Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange/EE email (again) by Graham.[_3_]
A couple of people mentioned that they were getting bounce messages earlier today when trying to reach my freeserve address. It happened to a test message I sent from a gmail account to the freeserve account The response from the remote server was: 550 5.2.0 Mail rejete. Mail rejected. ouk_513
March 17th 17 09:07 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
3 280
BT Hub fire by MB[_2_]
Just been told about someone whose new BT Home Hub caught fire. Not sure of what type, it was described as having two antenna but I thought my Home Hub 6 was the last type and that has no external antenna? It seems it was supplied with a 24 volt Wallwart but should have been a 12 volt one. I looked at my Home Hub 6 and the power socket is just marked "POWER" with no voltage indicated. ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 14th 17 06:00 PM
by IT-Assist Go to last post
11 607
BT OpenReach legally to seperate by Java Jive
BT and OpenReach are legally to seperate, but BT will still hold the purse strings ... BT Openreach deal aims to shakeup UK broadband http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39228115 -- ======================================================== Please always reply to ng as the email in this post's header does not exist. Or use a contact address at: http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/JavaJive.html
March 10th 17 02:18 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
2 236
Flat Cat5 cables question by Murmansk
I'm thinking of getting one of those flat Cat5 cables that are like a ribbon rather than circular in cross section but I'd want to chop the plug off at one end and wire it to a socket. Do the cores have the same colour coding as a standard cable? If not, guess I could work out what goes where with a continuity tester but I'd rather not have to.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 9th 17 05:38 PM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
13 385
Bhtee links to VM servers intentionally slowed down by 7[_2_]
Bhtee links to VM servers intentionally slowed down --------------------------------------------------- I thought this was a temporary thing, but it seems Bhtee connections to VM payment processing links are immensely slowed down for best part of couple of months now - takes about half an hour to make a payment through Bhtee infrastructure while any other way such as using VM's own connections...
March 8th 17 11:29 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 192
Samsung announces volume production of 10nm gigabit speed 5G LTE by Paul Cummins
In article , (frederick) wrote: Don't you mind people knowing where you live? It would be very difficult to have electricity, gas, internet and transport if people didn't know where I lived.
March 7th 17 12:31 PM
by Paul Cummins Go to last post
0 224
Wifi adaptor will not run at link speed higher than about 6 Mbps by NY
I have a Windows 7 laptop with a built-in Broadcom 802.11n adaptor. I am connecting it to a TPLink W9980 router which is set to 2.4 GHz only (ie not 2.4 and 5 mixed) in 11bgn mixed mode. The laptop is reporting (eg in Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network Connections | Wireless) a link speed of around 5.5 - 6.5 Mbps, despite being very close to the router. I have tried permutations...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
March 1st 17 05:16 PM
by Tim+[_2_] Go to last post
26 892
Bhtee marketing in disarray suffering branding failure by 7[_2_]
Bhtee marketing in disarray suffering branding failure ------------------------------------------------------ Bhtee marketing in total disarray after random survey of brand reveals total failure. In the Bhtee conducted survey 15,000 senile OAPs were used. None of them remember working for Bhtee.
February 28th 17 04:55 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 204
G. Fast has G. Slow upload speed by 7[_2_]
G. Fast has G. Slow upload speed -------------------------------- Doh! So who is going to buy such a crap service from Bhtee for all that extra moneeeey?? That is supposed to be part of Superfast with its SuperSlow upload speed.
February 28th 17 03:54 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 221
Three Dongle and Windows 10 Woes by SB
Just got a new Dell Inspiron laptop. That is by definition to be used for travelling. However I have already run foul of the dreaded Windows 10 (Home) automatic updates. Last week whilst doing some emails I suddenly got a web page stating that I had run out of data allowance. Bl**dy Windows had attempted to download a massive update file and soaked up my remaining Three dongle data allowance for...
