Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
"Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants" by Java Jive
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47692485 "Britons who get their broadband from the UK's biggest suppliers are the "most likely" to be getting a bad deal, reports Which? The consumer group's latest broadband satisfaction survey places the big providers at the bottom of rankings for service. Customers complained about slow speeds, poor value for money, connection dropouts and general...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 28th 19 04:57 PM
by Woody Go to last post
30 1,760
Do I choose new tech or good service? by Trolleybus
I live in a village that's just been fibred up by Gigaclear. It's very tempting to just sign up for 900Mbs. But I really don't think I need that speed. There are only two of us and the only streaming services we use are Netflix etc., one thing at a time. We're currently with Zen and getting 78Mbs on an up-to-80 FTTC conection. If I stick with Zen I can upgrade to g.fast and get close to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 26th 19 12:27 PM
by Trolleybus Go to last post
14 725
Accessing non-Sky POP servers (eg Plusnet and Gmail) from a Sky broadband connection by NY
Assuming that I set up my email client to use authenticated logon for SMTP (rather than anonymous) is there likely to be a problem with reading POP email from my Plusnet account and sending email (either using Plusnet's SMTP server or Sky's) with a "from" address of my Plusnet address? I know some ISPs can be very fussy about letting you access "foreign" mail servers (ie not the ones that...
May 22nd 19 07:26 PM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
3 527
TPlink WPA4420 powerline adaptor sometimes becomes my PC's DNS server! by NY
I've got a Plusnet Hub One router and all the PCs on my network are set to use normal DHCP to get their IP and DNS server. One PC, Windows 7 Home Premium, is connected to the router by a pair of Powerline devices (one in the router, one that the PC is plugged into) because the wifi signal is a bit weak and it's not practical to run an Ethernet cable. Everything has worked fine. I've bought...
May 22nd 19 04:27 PM
by NY Go to last post
6 508
Free text usenet services by NY
I currently use Plusnet as an ISP and they have their own Usenet (News) server that clients such as Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird can access. We may be changing to Sky who do not have a news server. Are there are reputable free news servers that can be accessed from an ISP that does not have its own new server?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 20th 19 11:24 AM
by Allan Go to last post
10 739
Port forwarding on Sky Q Hub by NY
If we go for a Sky ISP connection, it looks as if I'll have to use the Sky Q Hub because my beloved TP Link 9980 doesn't support MER/61 authentication which Sky uses. I've seen mixed reports about port forwarding - some people saying that it doesn't work. I want to map:
May 18th 19 09:36 PM
by NY Go to last post
0 550
What speed should I expect from Plusnet by tim...
I have a standard PN "unlimited BB" account I had one in my previous abode with no complaints but at my new flat it appears rather slow. (currently downloading a 700MB YouTube file - estimated time 10 hours, used to take 1-2 hours.) Just did a check using: https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 16th 19 03:09 PM
by NY Go to last post
139 1,322
Phone and internet users to get end-of-contract alerts by Java Jive
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48268427 "Phone and internet users to get end-of-contract alerts Broadband, pay-TV, mobile phone and landline customers must be told when their contracts are about to end and be informed of their providers' best alternative deals, under new rules. The UK's communications watchdog Ofcom aims to help users avoid overpaying.
May 16th 19 11:16 AM
by Chris Go to last post
1 422
Draytek v2760 by David Wade[_3_]
Folks, I was thinking of getting a couple of these, so I can build a VPN which includes my Spanish an UK homes. https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/15136-draytek-v2760-k/ Is this a good solution? How do I choose where my traffic appears on the internet?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
April 29th 19 10:02 AM
by Graham J[_3_] Go to last post
23 1,896
Zen IPv6 by Theo[_2_]
I asked Zen whether they supported IPv6: "All our IP addresses are static. We can offer you up to 16 static IP addresses and then we would need you to complete a requisition form if you wish to have any more than this. We can provide IPV6 on request, again anything over 16 would need a written request."
