Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
New entrant to FTTP market by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
See: - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8147-new-full-fibre-operators-aims-for-35-of-new-build-homes-by-2020 Note the remarks about possible VOIP lock in towards the end.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 24th 18 12:06 AM
by Stephen Go to last post
19 1,038
Sky routers by DrTeeth
Hi, My neighbour has a Sky service. For some reason it looks like he has two routers/Wi-Fi access points judging by what I see when I use a program to show the channels on 2.4/5 GHz. Why is this? I do not have any problems with it, just curious. -- Cheers, DrT
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 22nd 18 12:27 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
30 1,786
BT Openreach predicting "In Scope" for FTTP (premises, not cabinet) by NY
If the BT Openreach fibre site https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre for a given address reports a status of "Your area is currently in our plans to be upgraded with Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)", does that mean that *only* FTTP (to the premises) will be available, or will FTTC/VDSL also be available at a cheaper price?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 21st 18 01:36 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
13 1,030
Plusnet call protect seems to help by Clive Page
Just to give credit to Plusnet for once (or more probably their BT parent): I changed my Plusnet contract recently and added the Plusnet free services of call protect and also caller display. Based on a couple of weeks's experience, call protect (1572) does seem to get rid of most junk calls. We had none for two weeks then two yesterday (and just afterwards some Jehovah's Witnesses called at...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
August 9th 18 09:47 PM
by Woody Go to last post
20 1,071
Adding an external aerial to a mifi unit by Tim+[_2_]
I have a Huawei (how the f*ck do you pronounce that?) 4G E5776 MiFi unit that I might be lending out to someone in a poor reception area. It has a tiny socket presumably for an aerial. Are there any gotcha's to choosing a suitable aerial? Any recommendations? Tim
August 7th 18 09:59 PM
by bert Go to last post
8 388
Hyperoptic - joke offer by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
I was browsing something to do with Liverpool Lime Street station, when surprisingly an ad' for Hyperoptic appeared in the middle of the page. Normally I would have disregarded it, but given their infant pet troll posts on this group and it said fibre broadband for 19 per month I decided to click on it, which soon gets you to he - https://www.hyperoptic.com/price-plans/?broadbandonly it...
August 6th 18 01:15 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
3 318
IoD wants copper switch off date - DCMS fiber engineers offer to take them off the Internet by 7[_2_]
IoD wants copper switch off date - DCMS fiber engineers offer to take them off the Internet ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The IoD sharply interated that they want a firm copper switch off date to force phone Internet companies and cable Internet companies to remove their shiite copper off the streets and make way for fiber. The DCMS...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 4th 18 07:48 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
11 496
Point to point wireless by Theo[_2_]
If I want to make a wireless link of about 500m through a typical residential environment, but which can't do line of sight, is there anything I could do? The land is flat, but LOS goes obliquely through about 6 houses so seems like a non-starter. There's nowhere suitable to install a reflector - it might just be possible to get reflections off existing objects, but it'll be two or three deep...
August 1st 18 01:19 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
7 343
BT crowing about 5G and FTTP by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8125-latest-bt-group-results-as-ee-set-to-launch-5g-in-east-london
July 31st 18 01:33 AM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
1 324
Mars IT abandons UK because of shiite Internet by 7[_2_]
Mars IT ditches UK rollout because of shiite Internet ----------------------------------------------------- Mars IT has said UK Internet is shiite and its moving all operations to Europe. They are not paying 85,000 + VAT for shiite Internet of 10gbits. May be 30/m in line with where International norms are heading.
July 27th 18 03:02 AM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
7 349
Router will not logon to WAN after work on telephone pole by NY
My parents' internet has stopped working. I seems that some gardeners who were working next door were removing some branches that overhung the overhead mains wires from a wooden pole to the houses (theirs and the neighbour's). This pole also carries overhead phone lines. The work that they were doing involved temporarily turning off the mains to my parents' house and using winches to pull...
