taking money under false pretenses.
November 27th 09 03:51 PM
by David Go to last post
0 294
How long does a MAC code take? by Philip
I've asked my current supplier for a MAC code and they've advised me that it takes up to 5 days. I had an idea that it was usually a lot faster, and I've read of people receiving them in a matter of hours... Any thoughts?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 25th 09 07:27 PM
by PeterC Go to last post
38 1,100
ANY GOOD: Thomson 585 wireless router by Paul
I'm in the UK. I've got cable broadband at home and want to switch to ADSL broadband. The ISP will provide a Thomson 585 v7 wireless router. Is it a low grade fault-prone unit which should be replaced. Or it is half decent? My needs are straightforward:
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
November 25th 09 11:57 AM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
16 1,309
Restricted access to news servers. by Michael Chare
In the recent past I have often had difficutly downloading new neswgroup message headers. My PC does not get a response from any of the news servers that I normally use. This happens both with my ISP's news server (nntp.dsl.pipex.net) and servers such as Microsoft Communities (msnews.microsoft.com), and often occurs in the morning and afternoon. Access to web pages at this time is generall...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 22nd 09 10:18 AM
by fred Go to last post
30 890