Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Hyperoptic hits 100,000 fibre to the home subscribers in 2015 by 7[_2_]
Hyperoptic hits 100,000 fibre to the home subscribers in 2015 ------------------------------------------------------------- 1Gbit symmetric (equal upload and download speeds) is now 22 pounds a month and going down by the minute if Hyperoptic is near your area. https://hyperoptic.com/map/ About 0.5% UK households in UK now connected by fibre to the home. Still bottom of the league. Near third...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
April 21st 16 12:41 AM
by Bruce Stephens[_2_] Go to last post
27 1,030
Anyone use BTYahoo or Fashosts? by bert
Having awful problems with incoming mail ending up in Spam BT say it's Fasthosts and vice versa. Wondered if anyone else is having trouble. -- bert
April 19th 16 10:49 AM
by Chronos[_2_] Go to last post
8 619
VDSL/fibre managed installation - what does it include? by NY
Our ISP (Plusnet) says that they offer a managed installation as an option when upgrading from ADSL to VDSL. Talking to a BT engineer who visited to today (commissioned by Plusnet to fix a problem), a managed installation includes a socket move to a location that the customer wants - he was adamant that this was included and that I should insist on it if the engineer who attended to do the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 11th 16 09:18 PM
by Phil W Lee Go to last post
33 1,621
Three Tethering Scam by CJB
Three Tethering Scam I have a Three dongle and a 15 per month for 5GB mobile dongle account. All is fine except when I run out of data allowance and I have to resort to a fall back. This is a Three S2 Skyphone PAYG tethered to my lap top. However Three has now reduced the PAYG Addon options. I usually do a 10 top up. This give me free 3-3 minutes and texts - which I never use. However I get...
April 4th 16 10:07 PM
by Woody Go to last post
6 725
Upgrade from ADSL to VDSL - how long until download speed improves? by NY
We were upgraded from ADSL to VDSL several days ago but unfortunately the change was only activated after we'd set off for several days holiday, so I've only now been able to reconfigure the router to use VDSL rather than ADSL. The router is reporting sync speeds of 41,000 kbps D and 7800 kbps U, and SNRs of about 6 dB for both up and down. However Speedtest.net is still reporting download...
March 29th 16 12:42 PM
by NY Go to last post
6 675
Activity by Bill Borland
.... or the lack thereof. Is it a fault with my news-reader, or have both groups gone dead? -- Bill Borland
March 29th 16 10:11 AM
by chris Go to last post
4 525
[Slightly OT] DECT phone failure by Chris
Our aged, but usually very reliable Panasonic cordless phones have stopped being able to dial out. The dial tone is fine, but dialing a number doesn't connect. Receiving calls works, tho. We have an even older wired phone that works fine. I've tried swapping sockets etc with no difference. Is there something else I can try or are they for the skip?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 24th 16 01:16 PM
by Davey Go to last post
16 957
Regulators call for copper phone line install and fibre install to home for data be sold at same price by 7[_2_]
Regulators call for copper phone line install and fibre install to home be sold at same price --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- UK fibre installs are being charged 5000 per install while copper barely registers 100. Regulators see reason for fibre installs to be any different in cost than copper line install after studying EU...
