Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
o2 termination of service. by DerekF[_2_]
I had an E-Mail from o2 some time ago saying that they were stopping E-Mail facilities for ex broadband users at the end of June. I then changed my contact details with companies that I used it with but E-Mails still keep coming. Derek
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 28th 16 02:01 PM
by DerekF[_2_] Go to last post
42 1,009
Phone Co-op by Jim Jackson
I'm thinking of moving my broadband to the Phonecoop, do they provide an smtp server for outgoing email? I can't seem to find any details. Jim
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 27th 16 11:20 AM
by Nick Leverton Go to last post
32 931
Networking advice - sharing a hotel or cruise ship wifi connection which has a captive logon screen by NY
We're going on a cruise and the ship has metered wifi: you connect to a wifi network and then as soon as you try to access a web page, you get presented with a captive logon screen where you have to login with a username and password which are supplied for each individual customer (this is in addition to or as a replacement for the WPA key). We'd like to be able to connect multiple devices...
September 27th 16 08:37 AM
by Theo[_2_] Go to last post
6 299
What does 'unbalanced cable' mean? by Chris
Over the weekend we had a fault on our line - lost connections and very noisy line - which was fixed on Tues. However, since the fix our broadband speeds dropped from 4.5meg to 3meg, despite having a sync rate of 6.8meg. I raised this with plusnet suggesting a bras reset, but they've come back with a new error - an 'unbalanced line' - which OR are due to investigate on Monday. What is it -...
September 23rd 16 02:47 PM
by Chris Go to last post
7 898
Router address help by Woody
My F-i-L is a BT ISP user and has a BTHH3. Said router has a slight tendency to loose connection and not recover, so I have obtained a BTHH4r - that's the open/retail version. Simple question - and bear in mind I have not been inside his HH3 - but the HH4 requires a username and a password so that it can register. I know the username is in clear text, but what about the password? If there...
September 19th 16 10:01 AM
by Dick Go to last post
5 253
BT HH3 problems by Woody
My elderly F-i-L is having problems with his HH3. It has worked perfectly for three or four years but recently has lost Internet access a couple of times for no apparent reason and the router has not recovered without a PoR. Questions: Is this a known issue with HH3? Would he be better off with a HH4r which are readily available at Expensive World and not too pricey? Is there another readily...
September 12th 16 10:23 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
4 331
Bank of Japan Risk: Running Out of Bonds to Buy (Wall St. Journal) by 7[_2_]
aasdaaak wrote: Japan's central bank is facing a new problem: It could be running out of government bonds to buy. The Bank of Japan is snapping up the equivalent of more than $750 billion worth of government debt a year in an effort to spur inflation and growth. At that rate, analysts say, banks could run out of government debt to sell within the next 18 months.
September 11th 16 10:03 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 232
BT HH3 as Wifi Extender by bert
Having switched to Plusnet and got a new hub - essentially HH5 I have my old HH3 surplus to requirements. Should it be possible to use it as a wifi extender connected by ethernet to my HH5 (Plusnet 1)? -- bert
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 10th 16 10:38 AM
by Peter Andrews[_2_] Go to last post
11 562
Scam phone call re BT router? by Terry Pinnell[_2_]
My friends, 70s and with almost no technical know-how, phoned just now me in great concern. They had received a phone call, apparently from BT, reporting that their router was faulty. The caller (a Nigerian?) "quoted our correct router number" and "wanted to arrange to send two men around to sort it out". I told them emphatically that it was almost certainly a scam call and to ignore it. But...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 3rd 16 03:44 PM
by Jerry Brown Go to last post
65 1,879
Report by someone scammed by MB[_2_]
A report shows how easily people are scammed. Here's how the ‘BT Broadband Security' scam works - a victim's narrative http://forargyll.com/?p=107802
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 27th 16 12:31 PM
by Bob Eager[_3_] Go to last post
36 1,016
Line Balancing Advice Sought - Chapter 3 by Java Jive
Heard yesterday from the client I fixed up last Christmas. Regular readers will recall that I left him with a working system based on three balanced BT lines giving them ~13-14Mbps, but that FTTC was then imminently available in the area. Late last night, he emailed me thinking they had a problem with the current system, but when I rang him this morning to help troubleshoot the fault, he found...
