Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
New spam mail? by Woody
Has anyone received a mail lately from someone you know but where the source domain is plasticsurgerynm.com? Said domain is genuine or so it seems but if you go to the contact page to advise the last thing you have to enter is what looks to be a CAPTCHA but is not in the usual box or picture format and uses the letters USPY which makes me suspicious. --
November 8th 16 06:08 PM
by Mark Go to last post
7 379
PlusNot by Java Jive
Been having problems with my ADSL going down several times a day. Problems began 19th or 20th August, and have continued daily until now. I've had three dropouts today since midnight. At first the ADSL was off for hours at a time every day for a week, until I discovered that rebooting the router would get me back on line not immediately but quite soon afterwards. Consequently, now I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 1st 16 08:49 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
125 1,897
BT Broadband Voice problems by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 12:36:19 UTC+1, R. Mark Clayton wrote: It was working on 19th October, but since late last week the program reports "Error in response from server please try again" and it won't register on my Gigaset either. In BT's web site, which has moved, you can't pay, recent calls and bills don't appear correctly, many links are broken, although you can reinstall the BT...
October 31st 16 09:11 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
2 352
The need to take Bhtee offconn et al to court over symmetric gigabit FFTH by 7[_2_]
The need to take Bhtee offconn et al to court over symmetric gigabit FFTH ------------------------------------------------------------------------- The way it would work is to issue a court writ to Bhtee, Offconn and VM challenging their right to install duplicate redundant ducts under the streets of tax payers and not delivering anything of value. They themselves used FFTC to wire up their...
October 26th 16 09:23 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
4 308
Do slow VDSL lines use ADSL profiles ? by Andrew Benham
My line was upgraded to VDSL a few weeks ago, and it's disappointingly slow - some of which is undoubtedly down to the monopoly wiring here. The download speed is within the estimated speed range for an "Impacted" line, but the upload speed is way outside - for an "Impacted" line the estimated upload speed is 3.8 - 7.1 Mb/s, but I'm getting about 1.2 Mb/s :-( xdslctl info xdslctl: ADSL...
October 25th 16 12:53 AM
by Andy Furniss Go to last post
2 314
Is there a problem with Virgin email (POP and webmail) at present - bad password error by NY
Is there a problem with Virgin's email system at present? I've getting a bad password error, both when Windows Live Mail signs in using POP and also when I access via mail.virgin.net The last successful email seems to be 19 October at 16:11 Should I be worried that my password might have been hacked and changed? Has anyone had their account terminated because they aren't a Virgin subscriber?...
October 20th 16 10:09 PM
by NY Go to last post
2 362
Ski calls Bhtee to be disbanded because it lies about fibre rollout by 7[_2_]
Ski calls Bhtee to be disbanded because it lies about fibre rollout ------------------------------------------------------------------- Bhtee at it again! It promised to open up the ducts and separate its fake fibre division which overcharges customers and wholesale customers to subsidise its loss making TeeVee operations is at it again, plodding and dragging foot to prevent letting go of its...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 16th 16 11:52 PM
by Paul Cummins Go to last post
54 1,180
VPN by Woody
Can anyone tell me if it is simple to set up a VPN so that two users (one local) can access the same server securely when one is in an office on the end of a standard broadband (i.e. Internet) line 40 miles away. For that matter wireless access using a mi-fi or phone hotspot and a laptop would be an additional advantage. I am fairly competent with Windows albeit XP but I am finding my way...
October 14th 16 01:25 PM
by David Wade[_2_] Go to last post
3 372
Slow wifi with irregular ping times on one laptop by NY
I was asked to investigate a Lenovo laptop that was probably a year or so old, originally supply with Win 8 but upgraded by the owner to Win 10. He had fibre broadband with a BT Homehub 5 router. My Android phone and my Windows 7 laptop, both running speedtest.net site showed a fairly consistent 30-40 Mbps down and 9 Mbps up over wifi; the Win 7 laptop over Ethernet achieved around 50 D / 9...
