Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Gigabit fibreoptic routers easy to make with FPGA boards by 7[_2_]
Gigabit fibreoptic routers easy to make with FPGA boards -------------------------------------------------------- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Yw4sa8Re8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJKA0SBQxs You can make your own routers for fibre optics with open source designs and software or pay 30,000 per router.
May 28th 17 09:53 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
1 328
Bhtee still running around with fake fibre advertising by 7[_2_]
Bhtee still running around with fake fibre advertising ------------------------------------------------------ Bhtee the fibbing losers are still brandishing fake fibre branding on their vans when in fact all they sell is fake fibre FTTC products where the last mile is just copper. This despite an ASA investigation into fake fibre claims at the expense of genuine FTTH and FTTP...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 27th 17 11:57 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
16 562
LLU resellers by Woody
"Theo" wrote in message ... Is there a way to find out whose infrastructure a particular ISP uses? It seems that some ISPs are resellers of LLU infrastructure but they don't advertise it. A lot of them will be BT Wholesale, but I wonder if there's a list somewhere
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 24th 17 07:00 PM
by Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd Go to last post
13 499
Orange e-mail closing: (final stretch!): changing SMTP for e-mailclient with own domain by Allan
Orange e-mail closing: (final stretch!): changing SMTP for e-mail client with own domain Spent a long time reconfiguring all those sites (probably missed a couple, but hey-ho!) that had my freeserve.co.uk e-mail address registered and moving it across to gmail address. At least I've had a couple of months to find out which ones I'd forgotten about! Did the final step today in changing the...
May 17th 17 08:00 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
7 356
TP-Link router (specifically TD-W9980) LAN configuration options - what do they do? by Chris Green
I have a new (to me) TP-Link TD-W9980 VDSL/ADSL Wireless router. I have now got the basics configured as I want (FTTC connection, wired LAN, etc.) but I'm still rather puzzled by some of the configuration options, specifically the LAN ones. The User Guide is useless, it just tells you exactly what the configuration GUI shows you anyway. It doesn't tell you what the configuration options do for...
May 12th 17 09:51 PM
by Michael Chare[_2_] Go to last post
6 494
Return Of Landline Woes by Java Jive
Came down the day before yesterday to find I had no landline broadband. Quiet line test shows noisy line. I use it to phone TenTel and the script droid complains about the noisy line, but still won't report it as a voice fault! Instead she fails the Turing Test by making me go through the usual crap of redoing all the tests I'd already done before even reporting the...
May 11th 17 12:07 AM
by Graham J[_2_] Go to last post
6 397
What VDSL routers offer a proper, configurable, firewall? by Chris Green
Continuing my search for a VDSL2 router for my (just starting today) FTTC connction I've realised that my most significant requirement is for a 'proper' firewall that will allow me to limit incoming connections to specific 'out there' IP addresses. Currently (using my venerable Draytek Vigor 2820n) I allow ssh and smtp connections into my how network but *only* from a few specific IP addresses. ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 10th 17 11:00 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
12 565
Plusnet price increases by Tim+[_2_]
Hmm, can't say that I'm that impressed by Plusnet increasing their prices when I'm tied into an 18 month contract. More fool me for signing up perhaps but I thought the point of committing oneself to a contract was to give Plusnet guaranteed custom for a set period and in exchange, receive reduced fees for the duration of the contract. Now admittedly my unlimited fibre fee is 1 less a month...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 9th 17 11:40 PM
by Chris Go to last post
46 1,116
TP-Link TD-W9980 WiFi not working properly by Chris Green
I have a new (to me) TP-Link TD-W9980 router connecting to my new FTTC/VDSL service. It's basically working OK, most of my systems are wired ethernet either direct to the TD-W9980 or via a switch. I'm getting around 25Mb/s which is good compared with the 4Mb/s I used to get with ADSL. However I can't get the WiFi to work, at all. There's also my old Draytek Vigor 2820n on the network...
May 8th 17 01:12 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
9 475
Reommended VDSL2 router for new FTTC connection by Chris Green
We have just got FTTC available. I'd like to squeeze the best bandwidth we can out of it so what not too ridiculously priced VDSL2 routers are recommended? We currently have two phone lines both with ADSL, one has a venerable Draytek Vigor 2820n for ADSL and the other has a BT Home Hub3, the Draytek does load balancing of the two ADSL connections. I believe the Home Hub3 can connect VDSL2 so...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 7th 17 08:40 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
39 951
TP-Link TD-W9980 - firewall blocks DHCP requests by Chris Green
This refers back to my previous thread "TP-Link TD-W9980 WiFi not working properly". I've discovered what prevents the clients getting their IP via DHCP - it's the TD-W9980's firewall. I have the TD-W9980 firewall turned on and it allows only the following at the moment:- All outgoing traffic - Any LAN address to any WAN address Incoming ssh - from a few specified hosts to desktop...
