Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Quidco and TalkTalk? by T i m
Hi all, Stepdaughter has just moved into a new flat and is looking at getting TalkTalk phone and broadband as they had that at the last place and found it ok. I've noticed you get quite a good cash back deal via Quidco when you (presumably) sign up online but can't see how you would do so as it seems to assume you already have a phone line?
October 6th 09 09:21 PM
by T i m Go to last post
4 267
Switching ISP by Lynn W
Hoping to switch from BT Broadband to O2 as it would make sense to do it now as you get 3 months free (I have an iPhone so have O2 for that). I have always been happy with BT but stayed on the 2MB package as I didn't want to commit to another contract because of the cost. Now I could go to O2 and checking my line I can expect up to 6MB download for more than half the price of what I am paying...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 5th 09 10:09 PM
by David Kennedy Go to last post
26 646
Official - UK broadband is wank :( by Fuckstain
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8282839.stm UK broadband 'not fit' for future A study of the global state of broadband has put the UK 25th out of 66 countries in terms of the quality and reach of its networks. The research for Cisco found that countries such as Latvia and Bulgaria were better prepared than the UK for next-generation net applications.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 5th 09 10:01 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
20 672
O2 and Be Broadband by Adult Network
Hi I am at the moment with Entanet but their speeds are getting worse, particularly Usenet and P2P at the weekends. Of course it would help if they kept their customers informed or answered our questions on what was happening. I'm thinking of moving, the ones I've seen are O2 and Be Broadband, which I believe are the same setups.
October 5th 09 03:49 PM
by Hopey Go to last post
1 232
broadband technology. ... by 100s new jobs every week
Hello uk.telecom.voip. Voice over IP technology and related matters ... I have managed to get the broadband Ethernet icon on the desktop to enable and disable, ...Charter of uk.telecom.broadband. (Not Moderated). This group is a forum for discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK ...uk.telecom.broadband. ADSL/cable/other broadband services/ products....
October 3rd 09 10:28 PM
by George Weston Go to last post
9 277
Disparity in available speeds by PeterC
Just looking through ISPs' sites as I'm twitching a bit towards changing ISP. Checking via tel. no. always seems to give 1Mb/s; checking via PC, where available, gives 3Mb/s. As the current connection is 2.1Mb/s and I have has 3.1, it looks as if the PC route is nearer the truth. Has anybody else noticed this? --
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
October 1st 09 08:25 PM
by PeterC Go to last post
17 467
Reaching BT Internet Customer Remotely by ChrisEccles
Problem: A friend of mine is a BT Internet customer in the UK. I am located in Ireland. I want to give her tuition in using her computer by means of Apple Remote Desktop (We both have Mac's). When she does a whatismyipaddress.com search, she gets 86.163.93.181. If I try to enter this in Remote Desktop, it doesn't appear to relate to her machine at all, but comes up with some kind of generic...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
October 1st 09 07:14 PM
by ChrisEccles Go to last post
13 468
How Do You End A Connection ? by EW
I am a new broadband user and previously with dial up I had a connection icon on desktop which I would right click to connect, and similar to disconnect at the end of a session. I have managed to get the broadband Ethernet icon on the desktop to enable and disable, but is it necessary to disable at the end of a session ? I did notice that when I had a connection and then rebooted the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
October 1st 09 06:00 AM
by Bandwidth Go to last post
12 479
Britain lags Europe in broadband technology. by DB.
Britain is lagging behind Europe in broadband technology. The UK lags behind other European countries, such as Sweden, Norway and Slovenia, in the number of households with access to high-speed fibre-to-the-home broadband internet services Countries such as Sweden, Norway, Andorra and Slovenia lead the way with more than 10 per cent of all connections being fibre broadband - the fastest...
