Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
BT renames FTTP to CTTP in major marketing push by 7[_2_]
British Telecum (BT) renames FTTP to CTTP in major marketing push ----------------------------------------------------------------- Not! In a major marketing push British Telecum has announced FTTP will no longer be known as Fibre and will be named properly as copper. Copper To The Premises or CTTP will deliver g.slow marketed as g.fast in a major marketing push to trick customers into
June 17th 17 09:21 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
2 165
John Lewis Broadband by Ash Burton
Does anyone have any experience of using the John Lewis Broadband service, good or bad?
2 163
DrayTek Vigor 2830n Oddities by Java Jive
Have one of these routers ... Model Name : Vigor2830n Firmware Version: 3.6.8.6_sb_211801 Build Date/Time: Dec 6 2016 15:00:28 .... and, apart from it not supplying local DNS when supplying local DHCP, it's pretty good. However ... Additionally I have a Cisco WRT320N with a DD-WRT v24-sp2 build configured as a wireless Client Bridge, which links via WiFi my bedroom on the top floor of the...
June 14th 17 12:06 AM
by Mr Guest Go to last post
5 190
Pusnet Skyi fake "Fibre" marketing against ASA rules by 7[_2_]
Pusnet Skyi fake "Fibre" marketing against ASA rules ---------------------------------------------------- I don't believe it! Butt, obviously the marketing trolls and management trolls sat on their fat ass inside Pusnet and Skyi believe in fake marketing of fibre when what they are really selling copper cabled services. Bhtee to their credit seems to have dropped "fibre" from their fake "fibre"...
June 11th 17 10:23 AM
by tim... Go to last post
3 171
Data only SIM by Bill Ward
Could I use the same data only SIM in my laptop dongle and my dual SIM phone? -- Bill.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 10th 17 02:53 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
11 230
SSE Broadband by Ash Burton
Does anyone have any eperience of using SSE Broadband?
June 10th 17 12:34 PM
by Ash Burton Go to last post
5 174
VM overutilization by Dan[_2_]
With their base packages starting at 100Mbps & 150 of cashback on offer I decided to take the plunge. A few days in & it's truly dreadful, 5Mbps at best durng peak times, a quick hop on to the VM Community I discover that they're overselling the service in certain areas where there isn't capacity, mine included. At 7:30AM it's blisteringy fast, as of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 8th 17 02:10 PM
by Dan[_2_] Go to last post
10 222
Latest Win 10 Upate Breaks S2 Tethering by SB
I have a brand new Dell inspiron 11 30000 laptop. To connect to the Internet I use a Three Dongle in a USB port; or a Three S2 phone tethered to a USP port. The former is good for 5GB fixed at 16 per month. The latter I can top up as and when I need extra data allowance. Just recently MS has released a massive update for Win 10 - which I have now done. It took an hour, followed by 69 updates...
June 8th 17 02:01 PM
by Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd Go to last post
4 192
Gigabit fibreoptic routers easy to make with FPGA boards by 7[_2_]
Gigabit fibreoptic routers easy to make with FPGA boards -------------------------------------------------------- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Yw4sa8Re8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJKA0SBQxs You can make your own routers for fibre optics with open source designs and software or pay 30,000 per router.
May 28th 17 08:53 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
1 159
Bhtee still running around with fake fibre advertising by 7[_2_]
Bhtee still running around with fake fibre advertising ------------------------------------------------------ Bhtee the fibbing losers are still brandishing fake fibre branding on their vans when in fact all they sell is fake fibre FTTC products where the last mile is just copper. This despite an ASA investigation into fake fibre claims at the expense of genuine FTTH and FTTP...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 27th 17 10:57 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
16 234
LLU resellers by Woody
"Theo" wrote in message ... Is there a way to find out whose infrastructure a particular ISP uses? It seems that some ISPs are resellers of LLU infrastructure but they don't advertise it. A lot of them will be BT Wholesale, but I wonder if there's a list somewhere
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 24th 17 06:00 PM
by Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd Go to last post
13 228
Orange e-mail closing: (final stretch!): changing SMTP for e-mailclient with own domain by Allan
Orange e-mail closing: (final stretch!): changing SMTP for e-mail client with own domain Spent a long time reconfiguring all those sites (probably missed a couple, but hey-ho!) that had my freeserve.co.uk e-mail address registered and moving it across to gmail address. At least I've had a couple of months to find out which ones I'd forgotten about! Did the final step today in changing the...