October 13th 16 07:20 PM
by Graham J[_2_] Go to last post
8 281
Slamming? by Davey
I have just received a couple of e-mail messages that say they come from Zen, my ISP, confirming that I am closing my BB account next month. The trouble is, I'm not. This happened to me a couple of times when I lived in the US, when my 'phone line was 'slammed' by another company (Sprint) saying I had selected them. I have written to Zen (they are closed at weekends), confirming that I have no...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
October 10th 16 07:24 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
17 566
ADVA Network FSP150CP FBT-ORNT-11-B by Dave
Hi Folks, it a ADVA Network FSP150CP FBT-ORNT-11-B modem any good for FTTP/H ? Dave.
October 8th 16 07:14 PM
by grinch Go to last post
2 1,445
'Cured' SPAM? by MB[_2_]
Anyone have any ideas of the origin or reason behind all the SPAM messages beginning '' in the subject field. I have had nine this morning and it is only just after 0800h. They are easy to filter out with a proper mail reader (mobile phone more difficult). They have been coming for several weeks but seem to be increasing now.
October 7th 16 09:15 AM
by Chris Bartram Go to last post
5 616
o2 termination of service. by DerekF[_2_]
I had an E-Mail from o2 some time ago saying that they were stopping E-Mail facilities for ex broadband users at the end of June. I then changed my contact details with companies that I used it with but E-Mails still keep coming. Derek
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 28th 16 01:01 PM
by DerekF[_2_] Go to last post
42 1,109
Phone Co-op by Jim Jackson
I'm thinking of moving my broadband to the Phonecoop, do they provide an smtp server for outgoing email? I can't seem to find any details. Jim
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 27th 16 10:20 AM
by Nick Leverton Go to last post
32 1,035
Networking advice - sharing a hotel or cruise ship wifi connection which has a captive logon screen by NY
We're going on a cruise and the ship has metered wifi: you connect to a wifi network and then as soon as you try to access a web page, you get presented with a captive logon screen where you have to login with a username and password which are supplied for each individual customer (this is in addition to or as a replacement for the WPA key). We'd like to be able to connect multiple devices...
September 27th 16 07:37 AM
by Theo[_2_] Go to last post
6 357
What does 'unbalanced cable' mean? by Chris
Over the weekend we had a fault on our line - lost connections and very noisy line - which was fixed on Tues. However, since the fix our broadband speeds dropped from 4.5meg to 3meg, despite having a sync rate of 6.8meg. I raised this with plusnet suggesting a bras reset, but they've come back with a new error - an 'unbalanced line' - which OR are due to investigate on Monday. What is it -...
September 23rd 16 01:47 PM
by Chris Go to last post
7 1,055
Router address help by Woody
My F-i-L is a BT ISP user and has a BTHH3. Said router has a slight tendency to loose connection and not recover, so I have obtained a BTHH4r - that's the open/retail version. Simple question - and bear in mind I have not been inside his HH3 - but the HH4 requires a username and a password so that it can register. I know the username is in clear text, but what about the password? If there...
September 19th 16 09:01 AM
by Dick Go to last post
5 298
BT HH3 problems by Woody
My elderly F-i-L is having problems with his HH3. It has worked perfectly for three or four years but recently has lost Internet access a couple of times for no apparent reason and the router has not recovered without a PoR. Questions: Is this a known issue with HH3? Would he be better off with a HH4r which are readily available at Expensive World and not too pricey? Is there another readily...
September 12th 16 09:23 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
4 390
Bank of Japan Risk: Running Out of Bonds to Buy (Wall St. Journal) by 7[_2_]
aasdaaak wrote: Japan's central bank is facing a new problem: It could be running out of government bonds to buy. The Bank of Japan is snapping up the equivalent of more than $750 billion worth of government debt a year in an effort to spur inflation and growth. At that rate, analysts say, banks could run out of government debt to sell within the next 18 months.
September 11th 16 09:03 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 263
BT HH3 as Wifi Extender by bert
Having switched to Plusnet and got a new hub - essentially HH5 I have my old HH3 surplus to requirements. Should it be possible to use it as a wifi extender connected by ethernet to my HH5 (Plusnet 1)? -- bert
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 10th 16 09:38 AM
by Peter Andrews[_2_] Go to last post
11 638