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 28th 19 05:53 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
11 639
Mobile broadband question (and oddity) by MissRiaElaine[_2_]
Hi all, I've just bought a new (ok, second hand) laptop from eBay which I am pleasantly surprised to find contains a mobile broadband card. I have no plans to make extensive use of it, but given that the machine has it fitted, my question is, what is the best SIM card to use. I have an old, unused Three PAYG SIM which still has a few quid left on it, which at 1p/MB would last me at least a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 22nd 19 07:43 AM
by Peter Go to last post
53 1,314
Router port forwarding for VoIP by Woody
I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting worse. One suggestion I have seen is to set up port forwarding for it. I am using a TP-Link Archer D2 router and port forwarding comes under the banner of Virtual Server. I have no...
April 19th 19 07:57 PM
by David Higton Go to last post
8 411
Fibre to pole - what does it mean? by Richard Tobin
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection". What is this likely to mean? Are they setting it up so we can get FTTP or are they installing a distribution point for faster FTTC? -- Richard
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 15th 19 08:28 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
18 678
Dead line but working broadband by MissRiaElaine[_2_]
Picked up the phone to make a call earlier on and the line was totally dead, no dial tone, nothing, even at the master socket. Strange thing is, broadband is still working perfectly, no speed drop or anything. I know that sometimes one leg of the line can become disconnected, but when that's happened before I've had a significant drop in speed. Anyone got any ideas..? We are on FTTC with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 9th 19 09:05 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
36 1,413
FTTP - delay between poles being provisioned and service offered? by David[_4_]
In two widely separate locations (opposite sides of the country) I can see telephone poles with fibre run up to the top and black termination blocks at the top just waiting (as far as I can tell) for overhead fibre to be strung to the houses (as the current copper is strung). One location had a massive burst of activity for several months clearing out the underground ducting to run the fibre...
April 8th 19 12:44 PM
by David[_4_] Go to last post
3 440
Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky? by Java Jive
As stated in other threads, I've used a Huawei E3372s 4G USB stick now in 3 different routers, and it's given trouble in all of them - first a DrayTek Vigor 2830n, next each of two BT Home Hub 5as that I have posted about recently, and it's pretty much the same story on all of them - particularly but by no means exclusively in bad weather, not just rain, squalls of wind alone seem to be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 8th 19 10:54 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
16 641
Old style telephone wiring....and BT infinity? by David
On 19/08/2014 20:24, David wrote: On 19/08/2014 20:13, wrote: I live in an old victorian house, which has a phone line which goes to a bakelite box 4.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches, which I think is a surge suppressor. It has an earth wire connected to outside the property. The line then runs to a junction box, where it is fed to an old bakelite (type 26?) ringer...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 6th 19 03:59 PM
by Geo Go to last post
49 5,359
the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ? by Abandoned Trolley
hi there I am just wondering what the general view is of the astonishing number of wireless routers on the market (both xDSL and cable) which are offering wireless connections of hundreds of megabits, but have no wired connection faster than 100M. I realise that most connections are directed toward the internet, and that that majority of customers have download speeds less than 100M so its...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 6th 19 06:39 AM
by Lucifer Go to last post
41 1,639
WiFi enabled camera by Tweed[_2_]
Most of my photography has migrated to my iPhone, largely because of the convenience. Pictures automatically appear on my iPad and go to the cloud (both iCloud and OneDrive) by virtue of apps on my iPad. I'm looking for a compact camera for my holidays (don't want something DSLR sized) because of the lack of an optical zoom on the iPhone. However, I don't want to faff around with plugging...
April 3rd 19 02:32 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
7 582
Plusnet disabling all SMTP servers but their own? by Clive Page
This afternoon I received an email from Plusnet which looks genuine and says the following: quote Important - you might need to update your email settings We're changing the way our emails work Not using our outbound mail server? You'll find this useful. We're about to upgrade the way our emails work, meaning if you currently send yours through a non-Plusnet server, we need you to check that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 3rd 19 07:58 AM
by Lucifer Go to last post
19 853