May 7th 17 06:23 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
2 400
Second ADSL router on LAN by Chris Green
I have a (new) FTTC connection which now provides my main internet connection and it's working well with a TP-Link TD-W9980 providing a firewall and appropriate port forwarding for incoming ssh and SMTP. I still have also a second line with ADSL on it which I would like to use if I can for a backup incoming ssh connection. At the moment I can't get this to work and I'm not sure if it's because...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 7th 17 11:35 AM
by Chris Green Go to last post
15 525
Can I route from incoming WAN1 to outgoing WAN2 on a Vigor 2820n? by Chris Green
I have a Draytek Vigor 2820n with standard ADSL on WAN1 and a Plusnet Hub One (with its own phone line) on WAN2. I would like to be able to get at the Plusnet Hub One's web configuration from 'outside'. It doesn't allow this by itself (or at least don't think it does, please tell me if it does) so I was thinking would it be possible to route a connection coming in on WAN1 to connect to the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
April 27th 17 04:32 PM
by Graham Murray Go to last post
24 664
VDSL2 router recommendations wanted by Chris Green
Following on (sort of) from my recent thread about access to a Plusnet Hub One I'm probably looking for a VDSL2 router to replace it. So my requirements a- Reasonable price, probably sub 100, preferably down in the 60 area. Thus Draytek are probably ruled out. Good WiFi performance, currently I get good cover through a large house with a Draytek Vigor 2820n and a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 26th 17 05:41 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
11 452
Broadband and landline phone by Andy Burns[_5_]
Andy Burns wrote: Martin Brown wrote: If you have Plusnet lookout for their new mobile phone SIM deal which gives double data cf EE will get a PAC today I think ... Queued the port up on friday to happen today, has all gone through OK,
April 24th 17 07:42 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
2 277
Sky Now TV 10 box compatible with Talk Talk broadband? by Adrian C
Ordinarily I wouldn't touch either Sky or Talk Talk with a bargepole, but I'm trying to avoid some folks vunerable getting a TT YouView box and finding their existing TT broadband/phone contract extended and inflated because of that, when primarily they will just about be able to cope with the BBC iPlayer interface and the settings of TV guide recordings would confuse them. So, does that...
April 21st 17 01:05 PM
by Theo[_2_] Go to last post
5 1,141
LAN/WAN question Draytek Vigor 2820n router by Chris Green
I have a venerable (well, it is quite old) Draytek Vigor 2820n router which has been load balancing our two ADSL lines quite happily for a few years. The 2820n has it's LAN set up on the 192.168.1.x subnet and the WAN connection was to a BT Home Hub3 on a separate subnet with the 2820n being 192.168.13.65 and the HH3 being 192.168.13.254. That worked fine and the 2820n did basic load...
April 18th 17 09:57 AM
by Chris Green Go to last post
6 337
Virgin cable/phone query by Tim+[_2_]
Our street is currently getting cabled by Virgin. We're currently on FTTP with Plusnet for BB and anytime calls but due to an intermittently bad line, I feel that our connection just isn't living up to my expectations. We have unlimited bb and seem to be be paying quite a lot for it. (40.97pm) I'm wondering about going with Virgin on a "broadband only" basis and using VOIP for calls on their...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
April 18th 17 01:04 AM
by Nick Go to last post
25 724
Post Office Broadband by AnthonyL
My sister is being quoted a high renewal price for the BT broadband + rental that she's had for as long as I remember. Some 100+ more per year than I'm paying for the same deal - standard broadband, unlimited, weekend calls. The Post Office are offering a competitive 18 month deal, but reviews are less than stellar. Plusnet seem to review better and I beleive there's someone who keeps half an...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 12th 17 01:29 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
14 472
Noticeable increase in ADSL speed after FTTC upgrade ? by Abandoned Trolley
Apologies in advance - I will be surprised if this subject is new to this (or any other) newsgroup, but my search tool was unable to find any existing thread dealing with it. I was just wondering if those of you using ADSL services had noticed any increase in download speeds after your local cabinet was upgraded to fibre ? hmmm... I thought not Thats clearly because you have not paid for...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 10th 17 04:47 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
53 832