Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
BT (British Telecum) have the thickiest investors by 7[_2_]
BT (British Telecum) have the thickiest investors ------------------------------------------------- Japan has 97% full fibre. UK has 3% full fibre with symmetric 1 gbit - about 800,000 homes. A lot of it is rural. Something BT and Openroach don't know how to cable up with fibre. All of this fibre installed by other companies like B4RN
December 20th 17 08:29 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
8 156
Broadband over 'wet string' tested for fun by Java Jive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42338067 And they got a better speed over 2m than I get via copper over 6 miles.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 19th 17 10:01 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
17 228
VDSL router reccomendations... by Jim Jackson
Hi, I'm moving to FTTC and my new ISP has sent me a Technicolor TG588v v2 router. I'm a bit disappointed with it, and was wondering what people might recommend as a reasonably priced alternative. My old ADSL2 router, while pretty cheap (EdiMAX AR-7084A) and more configurable, i.e. was more flexible at port forwarding rules, and you had controls to restrict from where you could admin the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 19th 17 08:44 PM
by Bob Eager[_3_] Go to last post
15 213
Plusnet DNS settings tip by Tim+[_2_]
We've had Plusnet FTTC for over a year now and whilst things seem to stream okay, general web browsing has always progressed in fits and starts. It never seemed much (if any) better than when we had an ADSL connection. I read elsewhere about using Google's DNS servers so I thought I'd have a go at changing mine. Unfortunately my Technicolour router's DNS settings seem uneditable but from...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 18th 17 12:38 PM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
14 221
Plusnet Router and local networking problems by Clive Page
As I posted in an earlier post, out ADSL connection had been experiencing outages every few hours and sometimes very low speeds, so I've been in touch with Plusnet for nearly a month now trying to find the cause. They said there was a rather high noise level on the line. Calling out OpenReach to check the line might find that there was a physical cause, but if it was in our own house wiring...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 15th 17 11:27 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
82 515
$270 for 3km 4 core outdoor fibre to cable up Brex**** plc by David Woolley
On 10/12/17 23:06, Paul Cummins wrote: The results are usually better than 0.01db loss. Not possible... you cannot measure luminosity loss in dB. Of course you can. You can measure anything that is a dimensionless ratio in dB and dB are the preferred unit in this case. However, according to http://www.thefoa.org/tech/lossbudg.htm a more realistic splice loss is 0.3 dB, which is 30...
December 12th 17 01:03 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
4 149
BT Price increases Jan 18 by Ash Burton
Just had e-mail notification of BT's new year price increase for broadband/line rental and call packages. 2 per month increase on broadband/line rental to 21.99/month. Stiil not a bad deal tho'.
December 11th 17 09:53 PM
by bert Go to last post
5 181
$270 for 3km 4 core outdoor fibre to cable up Brex**** plc by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Sunday, 10 December 2017 23:06:48 UTC, Paul Cummins wrote: In article , (7) wrote: The results are usually better than 0.01db loss. Not possible... you cannot measure luminosity loss in dB. Well I suppose you could measure it in magnitude, but dB seems sensible to me.