February 25th 17 01:31 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
6 303
Orange Email Closu notification e-mail by Allan
Further to the various postings a couple of weeks ago, I've just had an e-mail notifying of the closure (so they've finally got round to admitting it....). Had the e-mail on my main freeserve.co.uk address. Wonder if the same e-mail will appear in the other freeserve.co.uk inboxes I've got. Information link provided in the e-mail...
February 24th 17 09:06 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
6 415
FTTP Install by Vir Campestris
The bad news: When we moved in BT promised FTTC by Christmas. That was 3 1/2 years ago. It still hasn't happened. The good news - we can now get FTTP instead. 330Mbit and now I can laugh at the people who post 60MBit rates :) Does anyone know what this involves? I gather the ISP will supply a fibre modem, but I suppose I'll need a firewall/switch/access point for my internal network. How...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 23rd 17 09:20 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
13 481
FTTP Industrial estates near Lee Valley anyone? by 7[_2_]
Anyone know of symmetric gigabit (under 50) FTTP industrial estates in or near Lee Valley / London? Services like those offered by Hyperoptic, Gigaclear and B4RN elsewhere.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 23rd 17 08:37 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
11 395
Broadband dongle in area of poor coverage??? Advice please? by Allan
For various reasons, I'm looking for a broadband dongle (PAYG or contract) that will work in an area of poor coverage. The main (only?) suppliers of broadband dongles a Vodafone, T-Mobile, Orange, 3 and O2 We've already tried a 3 dongle and it doesn't work. The postcode is CO10 7QF, and the coverage maps don't give a great deal of hope on any of the networks. Orange seems to be the best...
February 23rd 17 10:59 AM
by Coolly Go to last post
9 553
Orange email is closing. by Graham.[_3_]
Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange/EE is closing on 31 May 2017 http://preview.tinyurl.com/jevzvzk I've had my accounts since 1999 when I signed up for Freeserve dial-up. The great thing that is unmatched by other free accounts is that you can put anything you like before the @ which is invaluable for tracing
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 21st 17 04:00 PM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
13 920
Port translation (for SMTP) (further to: Orange e-mail is closing) by Allan
I've got a legacy Windows software programme (Caller ID) that sends e-mail alerts. It send e-mails via SMTP and seems to be hard-coded to use port 25. I've tried specifying the SMTP address as smtp.gmail.com:587 to no avail. The software producers are no longer in business either (I suppose I could look round for a newer programme). I've got a new gmail account to replace my old...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 20th 17 01:37 AM
by Allan Go to last post
10 570
Bhtee rejects G Fast claims it is not evidence of yet more krone tool master bation by 7[_2_]
Bhtee rejects G Fast claims it is not evidence of yet more krone tool master bation ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A report out today criticized Bhtee for G Fast for being yet another krone tool master bation based technology that is not as competitive as pure fibre or as cost effective, or even just being able to be delivered to the customer...
February 16th 17 02:33 PM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
5 286
Crackly line but "quiet line test" seems okay by Tim+[_2_]
Been having a lot of trouble with line noise on incoming calls (from mobiles and landlines) however whenever I try the quiet line test on 17070 the line seems fine. Our broadband is also a bit flaky so I think the problem is real but I curious as to why he line test (done several times) always seem to be fine but incoming calls are frequently crackly. Could it be due to the fact that I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 16th 17 10:55 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
15 540
Plusnet, and NTE5 by Flowerpotgirl
Was visiting a 77 year old today, she is part way through completing a "house move process" with plusnet. She asked me to look at her wiring for her. her phone is supposed to go live tomorrow, but her main phone socket looks like a NTE5 but has no port for the phone cable, the bottom half is just a blank. It is hanging from the wall by four wires, white, black, orange and green. From the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 15th 17 10:54 PM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
43 768
Bhtee VM fails 2020 open market review by 7[_2_]
Bhtee VM fails 2020 open market review -------------------------------------- Bhtee and VM fail 2020 open market review to deliver 1Gbit symmetric DSL fibre to premises FTTP for 50 in a test of free market. By year 2020 no one in Bhtee or VM will deliver FTTP service in UK at 50 per month.
February 15th 17 10:42 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 179
Post New Thread