Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Woo! 1mb, 11km line. by [email protected]
No mains water or electricity (and Screwfix/Lynx have lost the dedicated DC-AC inverter I ordered to power the router 24/7)... but 1mb broadband! Over 11km from the exchange, now syncing at 1152000, a second or two after the router initialises (as quick as 512) and the connection hadn't dropped for 12 hours after the regrade (must have been around 3 am this morning), before I rebooted. Appears...
June 12th 05 12:59 AM
by Muxton Go to last post
8 291
Is 512kb more stable? by simon
I've just read this on the Zen board at ADSL Guide: "Some premises have more RF noise (interference) than others. Where this is a problem, the usual answer is a filtered placeplate with a short Cat5 cable to a nearby router, so the RF interference pickup is minimised. Lots of people haven't seen any adverse effects from this in the past because 512k is remarkably tolerant of poor signal...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 11th 05 08:35 PM
by J B Go to last post
11 455
Line still syncs after cancellation by JA Paul
I cancelled adsl on a line a few weeks ago but the router still syncs with the line. No connection is possible but obviously the line is still enabled. Do BT just leave the line in this state or does it revert to a normal analogue line later. If it is left as it is do filters need to be left in place? --
June 11th 05 07:54 PM
by Ian Stirling Go to last post
1 225
DSL jargon by Clive
Just moved from a 2mb Telewest Cable connection to 2mb(upgradeable to 4mb) ADSL with Plusnet. Transition went fine and I'm happy with networks, etc. Could anyone point me to a site that explains all the 'technical' stuff about ADSL modem i.e. what SNR levels, Line attenuation mean and what to expect. Clive
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 11th 05 06:17 PM
by Martin Underwood Go to last post
10 326
Broadband connection problem with two different routers by Martin Underwood
I've been trying to diagnose a problem with a customer's Dlink DSL-G604T router which fails to connect to his newly-activated line. The ISP says that as far as they can tell, the line has been activated for several days. However they are doing a full line test right now. In the meantime, can I check that my deductions are correct: - I've confirmed both with the ISP (Wanadoo) and with Dlink...
June 11th 05 03:55 PM
by Gaz Go to last post
5 198
Broadband service blocked by Freeserve proxy by LilaDuncan
My old Dad has subscribed to Telewest's Blueyonder service because he just likes surfing the Web. He's not very computer savvy though and he's getting a recurring problem which blocks his Internet access. Every now and again, for no apparent reason, the LAN setting in the Connections dialogue of Internet Explorer will set itself to use a proxy and that proxy will be a Freeserve one. I've shown...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 11th 05 03:12 PM
by LilaDuncan Go to last post
10 542
Web Hosting Reviews by Jeff Gaines
I am considering changing my web hosting supplier. I am really struggling to find any reviews of UK hosts and the couple of webhosting news groups are pretty empty. Any suggestions please, either of companies or places to see reviews? I am more interested in email hosting with solid spam and virus checking than a web site, since I can't think of anything that would be of the slightest interest...
June 11th 05 01:38 PM
by Russell Go to last post
2 237
Switching to LLU by Richard Tobin
I'm considering switching to Bulldog's "[email protected]" service, since my exchange is now unbundlable. Will I be able to get my existing ADSL provider (Claranet) to provide service up until the line is switched, or do I have to get it turned off first? -- Richard
June 11th 05 12:35 PM
by Sunil Sood Go to last post
1 321
Contacting Plusnet by Peter Crosland
How can one email Plusnet? Even as a 'guest' login, the contact page is not available. As I am considering them, it doesn't bode well if I cannot ask a technical question upon which signing with them may depend. Why not ask your question here? -- Peter Crosland
June 11th 05 09:18 AM
by Peter M Go to last post
1 276
OT? - BB Help by Bob .-.-.
Hi all One of my colleagues at work is trying to help his son make the right decision of ISP. He has NO internet access at all at the moment. Last night I tried to download the ADSL Guide to my HD and copy it to CD - The files that were available to copy were just shortcuts to ?????somewhere????? Does anybody know a way of dropping it down to CD so that he can look at it at home on his...
