Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
West Midlands to get access to ultrafast home broadband by Java Jive
"West Midlands to get access to ultrafast home broadband 28 February 2020 One million households in the West Midlands will be able to access ultrafast gigabit-capable broadband from March, Virgin media says. The company says the switch-on of its gigabit services is the largest in the UK, and will be available in Coventry, Birmingham and the surrounding areas.
March 2nd 20 10:52 AM
by Chris Go to last post
2 301
Weak wfi signal by Peter Johnson[_3_]
The wifi signal on my Asus DSL-AC68U router has become very weak. The phone will connect if it is about a yard from the router but loses the connection when it is moved further away. The wifi analyzer app tells me that the signal strength is -75dBm. My back up ISP router, in the same location, will have a signal strength of -60dBm and its reach extends throughout the house, and probably reaches a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 21st 20 02:50 PM
by NY[_2_] Go to last post
73 919
CCTV by Woody
Can anyone recommend a wireless IP camera that works without needing to talk to a server somewhere at a cost, and itself doesn't cost the earth? I want to be able to view its output from my phone. Ideally the camera should be waterproof so it can be outside, and need only a power supply from a wall-wart. I don't need an internal SD card for storage, and I don't need it to be remotely...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 16th 20 04:03 PM
by Peter Johnson[_3_] Go to last post
18 577
Changing DNS PTR entries by David Rance[_2_]
Does anyone know of a company that will allow me to change my DNS PTR entry? I have operated my own email server for some ten years now without any problems but because ESPs are clamping down on spam, etc., they have brought in draconian rules which are now preventing me from sending mail to, notably, any gmx accounts. So there are a number of my contacts that I can now no longer...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 15th 20 10:11 PM
by David Rance[_2_] Go to last post
32 902
Consumer contract changes 'could save customers money' by Java Jive
"Consumer contract changes 'could save customers money' Broadband, TV and phone customers will be given the chance to avoid hefty price hikes when their contracts end under rules taking effect on Saturday. UK watchdog Ofcom says users could save 150 a year on broadband alone once they are informed of alternative deals. Around 20 million customers are out of contract with their suppliers,
February 14th 20 11:05 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
0 332
Zen Internet Nationwide Outage by www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Apparently went down around 04:00 thismorning. Zen Fibre at home is out and ADSL2 is also out at work. Don't suppose anyone knows the reason for this major failure?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 4th 20 02:09 PM
by Malcolm Loades[_2_] Go to last post
10 601
banned list by critcher[_3_]
apparently I am on a banned list on uk.tech.digital-tv , so how do I get off this list.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 2nd 20 07:40 PM
by Steve[_3_] Go to last post
11 618
BT HomeHubs now 'loaned' by Theo[_2_]
BT Phone Residential Phone Tariff: https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf "BT Home Hub We'll supply a BT Home Hub to all customers taking BT Broadband, Superfast Fibre or Fibre 100/ 250 where the package includes it, or a new Hub is required for the service to work. This may be a new or reconditioned hub. BT customers who joined before 13.12.19, who request a replacement...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 30th 20 10:59 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
16 969
Government plans new laws for smart gadgets sold in UK by Java Jive
"Government plans new laws for smart gadgets sold in UK The government is developing laws that would require manufacturers to ensure their smart gadgets cannot be hacked and exploited via the internet. It is concerned many internet-enabled devices lack basic security features. Security vulnerabilities have been found in everything from toy dolls to internet-enabled ovens in recent years.
January 28th 20 03:23 PM
by Recliner[_4_] Go to last post
3 357
Fibre-laying tools aid rural broadband rollout by Java Jive
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51221077 "Fibre-laying tools aid rural broadband rollout Infrastructure firm Openreach is using a range of tools, including ditch diggers and diamond cutters, to speed up the rollout of ultrafast broadband services to hard-to-reach rural areas."
