Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Yahoo Group invitation by Davey
I have been invited to join a Yahoo Group, which would be convenient, but when I looked at the T&Cs, I found them horrifying. One paragraph seems to sum up their whole ethos: " When you use or interact with any of our Services, you consent to the data processing, sharing, transferring and usage of your information as outlined in this Privacy Policy. Regardless of the country where you reside,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 4th 19 09:38 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
12 448
Routers by Java Jive
Following on from a current thread in uk.telecom.broadband entitled "How do most people manage IP addresses on their LAN?", which mentioned DrayTek routers quite a lot, and another in which I mentioned that I'd just managed to acquire a Virgin Data SIM with unlimited downloads for a really good price per month ... I now find that my DrayTek Vigor 2830n has lost its WiFi. I am familiar with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 28th 19 06:44 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
72 1,174
things Eurostar does that the rest of UK rail finds impossible by Tweed[_2_]
This on the new stock: Toilet doors with mechanical locks - even the disabled ones. Coach doors that open the second the train arrives in the station. None of this faffing around waiting for the door buttons to be enabled. No endless safety announcements.
February 25th 19 06:19 PM
by Tweed[_2_] Go to last post
1 241
FFTX upgrade? - poor daffodils by Martin Brown[_2_]
Against all the odds Hell seems to have possibly frozen over! My tiny village is apparently getting a full fibre upgrade! (there are all of a dozen houses in it). This is more than a bit surprising to me. The first I knew of it was traffic lights blocking my drive and a man in dayglo banging on the front door asking me to move my daffodils as I was about to leave for work in Newcastle (fat...
February 23rd 19 10:16 PM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
3 278
TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses by Abandoned Trolley
hi there If there's anybody out there using the TalkTalk business service on VDSL with MORE THAN ONE static IP address, then I would be interested to hear from you if you have managed to separate them in any way using the supplied "super" router - which appears to be a Huawei HG635 with custom firmware. Alternatively, if you fancy having a rant about TalkTalk, Huawei or Openreach, or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
February 22nd 19 07:51 PM
by Johann Beretta[_2_] Go to last post
25 683
How do most people manage IP addresses on their LAN? by Chris Green
As mentioned in another thread I'm having problems managing DNS on my LAN. This is more of a rant than a question but I'd still quite like to know how other people manage things. I have Plusnet FTTC (irrelevant to the current issue) and a Draytek 2860n router connecting our NAT'ed LAN to it. There are quite a few 'things' which I need to connect to at times on the LAN:- Desktop PC ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 22nd 19 01:39 PM
by Mark Go to last post
67 1,045
Any advantage in using private ranges other than 192.168.x.x in NAT router? by Chris Green
Is there any advantage to be gained security-wise in using a 'non-standard' private IP range in a NAT router. E.g. either 172.16.x.x or 10.x.x.x. I suspect not but I suppose there might be some gain in the 'security by obscurity' direction. .... any other advantages, except the obvious one of bigger sub-nets if you happen to need them? -- Chris Green
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 17th 19 06:30 AM
by Paul Cummins Go to last post
48 879
Another "router" question by AnthonyL
I want a local wireless lan on Win 7 without a router to run a test webserver and allow access via a smartphone. Thus far I've discovered XAMPP which runs a a local web server quite nicely but I have not found a way of getting IP address to the smartphones without an external router. Searching for DHCP Windows of course brings up loads of how to connect to a DHCP server but not how to make your...
February 11th 19 04:16 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
4 267
Providing Fibre Broadband in areas with Exchange Only Lines by Rab C[_2_]
I asked some of these questions in another group (Demon Service) but realised the topic would probably be better discussed here, so apologies to anyone who has already replied elsewhere. In terms of providing new fibre broadband in rural areas served by Exchange Only (EO) lines, how is this actually done in regard to the infrastructure? Are two networks provided side-by-side: copper and...
February 7th 19 08:23 PM
by Mike Humphrey Go to last post
9 364
Draytek Vigor 2860 and IPv6 by Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
There seem to be a few people here using Draytek routers, anyone with IPv6? The Vigor 2860 router is quite happy with outgoing IPv6 over VDSL, but incoming seems rather more complicated. The network uses DHCP6 addresses for outgoing connections, but the servers also have static addresses from my /64 range. For IPv4 I have port redirection set-up for my small subnet redirecting certain WAN...