June 11th 05 01:25 AM
by Martin² Go to last post
4 243
Surge Protection RJ11 by Kris
Close lightning destroyed the cordless phone at the weekend, now looking to get some phone line surge protection. The adsl router survived. One of the Belkin range seems ok for mains / BT telephone sockets but I can't find anything for the RJ 11 lead between the BT ADSL faceplate and the router. ... Or perhaps the ADSL part of the faceplate and / or the router have inbuilt protection and no...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 11th 05 12:37 AM
by Mark McIntyre Go to last post
39 1,513
Q, WiFi disabled, is it secure? by T i m
A: Not in all cases it seems ... A while ago I noticed my D-Link DI-704 BB router was having difficulties handling DHCP with more and more (newer) network cards so I picked up a little new Q-Tec (Trust?) WiFi router (trade) via a mate. As I had a Netgear AP in the right place I disabled the WiFi interface on the new router .. it said it was disabled in the gui and the WLAN LED went off.
June 10th 05 08:16 PM
by T i m Go to last post
0 236
Use of an additional broadband router with bt broadband by [email protected]
I have a bt broadband account using the modem supplied by BT, an Alcatel Speedtouch. I wanted another broadband modem/router to use on the computer upstairs when the computer downstairs was switched off, so purchased a Mercury ETEC modem router. I thought (famous last words) all I would have to do was hook the thing up, enter my username and password, and it would connect through to BT. It...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 10th 05 04:18 PM
by P.R.Brady Go to last post
10 552
Best ISP for News Server by ras
Any ideas on which ISP has the best News SErver for binaries
June 10th 05 08:47 AM
by Smolley Go to last post
7 413
Broadband checker - inconsistent by P.R.Brady
I live 5.3Km as the crow flies from the local BT exchange which is ADSL enabled, but the cable distance is probably nearer 8Km. The adsl checker at: http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome says that I could have 2Mbit but that the BT records show a line sharing device is present, hence the marginal result (?). If I enter my neighbour's number I'm told that it is very...
June 9th 05 06:15 PM
by P.R.Brady Go to last post
5 282
Anyone with Zen regraded? by Stevie Boy
Anyone on the 512k service upgraded to 2Mb? If so is the upgrade a substantial and worthwhile one? Is it constantly better speed or suffer at times to lower service broadband speed? Steve
June 9th 05 02:07 PM
by M Go to last post
2 207
euro1net by Malcolm Loades
I did a Google groups search and only found 1 thread (2 postings) for this ISP. Their current offer is GBP10.00 per month (inc. VAT) for an unlimited 1Mb service. Only 'downside' is that you pay for the full 12 months in advance. Anyone able to comment on this ISP?
June 9th 05 02:05 PM
by Peter M Go to last post
1 364
HP 4700 - any good for secure wifi? by AndyC the WB
"Peter" == Peter writes: Peter What doesn't work is the fact that one cannot configure a Peter different login/password for SMTP email sending, from the Peter POP login/pwd. They appear to have to be the same. Maybe Peter there is a registry hack? This is gettting OK for a telecom group, but I use WebIS Mail (www.webis.net) which allows me to do...
June 9th 05 01:37 PM
by JobCentre Plus Go to last post
1 271
Hacker cleared over abuse message by mark kelly
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4072892.stm An angry hacker who recorded a rude message on a cable helpline for other customers to hear has been found not guilty of causing offence. Ashley Gibbins, 26, was so angry at being put on hold for an hour by NTL that he recorded a message littered with four-letter swear words. But Teesside magistrates cleared him of a charge under...
June 9th 05 11:37 AM
by Another Dave Go to last post
2 235
ADSL Tech Question by Sean Browne \(Cardiff IT Support Ltd\)
Guys, I am getting the following in the logs of my Belkin 7630 ADSL modem / router. I help working out what could be causing it would be welcomed. 06.06.2005 17:37:43 **SYN Flood to Host** 192.168.1.241, 3708- 195.8.181.180, 80 (from ATM1 Outbound) 06.06.2005 17:35:20 **SYN Flood to Host** 192.168.1.241, 3659-
June 9th 05 09:03 AM
by Sean Browne \(Cardiff IT Support Ltd\) Go to last post
3 311
Post New Thread

Display Options
Showing threads 10001 to 10020 of 17671