Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Crackly line but "quiet line test" seems okay by Tim+[_2_]
Been having a lot of trouble with line noise on incoming calls (from mobiles and landlines) however whenever I try the quiet line test on 17070 the line seems fine. Our broadband is also a bit flaky so I think the problem is real but I curious as to why he line test (done several times) always seem to be fine but incoming calls are frequently crackly. Could it be due to the fact that I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 16th 17 10:55 AM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
15 491
Plusnet, and NTE5 by Flowerpotgirl
Was visiting a 77 year old today, she is part way through completing a "house move process" with plusnet. She asked me to look at her wiring for her. her phone is supposed to go live tomorrow, but her main phone socket looks like a NTE5 but has no port for the phone cable, the bottom half is just a blank. It is hanging from the wall by four wires, white, black, orange and green. From the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 15th 17 10:54 PM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
43 709
Bhtee VM fails 2020 open market review by 7[_2_]
Bhtee VM fails 2020 open market review -------------------------------------- Bhtee and VM fail 2020 open market review to deliver 1Gbit symmetric DSL fibre to premises FTTP for 50 in a test of free market. By year 2020 no one in Bhtee or VM will deliver FTTP service in UK at 50 per month.
February 15th 17 10:42 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 173
BT Openzone to trial access to dark fibre from August 2017 by Chris Hills
Openreach, BT's infrastructure arm, has announced its intention to trial its new Dark Fibre Access (DFA) product between August and September this year, prior to the official launch date of 1 October 2017, ISP Review reports. Openreach's DFA product will allow rival internet service providers (ISPs) access to the company's fibre-optic cables, which technically means that they can install...
February 10th 17 05:45 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
5 374
Orange closing e-mail: POP and SMTP? by Allan
As reported in uk.diy and uk.telecom.broadband, Orange are closing their e-mail in May 2017 http://preview.tinyurl.com/jevzvzk http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure I wonder if they'll also be closing the SMTP service (as well as POP). That is going to cause some headscratching/heartache. The above info would suggest the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 10th 17 12:38 PM
by Roger Mills Go to last post
13 744
DHPC settings question by Tim+[_2_]
We have lots of connected devices in our house including a Humax PVR running the custom firmware. This firmware allows us to control the PVR over our network via a browser and for this reason it's helpful to have it on a static IP address. I reserved an address in the router settings and set it up in a static address and mostly things work fine. Recently however I've been getting a lot of "IP...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 10th 17 10:11 AM
by NY Go to last post
19 309
Using wireless router in another location by Murmansk
Where I am now I have Plusnet broadband down my Plusnet phone line. I'm going to move into a flat where I'll not have a phone line or broadband but I'll be getting broadband from my neighbour - I'll be connecting a 20M long Cat6 cable to her router. I was planning to distribute wi-fi in my flat via a TP-Link device I have but the question occurred to me - could I just connect the Cat6 cable...
February 7th 17 07:45 PM
by Woody Go to last post
7 259
Onesies by Vir Campestris
We're getting one, so we might finally get our FTTC. They've fitted little boxes on several of the telephone poles - about as fat as the pole, a couple of feet high, tapered at the top. What are they? Andy
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 26th 17 08:44 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
10 362
VDSL Multicast on ADSL line by Rodney Pont[_2_]
The BT checker says that my line will be able to get VDSL Multicast from Feb 21st 2017. The line will still only be able to get ADSL MAX. The exchange is only 20CN but there are VDSL cabinets around the villages from this exchange and lines on those can already get VDSL and VDSL Multicast. Is this a data error on my line or can they actually do VDSL Multicast on an ADSL MAX line? We do get the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 26th 17 08:32 PM
by Phil Lee Go to last post
79 1,986
Cat5 cable - can it stand kinks? by Murmansk
Two flat in a large Victorian house - I'm planing to take a Cat5 cable from the router on floor 2 down to the flat on the ground floor via the underside of the banisters. In the lower flat it'll terminate in an RJ45 type socket and there'll be an 8 port switch. From there it'll go round to RJ45 sockets in the flat and I'll have a Sipgate VOIP account with a Cisco ATA wired to the phone...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 22nd 17 08:57 PM
by Nick Go to last post
10 444
Networking problem in Win 10: active IPV6 stack prevents IPV4 DHCP working by NY
A friend's Windows 10 PC, connecting to his TalkTalk DSL-3780 router by wireless, is failing to be allocated an IP address by DHCP if IPV6 is enabled in addition to IPV4. No IPV6 address is listed in ipconfig, in place of an IPV4 one. The symptom is that ipconfig gives a 169.x.x.x address instead of a 192.168.1.x address. If I set IPV4 to use a static IP, subnet mask and gateway in the...
