Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
holiday by critcher[_3_]
could some rich person please pay for another holiday for 7, preferably for 5 years or more.
June 16th 18 03:46 PM
by grinch Go to last post
2 258
Hammond to pledge superfast broadband for most homes by Java Jive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44215833 However ... "But consumer advice website Thinkbroadband told the BBC the government was unlikely to reach its goal. The telecoms industry has already begun a number of major high speed broadband rollouts, with firms including BT, Vodafone and Virgin Media hoping to reach up to five million premises by 2020.
May 27th 18 01:48 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
8 476
Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
https://www.telecompaper.com/news/average-uk-download-speeds-increase-28-to-462-mbps-ofcom--1243640 Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more. Still about a million with slow broadband, but they tend to live in the sticks like my sister. For some reason they moan about how everyone else should pay for them to get high speed broadband, but they forget that for other...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 17th 18 03:06 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
58 1,580
Buttfsckinghamshire fiber fees 500 sheets of paper per meter by 7[_2_]
Buttfsckinghamshire fiber fees 500 sheets of paper per meter ------------------------------------------------------------ https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/05/buckinghamshire-uk-make-it-costly-to-deploy-full-fibre-broadband.html The fees to fill in forms for permissions to install fiber is now the price of 500 sheets of paper per meter in Buttfsckinghamshire. Per kilometer, the price...
May 9th 18 10:26 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
4 527
Plusnet prices going up, or maybe down by Clive Page
Have other Plusnet customers had an email giving prices changes? Changes means increases, of course. It says that from 5th June they are increasing phone line prices by £1/month but including free Caller Display and Call Protect (previously 99p/month extra). But they also have some other special offers like "unlimited broadband and line rental" for £19.99/month, which is less than I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
May 8th 18 10:05 PM
by bert Go to last post
27 1,210
"Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules" by Java Jive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43962878 "Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules Advertisements for broadband speeds that breach rules set to take effect on 23 May will be banned, the Advertising Standards Authority has said. The ASA's new rules require providers to include a median average speed for the service between 20:00 and 22:00.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 7th 18 11:12 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
16 974
Hyperoptic left 400,000 British homes open to hacking.. by Richard Jones
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/04/24/broadband-flaw-left-400000-brits-open-hacking Most households won't be aware that the WiFi routers - the small boxes that are sent by broadband providers to get them connected to the web - are vulnerable to hackers if they are not secured properly. Someone with remote access to a router could snoop on someone's web browsing, send malware...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 6th 18 02:44 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
14 1,137
Facebook by Davey
I am going through the lists of things that Facebook knows and saves about its users, which just about covers everything that could be known about people, such as: "Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins. Device operations:...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
May 4th 18 07:55 AM
by Chris Go to last post
20 1,084
Continued BT YAHOO! shambolics. by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
increasingly frequent paralysis at bt YAHOO! servers, with up to day long lock outs to all devices and only web mail. After 12 hours off on IMAP / POP3, today web mail gave spurious "login attempts exceeded" on first try, although the servers have started working again (but for how long?). WHEN oh when are BT going to get rid of 'joke' Yahoo!?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 1st 18 03:00 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
18 967
Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..? by MissRiaElaine
Hi all, My other half and I are planning a canal cruise again this year, and we really want some form of connectivity while we're away. So we're looking for a USB 'dongle' that we can use on the laptop, we don't want any sort of contract, as it's only going to be required for 2 or 3 weeks in any one year. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best one to go for..? I know
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 25th 18 08:06 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
39 1,686
Talk talk customer service by Tim+[_2_]
Had a mixed experience with TT today. My mother has her phone line and BB with them and has had so for many years. A couple of weeks ago when visiting we realised that the BB wasn't working. As we had a spare router at her house we tried that (after doing all the usual checks) but it was clear that there was an upstream problem. On checking on Downdetector we saw that there was a Talktalk...