July 26th 18 04:37 PM
by Graham J[_2_] Go to last post
9 344
Gigabit Fiber- big Demand with =?UTF-8?B?wqMyMDAw?= Gaming PCs by 7[_2_]
Gigabit Fiber- big Demand with 2000 Gaming PCs ----------------------------------------------- There is no way to *fscking* way is it possible to spend 2000 on a gaming PC and without first spending 30 to 50 per month on symmetric gigabit fiber Internet. There is no *FSCKING* Symmetric Gigabit Fiber Internet in London and UK unlike say Paris
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 23rd 18 03:44 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
14 483
No Customers in London/UK with symmetric gigabit Internet for 5G,IoT, AI, MI, VR, AR Digital by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Thursday, 19 July 2018 20:26:53 UTC+1, 7 wrote: No Customers in London/UK with symmetric gigabit Internet for 5G, IoT, AI, MI, VR, AR Digital --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No *fscking* customers in London/UK with symmetric gigabit Internet for 5G, IoT, AI, MI, VR, AR Digital, so what the *fsck* is any of the Industry...
July 22nd 18 04:28 AM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
5 302
"Britain's digital divide" by Chris
Brilliant analysis and visualisation of broadband coverage in the UK from the FT. Shows how stark difference can be just streets away. https://ig.ft.com/gb-broadband-speed-map/
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 21st 18 01:04 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
36 695
How to tell if you need fast Internet by 7[_2_]
How to tell if you need fast Internet ------------------------------------- Internet is now the back bone of Industry. Without Internet most companies would stand to loose substantial amounts of income from the outage. If the Internet is replaced with slow Internet, the frustration and loss of productivity become unimaginable and incalculable. So lets now assume your Internet speed is restored.
July 20th 18 08:05 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
1 271
Gigabit fibre - people won't buy it - a lesson for 7 by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8110-uk-could-be-number-1-in-broadband-league-tables-rather-than-35th Quite a long article showing the methodology was badly flawed and that people are quite happy with 40/10 ADSL and won't pay a premium to go faster. So Hyperoptic, already a money pit, looks set never to find the customers it needs to break even in its cherry picked areas... 7 had better...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
July 19th 18 02:12 PM
by MB[_2_] Go to last post
29 540
Windows 10 won't connect to WiFi on my Draytek router - why? by Chris Green
I have a (mostly Linux) home network with a Draytek 2860n connecting to the internet using VDSL. It all works well and much as expected. Mostly visitors using MS Windows and Android seem to connect to my WiFi OK too. However it would seem that Windows 10 (and possibly some iPhones) are failing to connect and I really can't see why. I have a Windows 10 partition on my (normally Linux) laptop...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 17th 18 12:51 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
50 703
Offcum has its Blue Peter moment with shiiite flying everywhere by 7[_2_]
Offcum has its Blue Peter moment with shiiite flying everywhere --------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/news/worldwide-broadband-speed-league-unveiled-uk-slips-four-places-to-35th%E2%80%8B/ The Blue Peter moment occurred on BBC Live TV when an elephant realizing it was the only elephant in the room started to spray shiite in all direction on...
July 16th 18 01:38 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 217
Late in the day by DrTeeth
Hi, The main reason I have stayed with BT is so that I would be able to change my ISP on my FTTC connection without any hiccups. Is this necessary these days? I have had enough of BT and would like to move both my landlines from them. Other than my broadband issue above, can any of you recommend a good landline operator with customer service in the UK?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 13th 18 04:23 PM
by Davey Go to last post
16 484
London touts Investors to go elsewhere to invest in Digital by 7[_2_]
London touts Investors to go elsewhere to invest in Digital ----------------------------------------------------------- There is no symmetric gigabit Internet in London so investing in London is not an option to Internet entrepreneurs. They all go to France - its simple, just arrive, use Internet to find some good companies and invest. Its all free Internet in most places across the globe now.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 12th 18 03:58 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
10 332