Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
VPN performance question by Graham J[_3_]
Scenario is: Vigor 2860 connected to VDSL 2.5M bits/sec up, 22 Mbits/sec down at my location. I know that's slow, but its well over 1km to the Green Cabinet. At a remote farm, Vigor 2832 connected to ADSL 800 kbits/sec up, 1.8 Mbits/sec down. As I said, it's remote! Both sites have static public IPs so I have a LAN-to-LAN VPN between the two routers. I can use VNC to drive a PC at the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 7th 20 11:40 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
41 2,448
Outdoor WiFi link - cheapest way to do 30 metres or so by Chris Green
I want a reasonably fast and reliable link to an outbuilding which is, I guess, 30 metres or so from the house. The existing UTP cable has finally given up the ghost in the recent winds and I'm wondering whether to replace it (difficult, time consuming) or to use a WiFi link of some sort. I don't need Gigabit speeds, 100Mb/s would be fine, thus a pair of 300Mb/s capable routers, if they can...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 4th 20 12:54 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
68 2,216
More WiFi Spectrum by Tweed[_3_]
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0038/189848/consultation-spectrum-access-wifi.pdf Interesting consultation about increasing the amount of Wi-Fi spectrum in the 5-6GHz region, and to removing some of the existing restrictions. “What we are proposing - in brief We are proposing the following measures to improve the Wi-Fi experience for people and businesses:
May 1st 20 10:37 AM
by Roderick Stewart Go to last post
6 670
Outddor WiFi - how do I get at router in bridge mode? by Chris Green
I've started a separate thread as I'm getting somewhere. I have configured an old TP-Link MR3420 Wireless Router to work in (what it calls) bridge mode as a client to one of the routers in the house. With both routers sitting in the windows where they can 'see' each other I'm getting something like 50Mb/s which is fine for the moment. So, the one thing that's bugging me now is how to get to...
April 25th 20 02:10 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
9 713
SFPs for VDSL/ADSL? by A. non Eyemouse
Does anybody have any experience or know of availability of SFPs with built-in VDSL modems? There was some talk on the Mikrotik forum and the RevK blog going back a couple of years but I can't find any UK suppliers showing them available. I have an installation where I need to use a Mikrotik router and this would be a tidier solution than having to bolt on a Vigor 130 or a recycled...
April 24th 20 11:52 PM
by A. non Eyemouse Go to last post
9 720
Plusnet: Drastic traffic shaping. by Graham.
It's nice to read the complimentary threads about the ISPs current performance, I'm having real problems with Plusnet, it's very selective regarding what I can and can not use since Sunday afternoon. If it matters I'm a VDSL customer on the Prestwich exchange in N Manchester. Its easier to list what *is* working. All Google websites Google Search, Google Photos, Google Maps, YouTube, etc etc...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 24th 20 08:43 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
118 1,908
F8Lure failure by Graham J[_3_]
I see it failed at about 10pm last night. Anybody else see this? I've emailed to let him know. -- Graham J
April 24th 20 12:50 PM
by Anthony R. Gold Go to last post
3 609
Spam from Zen Internet by N_i_c_k
Are other Zen customers receiving unsolicited marketing email from Zen? I've received two, on April 9th and today. The emails pass SPF, have valid DKIM signatures from zen.co.uk and were sent by exacttarget.com. Both have a List-Unsubscribe: header with a URL that, when followed, returns "403 Forbidden". Sad to see Zen, which has (or had) a good reputation, doing these things. -- N_i_c_k
April 22nd 20 09:08 AM
by Roderick Stewart Go to last post
9 570
PAYG SIM recommendation for VDSL backup by Peter Johnson[_3_]
Does anyone have any recommendations for PAYG SIMs to use in a USB dongle as backup to VDSL failure? My router (Asus DSL-88U) provides a dual-WAN failover mode if required and I'm interested in setting it up, although it is more than 20 years since I've had a failure - ADSL in those days. Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 20th 20 08:37 PM
by Peter Go to last post
13 1,159
Broadband not collapsing by Chris
Mostly people complain when things go wrong so I just wanted to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that, on the whole, our broadband infrastructure has coped well with a sudden upswing in demand during the day with everyone WFH. I've been doing a lot of video calls, remote desktopping to work, etc and it's been the end-point services suffering rather than the connections. A big thumbs-up...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 18th 20 03:25 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
18 1,102
Recommendations for Mesh Wifi please, wired backhaul preferred by Chris Green
Now that Mesh WiFi is becoming cheaper (and also probably better debugged etc.) I'm thinking of getting a system for our house. It's a big straggling house, currently we have three WiFi 'access points' which comprise the Draytek 2860n VDSL router, and two other old routers configured as access points. These provide reasonably satisfactory cover but not transparent 'roaming'. So the Draytek...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 9th 20 04:53 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
34 1,454
Request for someone with Zen and IPv6 by Richard Tobin
Could someone using Zen with IPv6 enabled please tell me if they can access the following URL: https://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/ I can reach it if I disable IPv6, and I can reach it with IPv6 enabled from work, but on my home network with IPv6 it times out. (I'd also be interested to know if anyone has trouble reaching it from a different ISP.)