April 24th 18 01:27 AM
by Yellow[_2_] Go to last post
1 480
Intermittent phone line disconnections, however..... by Mark Carver
........broadband service is unaffected. It's my mother's line. The fault is either the voice side either going open-circuit, or short circuit. On outgoing calls, it causes 'cleardown'. On incoming calls there's a click and loss of audio for a few 100 milliseconds, and all carries on again as normal. On Friday night, the line was permanently 'engaged' for at least 4 hours, at mother's end...
April 12th 18 04:28 PM
by Mark Carver[_2_] Go to last post
9 692
'More than half' of UK households face broadband problems by Java Jive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43617492 "One in five British households have experienced slow broadband speeds in the last year, according to Which. A similar number have had connection dropouts and router problems, the consumer rights group added. It polled more than 1,900 customers across 12 providers, more than half of whom reported having problems with their broadband service or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 3rd 18 09:24 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
12 1,065
Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan in place" but exchange is fibre-enabled by NY
We're looking to move house and one house that we've identified has fast ADSL (up to 17 Mbps) but no FTTC (according to various ISPs' availability checkers), even though the exchange is fibre-enabled and other streets a few hundred yards away get fibre. The Openreach checker says "What does 'exploring solutions' mean? This means that we’re working with government and industry to explore ways...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 2nd 18 09:34 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
18 1,235
Southwark Council joins forces with Hyperoptic in full fibre push [allegedly] by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
Over the next year an agreement between the London Borough of Southwark and Hyperoptic should see the area be competing with Kingston upon Hull for the local authority with the most full fibre connectivity. read more... but when you click the link https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7987-southwark-council-joins-forces-with-hyperoptic-in-full-fibre-push you get: - " 404 - Page Not Found
March 27th 18 05:39 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
4 664
UK fibre to home to be rolled out by franchise holders by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Sunday, 11 March 2018 22:49:42 UTC, 7 wrote: UK fibre to home to be rolled out by franchise holders ------------------------------------------------------ https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7976-are-regional-franchises-for-full-fibre-on-the-way Which says: - "Of course if you take the unpopular but agnostic view that a 100 Mbps connection if it delivers that speed does not matter...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 15th 18 06:06 PM
by Tweed[_2_] Go to last post
12 1,067
ASA on the defensive by Graham.[_3_]
No wish to give credibility to 7's babblings by replying to his thread, but it's interesting to read what ****wits the ASA take us for: https://www.asa.org.uk/uploads/assets/uploaded/d791272c-805a-495d-8e25650af1740ab7.pdf Their synopses here https://www.asa.org.uk/news/asa-concludes-review-of-fibre-broadband.html
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 15th 18 08:12 AM
by MB[_2_] Go to last post
12 1,137
Changing a router by Woody
I asked on here a few weeks ago about routers that self reboot to overcome a problem that a farmer friend has. He is at the end of a long line (3Km) and usually gets about 1.6Mb. However sometimes, often after wet/windy weather, the speed drops to around to 650Kb and it can only be made to go back up by power cycling the mains. I will be seeing him shortly and I have a 24hr timeswitch which...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 13th 18 04:43 PM
by Mark Carver[_2_] Go to last post
34 1,869
Openroach will lower their 1gbit symmetric fibre internet to around £3000 by Richard Tobin
In article , R. Mark Clayton wrote: Your firm is an ISP - and the question remains - why are you moaning about BT's prices when you say you can install for 5% of the price - just do it. Does he really have a company? If so, what's it called, so I can steer clear of it.
March 6th 18 12:21 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
6 670
Openroach will lower their 1gbit symmetric fibre internet to around £3000 by Vir Campestris
On 03/03/2018 18:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote: What unnecessary copper, it is all still carrying POTS. In my case that's only due to BT's incompetence. The fibre modem comes with 2 POTS ports. (and a UPS) We'd love to take down the ugly old copper, but the fibre ports are outgoing only. They don't ring. Central computer problem apparently. Andy
March 4th 18 09:54 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
0 497
Post New Thread