Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Wireless point to point link for broadband by Chris
I am too far away from my local exchange to get ADSL but I have found a willing partner who can get broadband and have been looking at the options to link to his service via a wireless link. We have direct line of sight with a distance of 1.5Km. I am looking at Netgear Antenna for the purpose. One snag I have hit is that the line of sight goes straight through national grid high voltage...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 24th 05 12:52 AM
by Martin² Go to last post
11 955
whats best by Ken Walsh
What do you think of this broadband offer at:- www.bestbroadbanddeal.info At the moment I`m with Btopenworld anytime (normal dial-up) deal at £15.99 + a free satellite broadband connection 512kb speed (download only) This is via a works account (I pay the BTOpenworld & get the sat` account free)
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 23rd 05 11:03 PM
by Rupert Go to last post
18 1,106
Broadband Recommendation Pls by Eddie
Just junking my telewest line fomr BT so I can get broadband - any recommendations _I'm not going to be into downloading films etc so price is well up the list
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 23rd 05 07:28 PM
by Ken Walsh Go to last post
10 534
Plusnet Problems by J B
I've tried the 'ticket' system, but I'm getting nowhere. :-(( Thursday - BT Engineer removed highway, and enabled BB, said it would probably work at 1MB, but there was a problem with testing Marconi equipment (Is our exchange Marconi?) Friday - Sooty came and 'set me up' with a D Link router. The D link said it was running 64K up and 128K down. That's slow! Rang plusnet, and they said do a...
June 23rd 05 03:51 PM
by PlusNet Support Team Go to last post
7 1,016
Wish I could help this poor woman by Techy Man
Hi Guys, If you know anything about the Crown CDV0127 DVD Player then let me know so I can help her out! http://www.dvdhacks.co.uk/forum/message.asp?id3=6360 Techy
June 23rd 05 03:26 PM
by Tiscali Tim Go to last post
1 288
2wire 1800hg by spanna
If you open up your web browser and type "gateway.2wire.net" withou the "" does it take you to the 2wire menu -- spanna
June 23rd 05 03:01 PM
by spanna Go to last post
0 354
2wire 1800hg by spanna
Thanks -Thats made me a bit more hopeful than I had been I expected to have to do that part anywa -- spanna
June 23rd 05 02:54 PM
by Leper Messiah Go to last post
1 364
BT adsl dropping out - doubler vs splitter and problems with sky box? by [email protected]
got a problem with my BT broadband, and just had a slightly confusing phonecall to their technical support people about it. any tips on this most welcome. got a Netgear wireless router connected to an extension (BT fitted, not DIY) upstairs, and a phone & Sky box connected downstairs to master socket. both extensions have microfilters. 90% of the time my bb is fine, but every couple of days...
June 23rd 05 02:42 PM
by It's Me Go to last post
2 315
Wireless broadband help by kevin
I currently have BT Broadband (which I have had since the earl broadband trials) using a USB Alcatel modem (the frog!) and a bi socket on the wall which a BT engineer replaced my telephone maste socket with (one lead for the phone, one for adsl). The main computer is networked (wired), and the other 2 computer connect to the internet through the main one. I now wish to go wireless and have...
June 23rd 05 02:35 PM
by Happy Hunter Go to last post
3 312
Plusnet line move woes. by pete devlin
I put a mate on plus net a while ago and all has been fine. Until he moved house that is. We did the online number move page but for some reason it kept defaulting back to his original number after the submit instead of the new number. A phone call to support ensured they had the correct number. Just as well because it was recording the wrong number!! Then we find out that the previous...
