Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Virgin Media fault in Scotland by MB[_2_]
The Daily Record is reporting that Virgin Media had a widespread fault around Glasgow yesterday. 18:39, 9 JAN 2018 Broadband blackout for Scots Virgin Media customers as firm confirm fault Services in Glasgow and surrounding areas have been affected by faults from around 5pm tonight.
January 10th 18 09:57 AM
by MB[_2_] Go to last post
0 174
How much does it cost to fibre up Brex****ting UK plc? by 7[_2_]
How much does it cost to fibre up Brex****ting UK plc? ------------------------------------------------------ Assume we giving up on Openroch double blow job installation technique that costs between 500 to 800 per install, and assumuming BT's (British Telecum's) 33,000 openroach engineers cannot be retrained by brexit time to install fibre like everyone else, and they install empty tube and...
January 9th 18 03:14 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
3 181
For dedicated fans of broadband speed checkers ... by Adrian Caspersz
by SamKnows, includes a latency figure ... http://www.broadbandperformance.co.uk/ As was promoted by BBC Watchdog during their usually flawed investigations, but seems a clear tool nonetheless and is free of adverts and other nonsense. -- Adrian C
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
January 5th 18 12:00 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
27 852
PhoneCoop broadband ... by Jim Jackson
I've just moved to phonecoop FTTC broadband. I've just done a whois on the fixed IP address I get is it appears to be owned by TalkTalk. I've done the same for things like IP address at other end of PPPoE connection and first router in traceroutes and stuff and it's all TalkTalk. Anybody know which which bits of the talktalk infastructure they are using? I suspose it's some sort of wholesale...
January 4th 18 03:30 PM
by Jim Jackson Go to last post
4 193
Packet loss seems to have increased, how to diagnose? by [email protected]
My son and I both felt recently that "the internet seemed a bit slow". I finally took a harder look at things just now and we seem to be getting rather more packet loss than seems reasonable, typical is this sort of ping response:- chris$ ping cheddar.halon.org.uk PING cheddar.halon.org.uk (217.10.144.130) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from cheddar.halon.org.uk (217.10.144.130):...
January 4th 18 11:13 AM
by Chris Green Go to last post
6 756
BT Openroach double blow jobs holding up UK productivity by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Thursday, 28 December 2017 19:58:23 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote: On 28/12/2017 17:58, R. Mark Clayton wrote: On Thursday, 28 December 2017 11:46:33 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote: On 27/12/2017 13:19, R. Mark Clayton wrote: So what would a residential subscriber use FTTH/P for that they can't get / do with FTTC at 50 - 100Mbps? Do tell. Live at the wrong end of a long thin...
January 2nd 18 10:57 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
8 187
Hyperoptic rubbish? by Bob Eager[_3_]
Is this company the one run by the school brat? From a friend: "I've just spent the past few hours setting up a VPN server to find I can't do it because Hyperoptic has an IP per 8 houses meaning effectively a dual NAT. This is madness!"
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 2nd 18 10:25 PM
by grinch Go to last post
15 295
Remotely operated cabinets needed if Internet is a Right by 7[_2_]
Remotely operated cabinets needed if Internet is a Right -------------------------------------------------------- BT (British Telecum) have been told to fsck off in no uncertain terms when it comes to promising internet for everyone when it can't even deliver fibre services at $14 per 1gbit fibre modem and connect it up to the UK fibre infrastructure, and instead they spend 20x the money...
