Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Turned down for ADSL... by Jack Hump'er
.....despite just ending a previous ADSL contract!! Had 512 ADSL with Pipex, but cancelled due to improved offers elsewhere (this was days before Pipex's new pricing structure). Decided to go back with them, based on their new prices but have just received an e-mail stating that my line is unsuitable for ANY ADSL!!! So what WAS it I was connected to for the last 2 years with no problems...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 23rd 05 02:13 AM
by atoa27 Go to last post
10 460
Switching ISP by Mike
Hi, after many years with ClaraNet (dial-up, ISDN and now Broadband) connections, I am moving to a new provider. I've always been very happy with ClaraNet's service, even though they are more expensive than many other ISPs. However, I wish to upgrade from a 512k to a 2mb connection and their 2mb charges are simply stupid. They also want to charge me 50 pounds to upgrade, so I am leaving and...
June 23rd 05 01:42 AM
by Martin² Go to last post
5 595
My SNR is dropping - what do I do? by Dave
Hello, When I bought my router about 3 months ago, my SNR was 13dB downstream 18dB upstream. Now, it's 10dB downstream and 16dB upstream. I suspect it will continue dropping. Should I moan at Pipex now or do I have to wait until the connection stops working? Cheers. Dave.
June 23rd 05 12:07 AM
by Ian Stirling Go to last post
5 381
minimal set of outgoing ports by Shez
I want to tighten up our office ADSL router's rules on outgoing traffic to reduce the risk from malware. The question is, what ports are essential for a basic office LAN web/email setup? These are the outgoing ports it looks like I need: smtp 25 tcp pop3 110 tcp ftp 20-21 tcp (for downloading only, not serving) dns 53 tcp+udp
June 23rd 05 12:04 AM
by Ian Stirling Go to last post
4 545
Distance from exchange by Mike
Hi again - I've just learned that my house is 962 metres from my exchange. In the scheme of things, how good/bad is this for a 2mb connection? Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 22nd 05 10:10 PM
by Stephen Stewart Go to last post
10 470
BT refuse to try 256k by Trevor Morris
On June 13 I asked if anyone had tried a 256kb/s ADSL service on a long line where 512k was marginal. Noone had, though I got some useful advice. We are about 10 km by road from the exchange, and the 512kb/s service from Zen initially worked for several hours at a time. However, when BT provided a filtered faceplate, ADSL syncing became even less reliable, and my dial-up speed went down...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 22nd 05 08:24 PM
by Stevie Boy Go to last post
15 662
2Mb Broadband by Gareth :-\\\) voom
I have just had my new broadband account activated. I have gone for a 2Mb package but have noticed that I am only getting 1Mb. I have been looking around the internet and came across a site which tells me I am 214 meteres from my exchange. Does this mean I am too far away from the exchange to get 2Mb?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 22nd 05 07:02 PM
by Peter Go to last post
15 473
Increasing ADSL line speed.. possible? by John Carlyle-Clarke
Hi- I have a Plusnet "up to 2Mb/s" ADSL package. ADSL has just become available where I live, and we are a long way from the exchange, so I didn't expect 2Mb/s! According to RAC site, it's a 6.5km drive, and since the phone lines usually follow the road, that's probably the line length too. I'm getting a reported speed of 576Mb/s from the modem, and the speed test at adslguide gives much...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 22nd 05 05:04 PM
by etillet Go to last post
20 843
Typical transfer rate for 2 Mbps ADSL by Martin Underwood
What sort of transfer rate would you expect from a 2 Mbps ADSL line? I was downloading a lot of drivers from various sites (eg HP's) on a customer's 2 Mbps AOL line through a Netgear router (cable connection from router to PC) and I was interested to see that the transfer rate as shown by Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) was absolutely rock steady at 0.5% of 100 Mbps - in other words,...
