Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Consumer contract changes 'could save customers money' by Java Jive
"Consumer contract changes 'could save customers money' Broadband, TV and phone customers will be given the chance to avoid hefty price hikes when their contracts end under rules taking effect on Saturday. UK watchdog Ofcom says users could save 150 a year on broadband alone once they are informed of alternative deals. Around 20 million customers are out of contract with their suppliers,
February 14th 20 11:05 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
0 254
Zen Internet Nationwide Outage by www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Apparently went down around 04:00 thismorning. Zen Fibre at home is out and ADSL2 is also out at work. Don't suppose anyone knows the reason for this major failure?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 4th 20 02:09 PM
by Malcolm Loades[_2_] Go to last post
10 511
banned list by critcher[_3_]
apparently I am on a banned list on uk.tech.digital-tv , so how do I get off this list.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 2nd 20 07:40 PM
by Steve[_3_] Go to last post
11 541
BT HomeHubs now 'loaned' by Theo[_2_]
BT Phone Residential Phone Tariff: https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf "BT Home Hub We'll supply a BT Home Hub to all customers taking BT Broadband, Superfast Fibre or Fibre 100/ 250 where the package includes it, or a new Hub is required for the service to work. This may be a new or reconditioned hub. BT customers who joined before 13.12.19, who request a replacement...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 30th 20 10:59 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
16 893
Government plans new laws for smart gadgets sold in UK by Java Jive
"Government plans new laws for smart gadgets sold in UK The government is developing laws that would require manufacturers to ensure their smart gadgets cannot be hacked and exploited via the internet. It is concerned many internet-enabled devices lack basic security features. Security vulnerabilities have been found in everything from toy dolls to internet-enabled ovens in recent years.
January 28th 20 03:23 PM
by Recliner[_4_] Go to last post
3 313
Fibre-laying tools aid rural broadband rollout by Java Jive
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51221077 "Fibre-laying tools aid rural broadband rollout Infrastructure firm Openreach is using a range of tools, including ditch diggers and diamond cutters, to speed up the rollout of ultrafast broadband services to hard-to-reach rural areas."
January 27th 20 06:41 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
2 316
BT [Yahoo!] email down again by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/yahoo-bt-down-email-working-3287154 When oh when are BT going to dump these idiots - it was promised nearly ten years ago. Today any mail received between ~07:15 and 14:00 has just vanished into hyperspace, with little hope of recovering it. It doesn't show in Outlook, other devices nor even web mail :-( PS it hit lots of other ISP's...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 27th 20 08:58 AM
by Ray[_2_] Go to last post
68 1,674
London BB Outage (was: This ere large outage in London & BT [Yahoo!]email down again) by Java Jive
In uk.tech.digital-tv in subject "This ere large outage in London" on 20/12/2019 17:16, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote: It seems not only Virgin were affected, many other broadband suppliers, but not Sky, it seems have been off for nearly two days since the jcb cut the cable in New Malden. So is New Malden somehow some large data hub for many companies or are they all piggy backing on the...
January 23rd 20 10:22 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
2 507
openwrt 19.07 by Andy Burns[_5_]
Just upgraded HH5a to openwrt 19.07 it includes newer LTS kernel should supported until 2024, also newer Luci runs scripts client-side than on router, supposed to speed up GUI, but not very noticeable. After the upgrade, all working for VDSL/ethernet/wifi I reinstalled my "usual" modules required for 4G support, initially I forgot to reboot after installing them, and the GUI didn't...
January 23rd 20 09:30 AM
by Chris Bartram Go to last post
4 308
Plusnet dodgy Internet by tim...