December 11th 17 01:50 PM
by Tony Dragon Go to last post
1 124
BBC News: Hotel's shock at 80,000 superfast broadband quote by MB[_2_]
On the BBC News website, the hotel seems to want BT or other broadband users to subsidise his hotel. I don't see any mention of other broadband suppliers rushing to connect them for a lower price, it is always BT that gets blamed. Perhaps Mr. 7 can connect them via fibre.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
December 5th 17 11:11 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
24 332
Upgrade to plusnet fibre - router question by chris
I've been offered an interesting deal to move to fibre from ADSL - essentially it's cheaper than I'm paying now. I currently have a TP-link archer router, which I'd like to keep. I realise the router part is incompatible with VDSL, but can I piggyback the TP-link onto the plusnet VDSL router and keep using it?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
December 4th 17 09:09 AM
by Woody Go to last post
21 309
Maximum upload and download speeds on FTTC by Chris Green
We are in the happy position of being fairly close to a new FTTC cabinet even though we're out in the wilds of rural suffolk. Currently I'm on the 'standard' PlusNet fibre deal which gives me 40Mb/s download and (recently upraded by PlusNet, for free) 10Mb/s upload. My router confirms we really get these connection speeds and says the 'maximum' possible is a *lot* better:-
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 4th 17 12:48 AM
by Chris Green Go to last post
12 243
Possible Plusnet congestion problem - one for Bob Pullen? by Graham J[_2_]
My neighbour has a Plusnet connection, with a static IP address. Since exactly midday yesterday (23/11/17) ping responses from his public IP have been intermittently poor - I see maybe 20 good replies then several seconds with one or two replies missing. I use F8Lure to monitor the reliability of his connection. It shows failures rather like the example...
November 30th 17 03:54 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
4 234
Strange BT broadband pricing by Andrew[_2_]
My latest BT bill shows broadband and line rental charged at 35.99 after many years of separate line rental and bband charges and various discount, all of which have now vanished. They have been nagging me with free infinity activation for ages so out of interest I had a look at what their so-called offers are :- cost type speed limit cloud 35.99 (now) adsl2+ ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 27th 17 09:02 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
31 537
Offcum BT lose 1 billion Black Friday sales for retailers by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Sunday, 26 November 2017 00:15:26 UTC, 7 wrote: R. Mark Clayton wrote: R. Mark Clayton wrote: Offcum BT lose 1 billion Black Friday sales for retailers ================================= ---------------------------------------------------------
November 27th 17 02:16 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
0 184
Pusnet et al must include line rental when advertising by 7[_2_]
Pusnet et al must include line rental when advertising ----------------------------------------------------- https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/asa-forces-uk-business-isps-include-line-rental-costs-broadband.html Quuaaaackkkhhh....!!! So how many *fscking* customers have been robbed of a fair deal from buying pure fibre by krone tool master baiting telecum trolls hiding line rental...
November 15th 17 10:01 PM
by tim... Go to last post
3 257
Are fibre connections any more reliable? by Clive Page
we've been with Plusnet for several years and until recently the service has been quite good. But in the last fortnight we've had 24 hours with a download speed of about a tenth of the usual, and since then numerous outages lasting a minute or two. My attempt to get through to Plusnet via their Chat system crashed out after I had been in a queue for over 30 minutes. I've now submitted a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 14th 17 12:23 PM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
55 593
Ofcom plans instant payback for broadband woes by Java Jive
"Customers would be entitled to automatic compensation, without having to go through a potentially lengthy and difficult claims process," the regulator said. They would receive either a cash payment or a credit on their bill, with the level of payments set by Ofcom. The proposed scale of charges would be: 10 for each calendar day that the service is not repaired
November 13th 17 09:47 PM
by bert Go to last post
2 354
Hyperoptic done over by ASA by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7846-back-to-drawing-board-for-hyperoptic-as-circular-banned Who would have thought it?
October 27th 17 11:16 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
5 285
Arduino SMTP2GO and BT by Peter Andrews[_2_]
I'm using an Arduino to monitor an alarm and sending an email using SMTP2GO when an alarm occurs. All works perfectly when connected to VM (cable) broadband but fails to connect when using a BT broadband connection and I've tried two! Any ideas? Peter --- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. http://www.avg.com
October 27th 17 10:29 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
4 240
FTTP: New Build Home by Mark Carver
Went with my lad today to look at a new build flat for him. To my amazement it had a BT FTTP install, complete with powered up terminal equipment. So, if he buys the place, and moves in, what are his options ? From Googling it seems that only a handful of ISPs offer a service. He'll want unlimited usage, but I assume a 330 meg service will have a
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 17th 17 11:56 PM
by Bob Eager[_3_] Go to last post
48 780