June 22nd 05 04:54 PM
by Spack Go to last post
3 347
Keeping BT e-mail addresses after moving ADSL provider by AJH
I want to move from BT Yahoo Broadband (cos' it's too dear) to either PlusNet or maybe a Onetel calls/internet bundle. However, I want to keep my ...btopenworld.com e-mail addresses for a little while afterwards, while I tell everyone my new one. I plan to downgrade my BT account to a PAYG dial-up and have the new ISP take over the broadband, but... Will BT go for this? Has anyone else done it?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
June 22nd 05 03:22 PM
by Peter M Go to last post
10 568
2wire 1800hg by spanna
Like an idiot I just bought a BT1800HG adsl wireless router from eba without doing enough research. It seemed a good price and I thought I was doing a mate a favour. Seems it is designed to work only with BT Broadband straight out of th box. However it is basically a 2wire 1800HG so I assume either flashing th firmware or using different drivers will get it to work.
June 22nd 05 02:16 PM
by ABC Go to last post
1 447
test (from new zen 2Mbit connection - after being kicked off of Wanapoo) by Joe Butler
Just testing this new lightning-fast connection :-)
June 22nd 05 09:29 AM
by Adam Piggott Go to last post
1 303
Phone line turned off by Eddy
A friend of mine is thinking of getting his phone turned off, so he does not have the line rental to pay, my question is, can he still keep his Broadband?, I would have thought bt would turn that off as well due to him not paying line rental is this the case?. Thanks Eddy
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 22nd 05 09:04 AM
by Phil Thompson Go to last post
21 656
Bulldog broadband from £8/month. by {{{{{Welcome}}}}}
http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/ Bulldog have an offer on where the 1st month is free and then 5 months at a reduced rate. -- For South East Brum: http://www.south-east-birmingham.tk For Free £10 credit when you get referred to TalkTalk or £5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via above site.
June 22nd 05 08:53 AM
by Sleeker GT Phwoar Go to last post
4 279
Freedom2Surf rolls out 8Mb and aims for 24meg service by 7
Freedom2Surf rolls out 8Mb and aims for 24meg service for same price as 1mbit http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/21/freedom2surf_llu/ BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! The stuuopid cluless fscks at BT$ don't know what hit them. Bring on LLU and we shall see!
June 22nd 05 08:28 AM
by Dave Go to last post
3 234
plus.net and force9 ?? by khan
are they part of one company or something. i have been researching for a new bb provider and have read a lot of good reviews for plusnet and somewhere about www.f9.net.uk they have exactly the same web page makeup and copyright (at the bottom of home page) which should i go for?
June 22nd 05 02:22 AM
by Martin² Go to last post
5 303
Telephone cabling required by Ed
Hello Can anyone help please. I am looking to put some extensions in my house, around three. As I have only the one socket in at the moment then I know that my wiring, BT have just installed a new NTE5 socket and a new cable run to the pole, is as good as it is going to get to ensure that any interference with my 8mb ADSL is kept to a minimum. I have already fitted my ADSL faceplate...
June 21st 05 10:04 PM
by Ivor Jones Go to last post
5 294
UPnP - should this be on by default? by Shez
I'm a bit hazy as to whether uPnP just configures local network devices or whether it has implications for Internet use - on our router it's enabled by default, is there any risk to this? We have a local mail server which is only supposed to exchange mail between machines on the LAN, but I'm concerned that uPnP may cause the router to open the corresponding ports to the world at large. --...
June 21st 05 06:50 PM
by Black Shuck Go to last post
1 366
How do ISPs make a profit? by simon
Hi, I'm with Claranet at the moment, and they claim that charging £30 for a 512Mb connection is necessary for them to maintain a reasonable profit margin. So how on earth can Plusnet offer £21 for an uncapped 2000Mb connection? Indeed nearly all ISPs are significantly cheaper than Clara. Are they storing up financial problems for the future? -- Simon
June 21st 05 06:29 PM
by Flying Rat Go to last post
6 423
Upgrading to broadband by John Allerton
I am thinking of upgrading to 1Mb broadband. However I still need to have a dial up facility on the PC. Will a dial up connection still operate on an ASDL enabled line? Thanks John.
June 21st 05 04:07 PM
by Jock Mackirdy Go to last post
6 579
Post New Thread