Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Milton Abbas by Java Jive
Copying this to uk.telecom.broadband and uk.telecom.mobile ... On 03/02/2019 14:19, Bill Wright wrote: On 03/02/2019 11:42, Woody wrote: Did you not notice an earlier comment that the villagers are opposing erection of a phone mast to improve cover locally? Yes, they must be crackers.
February 6th 19 04:47 PM
by Kellerman[_2_] Go to last post
2 308
Proposed Sky speed upgrade by MissRiaElaine[_2_]
In October last year, we had a letter from Sky saying that our speed would be upgraded from its current 40 MB/s (ish) to an "average" of 63 MB/s. It was claimed this would take place sometime between December and "the Spring", whichever day of the year that might be. So far nothing has happened, has anyone else had this letter, and have your speed been increased yet..? If so how have you...
February 4th 19 08:43 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
0 227
Is Google down ? by David
Are Google and some other sites down? Not all internet is down for me. Regards David
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 29th 19 03:03 PM
by Apd Go to last post
30 2,022
BT Broadband speed with HH6 (Smarthub). by brightside
From Monday this week PC experienced very sluggish responses when browsing. Responses seemed normal (browsing didn't seem any slower for the first five minutes, then the browsing progessively goes slower and slower. Reboot (power off / on) HH6 and the same happens again. (PC connected via wireless n). Run BT wholesale speed test and it returns 31 Meg on a line with a 32.33 Meg max (so says...
January 21st 19 07:46 PM
by Dick Go to last post
5 281
Differing speed testing results by Malcolm Loades[_2_]
I've always used speedtest.net and until a week or so ago my pings were always 7-9ms, mid 60s download and around 18-19 upload. This with a VF 75Mbps service. Two weeks ago speedtest.net started reporting pings in the 20s, downloads +/-15 but uploads only marginally reduced to 17. I've probably done around 20 tests in the past week at varying times but all results are in this frame. VF...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
January 16th 19 03:21 PM
by Malcolm Loades[_2_] Go to last post
23 548
regain control of a bigfoot inbox by [email protected]
I've recently had my bigfoot inbox hacked and blackmail demands made by the hacker. They've told me they have access to files and folders on my desktop and could easily lock my computer so I'd have no access. Can anybody help me "regain control of the or close" the lifetime email address, so as to stop them using the email address?
January 15th 19 06:23 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 734
viable to use 4G instead of fixed line? by Tweed[_2_]
If you live in an area with poor DSL speeds, and no access to Virgin cable, and you have a decent 4G signal from Three it might now be viable to use them for your domestic broadband. It seems Ofcom have stopped them from preventing you from putting phone tariff sims in mifi type devices...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 7th 19 10:00 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
115 1,323
Half of UK homes could get faster broadband by Java Jive
"One in seven homes could be paying more than they need to for broadband and could get faster services for the same or less money, Ofcom has said. New research suggests that half of UK homes have not taken up faster services even though they are available. Ofcom has launched a campaign dubbed Boost Your Broadband to let people know about what options are available. It follows years of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 3rd 19 11:47 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
13 522
ADSL BB suddenly stopped -pair pinching?? UK by kinshasa
I have ADSL BB from a UK provider. The line has always been great ,no noise and good speeds. Recently i found that it had suddenly stopped dead. The phone service still worked and there was no line noise etc. After some delays whilst the ISP did some troubleshooting they sent a job to openreach. OR Engineer attended,did all tests and confirmed there was no longer an ADSL service on the line. He...