January 2nd 18 04:24 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
0 182
No copper infrastruture in UK so why is G.Slow being rolled out by BT (British by Paul Cummins
In article , (7) wrote: 800,000 homes already fitted with this ultra cheap fibre technology by B4RN, A cooperative Hyperoptic,
January 1st 18 04:02 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
2 160
No copper infrastructure in UK so why is BT (British Telecum) Openroach installing 10mbit copper? by 7[_2_]
No copper infrastructure in UK so why is BT (British Telecum) Openroach installing 10mbit copper? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- There is no physical infrastructure in UK for copper 10mbit services. But BT (British Telecum) shiite investors, Pusnet, Openroach, Ski, Offcum et al, all valued share holders in BT shiite for investor...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 31st 17 11:02 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
30 436
Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router by Geoff Clare
I received a call from an Indian gentleman claiming to be from "BT" and saying that there had been a problem at the exchange which caused some damage to the line supplying my internet service. He said they needed to work on it and asked me to turn off my router. Obviously nonsense since I have FTTC so the "line supplying my internet service" only goes as far as the cabinet up the road, but I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 23rd 17 02:35 PM
by MissRiaElaine Go to last post
34 440
Million Britons miss out on 'decent' broadband speeds by Java Jive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42367202 "The UK's digital divide has narrowed but more than one million homes and offices still struggle to get good broadband, says an Ofcom report." Tell me about it :-(
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 22nd 17 07:59 PM
by Java Jive Go to last post
30 412
BT (British Telecum) have the thickiest investors by 7[_2_]
BT (British Telecum) have the thickiest investors ------------------------------------------------- Japan has 97% full fibre. UK has 3% full fibre with symmetric 1 gbit - about 800,000 homes. A lot of it is rural. Something BT and Openroach don't know how to cable up with fibre. All of this fibre installed by other companies like B4RN
December 20th 17 07:29 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
8 190
Broadband over 'wet string' tested for fun by Java Jive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42338067 And they got a better speed over 2m than I get via copper over 6 miles.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 19th 17 09:01 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
17 270
VDSL router reccomendations... by Jim Jackson
Hi, I'm moving to FTTC and my new ISP has sent me a Technicolor TG588v v2 router. I'm a bit disappointed with it, and was wondering what people might recommend as a reasonably priced alternative. My old ADSL2 router, while pretty cheap (EdiMAX AR-7084A) and more configurable, i.e. was more flexible at port forwarding rules, and you had controls to restrict from where you could admin the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 19th 17 07:44 PM
by Bob Eager[_3_] Go to last post
15 260
Plusnet DNS settings tip by Tim+[_2_]
We've had Plusnet FTTC for over a year now and whilst things seem to stream okay, general web browsing has always progressed in fits and starts. It never seemed much (if any) better than when we had an ADSL connection. I read elsewhere about using Google's DNS servers so I thought I'd have a go at changing mine. Unfortunately my Technicolour router's DNS settings seem uneditable but from...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 18th 17 11:38 AM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
14 265
Plusnet Router and local networking problems by Clive Page
As I posted in an earlier post, out ADSL connection had been experiencing outages every few hours and sometimes very low speeds, so I've been in touch with Plusnet for nearly a month now trying to find the cause. They said there was a rather high noise level on the line. Calling out OpenReach to check the line might find that there was a physical cause, but if it was in our own house wiring...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 15th 17 10:27 AM
by Martin Brown[_2_] Go to last post
82 652
$270 for 3km 4 core outdoor fibre to cable up Brex**** plc by David Woolley
On 10/12/17 23:06, Paul Cummins wrote: The results are usually better than 0.01db loss. Not possible... you cannot measure luminosity loss in dB. Of course you can. You can measure anything that is a dimensionless ratio in dB and dB are the preferred unit in this case. However, according to http://www.thefoa.org/tech/lossbudg.htm a more realistic splice loss is 0.3 dB, which is 30...
December 12th 17 12:03 PM
by 7[_2_] Go to last post
4 181
BT Price increases Jan 18 by Ash Burton
Just had e-mail notification of BT's new year price increase for broadband/line rental and call packages. 2 per month increase on broadband/line rental to 21.99/month. Stiil not a bad deal tho'.
December 11th 17 08:53 PM
by bert Go to last post
5 231
$270 for 3km 4 core outdoor fibre to cable up Brex**** plc by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Sunday, 10 December 2017 23:06:48 UTC, Paul Cummins wrote: In article , (7) wrote: The results are usually better than 0.01db loss. Not possible... you cannot measure luminosity loss in dB. Well I suppose you could measure it in magnitude, but dB seems sensible to me.
December 11th 17 12:50 PM
by Tony Dragon Go to last post
1 157
Post New Thread