Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vigor 2860 firmware versions by Graham J[_3_]
I have a Vigor V2860 which I use on a VDSL service. The currently recommended firmware is v2860_3894_BT, but this drops the line about 3 times per day, at random. The FTTC cabinet is almost exactly a kilometre away, and the router reports download speed at 28Mbits/sec, 3dB SNR margin, and 27dB attenuation; which is consistent with the kilometer distance. The SNR margin varies between 4dB...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
April 2nd 19 01:26 PM
by Bob Eager[_5_] Go to last post
16 513
Automatic compensation by Roderick Stewart
From the BBC website- "Five UK broadband and landline providers will now automatically compensate customers when services do not work. From Monday, customers who experience delayed repairs, installations or missed engineer appointments will be compensated, without having to ask. BT, Sky, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and Zen Internet have joined Ofcom's
April 1st 19 02:27 PM
by Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd Go to last post
2 302
Help with Outloom mail by Woody
For reasons that do not matter I have opened an account for my wife to use at outlook.com However there is a problem with it in that mails do not seem to be arriving. I can send from her account to any of our email existing accounts and they arrive almost immediately. However if I use any of our accounts to send a mail to the outlook account only the odd one arrives. I originally had the...
March 25th 19 01:26 PM
by www.GymRatZ.co.uk Go to last post
7 420
Power for a VDSL modem/router. by PeterC
I've been trying to find out the runnining and standby(?) power of a modem/router for fibre. All the sites show idiotic figures, e.g. 240V or, for a wall wart, 12V 25W. My current ADSL one is about 2W when the PC is off - I can't remember what it is withe PC, TV & PVR on. Wireless is off, BTW. -- Peter. The gods will stay away whilst religions hold sway
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
March 20th 19 04:06 PM
by Richard Tobin Go to last post
20 739
P2MP at 5GHz by Woody
I have need to feed a common broadband presentation to three remote locations (all within about 300m). One location will connect to a wireless access point, the other two will be cable terminated. For various reasons it is not possible to run cables over or under ground. I have been looking at pole-mounted outdoor 5GHz units that can be configured to work as access points or as links - for...
March 15th 19 09:49 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
7 350
Hacking the BT Home Hub 5a (was Routers) by Java Jive
I've now acquired a second of these and successfully hacked it also, as a backup for the first. Given that the original thread got very long and convoluted, I thought I'd try and summarise in one, albeit long, post how to hack successfully a BT Home Hub 5a (BTHH5a), put an OpenWRT image on it, get a Huawei E3372s working with it, and add a public WiFi network. A) Physical Stage Requires:
March 10th 19 05:06 PM
by Graham J[_3_] Go to last post
6 499
Plusnet router - carry-over of configured settings from previous PN router by NY
Plusnet have sent me a new PN-branded Hub One to replace the PN Technicolour TG582 router, to see if it achieves a higher DSL speed (actually there's no discernable difference in atten/margin/power/sync speed, but it was worth a try). On the old router I'd set up various reserved IP addresses for computers/printer that I needed to refer to by a static address. I'm intrigued that the new...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 6th 19 04:53 PM
by Graham J[_3_] Go to last post
10 471
What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less than router's sync speed? by NY
Our router used to report a sync speed of around 1.5-2 Mbps down and 0.4 up. Speedtest achieved speeds of somewhere between 0.8 and 1.8 Mbps, depending on time of day (contention?). Then our line experienced a total loss of phone (no dialling tone etc) which has now been fixed and was due to an underground cable fault, according to the BT OR engineer who phoned to say "fault has been...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
March 5th 19 01:55 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
23 600
Yahoo Group invitation by Davey
I have been invited to join a Yahoo Group, which would be convenient, but when I looked at the T&Cs, I found them horrifying. One paragraph seems to sum up their whole ethos: " When you use or interact with any of our Services, you consent to the data processing, sharing, transferring and usage of your information as outlined in this Privacy Policy. Regardless of the country where you reside,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
March 4th 19 09:38 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
12 483
Routers by Java Jive
Following on from a current thread in uk.telecom.broadband entitled "How do most people manage IP addresses on their LAN?", which mentioned DrayTek routers quite a lot, and another in which I mentioned that I'd just managed to acquire a Virgin Data SIM with unlimited downloads for a really good price per month ... I now find that my DrayTek Vigor 2830n has lost its WiFi. I am familiar with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 28th 19 06:44 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
72 1,364
things Eurostar does that the rest of UK rail finds impossible by Tweed[_2_]
This on the new stock: Toilet doors with mechanical locks - even the disabled ones. Coach doors that open the second the train arrives in the station. None of this faffing around waiting for the door buttons to be enabled. No endless safety announcements.