January 1st 19 10:35 AM
by kinshasa Go to last post
0 274
Ofcom report says 4G mobile coverage patchy in Scotland by Java Jive
"Mobile phone coverage in Scotland lags behind other parts of the UK, according to the communications regulator. A report from Ofcom indicates that only 38% of the landmass has good 4G coverage from all operators - while 82% of England is covered." .... also ... "4% of premises in Scotland still cannot access a decent fixed broadband service"
December 20th 18 12:16 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
5 327
Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries by Java Jive
Note the slovenly misdescription in the title and throughout the article, for 'WiFi' read 'landline'. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46346172 "Speed tests in 80 countries revealed wi-fi was left lagging in 33 nations, according to wireless coverage mapping company OpenSignal. Mobile data should also get a further speed boost when 5G networks arrived, it said.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 15th 18 12:58 PM
by grinch Go to last post
206 1,550
Streets with UK's slowest and fastest broadband named by Java Jive
"A village street in Bamfurlong, Gloucestershire, has been named as the slowest for broadband internet, according to an annual survey. The study said homes on Greenmeadows Park averaged just 0.14 megabits per second (Mbps). The fastest spot, by contrast, is said to offer speeds that are nearly 1,900 times faster. It was named as Abdon Avenue in Birmingham, where the average speed was
December 12th 18 01:25 PM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
1 324
"Broadband customers to get automatic compensation" by Java Jive
"Many customers who experience fixed broadband or landline loss will soon automatically receive compensation. The 8-per-day deal follows a new agreement between Openreach and five of the UK's internet service providers. It will apply only when the fault takes longer than two days to fix. If an engineer does not arrive on schedule, or cancels within 24 hours, the compensation will be 25....
December 12th 18 01:02 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
0 280
SOT - by Java Jive
"RBS customer lost thousands of pounds in scam .... This is how the fraud on Charlotte was carried out: Bank records show the fraudster initially calls the bank, posing as Charlotte, and asks for her account to be reset for security reasons. Staff follow the bank's usual security protocol and call Charlotte's landline number, unaware the call has been diverted to a mobile phone
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 10th 18 04:43 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
235 1,656
Is 7 really Carl Beech? by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
In court this week.
December 7th 18 09:12 PM
by Andy Burns[_5_] Go to last post
4 314
Fibre installer goes bust by grinch
On 02/12/2018 13:50, R. Mark Clayton wrote: On Saturday, 1 December 2018 23:18:07 UTC, +++ATH0 wrote: On 2018-11-27 12:59, I wrote: Fiber engineers are like gold dust now. ITYM technicians. Monkeys pulling fibres through ducts are not engineers. It was ferrets, not monkeys, but these days they blow fibres usually.
December 4th 18 10:50 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
1 310
ADSL over FTTP by Theo[_2_]
I'm trying to figure out what is available on a FTTP line. It's an almost-new-build property which currently has BT FTTP. Magsys Codelook says for the postcode: "FTTC Available from 11th January 2017, being expanded by March 2019, FTTP from 25th July 2016, FTTP on Demand." However the address doesn't show on some checkers and the phone number isn't recognised. Confusingly, around the corner...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
November 27th 18 09:04 PM
by grinch Go to last post
20 870
WiFi conundrum - what's this MAC address from? by Chris Green
I have a Draytek 2860n as my main (VDSL) router and an old 2820n being used as a wireless access point to extend coverage as we have a large house. The 2820n has its WANs turned off and has a wired connection from its LAN side to the 2860n LAN. It's all running on the usual 192.168.1.x LAN subnet. I have the 2860n set to use channel 11 for WiFi and the 2820n is set to use channel 6 (there...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
November 23rd 18 10:44 AM
by MB[_2_] Go to last post
17 636
Extending FTTC from a master socket by Vir Campestris
Colleague of mine has just bought his first house. The master socket is in a stupid place - what's the best kind of cable to run from there to where his router will be? He'd like to keep the 80Mbps he gets from the cab across the road. (Cable fatness is not an issue. The first job was to strip a load of walls back to get rid of the asbestos-ridden plaster - done by pros in suits. Complete...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 20th 18 08:20 AM
by Graham J[_2_] Go to last post
44 1,823
5G will let users ditch fixed-line home broadband, says Three by Java Jive
5G hyping getting into its stride ... "5G will let users ditch fixed-line home broadband, says Three" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46127712 Actually, out here in northern Scotland, 4G could already make my landline redundant if only there was a suitably priced plan that gave me unlimited or nearly so download limits, but AFAIAA there isn't.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 19th 18 04:20 PM
by MissRiaElaine[_2_] Go to last post
54 1,263