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 5th 20 07:29 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
32 1,219
Three Mobile Broaband - Upgrade by CJB
Please can folks advise. I need to upgrade my plan for greater monthly data.. Currently I'm on 17 tariff for 20GB cap. paid for monthly; using a Wuahei mob. boardband device on 3G. If I upgrade that contract becomes 57 per month for 'unlimited' data (=100GB) - expensive. There seems to be 2 options - with a 12 month ccntract 1/ This is for a new 4G Wuahei device; with 100GB data at The...
April 4th 20 02:23 PM
by CJB Go to last post
7 501
Not complaining by Tweed[_3_]
It is traditional hereabouts to moan about the state of UK broadband. I'm amazed at how well it is all holding up at the moment. My house is currently running a video stream from BritBox and a virtual pub session with my student son and his mates over FaceTime (it's called the Stay Inn). All day I've been running video calls to work colleagues and haven't really noticed any issues....
March 31st 20 09:10 PM
by Bob Eager[_5_] Go to last post
6 515
Stupid wifi cordless 'phone. by Flyig u 22 + on desktop
Both my landline cordless handsets have decided to throw wobblies. After about 20 minutes into a conversation or waiting for some help operator to answer the handset goes dead. No sound, no sign of life on the display, just nothing. After investing I find that the charging voltage in both charging unit is good. Put the defunct handset back on the charging unit lets the display activate...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 24th 20 12:50 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
16 530
Coronavirus and IPv6 by Richard Tobin
You can see the effect of Coronavirus on the relative use of IPv4 and IPv6: https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=ipv6-adoption Zoom in using the slider to show the last few months. IPv6 is always a higher proportion at weekends and Christmas because mobile devices use it more than people's work computers. The last week shows the effect of people not going to work.
March 21st 20 01:42 PM
by Richard Tobin Go to last post
0 332
Plusnet down E Scotland? by Chris
Is it just me? PN status page is all green, but I don't think I can trust it. Anyone else seeing broadband issues this morning?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 12th 20 10:53 AM
by Bev[_2_] Go to last post
14 679
John Lewis broadband service. by Tufnell Park
Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service? Good, bad or indifferent? I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews. Ta
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 6th 20 10:26 AM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
15 749
Thousands lose broadband after workers break cable by Java Jive
"Thousands lose broadband after workers break cable Thousands of Sky and Virgin Media customers lost their broadband and phone connections overnight after a cable was damaged by workers. Sky said the issue began shortly before midnight on Wednesday in parts of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. It said online services and calls were fully restored by 14:00 GMT.
March 6th 20 12:02 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
0 360
Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery' by Java Jive
"Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery' By Dan Whitworth Money Box reporter 22 February 2020 Ofcom is writing to broadband companies to ask why some people are having to pay to keep old email addresses. TalkTalk charges 5 a month and BT charges 7.50 a month if customers switch providers but want to keep using their email addresses as before.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 3rd 20 10:06 AM
by Roderick Stewart Go to last post
53 1,263