Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
EU plan to control and censor internet by Optimist
A Council of the European Union document leaked by Statewatch on 30 August reveals that during the summer months, that Estonia (current EU Presidency) has been pushing the other Member States to strengthen indiscriminate internet surveillance, and to follow in the footsteps of China regarding online censorship. Standing firmly behind its belief that filtering the uploads is the way to go, the...
September 8th 17 08:25 PM
by Stephen Go to last post
3 310
BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
Roughly every month BT Yahoo! decides that my password needs changing. Usually if I happen to access my email while out and about and not from my own BT broadband connection. This is nuisance as I have to update the settings on my PC, tablet and phone. Last night I had to change it four times in fifteen minutes. What a PITA. When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 8th 17 12:18 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
30 2,244
Bad PR for Virgin by MB[_2_]
In the Daily Record "'It blocks out all the light' OAPs fight to remove eyesore broadband boxes from outside their homes" "“We were never advised they were going to be put here but, apparently,
September 7th 17 06:45 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
5 289
Persuading BT OPenreach to investigate broadband problem by NY
A client of mine lives at the end of a long phone line in a rural location. He knows that his broadband speed will not be very fast. But he is getting an unusual symptom. His router (BT HomeHub 5) always reports speeds of about 1.2 Mbps down and 0.448 Mbps up, but he intermittently gets no internet access. I have seen this by running "ping news.bbc.co.uk" tests. At best he gets response...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
August 29th 17 04:20 PM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
23 635
Have BT made a change? by Woody
I'm sure dslchecker.bt.com used to show the length of the line but now it seems to have disappeared. Am I wrong, has it been changed, or is it a different site that gives that info? -- Woody
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 26th 17 11:01 AM
by NY Go to last post
13 451
FTTC cabinet change - it's happened! by Chris Green
A little while ago I asked in here what were the chances of getting my FTTC connection moved from a distant to a closer cabinet. The answers in general were not encouraging. Well, it seems it's happened all by itself. We had a total loss of service a couple of days ago, I reported it to Plusnet and they said it was due to a major system problem of some sort and that I'd get the connection back...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 22nd 17 11:12 AM
by Chris Green Go to last post
13 417
ADSL - FTTC - ADSL by Theo[_2_]
Is there a downside to signing up for Openreach FTTC for a short period? If I have a line that's happily on ADSL, and I decide to subscribe to FTTC, at the end of the FTTC contract how easy is it to go back to ADSL? Do you get hit by (dis|re)connection fees? Or are there any other problems with switching from FTTC to ADSL? (I assume they actually re-jumper you back to ADSL, rather than run...
August 19th 17 06:16 PM
by Andrew Benham Go to last post
2 272
More "cable" by Woody
"Tim+" wrote in message ... Okay, not actually cable but like the other piece, found under a hedge near where Virgin have been cabling. https://goo.gl/photos/9A5y715Nj2Pv5Y58A 1/2" diameter, four empty colour coded tubes within an insulating sheath with foil screening.
August 18th 17 10:27 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
3 288
uk 31st in the world for broadband by Chris
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/08/average-uk-broadband-speed-europe-germany-spain-singapore We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
August 16th 17 12:12 AM
by Brian Gregory Go to last post
28 602
Open circuit voltage on phone line very very low. by Adrian Caspersz
Been to someone's place today, where their ADSL broadband works fine but no dial tone. So disconnected all, and metered across the A/B pair where the drop wire comes in. Less than a volt. Is this a fault? The abode doesn't have any wired telephones - the multiple residents tend to use their mobile phones, so I'm suspecting the contract might be 'broadband only' - but I've only heard of that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 15th 17 09:29 PM
by Rodney Pont[_2_] Go to last post
41 786
For the idly curious. Virgin cable by Andrew Benham
On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 18:30:32 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote: On 09/08/17 17:27, Tim+ wrote: Our streets are being cabled at the moment and I found an offcut piece of "Virgin cable" under a hedge. life sure is lonely being an offcut, that virgin cable ain't gonna mate with another. I'm so sad for it.... So if you've ever wondered, this is what it looks like...