June 23rd 05 11:47 AM
by PlusNet Support Team Go to last post
6 531
Turned down for ADSL... by Jack Hump'er
.....despite just ending a previous ADSL contract!! Had 512 ADSL with Pipex, but cancelled due to improved offers elsewhere (this was days before Pipex's new pricing structure). Decided to go back with them, based on their new prices but have just received an e-mail stating that my line is unsuitable for ANY ADSL!!! So what WAS it I was connected to for the last 2 years with no problems...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 23rd 05 02:13 AM
by atoa27 Go to last post
10 478
Switching ISP by Mike
Hi, after many years with ClaraNet (dial-up, ISDN and now Broadband) connections, I am moving to a new provider. I've always been very happy with ClaraNet's service, even though they are more expensive than many other ISPs. However, I wish to upgrade from a 512k to a 2mb connection and their 2mb charges are simply stupid. They also want to charge me 50 pounds to upgrade, so I am leaving and...
June 23rd 05 01:42 AM
by Martin² Go to last post
5 607
My SNR is dropping - what do I do? by Dave
Hello, When I bought my router about 3 months ago, my SNR was 13dB downstream 18dB upstream. Now, it's 10dB downstream and 16dB upstream. I suspect it will continue dropping. Should I moan at Pipex now or do I have to wait until the connection stops working? Cheers. Dave.
June 23rd 05 12:07 AM
by Ian Stirling Go to last post
5 389
minimal set of outgoing ports by Shez
I want to tighten up our office ADSL router's rules on outgoing traffic to reduce the risk from malware. The question is, what ports are essential for a basic office LAN web/email setup? These are the outgoing ports it looks like I need: smtp 25 tcp pop3 110 tcp ftp 20-21 tcp (for downloading only, not serving) dns 53 tcp+udp
June 23rd 05 12:04 AM
by Ian Stirling Go to last post
4 558
Distance from exchange by Mike
Hi again - I've just learned that my house is 962 metres from my exchange. In the scheme of things, how good/bad is this for a 2mb connection? Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 22nd 05 10:10 PM
by Stephen Stewart Go to last post
10 488
BT refuse to try 256k by Trevor Morris
On June 13 I asked if anyone had tried a 256kb/s ADSL service on a long line where 512k was marginal. Noone had, though I got some useful advice. We are about 10 km by road from the exchange, and the 512kb/s service from Zen initially worked for several hours at a time. However, when BT provided a filtered faceplate, ADSL syncing became even less reliable, and my dial-up speed went down...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 22nd 05 08:24 PM
by Stevie Boy Go to last post
15 682
2Mb Broadband by Gareth :-\\\) voom
I have just had my new broadband account activated. I have gone for a 2Mb package but have noticed that I am only getting 1Mb. I have been looking around the internet and came across a site which tells me I am 214 meteres from my exchange. Does this mean I am too far away from the exchange to get 2Mb?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 22nd 05 07:02 PM
by Peter Go to last post
15 493
Increasing ADSL line speed.. possible? by John Carlyle-Clarke
Hi- I have a Plusnet "up to 2Mb/s" ADSL package. ADSL has just become available where I live, and we are a long way from the exchange, so I didn't expect 2Mb/s! According to RAC site, it's a 6.5km drive, and since the phone lines usually follow the road, that's probably the line length too. I'm getting a reported speed of 576Mb/s from the modem, and the speed test at adslguide gives much...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 22nd 05 05:04 PM
by etillet Go to last post
20 885
Typical transfer rate for 2 Mbps ADSL by Martin Underwood
What sort of transfer rate would you expect from a 2 Mbps ADSL line? I was downloading a lot of drivers from various sites (eg HP's) on a customer's 2 Mbps AOL line through a Netgear router (cable connection from router to PC) and I was interested to see that the transfer rate as shown by Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) was absolutely rock steady at 0.5% of 100 Mbps - in other words,...
June 22nd 05 04:54 PM
by Spack Go to last post
3 360
Keeping BT e-mail addresses after moving ADSL provider by AJH
I want to move from BT Yahoo Broadband (cos' it's too dear) to either PlusNet or maybe a Onetel calls/internet bundle. However, I want to keep my ...btopenworld.com e-mail addresses for a little while afterwards, while I tell everyone my new one. I plan to downgrade my BT account to a PAYG dial-up and have the new ISP take over the broadband, but... Will BT go for this? Has anyone else done it?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 22nd 05 03:22 PM
by Peter M Go to last post
10 589