Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
UPnP - should this be on by default? by Shez
I'm a bit hazy as to whether uPnP just configures local network devices or whether it has implications for Internet use - on our router it's enabled by default, is there any risk to this? We have a local mail server which is only supposed to exchange mail between machines on the LAN, but I'm concerned that uPnP may cause the router to open the corresponding ports to the world at large. --...
June 21st 05 07:50 PM
by Black Shuck Go to last post
1 358
How do ISPs make a profit? by simon
Hi, I'm with Claranet at the moment, and they claim that charging £30 for a 512Mb connection is necessary for them to maintain a reasonable profit margin. So how on earth can Plusnet offer £21 for an uncapped 2000Mb connection? Indeed nearly all ISPs are significantly cheaper than Clara. Are they storing up financial problems for the future? -- Simon
June 21st 05 07:29 PM
by Flying Rat Go to last post
6 409
Upgrading to broadband by John Allerton
I am thinking of upgrading to 1Mb broadband. However I still need to have a dial up facility on the PC. Will a dial up connection still operate on an ASDL enabled line? Thanks John.
June 21st 05 05:07 PM
by Jock Mackirdy Go to last post
6 570
Demon 2Mb by [email protected]
Rumour has it that tomorrow afternoon Demon are changing all their broadband users to 2Mb -- Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks. http://www.easynn.com
June 21st 05 04:21 PM
by Ian Stirling Go to last post
2 307
e-mail - Virgin Net AOL by Rupert
Anyone aware of any issues sending e-mail from Virgin Net (cp.net) to AOL - like AOL having blacklisted cp.net, for instance? One of my customers (on Virgin Net) is saying that their e-mails to AOL users aren't getting through (or being bounced). I am aware that AOL can be incredibly fussy about incoming e-mail in efforts to stop spam, but is there anyway of finding out on-the-fly which servers...
June 21st 05 02:49 PM
by Chip Go to last post
2 414
Cheapest ADSL modem for 'tests' ..? by T i m
Hi all, I popped into a mates on Sunday because he said his "(wireless) network has stopped working, Zonealarm had come up with something (don't you like that) so they removed it (?) but none of the (3) machines could get onto the internet (ahem nothing to do with Zone alarm was it then cough) ;-) I was able to connect to the router from one of the PC's, all the i/p addresses were good'...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 21st 05 11:39 AM
by Simon Zerafa Go to last post
10 447
BB Providers with no 12 months contract? by Da Vinci Code
hi there.. are there any BB Providers with no 12 months contract?
June 21st 05 11:11 AM
by Phil Thompson Go to last post
2 217
Wanadont Deadbox by McSnet
OK, let me try to be brief! I am a mac user (OS X.3.8) and I have recently subscribed to the wireless and talk service from Wanadoo. They say they do not support mac os x but I have picked up on various threads and tutorials regarding the setting up and it is possible. The problem being I am falling at the first hurdle, the red light that rapidly flashes next to the @ symbol has not halted -...
June 21st 05 09:35 AM
by Phil Thompson Go to last post
3 204
Marginal 2Mb ADSL. Will new Router help? by Vortex
I have been using ADSL for a couple of years, with a 512 connection that has been solid as a rock. Recently regraded to 2 Mb and the connection is "marginal" (I am 6k from exchange). It's probably up 50% of the time. I really do not want to downgrade back to 1Mb or less! ISP is arranging for BT to double check things are optimised at their end. The question is are there more things I can...
June 21st 05 02:47 AM
by Martin² Go to last post
3 242
User hackable linux based ADSL modem/router/wi-fi. by Ian Stirling
Currently I have a WRT54G, with an ADSL modem plugged into it. I find this very handy, as it lets me run programs on the WRT, such as esniper, to let me bid on auctions, even when all computers happen to be off. Can anyone suggest an upgrade that'd let me do it 'all in one box' ? (As the modem recently died in a powercut)
June 21st 05 02:05 AM
by Ian Stirling Go to last post
0 363
2Mb Broadband by Gareth :-\\\) voom
Just got this response from Plusnet: If BT have provided you with 1Mb then this will be the fastest speed possible on your line. Line speed is not simply decided on by distance form the exchange so the fact you are close to the exchange dores not mean you will get 2Mb. The results of BT's line tests obviously ruled out 2Mb in your case. Regards,
June 21st 05 01:40 AM
by Ian Stirling Go to last post
5 286
After installing Broadband, phone volume reduced by Blair
After installing Wanadoo Broadband I find that it is difficult to hear voices on incoming calls Is there a solution? Blair
June 20th 05 11:18 PM
by Blair Go to last post
6 320
Tiscali by Pete S
Has anyone else had this problem? Leave the computer idle for a length of time then try to get to a home page only to find "Cannot find server". Switch router/modem of then on sometimes a couple of times to get back on line. AMD 2000 XP Pro Linksys WAG54G 2meg connection
June 20th 05 10:09 PM
by Phillip Go to last post
2 419
Plusnet auto upgrade by Richard
I'm on the Premier Account, 512 and my phone exchange was/is being upgraded. If i can get the upgrade to 1mb will it just happen without notification or will the let me know.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 20th 05 06:17 PM
by Tony Hogarty Go to last post
16 527
VOIP handsets - UK retailers by
I really like the firebox usb handset but don't want to wait for it to arrive - does anyone know if there are any UK retailer outlets in the high street where I could buy one from? If not - are there any UK highstreet shops that sell these VOIP handsets? I'd especially love a wireless one... Thanks if any of you know and could tell me : )
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 20th 05 04:09 PM
by Go to last post
13 790
Tiscali broadband wireless by [email protected]
OK, I have read posts and I'm a bit confused. I currently have the normal broadband 1MB from Tiscali. Did not actually realise it was USB until it was too late, otherwise I'd be up and running by now. Q1 - do I really need those filters on every phone point? I have 4 points but only 2 filters, installed at the two phones I use the most. And will I still need them if I go wireless?
June 20th 05 02:55 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
7 444
Reserving copper overlay by douthers
Help, I live on a new housing development which is served by a TPON'd local exchange @ Thornton Cleveleys in Lancashire, meaning I cannot receive a broadband service. My neighbour, a BT engineer, has a working service due to being transferred onto a copper line using an overlay. A work colleague, who lives on the same development has managed to do the same, although he claims he just signed up...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 20th 05 01:55 PM
by simmo Go to last post
20 878
OT? Webiste problems? by Da Vinci Code
Hi all... Can anyone else access this website? http://mosthaunted.interoute.com/home.html
June 20th 05 01:21 PM
by Da Vinci Code Go to last post
3 256
New official firmware for the Netgear DG834/G (v 2.10.22) by Sunil Sood
Version 2.10.22 has been released. It appears to be a official release (the first since v1.05.00 which was released in July 2004) and not a beta Details/Downloadable at http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102713.asp Regards Sunil
June 20th 05 08:49 AM
by Andy Pandy Go to last post
2 409
Bulldog & Wanadoo to merge? by Cuzman