August 12th 17 06:12 PM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
7 278
For the idly curious. Virgin cable by 7[_2_]
Adrian Caspersz wrote: On 09/08/17 17:27, Tim+ wrote: Our streets are being cabled at the moment and I found an offcut piece of "Virgin cable" under a hedge. life sure is lonely being an offcut, that virgin cable ain't gonna mate with another. I'm so sad for it.... So if you've ever wondered, this is what it looks like...
August 10th 17 12:03 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 260
What physically happens at the exchange when there's a WLR migration by Mark Carver
My mother today migrated from BT (voice) and Plusnet (ADSL) to Talk Talk (yes I know!) for both services. It's all working as expected, but I caught some strange things happen this morning I turned up at 10:30, and dialed 1571 from her phone,it was TalkTalk's 'Voicemail' service, so I assumed the voice transfer had happened. I then dialed her number from my mobile, and was greeted with the
August 9th 17 12:59 PM
by Mark Carver[_2_] Go to last post
5 242
BT (British Telecum) VM Openroach Offconn sells uploads speeds no good for internet gaming by 7[_2_]
BT (British Telecum) VM Openroach Offconn sells uploads speeds no good for internet gaming ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Internet gaming doesn't work with fake fibre copper services sold by BT, VM, Openroach and the krone tool master baiting wahahahankers who regulate them offconn. Since most of the adults and young population is now...
August 8th 17 04:06 AM
by Brian Gregory Go to last post
3 249
Old TV signals used to plug Monmouthshire broadband gap by Java Jive
"Old TV signals used to plug Monmouthshire broadband gap" For 'signals' read 'bandwidth' ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40544313 """ The broadband gap in a part of rural Monmouthshire is set to be plugged by TV broadcast frequencies left over from the digital switchover.
August 7th 17 02:28 PM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
7 270
BT Using Monopoly Position In Attempt To Water Down Government Policy by Java Jive
"BT offers broadband for 99% of UK" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40751449 Absolutely no-one here believes any such thing BT says, because they won't pay even to maintain the current infrastructure, let alone any improvement ... http://www.macfh.co.uk/Shinness/FTTCSubmission/AchfrishFault.jpg http://www.macfh.co.uk/Shinness/FTTCSubmission/NewAchfrishFault.jpg
August 7th 17 12:49 PM
by MB[_2_] Go to last post
8 240
BT (British Telecum) lies about rural broadband by tim...
"7" wrote in message ... BT (British Telecum) lies about rural broadband ----------------------------------------------- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-30/bt-pitches-788-million-plan-for-faster-u-k-rural-broadband It claims it wants about a 2000 per household to cable up rural when we already know its less...
August 7th 17 12:42 PM
by MB[_2_] Go to last post
2 213
BBC News Blunder by Java Jive
"Powys man gets broadband via satellite over Africa" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-40745533 " they are positioned above the equator to maximise coverage." Oh dear! Actually, they are positioned over the equator because that is the only place you can obtain a geo-stationary orbit, enabling fixed dishes to work. Satellites that aren't in geo-stationary orbit
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 3rd 17 05:20 PM
by Graham J[_2_] Go to last post
57 505
BBC News Blunder by PeterC
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 17:58:57 +0100, NY wrote: "NY" wrote in message news:... "Bill Wright" wrote in message ... On 30/07/2017 14:33, 7 wrote: Could you not have a satellite in a geostationary orbit above another line of latitude than the equator
July 31st 17 08:48 AM
by PeterC Go to last post
0 182
Block One Device by Simple Simon
I have a TP-Link Archer VR900 Router. I want to stop one device accessing the internet at all times but still be available on the local network. I have looked at access control and parental control but neither seem to be able to do this. Suggestions (other than get a new router )
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 28th 17 09:38 PM
by Theo[_2_] Go to last post
11 307