Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Houses conneced to some cabinets cannot get FTTC even though exchange and other cabinets can by NY
We're looking to buy a new (*) house. I notice that houses in some streets of the town centre cannot get FTTC, only ADSL, whereas others on the same exchange can do. It seems to be on a cabinet by cabinet basis. When I look at the BT line-speed site, the status is something like "BT is investigating ways of offering high-speed fibre speeds". That "investigating" bewilders me: surely it's...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 22nd 18 11:36 PM
by Graham J[_2_] Go to last post
32 323
Ping Bob Pullen? WTF is the email address for Plusnet sales?? by Vir Campestris
I've just had a sales email - I left Plusnet a year ago. And I am thinking about changing. The thing is I left because FTTP wasn't an option, except as a trial. And I can't see anything on the website that would (a) let me know what the position is now or (b) would have an email address so I could ask. They say you can do it via online chat. Which is not available... The web site packages...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 17th 18 10:03 PM
by Chris Go to last post
12 289
holiday by critcher[_3_]
could some rich person please pay for another holiday for 7, preferably for 5 years or more.
June 16th 18 03:46 PM
by grinch Go to last post
2 140
Hammond to pledge superfast broadband for most homes by Java Jive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44215833 However ... "But consumer advice website Thinkbroadband told the BBC the government was unlikely to reach its goal. The telecoms industry has already begun a number of major high speed broadband rollouts, with firms including BT, Vodafone and Virgin Media hoping to reach up to five million premises by 2020.
May 27th 18 01:48 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
8 271
Extending FTTC from a master socket by Vir Campestris
Colleague of mine has just bought his first house. The master socket is in a stupid place - what's the best kind of cable to run from there to where his router will be? He'd like to keep the 80Mbps he gets from the cab across the road. (Cable fatness is not an issue. The first job was to strip a load of walls back to get rid of the asbestos-ridden plaster - done by pros in suits. Complete...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 27th 18 12:00 PM
by Andrew[_2_] Go to last post
33 713
Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
https://www.telecompaper.com/news/average-uk-download-speeds-increase-28-to-462-mbps-ofcom--1243640 Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more. Still about a million with slow broadband, but they tend to live in the sticks like my sister. For some reason they moan about how everyone else should pay for them to get high speed broadband, but they forget that for other...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 17th 18 03:06 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
58 843
Buttfsckinghamshire fiber fees 500 sheets of paper per meter by 7[_2_]
Buttfsckinghamshire fiber fees 500 sheets of paper per meter ------------------------------------------------------------ https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/05/buckinghamshire-uk-make-it-costly-to-deploy-full-fibre-broadband.html The fees to fill in forms for permissions to install fiber is now the price of 500 sheets of paper per meter in Buttfsckinghamshire. Per kilometer, the price...
May 9th 18 10:26 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
4 345
Plusnet prices going up, or maybe down by Clive Page
Have other Plusnet customers had an email giving prices changes? Changes means increases, of course. It says that from 5th June they are increasing phone line prices by £1/month but including free Caller Display and Call Protect (previously 99p/month extra). But they also have some other special offers like "unlimited broadband and line rental" for £19.99/month, which is less than I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
May 8th 18 10:05 PM
by bert Go to last post
27 690
"Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules" by Java Jive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43962878 "Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules Advertisements for broadband speeds that breach rules set to take effect on 23 May will be banned, the Advertising Standards Authority has said. The ASA's new rules require providers to include a median average speed for the service between 20:00 and 22:00.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 7th 18 11:12 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
16 521
Hyperoptic left 400,000 British homes open to hacking.. by Richard Jones
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/04/24/broadband-flaw-left-400000-brits-open-hacking Most households won't be aware that the WiFi routers - the small boxes that are sent by broadband providers to get them connected to the web - are vulnerable to hackers if they are not secured properly. Someone with remote access to a router could snoop on someone's web browsing, send malware...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 6th 18 02:44 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
14 593
Facebook by Davey
