Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Broadband not collapsing by Chris
Mostly people complain when things go wrong so I just wanted to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that, on the whole, our broadband infrastructure has coped well with a sudden upswing in demand during the day with everyone WFH. I've been doing a lot of video calls, remote desktopping to work, etc and it's been the end-point services suffering rather than the connections. A big thumbs-up...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 18th 20 03:25 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
18 850
Recommendations for Mesh Wifi please, wired backhaul preferred by Chris Green
Now that Mesh WiFi is becoming cheaper (and also probably better debugged etc.) I'm thinking of getting a system for our house. It's a big straggling house, currently we have three WiFi 'access points' which comprise the Draytek 2860n VDSL router, and two other old routers configured as access points. These provide reasonably satisfactory cover but not transparent 'roaming'. So the Draytek...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 9th 20 04:53 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
34 1,390
Request for someone with Zen and IPv6 by Richard Tobin
Could someone using Zen with IPv6 enabled please tell me if they can access the following URL: https://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/ I can reach it if I disable IPv6, and I can reach it with IPv6 enabled from work, but on my home network with IPv6 it times out. (I'd also be interested to know if anyone has trouble reaching it from a different ISP.)
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 5th 20 07:29 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
32 1,167
Three Mobile Broaband - Upgrade by CJB
Please can folks advise. I need to upgrade my plan for greater monthly data.. Currently I'm on 17 tariff for 20GB cap. paid for monthly; using a Wuahei mob. boardband device on 3G. If I upgrade that contract becomes 57 per month for 'unlimited' data (=100GB) - expensive. There seems to be 2 options - with a 12 month ccntract 1/ This is for a new 4G Wuahei device; with 100GB data at The...
April 4th 20 02:23 PM
by CJB Go to last post
7 475
Not complaining by Tweed[_3_]
It is traditional hereabouts to moan about the state of UK broadband. I'm amazed at how well it is all holding up at the moment. My house is currently running a video stream from BritBox and a virtual pub session with my student son and his mates over FaceTime (it's called the Stay Inn). All day I've been running video calls to work colleagues and haven't really noticed any issues....
March 31st 20 09:10 PM
by Bob Eager[_5_] Go to last post
6 500
Stupid wifi cordless 'phone. by Flyig u 22 + on desktop
Both my landline cordless handsets have decided to throw wobblies. After about 20 minutes into a conversation or waiting for some help operator to answer the handset goes dead. No sound, no sign of life on the display, just nothing. After investing I find that the charging voltage in both charging unit is good. Put the defunct handset back on the charging unit lets the display activate...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 24th 20 12:50 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
16 492
Coronavirus and IPv6 by Richard Tobin
You can see the effect of Coronavirus on the relative use of IPv4 and IPv6: https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=ipv6-adoption Zoom in using the slider to show the last few months. IPv6 is always a higher proportion at weekends and Christmas because mobile devices use it more than people's work computers. The last week shows the effect of people not going to work.
March 21st 20 01:42 PM
by Richard Tobin Go to last post
0 309
Plusnet down E Scotland? by Chris
Is it just me? PN status page is all green, but I don't think I can trust it. Anyone else seeing broadband issues this morning?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 12th 20 10:53 AM
by Bev[_2_] Go to last post
14 655
John Lewis broadband service. by Tufnell Park
Does anyone have any experience of using John Lewis's broadband service? Good, bad or indifferent? I am thinking of moving to them but can't find many reviews. Ta
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 6th 20 10:26 AM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
15 714
Thousands lose broadband after workers break cable by Java Jive
"Thousands lose broadband after workers break cable Thousands of Sky and Virgin Media customers lost their broadband and phone connections overnight after a cable was damaged by workers. Sky said the issue began shortly before midnight on Wednesday in parts of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. It said online services and calls were fully restored by 14:00 GMT.
