Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Changing a router by Woody
I asked on here a few weeks ago about routers that self reboot to overcome a problem that a farmer friend has. He is at the end of a long line (3Km) and usually gets about 1.6Mb. However sometimes, often after wet/windy weather, the speed drops to around to 650Kb and it can only be made to go back up by power cycling the mains. I will be seeing him shortly and I have a 24hr timeswitch which...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 13th 18 04:43 PM
by Mark Carver[_2_] Go to last post
34 1,248
Draytek v2760 by David Wade[_3_]
Folks, I was thinking of getting a couple of these, so I can build a VPN which includes my Spanish an UK homes. https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/15136-draytek-v2760-k/ Is this a good solution? How do I choose where my traffic appears on the internet?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 13th 18 08:44 AM
by David Wade[_3_] Go to last post
19 825
SOT: problems with Skype by Woody
I have Skype on two machines, a laptop running W7Pro and a desktop running W10Pro. This morning I attempted a Skype call with my daughter. We got her picture, she got our sound but nothing else - she initiated the call. This has worked perfectly in the past, and were are both on VM cable. I checked and there was an update (8.17.02) but after that was installed I could not sign in - I just...
March 12th 18 12:05 PM
by Tweed[_2_] Go to last post
6 454
Openroach will lower their 1gbit symmetric fibre internet to around 3000 by Richard Tobin
In article , R. Mark Clayton wrote: Your firm is an ISP - and the question remains - why are you moaning about BT's prices when you say you can install for 5% of the price - just do it. Does he really have a company? If so, what's it called, so I can steer clear of it.
March 6th 18 12:21 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
6 458
Openroach will lower their 1gbit symmetric fibre internet to around 3000 by Vir Campestris
On 03/03/2018 18:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote: What unnecessary copper, it is all still carrying POTS. In my case that's only due to BT's incompetence. The fibre modem comes with 2 POTS ports. (and a UPS) We'd love to take down the ugly old copper, but the fibre ports are outgoing only. They don't ring. Central computer problem apparently. Andy
March 4th 18 09:54 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
0 362
Fibre unbundling at the poles by Vir Campestris
On 03/03/2018 09:43, R. Mark Clayton wrote: Sure Andy, about 5% live remotely enough in the sticks that their ADSL speed is low and reliability poor. Don't fall for the fibre over the fields bull' - it will be off the first time a cow steps on it or the field is ploughed... BT did it. It's over poles mostly, though they did put in a bit of extra ducting. Some of the village does have FTTC....
March 4th 18 09:51 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
0 349
Hyperoptic get their way. by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/02/ofcoms-told-bt-it-has-to-share-its-telegraph-poles-with-other-internet-providers/ Which will allow me-too operators like Hyperoptic to piggy-back BT's infratructure at little or no cost, giving them opportunity profits and slashing BT's. Hopefully now they have won we won't have to endure pages of 7's drivel about the subject, although whether Hyperoptic can...
February 25th 18 11:22 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
5 416
UK politicians should only ask for Symmetric Fibre Internet on behalf of UK plc by 7[_2_]
UK politicians should only ask for Symmetric Fibre Internet on behalf of UK plc ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Politicians in UK with shiite education will always call for "broadband internet" because they have no idea what it means. UK politicians should only ask for "symmetric fibre internet" because it is 20 times lower cost to provision, 20...