October 1st 09 05:56 AM
by Bandwidth Go to last post
8 408
3 Mobile Broadband - Adult Restrictions by Stuart
I wonder if anyone can help me. I bought two Skypephone S2 mobiles from 3 a year ago, both were purchased at the same time with the same credit card, as a pair. I have been using one of them regularly until recently, accessing many web sites via the handset and via the inbuilt modem using a laptop. Recently I decided to start using the other handset because the first one had been dropped and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 1st 09 01:20 AM
by Stuart Go to last post
21 962
Solwise SAR-600E with NAT and firewall off blocks incoming connections by Geoff Clare
I'm trying to set up a Solwise SAR-600E ADSL router to do simple routed IP. I have unticked the NAT and firewall boxes in the WAN settings and set the LAN address of the router to the same as the WAN address it gets from my ISP. This works fine for accessing the Internet from computers on the LAN, but when I try to use ssh from a computer on the Internet to one on my LAN, it can't connect (times...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 30th 09 02:13 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
12 555
Plusnet Poland by Spamtastic Spastic
I was amused to find some lame hacking and spam attempts this morning in my snort logs, not by the amateur nature of it all, but by the provider: inetnum: 95.40.0.0 - 95.40.255.255 netname: PLUSNET descr: Polkomtel S.A. descr: Warszawa country: PL admin-c: PKL1-RIPE tech-c: PKL1-RIPE status: ASSIGNED PA
September 30th 09 01:06 PM
by Spamtastic Spastic Go to last post
8 225
UK Routers/ADSL Modem/Switches by Jack Ouzzi
Hi, Anyone know if UK Routers will work in Germany?? Moving soon and have a few 'spares' as well as my own Linksys WAG200G ... I think the German connection to the line filter (RJ11?) is slighlty different, but the 'router' end appears the same ... or is it?? TIA
September 30th 09 06:16 AM
by Tops Go to last post
6 356
O2 Broadband Opinions Wanted by Grapefruit Man
Does anyone use O2 as their broadband provider? Any opinions as to their service?
September 29th 09 07:08 PM
by zeitgeist Go to last post
1 224
A Home Of Tolerance by المنيب الى ربه
A Home Of Tolerance Media speculation since the horrific terrorist attacks on America has pointed the finger at Muslims and the Arab world, and that has meant ordinary citizens of the US and other Western countries becoming easy prey for anti-faith hooligans. Shame. Sadly, the latest horror to hit the US looks to have been caused by people of Middle Eastern origin, bearing Muslim names. Again,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 25th 09 10:16 PM
by Gaz Go to last post
10 520
Newbie With Encryption Query by EW
I have Broadband on order . What puzzles me is encryption and my query is hard to explain but I will have a go. If I have two laptops and set the encryption (accidentally) on one of them to one of the lower levels would the router then send the lower level signal automatically to laptop 2 as I presume you cant have two types running. If the router is already set to high secure encryption...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 25th 09 09:27 PM
by Mike GW8IJT Go to last post
21 494
USB Modem Stick - Vodafone by nothing here
Does this offer apply in Vodafone stores? http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband-devices/usb-modem-stick-topup-and-go?compatible=false
September 25th 09 02:26 PM
by Helen Deborah Vecht Go to last post
8 560
Vodafone payg broadband dongle by Mick
I am not in an area that has 3G but fast enough for getting emails and a quick browse. What I would like to know is if I left it running 24/7 and just uploading a 5kb file every minutes would it keep working and what would I get charged. I shouldn't suppose it will be allowed but it would be fine for when we have a landline fault Mike
September 25th 09 02:16 PM
by Helen Deborah Vecht Go to last post
1 344
Stuck On "Acquiring Network Address" by EW
Got a black (Sky) Netgear router , my activation date was yesterday. Plugged it in today ,the lights lit as they should including the Internet light from flashing amber,to amber then steady green. Both when trying by Ethernet and Wireless I am getting a message "Acquiring Network Address" and not progressing further with the connection. I have two XP laptops and have the same problem on...
September 25th 09 12:32 PM
by Graham J Go to last post
8 398
"Security in router link" TIA by sandy58
My main computer linked to spare PC by dongle. Will the spare PC be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions regarding software, please? TIA
September 24th 09 07:44 PM
by sandy58 Go to last post
2 212
Post New Thread