Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Sky internet connection question by Graham J[_2_]
A friend has a Sky TV system. There is a main receiver and several slave boxes. I cannot at the moment tell you the model numbers or other details. All are connected to WiFi Access Points and hence via his router to the internet. His house is fairly large and several access points are required to get good coverage. He does have Cat5 Ethernet cable installed at every location where the...
October 10th 17 11:32 AM
by global93 Go to last post
6 851
is there anyone there by David Wade[_3_]
On 01/10/2017 21:28, Vir Campestris wrote: On 27/09/2017 08:22, Graham J wrote: Is there a broadband service in Spain or Portugal?* How does it compare with here in the UK? Spain has the State Telco with ADSL plus various other offerings using WiFi, 4G FTTC and Fibre to the premises. ADSL is expensive, especially if you don't need a phone line. Other services can be...
October 2nd 17 01:29 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
2 475
is there anyone there by Adrian Caspersz
On 27/09/17 08:22, Graham J wrote: Vir Campestris wrote: On 26/09/2017 19:20, critcher wrote: where is everyone, has 7 finally destroyed you all ? I was in Spain & Portugal. It _is_ a little quiet... We are listening for something interesting to talk about ...
October 2nd 17 11:32 AM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
0 583
is there anyone there by Paul Cummins
In article , (7) wrote: I managed to install 1gbit pure fibre in the home for $41.15 Again, not in this country you didn't. -- Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
October 1st 17 03:11 PM
by grinch Go to last post
5 488
Fake fibre sold by VM BT Offconn Openroach no good for gaming andsocial media by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Sunday, 10 September 2017 11:23:25 UTC+1, 7 wrote: Fake fibre sold by VM BT Offconn Openroach no good for gaming and social media ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Gigaclear, Cityfibre and Hyperoptic have all complained to Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), but they still no action since 2008. ...
September 15th 17 01:34 PM
by ExPatBrit Go to last post
5 554
BT's DNS servers by Bob Henson
I use BT Infinity 1 and I've been having problems with time-outs for some weeks now. The connection speed is high and there are no drop-outs as such when you finally get past the time-outs. I'm connected to the router by ethernet cable. Test changes of (Windows 7) email clients and browsers made no improvement, so I came to the conclusion it was BT's DNS servers. I finally decided to change the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 12th 17 11:07 AM
by Chris Bartram Go to last post
14 825
BT sneaky offer by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
BT sent me an email today subject "Our BT Smart Hub could be yours today" In it said "How to get your BT Smart Hub We'll deliver your BT Smart Hub directly to your home (you'll need to pay 9.99 delivery charge). It fits through your letterbox, and it's super-simple to set up. 1. Click on the button below and log in with your BT ID and password
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 12th 17 09:33 AM
by Roderick Stewart Go to last post
18 817
EU plan to control and censor internet by Optimist
A Council of the European Union document leaked by Statewatch on 30 August reveals that during the summer months, that Estonia (current EU Presidency) has been pushing the other Member States to strengthen indiscriminate internet surveillance, and to follow in the footsteps of China regarding online censorship. Standing firmly behind its belief that filtering the uploads is the way to go, the...
