Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Draytek v2760 by David Wade[_3_]
Folks, I was thinking of getting a couple of these, so I can build a VPN which includes my Spanish an UK homes. https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/15136-draytek-v2760-k/ Is this a good solution? How do I choose where my traffic appears on the internet?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
April 29th 19 10:02 AM
by Graham J[_3_] Go to last post
23 1,825
Zen IPv6 by Theo[_2_]
I asked Zen whether they supported IPv6: "All our IP addresses are static. We can offer you up to 16 static IP addresses and then we would need you to complete a requisition form if you wish to have any more than this. We can provide IPV6 on request, again anything over 16 would need a written request."
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 28th 19 05:53 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
11 591
Mobile broadband question (and oddity) by MissRiaElaine[_2_]
Hi all, I've just bought a new (ok, second hand) laptop from eBay which I am pleasantly surprised to find contains a mobile broadband card. I have no plans to make extensive use of it, but given that the machine has it fitted, my question is, what is the best SIM card to use. I have an old, unused Three PAYG SIM which still has a few quid left on it, which at 1p/MB would last me at least a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 22nd 19 07:43 AM
by Peter Go to last post
53 1,169
Router port forwarding for VoIP by Woody
I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting worse. One suggestion I have seen is to set up port forwarding for it. I am using a TP-Link Archer D2 router and port forwarding comes under the banner of Virtual Server. I have no...
April 19th 19 07:57 PM
by David Higton Go to last post
8 386
Fibre to pole - what does it mean? by Richard Tobin
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection". What is this likely to mean? Are they setting it up so we can get FTTP or are they installing a distribution point for faster FTTC? -- Richard
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 15th 19 08:28 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
18 630
Dead line but working broadband by MissRiaElaine[_2_]
Picked up the phone to make a call earlier on and the line was totally dead, no dial tone, nothing, even at the master socket. Strange thing is, broadband is still working perfectly, no speed drop or anything. I know that sometimes one leg of the line can become disconnected, but when that's happened before I've had a significant drop in speed. Anyone got any ideas..? We are on FTTC with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 9th 19 09:05 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
36 1,341
FTTP - delay between poles being provisioned and service offered? by David[_4_]
In two widely separate locations (opposite sides of the country) I can see telephone poles with fibre run up to the top and black termination blocks at the top just waiting (as far as I can tell) for overhead fibre to be strung to the houses (as the current copper is strung). One location had a massive burst of activity for several months clearing out the underground ducting to run the fibre...
April 8th 19 12:44 PM
by David[_4_] Go to last post
3 419
Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky? by Java Jive
As stated in other threads, I've used a Huawei E3372s 4G USB stick now in 3 different routers, and it's given trouble in all of them - first a DrayTek Vigor 2830n, next each of two BT Home Hub 5as that I have posted about recently, and it's pretty much the same story on all of them - particularly but by no means exclusively in bad weather, not just rain, squalls of wind alone seem to be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 8th 19 10:54 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
16 597
Old style telephone wiring....and BT infinity? by David
On 19/08/2014 20:24, David wrote: On 19/08/2014 20:13, wrote: I live in an old victorian house, which has a phone line which goes to a bakelite box 4.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches, which I think is a surge suppressor. It has an earth wire connected to outside the property. The line then runs to a junction box, where it is fed to an old bakelite (type 26?) ringer...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 6th 19 03:59 PM
by Geo Go to last post
49 5,291
the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ? by Abandoned Trolley
hi there I am just wondering what the general view is of the astonishing number of wireless routers on the market (both xDSL and cable) which are offering wireless connections of hundreds of megabits, but have no wired connection faster than 100M. I realise that most connections are directed toward the internet, and that that majority of customers have download speeds less than 100M so its...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 6th 19 06:39 AM
by Lucifer Go to last post
41 1,578
WiFi enabled camera by Tweed[_2_]
Most of my photography has migrated to my iPhone, largely because of the convenience. Pictures automatically appear on my iPad and go to the cloud (both iCloud and OneDrive) by virtue of apps on my iPad. I'm looking for a compact camera for my holidays (don't want something DSLR sized) because of the lack of an optical zoom on the iPhone. However, I don't want to faff around with plugging...