August 27th 16 12:28 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
6 296
Slightly OT? Mobile Tariffs by Java Jive
Thinking of switching my mobile tariff from EE, because they are ripping me off and their website is at best appalling at worst unusable, to Virgin, probably SIM only, because I can't get 4G around my home, and am not likely to be able to in the near future. My one worry is that I've noticed in Virgin's T&C that you can't tether. This would not be a problem, as normally I don't use...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
August 23rd 16 08:39 PM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
26 813
possible to have two master sockets? by Chris
I've just moved into a new house and it looks like we have two master sockets: in the kitchen and hall. I located the BT lozenge under the stairs and there are two wires coming out of it; each going to each of the master sockets. Is that valid and are there any implications for it? BB was enabled yesterday and am getting 4-5Mbps so far off a predicted 4-8Mbps.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 11th 16 11:30 PM
by Graham J[_2_] Go to last post
17 492
Plusnet: Beware their recontract offer by Soruk
How can they muck this one up? They haven't hired Demon's accounts department?! They sent out an offer to get 7.49/month off fibre broadband for 18 months if you recontract for 18 months - stating in addition: If you have a call plan or inclusive call minutes this won't change. So, what do I find they've done?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
August 11th 16 01:47 PM
by Soruk Go to last post
20 767
Problems with mobile tethering using Samsung Galaxy S5 by MB[_2_]
I tried tethering through my Galaxy S5 on EE after getting it and it worked OK. But tried a few times more recently and cannot get it work. Showing no Internet connections. I tried setting DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as suggested on some sites still not working. PC connects to it on WiFi OK and the 4G connection is OK when used from
August 2nd 16 12:32 PM
by Bob Henson Go to last post
6 399
Bhtee Spurt channels advertised using stolen copper broadbund money by 7[_2_]
Bhtee Spurt channels advertised using stolen copper broadbund money ------------------------------------------------------------------- Bhtee broadbund markets their fake copper goods as fibre at the expense of real fibre companies such as Hyeroptic, gigaclear, etc. They steal all the money overcharged from its copper customers to buy spurt channels which no one can get or watch or would care...
August 1st 16 12:55 AM
by asdsflkkjasdf Go to last post
5 299
BT Internet last week. by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
What a shambles. Loads of places cut off. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/07/21/bt-down-broadband-internet-service-suffers-second-day-of-outages/ http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/bt-down-again-furious-broadband-8461512 http://www.scmagazine.com/second-bt-outage-calls-into-question-security-of-critical-infrastructure/article/510930/ I did not lose internet connection, although access...
July 28th 16 12:01 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
2 361
Downgrading a bb connection by Tim+[_2_]
Has anyone done this? About 18 months ago we moved from a good ADSL connection to FTTC, not because we had any particular problem with the ADSL connection but because it seemed "the way to go". It was available and not too pricey. The thing is, in practice, although big downloads might be faster the connection just doesn't feel any faster for day to day web browsing and page loading. I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
July 28th 16 10:41 AM
by Roland Perry Go to last post
24 940
BT/Openreach monopoly "holding back progress" by 7[_2_]
dialup wrote: "I work from home in the media industry, so a fast internet connection is important to me and my business. My home backs on to a small business park which has superfast broadband and houses on the opposite side of the street have superfast broadband. However, BT Openreach says that because the cabinet to which I am connected serves a small number of customers, the...
July 26th 16 09:20 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 240
Bhtee is a shiite hole full of shiiteless wonders by 7[_2_]
Bhtee is a shiite hole full of shiiteless wonders ------------------------------------------------- http://www.computerweekly.com/blog/When-IT-Meets-Politics/BT-must-put-house-in-order-or-face-split-says-Commons-Select-Committee Bhtee is waging jihad against its customers by stealing their money, investing in media operations instead. "Openreach has been “over-earning” substantially in...
July 24th 16 10:17 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 285
Post New Thread