February 7th 19 06:33 PM
by Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd Go to last post
6 295
Milton Abbas by Java Jive
Copying this to uk.telecom.broadband and uk.telecom.mobile ... On 03/02/2019 14:19, Bill Wright wrote: On 03/02/2019 11:42, Woody wrote: Did you not notice an earlier comment that the villagers are opposing erection of a phone mast to improve cover locally? Yes, they must be crackers.
February 6th 19 04:47 PM
by Kellerman[_2_] Go to last post
2 328
Proposed Sky speed upgrade by MissRiaElaine[_2_]
In October last year, we had a letter from Sky saying that our speed would be upgraded from its current 40 MB/s (ish) to an "average" of 63 MB/s. It was claimed this would take place sometime between December and "the Spring", whichever day of the year that might be. So far nothing has happened, has anyone else had this letter, and have your speed been increased yet..? If so how have you...
February 4th 19 08:43 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
0 241
Is Google down ? by David
Are Google and some other sites down? Not all internet is down for me. Regards David
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 29th 19 03:03 PM
by Apd Go to last post
30 2,101
BT Broadband speed with HH6 (Smarthub). by brightside
From Monday this week PC experienced very sluggish responses when browsing. Responses seemed normal (browsing didn't seem any slower for the first five minutes, then the browsing progessively goes slower and slower. Reboot (power off / on) HH6 and the same happens again. (PC connected via wireless n). Run BT wholesale speed test and it returns 31 Meg on a line with a 32.33 Meg max (so says...
January 21st 19 07:46 PM
by Dick Go to last post
5 299
Differing speed testing results by Malcolm Loades[_2_]
I've always used speedtest.net and until a week or so ago my pings were always 7-9ms, mid 60s download and around 18-19 upload. This with a VF 75Mbps service. Two weeks ago speedtest.net started reporting pings in the 20s, downloads +/-15 but uploads only marginally reduced to 17. I've probably done around 20 tests in the past week at varying times but all results are in this frame. VF...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
January 16th 19 03:21 PM
by Malcolm Loades[_2_] Go to last post
23 595
regain control of a bigfoot inbox by [email protected]
I've recently had my bigfoot inbox hacked and blackmail demands made by the hacker. They've told me they have access to files and folders on my desktop and could easily lock my computer so I'd have no access. Can anybody help me "regain control of the or close" the lifetime email address, so as to stop them using the email address?
January 15th 19 06:23 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 768
viable to use 4G instead of fixed line? by Tweed[_2_]
If you live in an area with poor DSL speeds, and no access to Virgin cable, and you have a decent 4G signal from Three it might now be viable to use them for your domestic broadband. It seems Ofcom have stopped them from preventing you from putting phone tariff sims in mifi type devices...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 7th 19 10:00 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
115 1,466
Half of UK homes could get faster broadband by Java Jive
"One in seven homes could be paying more than they need to for broadband and could get faster services for the same or less money, Ofcom has said. New research suggests that half of UK homes have not taken up faster services even though they are available. Ofcom has launched a campaign dubbed Boost Your Broadband to let people know about what options are available. It follows years of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 3rd 19 11:47 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
13 554
ADSL BB suddenly stopped -pair pinching?? UK by kinshasa
I have ADSL BB from a UK provider. The line has always been great ,no noise and good speeds. Recently i found that it had suddenly stopped dead. The phone service still worked and there was no line noise etc. After some delays whilst the ISP did some troubleshooting they sent a job to openreach. OR Engineer attended,did all tests and confirmed there was no longer an ADSL service on the line. He...
January 1st 19 10:35 AM
by kinshasa Go to last post
0 290
Ofcom report says 4G mobile coverage patchy in Scotland by Java Jive
"Mobile phone coverage in Scotland lags behind other parts of the UK, according to the communications regulator. A report from Ofcom indicates that only 38% of the landmass has good 4G coverage from all operators - while 82% of England is covered." .... also ... "4% of premises in Scotland still cannot access a decent fixed broadband service"
December 20th 18 12:16 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
5 343
Post New Thread