I am going through the lists of things that Facebook knows and saves about its users, which just about covers everything that could be known about people, such as: "Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins. Device operations:...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
May 4th 18 07:55 AM
by Chris Go to last post
20 698
Continued BT YAHOO! shambolics. by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
increasingly frequent paralysis at bt YAHOO! servers, with up to day long lock outs to all devices and only web mail. After 12 hours off on IMAP / POP3, today web mail gave spurious "login attempts exceeded" on first try, although the servers have started working again (but for how long?). WHEN oh when are BT going to get rid of 'joke' Yahoo!?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 1st 18 03:00 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
18 597
Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..? by MissRiaElaine
Hi all, My other half and I are planning a canal cruise again this year, and we really want some form of connectivity while we're away. So we're looking for a USB 'dongle' that we can use on the laptop, we don't want any sort of contract, as it's only going to be required for 2 or 3 weeks in any one year. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best one to go for..? I know
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 25th 18 08:06 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
39 1,039
Talk talk customer service by Tim+[_2_]
Had a mixed experience with TT today. My mother has her phone line and BB with them and has had so for many years. A couple of weeks ago when visiting we realised that the BB wasn't working. As we had a spare router at her house we tried that (after doing all the usual checks) but it was clear that there was an upstream problem. On checking on Downdetector we saw that there was a Talktalk...
April 24th 18 01:27 AM
by Yellow[_2_] Go to last post
1 325
Intermittent phone line disconnections, however..... by Mark Carver
........broadband service is unaffected. It's my mother's line. The fault is either the voice side either going open-circuit, or short circuit. On outgoing calls, it causes 'cleardown'. On incoming calls there's a click and loss of audio for a few 100 milliseconds, and all carries on again as normal. On Friday night, the line was permanently 'engaged' for at least 4 hours, at mother's end...
April 12th 18 04:28 PM
by Mark Carver[_2_] Go to last post
9 430
'More than half' of UK households face broadband problems by Java Jive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43617492 "One in five British households have experienced slow broadband speeds in the last year, according to Which. A similar number have had connection dropouts and router problems, the consumer rights group added. It polled more than 1,900 customers across 12 providers, more than half of whom reported having problems with their broadband service or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 3rd 18 09:24 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
12 666
Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan in place" but exchange is fibre-enabled by NY
We're looking to move house and one house that we've identified has fast ADSL (up to 17 Mbps) but no FTTC (according to various ISPs' availability checkers), even though the exchange is fibre-enabled and other streets a few hundred yards away get fibre. The Openreach checker says "What does 'exploring solutions' mean? This means that we’re working with government and industry to explore ways...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 2nd 18 09:34 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
18 765
Southwark Council joins forces with Hyperoptic in full fibre push [allegedly] by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
Over the next year an agreement between the London Borough of Southwark and Hyperoptic should see the area be competing with Kingston upon Hull for the local authority with the most full fibre connectivity. read more... but when you click the link https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7987-southwark-council-joins-forces-with-hyperoptic-in-full-fibre-push you get: - " 404 - Page Not Found
March 27th 18 05:39 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
4 490
UK fibre to home to be rolled out by franchise holders by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Sunday, 11 March 2018 22:49:42 UTC, 7 wrote: UK fibre to home to be rolled out by franchise holders ------------------------------------------------------ https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7976-are-regional-franchises-for-full-fibre-on-the-way Which says: - "Of course if you take the unpopular but agnostic view that a 100 Mbps connection if it delivers that speed does not matter...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 15th 18 06:06 PM
by Tweed[_2_] Go to last post
12 756
ASA on the defensive by Graham.[_3_]
No wish to give credibility to 7's babblings by replying to his thread, but it's interesting to read what ****wits the ASA take us for: https://www.asa.org.uk/uploads/assets/uploaded/d791272c-805a-495d-8e25650af1740ab7.pdf Their synopses here https://www.asa.org.uk/news/asa-concludes-review-of-fibre-broadband.html
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 15th 18 08:12 AM
by MB[_2_] Go to last post
12 814