Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Where does 161 go? by Mike M
The dialled digits 161 have been linked to spam use but where, after dial tone,wll 161 go to, I appear to get no tone so it could lead to somewhere. Mike
June 29th 19 12:30 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
6 430
Global phone networks attacked by hackers by Java Jive
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48756030 "Hackers targeted mobile phone networks around the world to snoop on specific users, according to a report. The level of access they gained to the networks meant they could have shut them down had they wanted to. US-Israeli security firm Cybereason concluded "with a high level of certainty" that the hackers were based in China, probably...
June 25th 19 03:09 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
0 384
Sharp Practice - BT renege again by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
Over a year ago I took out an fresh month contract for BT Broadband that included free BT Sport. This was mostly to watch the Ashes, but as it was at night and my student days are behind me I couldn't stay awake enough to watch most of it (and we lost). I also watched the odd football match. The Sport ran out last month, but I let it roll on briefly because English teams were still in both...
June 22nd 19 12:42 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
2 418
Interest 'BT' try-on call this morning by Dave
Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 12th 19 12:07 PM
by Dave Go to last post
13 737
Virgin Broadband by DrTeeth
My street and many others in my area were cabled by Virgin Media some weeks ago. Considering how expensive I have heard that it is to do so, I am surprised that they seem to be taking their time in connecting us to their network. I have heard that it can take up to a year or never happen. Does anybody have any more info on time-scales? -- Cheers,
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 11th 19 03:35 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
29 1,194
Someone's "stolen" our line pair ;-) by NY[_2_]
We've just moved into a new house. We ordered phone/broadband from our ISP (Plusnet) yesterday and the BT Openreach engineer came this morning to set everything up - and found that yesterday another engineer had disconnected the line-pair to our house and used it for another customer, believing that it was unused because the previous occupants had ceased the phone/broadband service and we...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 10th 19 08:27 PM
by NY[_2_] Go to last post
22 905
"Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants" by Java Jive
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47692485 "Britons who get their broadband from the UK's biggest suppliers are the "most likely" to be getting a bad deal, reports Which? The consumer group's latest broadband satisfaction survey places the big providers at the bottom of rankings for service. Customers complained about slow speeds, poor value for money, connection dropouts and general...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 28th 19 05:57 PM
by Woody Go to last post
30 1,846
Do I choose new tech or good service? by Trolleybus
I live in a village that's just been fibred up by Gigaclear. It's very tempting to just sign up for 900Mbs. But I really don't think I need that speed. There are only two of us and the only streaming services we use are Netflix etc., one thing at a time. We're currently with Zen and getting 78Mbs on an up-to-80 FTTC conection. If I stick with Zen I can upgrade to g.fast and get close to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 26th 19 01:27 PM
by Trolleybus Go to last post
14 764
Accessing non-Sky POP servers (eg Plusnet and Gmail) from a Sky broadband connection by NY
Assuming that I set up my email client to use authenticated logon for SMTP (rather than anonymous) is there likely to be a problem with reading POP email from my Plusnet account and sending email (either using Plusnet's SMTP server or Sky's) with a "from" address of my Plusnet address? I know some ISPs can be very fussy about letting you access "foreign" mail servers (ie not the ones that...
May 22nd 19 08:26 PM
by Graham.[_3_] Go to last post
3 555
TPlink WPA4420 powerline adaptor sometimes becomes my PC's DNS server! by NY
I've got a Plusnet Hub One router and all the PCs on my network are set to use normal DHCP to get their IP and DNS server. One PC, Windows 7 Home Premium, is connected to the router by a pair of Powerline devices (one in the router, one that the PC is plugged into) because the wifi signal is a bit weak and it's not practical to run an Ethernet cable. Everything has worked fine. I've bought...
May 22nd 19 05:27 PM
by NY Go to last post
6 530
Free text usenet services by NY
I currently use Plusnet as an ISP and they have their own Usenet (News) server that clients such as Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird can access. We may be changing to Sky who do not have a news server. Are there are reputable free news servers that can be accessed from an ISP that does not have its own new server?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 20th 19 12:24 PM
by Allan Go to last post
10 787
Port forwarding on Sky Q Hub by NY
If we go for a Sky ISP connection, it looks as if I'll have to use the Sky Q Hub because my beloved TP Link 9980 doesn't support MER/61 authentication which Sky uses. I've seen mixed reports about port forwarding - some people saying that it doesn't work. I want to map:
May 18th 19 10:36 PM
by NY Go to last post
0 650
What speed should I expect from Plusnet by tim...
I have a standard PN "unlimited BB" account I had one in my previous abode with no complaints but at my new flat it appears rather slow. (currently downloading a 700MB YouTube file - estimated time 10 hours, used to take 1-2 hours.) Just did a check using: https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 16th 19 04:09 PM
by NY Go to last post
139 1,549
Phone and internet users to get end-of-contract alerts by Java Jive
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48268427 "Phone and internet users to get end-of-contract alerts Broadband, pay-TV, mobile phone and landline customers must be told when their contracts are about to end and be informed of their providers' best alternative deals, under new rules. The UK's communications watchdog Ofcom aims to help users avoid overpaying.
May 16th 19 12:16 PM
by Chris Go to last post
1 454
Draytek v2760 by David Wade[_3_]
Folks, I was thinking of getting a couple of these, so I can build a VPN which includes my Spanish an UK homes. https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/15136-draytek-v2760-k/ Is this a good solution? How do I choose where my traffic appears on the internet?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
April 29th 19 11:02 AM
by Graham J[_3_] Go to last post
23 1,984
Zen IPv6 by Theo[_2_]
I asked Zen whether they supported IPv6: "All our IP addresses are static. We can offer you up to 16 static IP addresses and then we would need you to complete a requisition form if you wish to have any more than this. We can provide IPV6 on request, again anything over 16 would need a written request."
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 28th 19 06:53 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
11 687
Mobile broadband question (and oddity) by MissRiaElaine[_2_]
Hi all, I've just bought a new (ok, second hand) laptop from eBay which I am pleasantly surprised to find contains a mobile broadband card. I have no plans to make extensive use of it, but given that the machine has it fitted, my question is, what is the best SIM card to use. I have an old, unused Three PAYG SIM which still has a few quid left on it, which at 1p/MB would last me at least a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 22nd 19 08:43 AM
by Peter Go to last post
53 1,471
Router port forwarding for VoIP by Woody
I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting worse. One suggestion I have seen is to set up port forwarding for it. I am using a TP-Link Archer D2 router and port forwarding comes under the banner of Virtual Server. I have no...
April 19th 19 08:57 PM
by David Higton Go to last post
8 434
Fibre to pole - what does it mean? by Richard Tobin
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection". What is this likely to mean? Are they setting it up so we can get FTTP or are they installing a distribution point for faster FTTC? -- Richard
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 15th 19 09:28 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
18 731
Dead line but working broadband by MissRiaElaine[_2_]
Picked up the phone to make a call earlier on and the line was totally dead, no dial tone, nothing, even at the master socket. Strange thing is, broadband is still working perfectly, no speed drop or anything. I know that sometimes one leg of the line can become disconnected, but when that's happened before I've had a significant drop in speed. Anyone got any ideas..? We are on FTTC with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 9th 19 10:05 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
36 1,519