January 21st 17 03:18 PM
by Rodney Pont[_2_] Go to last post
5 286
VDSL install - engineer visit required? by Nick B.
What is the current situation with VDSL installs? I have ADSL but would like to upgrade, do I need an Openreach visit and a compulsory modem or can I use my own VDSL compatible equipment? TIA -- Nick B.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 19th 17 08:59 AM
by Roderick Stewart Go to last post
17 461
Ultra fast broadband FTTP by www.GymRatZ.co.uk
A recent flurry of BT Fibre activity in the street that passes our shop got me thinking Fibre is coming my way... The area is already FTTC for most users but a lot of us are on EO lines so no cigar... Dumped Cable many years ago as it became useless after the Virgin takeover from Telewest/Blueyonder days (for me at least). Boxes are appearing on top of telegraph poles with fibre coils...
January 17th 17 08:06 AM
by Chris Go to last post
6 306
How many fibres in FTTP/H ? by Dave
Just wondered how many fibres were in a standard FTTP/H connection - two I would guess TX and RX ? Dave.
January 13th 17 11:58 PM
by Michael Chare[_2_] Go to last post
4 424
Does old telephone and cable need separating from data intensive Internet? by 7[_2_]
Does old telephone lines need separating from data intensive Internet? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- So far intenet has been held to ransom by telephone companies sending data over telephone lines and cable companies sending data over teevee lines. Is it time to ban that lot completely and insist data must be delivered on data lines? Namely fibre data...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 5th 17 09:02 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
16 395
Moore's law for internet applies too - the best networks double every 18 months, the worst are left behind by 7[_2_]
R. Mark Clayton wrote: On Monday, 2 January 2017 21:56:28 UTC, 7 wrote: R. Mark Clayton wrote: SNIP Actually it's Keck's law for the internet.
January 4th 17 11:41 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
7 297
Almost no one in UK will have FTTP 1Gbit 30 symmetric fibre by 2020 from Bhtee by 7[_2_]
Almost no one in UK will have FTTP 1Gbit 30 symmetric fibre by 2020 from Bhtee ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The current deployment plan: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/06/bt-confirm-first-business-areas-get-fttp-broadband-rollout.html But the pent up demand is today: https://www.hyperoptic.com/map/
December 31st 16 09:29 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
3 349
Old news, but up here things are still much the same! by Java Jive
Researching for my quest to improve local broadband, I came across this. Plus ca change ... Pigeons 1, Rural Broadband 0 in delivering 200MB file! http://www.choose.net/media/guide/news/pigeons-one-broadband-nil-speeds-race.html -- ======================================================== Please always reply to ng as the email in this post's header does not exist. Or use a contact address at:
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
December 27th 16 09:50 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
26 830
Yahoo POP mail by Brighton Rock
Is it just me? I have been getting server errors most of the morning trying to pick up email from Yahoo accounts using Outlook & Thunderbird. Task - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR Server error - Please try again...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 21st 16 10:05 PM
by Dick Go to last post
10 502
VM mail slow by Woody
Anyone found VirginMedia e-mail (pop3) rather slow today? -- Woody harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
December 19th 16 11:35 PM
by Nick Go to last post
3 328
Post New Thread