March 21st 16 11:01 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
8 683
fap fap fap... not me I don't do fibre by 7[_2_]
fap fap fap... not me I don't do fibre -------------------------------------------- "Hello chap, could you stop doing that and install me some fibre to the home for me...?" fap fap fap... "Look, not me, I don't do fibre. I am master baiting as fast as I can with this here copper before they come
March 15th 16 09:33 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 556
Changing to updated BT socket has apparently stop me making outgoing calls (number unobtainable) by NY
When the BT engineers replaced one of my sockets with a more recent one with a faceplate, they seem to have stopped my line from making outgoing calls (I get Number Unobtainable or "the number has not been recognised" for all numbers I call) and have broken caller ID :-( My ISP (who is also my telephone service provider) has raised the issue with BT Openreach so hopefully it will get fixed...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
March 15th 16 07:57 PM
by Tim+[_2_] Go to last post
20 1,129
Are "7"'s feet growing? by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
Initially some interesting posts about FTTH, progress towards this in the UK and other countries etc. Now 7 is making about half the new posts to this group and is beginning to sound like a cracked record. Is 7 morphing into a troll?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 15th 16 04:46 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
14 788
$52 Beaglebone CPU card does gigabit ethernet - nothing to connect to in UK by 7[_2_]
$52 Beaglebone CPU card does gigabit ethernet - nothing to connect to in UK --------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/10/beaglebone-enhanced-adds-gigabit-ethernet-more-memory-usb-ports-and-sensors-crowdfunding/ Prices for 'low spec' 1 Gbit Ethernet boards with ARM CPUs are tumbling by the minute.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 15th 16 04:42 PM
by Brian Gregory Go to last post
31 1,431
ITU calls for 40Gbit Internet and also 10Gbit symmetric fibre to the home by Roland Perry
In message , at 19:08:28 on Sun, 13 Mar 2016, Stephen remarked: One of our lecturers always used to say that 'the men in grey suits' had to come up with things like this to justify their week in a five star hotel usually somewhere pleasant). ITU is another bit of the UN so probably Geneva :) I've been there many...
March 15th 16 12:20 PM
by Roland Perry Go to last post
0 488
Eternal-September certificate by Davey
I get a message today telling me that E-S's certificate has changed, and inviting me to accept it. Is this genuine, or some sneaky hijack attempt? -- Davey.
March 11th 16 04:55 PM
by Davey Go to last post
5 478
Totally Unlimited by Bertrand Zidler
Plusnet is criticized for its advertized Totally Unlimited broadband : http://arstechnica.co.uk/business/2016/03/plusnet-totally-unlimited-claim-lambasted-by-ad-watchdog/ "it noted, by way of example, that peer-to-peer traffic's minimum level was 5 percent of the available bandwidth." It is clear to me that we do not manage our bandwidth as we like, and Plus allocates it as they think is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
March 11th 16 12:32 PM
by Roland Perry Go to last post
26 1,168
Likely cause of sync speed varying between 900/7000 (U/D) and 350/350 or even 0/0 kbit/sec by NY
Our ADSL connection is normally very good. Typically we get sync speeds of up to 900 U and 7000 D. But the last couple of weeks we've been getting very erratic speeds and disconnections every few hours - the router then reports no ADSL carrier. Sometimes the router, which normally reports DSL Modulation Type: ADSL_2plus instead reports ADSL_G.dmt.bis and the sync speed falls to 350 U and 350...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 10th 16 08:45 PM
by Tim+[_2_] Go to last post
12 842
Li-Fi reaches 200Gbps while Bhtee still stuck in copper krone tool master bation by 7[_2_]
Li-Fi reaches 200Gbps while Bhtee still stuck in copper krone tool master bation -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/no-wi-fi-but-li-fi-200-gbps-via-your-room-light?utm_source=Elektor+International+%28English%29 Bhtee geriatrics continue with its unstoppable train wreck investing billions into oh so yesterday out...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 10th 16 07:32 AM
by Phil W Lee Go to last post
12 802
BT Contract by Davey
A friend of mine, who lives some distance away, wants to change her 'phone line and broadband away from BT. There are no prizes for guessing why. She has been with them for some years, renewing the service every October, but now that she is actively trying to switch away, BT are saying that she has to keep her current contract with them until it expires, or pay an early termination penalty. Are...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 9th 16 05:22 PM
by Davey Go to last post
46 1,661
7Gbit wifi routers with 802.11ad standard out this year while Bhtee master baits with their krone tool fantasies by 7[_2_]
7Gbit wifi routers with 802.11ad standard out this year while Bhtee master baits with their krone tool fantasies ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Goodie 7Gbit wifi routers out later this...
March 8th 16 09:59 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
2 507
Good/cheap deals for line rental, no calls, ADSL? by [email protected]
We have two phone lines, one is our main domestic line and is with PlusNet who I'm quite happy with for that line. The other line is currently a PlusNet business line as it used to be our business line but the company is now 'not trading' so I want to find a cheaper deal. We make no calls on that line now (well maybe one or two a year) so we're after a cheap as chips phone rental with ADSL. I...
March 6th 16 09:41 AM
by Mike Tomlinson Go to last post
5 511
Post New Thread