May 17th 17 07:00 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
7 194
TP-Link router (specifically TD-W9980) LAN configuration options - what do they do? by Chris Green
I have a new (to me) TP-Link TD-W9980 VDSL/ADSL Wireless router. I have now got the basics configured as I want (FTTC connection, wired LAN, etc.) but I'm still rather puzzled by some of the configuration options, specifically the LAN ones. The User Guide is useless, it just tells you exactly what the configuration GUI shows you anyway. It doesn't tell you what the configuration options do for...
May 12th 17 08:51 PM
by Michael Chare[_2_] Go to last post
6 213
Return Of Landline Woes by Java Jive
Came down the day before yesterday to find I had no landline broadband. Quiet line test shows noisy line. I use it to phone TenTel and the script droid complains about the noisy line, but still won't report it as a voice fault! Instead she fails the Turing Test by making me go through the usual crap of redoing all the tests I'd already done before even reporting the...
May 10th 17 11:07 PM
by Graham J[_2_] Go to last post
6 195
What VDSL routers offer a proper, configurable, firewall? by Chris Green
Continuing my search for a VDSL2 router for my (just starting today) FTTC connction I've realised that my most significant requirement is for a 'proper' firewall that will allow me to limit incoming connections to specific 'out there' IP addresses. Currently (using my venerable Draytek Vigor 2820n) I allow ssh and smtp connections into my how network but *only* from a few specific IP addresses. ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 10th 17 10:00 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
12 290
Plusnet price increases by Tim+[_2_]
Hmm, can't say that I'm that impressed by Plusnet increasing their prices when I'm tied into an 18 month contract. More fool me for signing up perhaps but I thought the point of committing oneself to a contract was to give Plusnet guaranteed custom for a set period and in exchange, receive reduced fees for the duration of the contract. Now admittedly my unlimited fibre fee is 1 less a month...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 9th 17 10:40 PM
by Chris Go to last post
46 534
TP-Link TD-W9980 WiFi not working properly by Chris Green
I have a new (to me) TP-Link TD-W9980 router connecting to my new FTTC/VDSL service. It's basically working OK, most of my systems are wired ethernet either direct to the TD-W9980 or via a switch. I'm getting around 25Mb/s which is good compared with the 4Mb/s I used to get with ADSL. However I can't get the WiFi to work, at all. There's also my old Draytek Vigor 2820n on the network...
May 8th 17 12:12 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
9 186
Reommended VDSL2 router for new FTTC connection by Chris Green
We have just got FTTC available. I'd like to squeeze the best bandwidth we can out of it so what not too ridiculously priced VDSL2 routers are recommended? We currently have two phone lines both with ADSL, one has a venerable Draytek Vigor 2820n for ADSL and the other has a BT Home Hub3, the Draytek does load balancing of the two ADSL connections. I believe the Home Hub3 can connect VDSL2 so...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 7th 17 07:40 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
39 483
TP-Link TD-W9980 - firewall blocks DHCP requests by Chris Green
This refers back to my previous thread "TP-Link TD-W9980 WiFi not working properly". I've discovered what prevents the clients getting their IP via DHCP - it's the TD-W9980's firewall. I have the TD-W9980 firewall turned on and it allows only the following at the moment:- All outgoing traffic - Any LAN address to any WAN address Incoming ssh - from a few specified hosts to desktop...
May 7th 17 05:23 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
2 173
Second ADSL router on LAN by Chris Green
I have a (new) FTTC connection which now provides my main internet connection and it's working well with a TP-Link TD-W9980 providing a firewall and appropriate port forwarding for incoming ssh and SMTP. I still have also a second line with ADSL on it which I would like to use if I can for a backup incoming ssh connection. At the moment I can't get this to work and I'm not sure if it's because...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 7th 17 10:35 AM
by Chris Green Go to last post
15 247