January 27th 20 06:41 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
2 351
BT [Yahoo!] email down again by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/yahoo-bt-down-email-working-3287154 When oh when are BT going to dump these idiots - it was promised nearly ten years ago. Today any mail received between ~07:15 and 14:00 has just vanished into hyperspace, with little hope of recovering it. It doesn't show in Outlook, other devices nor even web mail :-( PS it hit lots of other ISP's...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 27th 20 08:58 AM
by Ray[_2_] Go to last post
68 1,960
London BB Outage (was: This ere large outage in London & BT [Yahoo!]email down again) by Java Jive
In uk.tech.digital-tv in subject "This ere large outage in London" on 20/12/2019 17:16, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote: It seems not only Virgin were affected, many other broadband suppliers, but not Sky, it seems have been off for nearly two days since the jcb cut the cable in New Malden. So is New Malden somehow some large data hub for many companies or are they all piggy backing on the...
January 23rd 20 10:22 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
2 548
openwrt 19.07 by Andy Burns[_5_]
Just upgraded HH5a to openwrt 19.07 it includes newer LTS kernel should supported until 2024, also newer Luci runs scripts client-side than on router, supposed to speed up GUI, but not very noticeable. After the upgrade, all working for VDSL/ethernet/wifi I reinstalled my "usual" modules required for 4G support, initially I forgot to reboot after installing them, and the GUI didn't...
January 23rd 20 09:30 AM
by Chris Bartram Go to last post
4 351
Plusnet dodgy Internet by tim...
For the past three weeks I have suffered continual episodes of "no internet" for several minutes at a time, but with access to my news server, so it's not the line that at fault. Are other people suffering from this? I lived with it over Christmas as I gave them the benefit of the doubt having people on holiday etc. But it's still happening.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 20th 20 01:25 PM
by Roderick Stewart Go to last post
44 1,210
DECT and FTTC, any known issues? by Chris Green
Following on from my posting in uk.telecom about our DECT phone problems (not detecting some calls and not always clearing down) it occurred to me that the only (fairly) recent change to our line was a switch from ADSL to FTTC. Are there any known problems likely to occur when using an FTTC line with DECT? Are filters more critical for example? Any other possibilities?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
January 8th 20 08:19 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
25 781
Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers by Java Jive
FWIW, I have recently sent the following open letter to all UK mobile suppliers except Three (because they already have a suitable plan available). If this or similar is an issue for others here, as it might well be, feel free to adapt the text of the following as a basis for your own complaint - remember to copy Ofcom and your local national and regional representatives: Copy: Ofcom ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 6th 20 10:50 PM
by Brian Gregory[_2_] Go to last post
30 1,315
3m homes have access to full-fibre broadband ... but 155,000 ruralhomes unable to get decent service by Java Jive
Three million homes have access to full-fibre broadband By Jane Wakefield Technology reporter 20 December 2019 Three million homes in the UK can now access full-fibre broadband, offering speeds of up to one gigabit per second. That's a sharp rise from this time last year when just 1.6 million households could get those speeds.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 23rd 19 04:59 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
14 681
Can I get a refund for very band landline/FTTC broadband? by Alfred[_2_]
I had a stable ADSL connection for long time at home. 1 year ago they enabled FTTC in the cabinet and I upgraded to FTTC, which at the beginning was working very well. I was getting 10/40Mbps as promised and the connection was stable. That stable FTTC connection lasted for 6 months. From June till now the connection has been very unstable. I can stay for hours without internet. I got the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 21st 19 11:14 PM
by Alfred[_2_] Go to last post
18 682
Oh dear - Openreach... by PeterC
Ordered FTTC on 14/12, Order passed to OR on 16/12. ISP said about 3 - 4 days, OR says 7/1. Well, so long as FTTP is being installed, who am I to complain - I've got 3mbps :-( , if it holds up at SNR of 6 and 3.5km to the exchange (and 25kV sparks 100m away). -- Peter. The gods will stay away whilst religions hold sway
December 21st 19 10:24 PM
by PeterC Go to last post
2 417
=?UTF-8?Q?Switching_broadband_provider_=27could_save_=c2 =a3120=27?= by Java Jive
Switching broadband provider 'could save 120' Haggling could save households 120 a year on broadband, but 45% of customers have not asked their current provider for a better deal, according to Which? The consumer group found that 78% of people who negotiated were offered an incentive, discount or a better deal." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50792986
December 18th 19 01:38 PM
by Ian King[_2_] Go to last post
8 9
Post New Thread