Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
BBC 'on this day' by chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco
I hope this isn't too OT, but I've noticed that the BBC 'On This Day' service is now in broadband on the video clips- it used to be around 56k, pretty grainy, now up to 256k. (Anyone know how recent this is?) This is a welcome upgrade on what is IMO a remarkable site, and one of the most useful free (well, broadband is limited to license payers in the UK- I've only gotten 56k from outside the UK)...
6 338
SDSL Pricing by 7
jas0n wrote: Is their likely to be any substantial movement in SDSL pricing shortly? I ask as it still seems very expensive, why is it so pricey? Its juts rip off Britain again and corporate liars and thieves, and their supporters.
May 31st 05 02:23 PM
by 7 Go to last post
0 213
fax and voip by Robert
do you know if there is any free software for sending fax using Voipbuster? thanks robert
May 31st 05 12:55 PM
by 7 Go to last post
1 398
SDSL Pricing by PJB
"jas0n" wrote in message ... Is their likely to be any substantial movement in SDSL pricing shortly? I ask as it still seems very expensive, why is it so pricey? 1. it's 1:1 cotention 2. upload & download speeds are the same, ie it's synchronous, as opposed to ADSL which is Asynchronous
May 31st 05 10:30 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 226
Using adsl connection for personal and customer use by icarus
Hi, I have an idea to use adsl for my own use but also have a USB connection available for members of the public to use for a fee in the next room. How would I go about setting this up ? I assume that I would need some sort of network and firewall but I have no idea how to do it. How long could the connection be from the modem/router/whatever. If I have my connection always on could...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 30th 05 09:50 PM
by David Wade Go to last post
12 303
Discount Vouchers and Promotional Codes by SHR
Discount Vouchers and Promotional Codes Do you shop online? Do you want to save money? Discount vouchers and promotional codes exist for a wide range of on-line retailers. A comprehensive list of these retailers are to be found he http://www.koolpages.com/ukshops/vouchers.html The site includes codes and vouchers for top UK shops such as Marks & Spencer, Currys, Boots and John Lewis....
May 30th 05 04:34 PM
by SHR Go to last post
0 271
shortest plusnet activation by Dave Stanton
As above, what the shortest time people have got from ordering to activation on Plusnet ? Cheers Dave
May 30th 05 07:51 AM
by Dave Stanton Go to last post
7 305
Tiscali go for LLU by Phil Thompson
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2239 reports that as a first step into LLU " Tiscali are to install their own ADSL hardware in 27 exchanges and move existing customers onto this service" providing both telephony and ADSL. Maybe the 12Mbits/s Italian Job is on its way after all :-0 Phil
May 30th 05 04:02 AM
by Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9632 Go to last post
9 340
Unmetered Broadband plus Inclusive phone calls...? by [email protected]
Who's got the best offer on Broadband & Phone at the moment? I'm looking for a reasonably reliable broadband service with no download limits (but 512kbps speed is fine) combined with a "weekend and evening calls free" or an "all calls to landlines free" phone service. TalkTalk's 512kbps broadband for 24.99 for "all calls" or 19.99 for "weekend and evening calls" looks pretty good, but does...
May 29th 05 10:46 PM
by Sunil Sood Go to last post
7 190
Sleepy mode for cable modem? by daveoman
I'm trying to find some information about sleep/standby modes of ANY cable modems (DOCSYS 1.1 at least). I'd like to set up a system that has a minimum of power consumption. From what I've been able to determine, I can't find any modem that has some sort of sleepy mode on the cable network side of the world. They are always "on" and synced up on that WAN side (I assume so they can always...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 29th 05 02:32 PM
by Yozzi Go to last post
14 347
Can't access Digital Spy forums on Bulldog by [email protected]
I'm with Bulldog, and for the last few days I haven't been able to access the Digital Spy forums at all. I can access the main site but that's all, and I know that the forums are working ok because the latest threads are shown on the main site. Anyone else having problems? The url is http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/ and the main site is
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 29th 05 01:03 PM
by MA Go to last post
11 490
Change of ISP by Chris Suckling
Hello Newsgroup I am currently deciding whether to change service providers to go to BT Broadband. With my current provider that being Blueyonder i can get a phone line added as part of my package. I was wondering including line rental and BT Broadband what the cost difference would be. If there is anyone here that has that package can you let me know whether on basis of cost it is worth...
May 29th 05 12:44 PM
by Ian Stirling Go to last post
5 288
demon refusing refund by Gaz
~Anyone encountered this type of situation? Customer has dialup account with demon, wants ADSL, orders ADSL with demon. Pays up front for the entire 12 months. Recieves equipment, attempts to install, no joy. I attempt to install, unable to line sync, check router, unplug phones etc etc etc etc. Talk to Demon customer services (contracted out to the punjab), explain situation, that line will...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 29th 05 12:15 PM
by Lob_on Go to last post
17 378
Broadband advice sought (Newbie) by Syke
At present I am on Dial-up and want to get on to BB. I know I can receive it all right, but when my local exchange was enabled last year, I tried to get established and had so much trouble with the supplied USB modem installation (system freezes and so on) that I took fright and cancelled the whole thing. I have two machines, one upstairs (about 10-15 metres in a straight line) which I would want...
May 28th 05 11:36 PM
by Danny Go to last post
9 417
Line Attenuation / Noise Margin by A
Can anyone point me in the direction of a link that perhaps explains the limits these values place on the speed of service you're likely to achieve? Thanks, Jez
May 28th 05 08:01 PM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
1 276
Migrating to ZEN by Mick
In article , (Dave Mason) wrote: No, the alias is just for email. http://www.zenxxxxx.zen.co.uk for the web space I'm afraid. OK no probs. It's not really a problem because the web forwarding I use from my own domain masks the address anyway. I just wanted something easier for me to remember.
May 28th 05 05:00 PM
by Mike Scott Go to last post
4 260
Problem with Zoom X4 and BT Broadband Basic by simon
Hello - I'm having problems getting Zoom X4 router to work with BT Broadband Basic. It seems that data can flow out but not in again. When I starting pinging against an external server, the pings timeout. I know this server responds to pings when accessed over dialup. I can see the Zoom's Tx ATM byte counter rising, but the Rx ATM counter stays static. I'm fairly sure that the ADSL link is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 28th 05 12:48 PM
by Phil Thompson Go to last post
12 307
Migrating to ZEN by Mick
Hi All, Just a quick question to any ZEN subscribers; I have started a migration from AOL to ZEN in the last couple of days and have now received an email containing my connection details etc. The only problem I see is that they have issued me with a strange email and web address in the form of and www.zen****.zen.co.uk (zen followed by 5 numeric digits).
May 28th 05 08:18 AM
by Mick Go to last post
4 322
Problem with Zoom X4 and BT Broadband Basic by simon
Hello - I'm having problems getting Zoom X4 router to work with BT Broadband Basic. It seems that data can flow out but not in again. When I starting pinging against an external server, the pings timeout. I know this server responds to pings when accessed over dialup. I can see the Zoom's Tx ATM byte counter rising, but the Rx ATM counter stays static. I'm fairly sure that the ADSL link is...
May 27th 05 11:25 PM
by simon Go to last post
0 173
Fax to e mail by J B
Slightly OT, but getting broadband so ditching the fax line and on recommendation of the good folks here I've chosen an 0870 486 XXXX fax to e mail number from http://www.inweb.co.uk/ They say it will work from abroad, but my sister in Italy tried it and got the engaged tone after dialling 00 44 870. Inweb say it "should work". Anyone any experience to prove yay or nay??
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
May 27th 05 10:22 PM
by J B Go to last post
12 355