September 8th 17 07:25 PM
by Stephen Go to last post
3 486
BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
Roughly every month BT Yahoo! decides that my password needs changing. Usually if I happen to access my email while out and about and not from my own BT broadband connection. This is nuisance as I have to update the settings on my PC, tablet and phone. Last night I had to change it four times in fifteen minutes. What a PITA. When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 8th 17 11:18 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
30 3,113
Bad PR for Virgin by MB[_2_]
In the Daily Record "'It blocks out all the light' OAPs fight to remove eyesore broadband boxes from outside their homes" "“We were never advised they were going to be put here but, apparently,
September 7th 17 05:45 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
5 471
Persuading BT OPenreach to investigate broadband problem by NY
A client of mine lives at the end of a long phone line in a rural location. He knows that his broadband speed will not be very fast. But he is getting an unusual symptom. His router (BT HomeHub 5) always reports speeds of about 1.2 Mbps down and 0.448 Mbps up, but he intermittently gets no internet access. I have seen this by running "ping news.bbc.co.uk" tests. At best he gets response...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
August 29th 17 03:20 PM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
23 1,087
Have BT made a change? by Woody
I'm sure dslchecker.bt.com used to show the length of the line but now it seems to have disappeared. Am I wrong, has it been changed, or is it a different site that gives that info? -- Woody
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 26th 17 10:01 AM
by NY Go to last post
13 778
FTTC cabinet change - it's happened! by Chris Green
A little while ago I asked in here what were the chances of getting my FTTC connection moved from a distant to a closer cabinet. The answers in general were not encouraging. Well, it seems it's happened all by itself. We had a total loss of service a couple of days ago, I reported it to Plusnet and they said it was due to a major system problem of some sort and that I'd get the connection back...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 22nd 17 10:12 AM
by Chris Green Go to last post
13 718
ADSL - FTTC - ADSL by Theo[_2_]
Is there a downside to signing up for Openreach FTTC for a short period? If I have a line that's happily on ADSL, and I decide to subscribe to FTTC, at the end of the FTTC contract how easy is it to go back to ADSL? Do you get hit by (dis|re)connection fees? Or are there any other problems with switching from FTTC to ADSL? (I assume they actually re-jumper you back to ADSL, rather than run...
August 19th 17 05:16 PM
by Andrew Benham Go to last post
2 510
More "cable" by Woody
"Tim+" wrote in message ... Okay, not actually cable but like the other piece, found under a hedge near where Virgin have been cabling. https://goo.gl/photos/9A5y715Nj2Pv5Y58A 1/2" diameter, four empty colour coded tubes within an insulating sheath with foil screening.
August 18th 17 09:27 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
3 577
uk 31st in the world for broadband by Chris
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/08/average-uk-broadband-speed-europe-germany-spain-singapore We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
August 15th 17 11:12 PM
by Brian Gregory Go to last post
28 1,329
Open circuit voltage on phone line very very low. by Adrian Caspersz
Been to someone's place today, where their ADSL broadband works fine but no dial tone. So disconnected all, and metered across the A/B pair where the drop wire comes in. Less than a volt. Is this a fault? The abode doesn't have any wired telephones - the multiple residents tend to use their mobile phones, so I'm suspecting the contract might be 'broadband only' - but I've only heard of that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 15th 17 08:29 PM
by Rodney Pont[_2_] Go to last post
41 1,555
For the idly curious. Virgin cable by Andrew Benham
On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 18:30:32 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote: On 09/08/17 17:27, Tim+ wrote: Our streets are being cabled at the moment and I found an offcut piece of "Virgin cable" under a hedge. life sure is lonely being an offcut, that virgin cable ain't gonna mate with another. I'm so sad for it.... So if you've ever wondered, this is what it looks like...
August 12th 17 05:12 PM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
7 429
For the idly curious. Virgin cable by 7[_2_]
Adrian Caspersz wrote: On 09/08/17 17:27, Tim+ wrote: Our streets are being cabled at the moment and I found an offcut piece of "Virgin cable" under a hedge. life sure is lonely being an offcut, that virgin cable ain't gonna mate with another. I'm so sad for it.... So if you've ever wondered, this is what it looks like...
August 9th 17 11:03 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 366
What physically happens at the exchange when there's a WLR migration by Mark Carver
My mother today migrated from BT (voice) and Plusnet (ADSL) to Talk Talk (yes I know!) for both services. It's all working as expected, but I caught some strange things happen this morning I turned up at 10:30, and dialed 1571 from her phone,it was TalkTalk's 'Voicemail' service, so I assumed the voice transfer had happened. I then dialed her number from my mobile, and was greeted with the
August 9th 17 11:59 AM
by Mark Carver[_2_] Go to last post
5 412
Post New Thread