February 23rd 18 11:47 PM
by CheeseySock Go to last post
1 411
BT HH4 speed issue by Woody
A friend who is a farmer also runs a small caravan site and has provided free wi-fi for his guests. He is at the end of almost 3000m of (mainly) overhead line and so the download speed is slow. When we arrived on site last month it was doing almost 1.6Mb. We then had two nights of heavy rain and frighteningly high winds. When I checked again the download was only 650K but the upload was...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
February 21st 18 05:14 PM
by Graham J[_2_] Go to last post
21 819
LOA by Flyig u 28 + on desktop
For tomorrow morning. I'm attending the hospital for the appointment that I missed Monday morning because the doctor I was supposed to see had thrown a sicky!! -- Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter FN 28+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland
February 20th 18 05:08 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
3 453
Upgrade? by Davey
My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current 7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not pressurising me. Bearing in mind that my use is fairly simple, a PC or two, a printer, and a PVR, all wired, and a Wi-Fi connected camera, is there any great advantage in doing this? The cost is about 75. If there will be definite advantages, it would be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 11th 18 06:28 PM
by Davey Go to last post
16 752
BT [Yahoo!] servers screwed yet again by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
Can't access email from Outlook , tablet nor phone. Third or fourth time in two weeks - outages last many hours. Can still log into web mail. Usually affects main account, but two sub accounts briefly affected on Monday. Very little held online (.ost), so hard to see any rationale, such as difficulty syncing . When Oh when are BT going to dump Yahoo! and do email properly?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 7th 18 01:36 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
42 1,940
BT TV box uncommanded power on by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
Mine keeps coming on at odd times, despite being set to be on cold standby and no configured events. If previously on an online channel it saps bandwidth between the router and the net, slowing my PC. Anyone know how to stop this short of unplugging the wall wart?
February 7th 18 10:12 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
4 435
FTTC again!!! :( by Flyig u 218 + on netbook
After waiting since December 2012, which was the first availability of VDSL FTTC and SOGEA from my local cabinet that I was aware of, and from then, them constantly putting the date back, so that the last they were publishing was December 2017 we have now progressed. There is no availability date published at all, andwhat they state now is: 'VDSL FTTC and SOGEA is currently not...
January 31st 18 05:07 PM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
9 528
John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (traffic shaping) by Winston Smith[_2_]
Right now I have ADSL with Plus.net. Recently the the cabinet in my street was fibre-enabled, and I can now get VDSL (FTTC). Right now I am getting 1Mbps up/ 6Mbps down, and 65 ms ping. I will be upgrading to 10Mbps up/38Mbps up. Will the ping time improve much? I can try to get a higher speed 76Mbps product, but I doubt I can get that speed 300 meters away from the cabinet or that there...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 29th 18 08:17 PM
by critcher[_3_] Go to last post
35 1,160
Domain Name Release by Simple Simon
I have several domain names hosted on daily.co.uk left over from previous projects. I no longer want/need them. They are all set to expire but I would be happier if they were released now. Some however have another year to run. I have asked daily if they would release them now but I got a flat "no" in reply.
January 28th 18 03:58 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
1 380
BT (British Telecum) to pay 8 beelion for football but invest 2 beelion fo by Paul Cummins
In article , (7) wrote: So BT (British Telecum) is a Teevee cumpany? Yes, the same as Sky, Virgin, etc. BT has been involved in TV distribution since building Milton Keynes cable int he 1960's.
January 28th 18 01:15 PM
by johnny-knowall Go to last post
1 336
Eternal September by Woody
Is it down again? -- Woody harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
January 27th 18 08:54 PM
by tim... Go to last post
3 313
Strange speeds by Woody
A farmer friend has four lines to his premises all with their own broadband (ask ye not why.) They run on the same U/G cable direct from the exchange to a pole DP and then in the same O/H multi-core cable to his premises. All are BT circuits as there is no other option. Can anyone explain to me why dslchecker shows different end speeds and why there is so much variaton, all in Mb/s: ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 27th 18 08:25 PM
by Woody Go to last post
12 427
Net neutrality by MB[_2_]
A friend sent me a link to a YouTube item sending up Net Neutrality https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltzy5vRmN8Q He commented also The giant Reese's (peanut butter sweet similar to Rolos) mug at the end is a poke at the Chairman of the FCC.
January 27th 18 07:13 PM
by MB[_2_] Go to last post
0 276
Post New Thread