April 3rd 19 02:32 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
7 554
Plusnet disabling all SMTP servers but their own? by Clive Page
This afternoon I received an email from Plusnet which looks genuine and says the following: quote Important - you might need to update your email settings We're changing the way our emails work Not using our outbound mail server? You'll find this useful. We're about to upgrade the way our emails work, meaning if you currently send yours through a non-Plusnet server, we need you to check that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 3rd 19 07:58 AM
by Lucifer Go to last post
19 793
Vigor 2860 firmware versions by Graham J[_3_]
I have a Vigor V2860 which I use on a VDSL service. The currently recommended firmware is v2860_3894_BT, but this drops the line about 3 times per day, at random. The FTTC cabinet is almost exactly a kilometre away, and the router reports download speed at 28Mbits/sec, 3dB SNR margin, and 27dB attenuation; which is consistent with the kilometer distance. The SNR margin varies between 4dB...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 2nd 19 01:26 PM
by Bob Eager[_5_] Go to last post
16 464
Automatic compensation by Roderick Stewart
From the BBC website- "Five UK broadband and landline providers will now automatically compensate customers when services do not work. From Monday, customers who experience delayed repairs, installations or missed engineer appointments will be compensated, without having to ask. BT, Sky, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and Zen Internet have joined Ofcom's
April 1st 19 02:27 PM
by Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd Go to last post
2 283
Help with Outloom mail by Woody
For reasons that do not matter I have opened an account for my wife to use at outlook.com However there is a problem with it in that mails do not seem to be arriving. I can send from her account to any of our email existing accounts and they arrive almost immediately. However if I use any of our accounts to send a mail to the outlook account only the odd one arrives. I originally had the...
March 25th 19 01:26 PM
by www.GymRatZ.co.uk Go to last post
7 397
Power for a VDSL modem/router. by PeterC
I've been trying to find out the runnining and standby(?) power of a modem/router for fibre. All the sites show idiotic figures, e.g. 240V or, for a wall wart, 12V 25W. My current ADSL one is about 2W when the PC is off - I can't remember what it is withe PC, TV & PVR on. Wireless is off, BTW. -- Peter. The gods will stay away whilst religions hold sway
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
March 20th 19 04:06 PM
by Richard Tobin Go to last post
20 691
P2MP at 5GHz by Woody
I have need to feed a common broadband presentation to three remote locations (all within about 300m). One location will connect to a wireless access point, the other two will be cable terminated. For various reasons it is not possible to run cables over or under ground. I have been looking at pole-mounted outdoor 5GHz units that can be configured to work as access points or as links - for...
March 15th 19 09:49 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
7 333
Hacking the BT Home Hub 5a (was Routers) by Java Jive
I've now acquired a second of these and successfully hacked it also, as a backup for the first. Given that the original thread got very long and convoluted, I thought I'd try and summarise in one, albeit long, post how to hack successfully a BT Home Hub 5a (BTHH5a), put an OpenWRT image on it, get a Huawei E3372s working with it, and add a public WiFi network. A) Physical Stage Requires:
March 10th 19 05:06 PM
by Graham J[_3_] Go to last post
6 442
Plusnet router - carry-over of configured settings from previous PN router by NY
Plusnet have sent me a new PN-branded Hub One to replace the PN Technicolour TG582 router, to see if it achieves a higher DSL speed (actually there's no discernable difference in atten/margin/power/sync speed, but it was worth a try). On the old router I'd set up various reserved IP addresses for computers/printer that I needed to refer to by a static address. I'm intrigued that the new...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 6th 19 04:53 PM
by Graham J[_3_] Go to last post
10 429
What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less than router's sync speed? by NY
Our router used to report a sync speed of around 1.5-2 Mbps down and 0.4 up. Speedtest achieved speeds of somewhere between 0.8 and 1.8 Mbps, depending on time of day (contention?). Then our line experienced a total loss of phone (no dialling tone etc) which has now been fixed and was due to an underground cable fault, according to the BT OR engineer who phoned to say "fault has been...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
March 5th 19 01:55 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
23 556