For the past three weeks I have suffered continual episodes of "no internet" for several minutes at a time, but with access to my news server, so it's not the line that at fault. Are other people suffering from this? I lived with it over Christmas as I gave them the benefit of the doubt having people on holiday etc. But it's still happening.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 20th 20 01:25 PM
by Roderick Stewart Go to last post
44 1,043
DECT and FTTC, any known issues? by Chris Green
Following on from my posting in uk.telecom about our DECT phone problems (not detecting some calls and not always clearing down) it occurred to me that the only (fairly) recent change to our line was a switch from ADSL to FTTC. Are there any known problems likely to occur when using an FTTC line with DECT? Are filters more critical for example? Any other possibilities?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
January 8th 20 08:19 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
25 686
Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers by Java Jive
FWIW, I have recently sent the following open letter to all UK mobile suppliers except Three (because they already have a suitable plan available). If this or similar is an issue for others here, as it might well be, feel free to adapt the text of the following as a basis for your own complaint - remember to copy Ofcom and your local national and regional representatives: Copy: Ofcom ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 6th 20 10:50 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
30 1,180
3m homes have access to full-fibre broadband ... but 155,000 ruralhomes unable to get decent service by Java Jive
Three million homes have access to full-fibre broadband By Jane Wakefield Technology reporter 20 December 2019 Three million homes in the UK can now access full-fibre broadband, offering speeds of up to one gigabit per second. That's a sharp rise from this time last year when just 1.6 million households could get those speeds.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 23rd 19 04:59 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
14 623
Can I get a refund for very band landline/FTTC broadband? by Alfred[_2_]
I had a stable ADSL connection for long time at home. 1 year ago they enabled FTTC in the cabinet and I upgraded to FTTC, which at the beginning was working very well. I was getting 10/40Mbps as promised and the connection was stable. That stable FTTC connection lasted for 6 months. From June till now the connection has been very unstable. I can stay for hours without internet. I got the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 21st 19 11:14 PM
by Alfred[_2_] Go to last post
18 617
Oh dear - Openreach... by PeterC
Ordered FTTC on 14/12, Order passed to OR on 16/12. ISP said about 3 - 4 days, OR says 7/1. Well, so long as FTTP is being installed, who am I to complain - I've got 3mbps :-( , if it holds up at SNR of 6 and 3.5km to the exchange (and 25kV sparks 100m away). -- Peter. The gods will stay away whilst religions hold sway
December 21st 19 10:24 PM
by PeterC Go to last post
2 382
=?UTF-8?Q?Switching_broadband_provider_=27could_save_=c2 =a3120=27?= by Java Jive
Switching broadband provider 'could save 120' Haggling could save households 120 a year on broadband, but 45% of customers have not asked their current provider for a better deal, according to Which? The consumer group found that 78% of people who negotiated were offered an incentive, discount or a better deal." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50792986
December 18th 19 01:38 PM
by Ian King[_2_] Go to last post
8 9
What is a new customer? by Tim+[_2_]
Obvious in one sense, but do returning customers count as “new”? Toying with the idea of switching between Virgin and Plusnet fibre every 18 months to take advantage of their “new customer” rates. Is this possible? Tim -- Please don't feed the trolls
December 12th 19 08:19 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
4 416
Plusnet Support by bert
What has happened? Been trying to get in touch with them all this week. Either 10 - 30 min Q on calls or kept waiting for ages on Live Chat. Actually went from Pos 2 to Pos 3. Don't know what I did to deserve that. And all I wanted to do was renew my contract. Ah well, time for a change. -- bert
December 1st 19 03:06 PM
by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=CF?= Go to last post
8 339
Openreach to be nationalised by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
Back to the bad old days of you can only rent a phone / modem / TAM from the GPO and pay over the odds. Lots bonkers about this: - 1. Probably no domestic customers need fibre, just A/VDSL - 50Mbps is way enough to stream 4k video. Business customers may do (dozens of PC's on site), but this is a small sector of the market. 2. Leaves Virgin and the likes of Hyperoptic high and dry -...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 24th 19 04:24 PM
by Recliner[_4_] Go to last post
61 1,018
Interesting Conundrum by Java Jive
If, which I doubt, any of you have followed the shenanigens of our broadband here in Shinness, and our various attempts to improve it, you may be aware that we now have a shiny new green FTTC cabinet at the junction of the A838 and Tirryside at 256544,910287: ,15z As a result, two local households within a few hundred yards have...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
November 20th 19 06:15 PM
by Woody Go to last post
28 760