February 25th 19 06:19 PM
by Tweed[_2_] Go to last post
1 258
FFTX upgrade? - poor daffodils by Martin Brown[_2_]
Against all the odds Hell seems to have possibly frozen over! My tiny village is apparently getting a full fibre upgrade! (there are all of a dozen houses in it). This is more than a bit surprising to me. The first I knew of it was traffic lights blocking my drive and a man in dayglo banging on the front door asking me to move my daffodils as I was about to leave for work in Newcastle (fat...
February 23rd 19 10:16 PM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
3 301
TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses by Abandoned Trolley
hi there If there's anybody out there using the TalkTalk business service on VDSL with MORE THAN ONE static IP address, then I would be interested to hear from you if you have managed to separate them in any way using the supplied "super" router - which appears to be a Huawei HG635 with custom firmware. Alternatively, if you fancy having a rant about TalkTalk, Huawei or Openreach, or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
February 22nd 19 07:51 PM
by Johann Beretta[_2_] Go to last post
25 784
How do most people manage IP addresses on their LAN? by Chris Green
As mentioned in another thread I'm having problems managing DNS on my LAN. This is more of a rant than a question but I'd still quite like to know how other people manage things. I have Plusnet FTTC (irrelevant to the current issue) and a Draytek 2860n router connecting our NAT'ed LAN to it. There are quite a few 'things' which I need to connect to at times on the LAN:- Desktop PC ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 22nd 19 01:39 PM
by Mark Go to last post
67 1,166
Any advantage in using private ranges other than 192.168.x.x in NAT router? by Chris Green
Is there any advantage to be gained security-wise in using a 'non-standard' private IP range in a NAT router. E.g. either 172.16.x.x or 10.x.x.x. I suspect not but I suppose there might be some gain in the 'security by obscurity' direction. .... any other advantages, except the obvious one of bigger sub-nets if you happen to need them? -- Chris Green
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 17th 19 06:30 AM
by Paul Cummins Go to last post
48 956
Another "router" question by AnthonyL
I want a local wireless lan on Win 7 without a router to run a test webserver and allow access via a smartphone. Thus far I've discovered XAMPP which runs a a local web server quite nicely but I have not found a way of getting IP address to the smartphones without an external router. Searching for DHCP Windows of course brings up loads of how to connect to a DHCP server but not how to make your...
February 11th 19 04:16 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
4 287
Providing Fibre Broadband in areas with Exchange Only Lines by Rab C[_2_]
I asked some of these questions in another group (Demon Service) but realised the topic would probably be better discussed here, so apologies to anyone who has already replied elsewhere. In terms of providing new fibre broadband in rural areas served by Exchange Only (EO) lines, how is this actually done in regard to the infrastructure? Are two networks provided side-by-side: copper and...
February 7th 19 08:23 PM
by Mike Humphrey Go to last post
9 395
Draytek Vigor 2860 and IPv6 by Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
There seem to be a few people here using Draytek routers, anyone with IPv6? The Vigor 2860 router is quite happy with outgoing IPv6 over VDSL, but incoming seems rather more complicated. The network uses DHCP6 addresses for outgoing connections, but the servers also have static addresses from my /64 range. For IPv4 I have port redirection set-up for my small subnet redirecting certain WAN...
February 7th 19 06:33 PM
by Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd Go to last post
6 324
Milton Abbas by Java Jive
Copying this to uk.telecom.broadband and uk.telecom.mobile ... On 03/02/2019 14:19, Bill Wright wrote: On 03/02/2019 11:42, Woody wrote: Did you not notice an earlier comment that the villagers are opposing erection of a phone mast to improve cover locally? Yes, they must be crackers.
February 6th 19 04:47 PM
by Kellerman[_2_] Go to last post
2 356
Proposed Sky speed upgrade by MissRiaElaine[_2_]
In October last year, we had a letter from Sky saying that our speed would be upgraded from its current 40 MB/s (ish) to an "average" of 63 MB/s. It was claimed this would take place sometime between December and "the Spring", whichever day of the year that might be. So far nothing has happened, has anyone else had this letter, and have your speed been increased yet..? If so how have you...
February 4th 19 08:43 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
0 257
Post New Thread