Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Belkin 802.11g 54Mb Wireless ADSL router by Gareth Edmondson
Hi Guys, Just after some advice. I have had a Belkin ADSL wireless router here on my desk for about a year running smoothly. Following advice from this group I changed the firmware to that released by SMC Networks. I have noticed over the past few weeks that the router is getting very hot. It still works but the heat coming out of it seems to have increased. On top of that if I leave the...
June 30th 05 08:06 PM
by Captain Kremin Go to last post
3 583
Do you *have* to manually connect with ADSL? by T i m
Hi All, I was talking to a friend who had recently gone to BB with BT over ADSL. They asked if it was right they had to click on the 'Connect' thing every time and I thought not. I typed them through various setting (over MSN) but we couldn't find anything that seemed to automate the process (ie you click on IE and it sparks up the BB)?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 30th 05 06:04 PM
by David Bradley Go to last post
21 649
Always-On Mythology by Rob
Why is broadband described as "always-on"? It's as much as always-on as a dialup connection is if you leave the modem powered and don't drop the line. When I power up my computer, I turn on my Netgear router. It connects to my broadband provider and logs on using my username and password. How is that different to a modem connection? OK there's no dialing and I suppose thats a few seconds saved....
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 30th 05 04:41 PM
by Richard Boyce Go to last post
86 2,667
2mb upgrade woes - LONG by [email protected]
I live in a small village less them 1km away from the exchange, and have been enjoying 1mb Broadband for since October 2004. Imagine my joy when I heard my ISP (BT YAHOO) were offering free 2mb upgrades for everyone who could get it. Well in March 2005 my line was upgraded and initially I was still downloading at 1mb even though the line said 2mb; I phoned technical support about this... A...
June 30th 05 02:58 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
4 401
Fax by TREVOR GOODWIN
Does anyone know if is it possible to send a fax from my broadband to someone who does not have internet access but has a fax machine? Thank you, TrevorG
June 30th 05 02:48 PM
by Tiscali Tim Go to last post
2 490
Datastream: Any way to find out if your exchange is enabled for it? by Cullen Skink
If you order a datastream product and the ISP accept the order and you get an activation date does that mean your exchange is datastream enabled? At what point does the ISP know if it is? I only ask as my activation date of 8th June has come and gone with no service yet. Virgin have raised a line fault ticket with BT and I'm waiting for an engineer to call. Just wondered if it is a line fault...
June 30th 05 12:30 PM
by Phil Thompson Go to last post
9 476
Plunset Regrade Very Fast by Gareth :-\\\) voom
I paid Plusnet £14.99 around 48 hours ago to regrade my line to 2Mb and was told 5-7 days. Got up this morning and my line is now running at 2Mb :) and only £14.99 per month. Nice.
June 30th 05 06:29 AM
by David Bradley Go to last post
7 414
Broadband and Dial up. by Donald McTrevor
Is this possible? When mine (brooadband) was installed I was told to delete all my dialup connection entries (against my wishes) however I have added some since, but not used them. Can I use them or will it confuse my computer? Could I just plug in my telephone modem now and dial one up (whilst still connected by my cable modem) or would I have to disconnect the cable modem (which causes...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 30th 05 02:08 AM
by Donald McTrevor Go to last post
16 984
Demon or Eclipse by Tx2
As per subject ..... for business use, unlimited. Which has the better service/back-up of the two? I've recently signed someone up to Eclipse, but there was a problem, and it took 'forever' to get through to support. Someone I was talking to on an unrelated matter then told me Demon would have been better ..... Who would you choose?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 29th 05 11:30 PM
by Ian Cummings Go to last post
23 850
Plusnet by thinking
Any Download limits on the 2mb Broadband Premier connection ??????
June 29th 05 11:29 PM
by Bill Go to last post
8 395
Surge suppression by McSpreader
A customer suffers failure of broadband connection after a thunderstorm. Diagnosis shows that the ADSL modem (or ADSL modem/router) has failed - presumably due to a surge pulse on the phone line. After replacing the faulty device, customer usually asks "What do I need to avoid a recurrence?" The more readily available and affordable potential solutions appear to be surge protected power...
June 29th 05 08:30 PM
by Bob Eager Go to last post
8 495
Plusnet Broadband Plus question by Peter P
This looks very good value at £14.99 pm, but the downside is contained in the following: "With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing." Can anyone...
June 29th 05 06:33 PM
by poster Go to last post
4 295
Change Priovider, Notice? by Da Vinci Code
Hi, My current 12 months with NDO is up in 3 months time, will I have to gice noitice to quit and request my MAC code? Thamls -- Remove " sync " &" privacy " to reply
June 29th 05 05:59 PM
by Mugwump Go to last post
1 293
Telephone Wiring by Brian
I am trying to sort out my internal telephone wiring before I get broadband. The master socket is downstairs by the front door, and there are secondary sockets in most rooms, including my study upstairs.. Seems I have two choices 1. To put the filter/splitter at the master socket, connect all the phones to the phone side, and run a separate cable to my study for the broadband or 2. Plug the...
June 29th 05 05:23 PM
by Tiscali Tim Go to last post
3 512
Tiscali or PlusNet? by Cap'n
I would favour PlusNet, but my live-in landlord has seen a Tiscali ad (1mb for £14.99). Can anyone supply any ammunition? Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 29th 05 02:54 PM
by Bob Smith \(UK\) Go to last post
23 878
Don't feed the troll! by Da Vinci Code
-- Remove " sync " &" privacy " to reply
June 29th 05 02:29 PM
by Da Vinci Code Go to last post
0 383
Anyone got F2S 8Mb yet? by cAm
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has recently subscribed/tried F2S new 8Mb service? Was curious to know if they really provide around 800Kb upspeed? My exchange is listed on their website and it says it would get enabled around August time. So isn't it worth goin for 24.99 on a monthly contract with no activation fees (as i will migrate) and speeds 8Mb up - 768Kb down, and not to mention that...
June 29th 05 09:40 AM
by cAm Go to last post
0 247
New to ADSL broadband, what does 'bitstream' mean? by Horse.trader
Having fairly recently joined NTL (512k) broadband, I was told by a BT engineer that came to remove some RFI filters from my BT line, that, my (broadband) 'connection' in the exchange was 'bitstream' he seems to indicate this was good? My actual connection speed is 2.2mps, but apparently BT cap this to 512k, which is what I pay for, it certainly seems to be lightening fast, mind you,...
June 29th 05 07:08 AM
by Horse.trader Go to last post
7 478
Which is the best ISP + Modem? by [email protected]
hello i am looking to get my internet connection set up at home. i have one PC and one Laptop that need to be connected to the internet so have to get a adls modem/router i am renting so dont want a 12 month contract, i am not sure how much limit i need either! oh yes and cheap, must be cheap! i dont mind having a 512k connection.
June 29th 05 02:11 AM
by Martin² Go to last post
3 337
What info is required for broadband please? by Steve
Hi Folks I am currently with Virgin dial up and considering going to broadband (maybe Virgin,maybe AOL,maybe uk online...) but wondered if anyone in the group could answer a query please?. I mainly use Linux but still have an XP partition (just in case). I change and upgrade to different Linux distros frequently and to get back online I simply enter my user name, password, in and out servers...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 29th 05 02:00 AM
by Martin² Go to last post
12 726