March 6th 20 12:02 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
0 345
Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery' by Java Jive
"Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery' By Dan Whitworth Money Box reporter 22 February 2020 Ofcom is writing to broadband companies to ask why some people are having to pay to keep old email addresses. TalkTalk charges 5 a month and BT charges 7.50 a month if customers switch providers but want to keep using their email addresses as before.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 3rd 20 10:06 AM
by Roderick Stewart Go to last post
53 1,154
West Midlands to get access to ultrafast home broadband by Java Jive
"West Midlands to get access to ultrafast home broadband 28 February 2020 One million households in the West Midlands will be able to access ultrafast gigabit-capable broadband from March, Virgin media says. The company says the switch-on of its gigabit services is the largest in the UK, and will be available in Coventry, Birmingham and the surrounding areas.
March 2nd 20 10:52 AM
by Chris Go to last post
2 288
Weak wfi signal by Peter Johnson[_3_]
The wifi signal on my Asus DSL-AC68U router has become very weak. The phone will connect if it is about a yard from the router but loses the connection when it is moved further away. The wifi analyzer app tells me that the signal strength is -75dBm. My back up ISP router, in the same location, will have a signal strength of -60dBm and its reach extends throughout the house, and probably reaches a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 21st 20 02:50 PM
by NY[_2_] Go to last post
73 842
CCTV by Woody
Can anyone recommend a wireless IP camera that works without needing to talk to a server somewhere at a cost, and itself doesn't cost the earth? I want to be able to view its output from my phone. Ideally the camera should be waterproof so it can be outside, and need only a power supply from a wall-wart. I don't need an internal SD card for storage, and I don't need it to be remotely...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 16th 20 04:03 PM
by Peter Johnson[_3_] Go to last post
18 543
Changing DNS PTR entries by David Rance[_2_]
Does anyone know of a company that will allow me to change my DNS PTR entry? I have operated my own email server for some ten years now without any problems but because ESPs are clamping down on spam, etc., they have brought in draconian rules which are now preventing me from sending mail to, notably, any gmx accounts. So there are a number of my contacts that I can now no longer...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 15th 20 10:11 PM
by David Rance[_2_] Go to last post
32 847
Consumer contract changes 'could save customers money' by Java Jive
"Consumer contract changes 'could save customers money' Broadband, TV and phone customers will be given the chance to avoid hefty price hikes when their contracts end under rules taking effect on Saturday. UK watchdog Ofcom says users could save 150 a year on broadband alone once they are informed of alternative deals. Around 20 million customers are out of contract with their suppliers,
February 14th 20 11:05 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
0 307
Zen Internet Nationwide Outage by www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Apparently went down around 04:00 thismorning. Zen Fibre at home is out and ADSL2 is also out at work. Don't suppose anyone knows the reason for this major failure?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 4th 20 02:09 PM
by Malcolm Loades[_2_] Go to last post
10 570
banned list by critcher[_3_]
apparently I am on a banned list on uk.tech.digital-tv , so how do I get off this list.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 2nd 20 07:40 PM
by Steve[_3_] Go to last post
11 578
BT HomeHubs now 'loaned' by Theo[_2_]
BT Phone Residential Phone Tariff: https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf "BT Home Hub We'll supply a BT Home Hub to all customers taking BT Broadband, Superfast Fibre or Fibre 100/ 250 where the package includes it, or a new Hub is required for the service to work. This may be a new or reconditioned hub. BT customers who joined before 13.12.19, who request a replacement...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 30th 20 10:59 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
16 934
Government plans new laws for smart gadgets sold in UK by Java Jive
"Government plans new laws for smart gadgets sold in UK The government is developing laws that would require manufacturers to ensure their smart gadgets cannot be hacked and exploited via the internet. It is concerned many internet-enabled devices lack basic security features. Security vulnerabilities have been found in everything from toy dolls to internet-enabled ovens in recent years.
January 28th 20 03:23 PM
by Recliner[_4_] Go to last post
3 343
Post New Thread