Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
ADSL faceplate for fibre? by Gareth
I have an ADSL Nation faceplate for a master socket - it seems to work well and upped my ADSL from 1.5 to 3.5. I've gone for a VDSL upgrade and I'm wondering if I can just keep the ADSL Nation faceplate instead of having a BT Openreach faceplate installed. I've read mixed reviews on this - some people say it is fine and others say not. I can't see much difference in the specs of the two...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 5th 13 11:41 PM
by Andy Wade Go to last post
15 3,153
FTTC by Chris
My phone line was down. Openreach engineer called at the house. He fixed the fault - a broken wire at the exchange. He also said that FTTC is coming to my street cabinet in 2013. Very good news indeed! Will I have to change ISP to BT Infinity? Right now I pay BT for line rental and TalkTalk for broadband and phone calls.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 4th 13 10:45 AM
by Justin C Go to last post
44 3,852
Question about media streaming players by Dave Saville
Perhaps someone can enlighten me on these gadgets about something that I find odd. The one I have been l looking at is a Roku - largely becasue as far as I know it is, currently, the only one in the UK that will drive a TV that does not have HDMI connections. Although that is about to change with the expected launch of Netgear's NeoTV300 series. (supposed to be December) Now all these boxes...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 3rd 13 01:43 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
11 984
plusnet to provide unlimited broadband??? by tim.....
Can anyone explain this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/dec/14/plusnet-provide-unlimited-broadband. It says that the charges are going to be 5.99 for the 10Gb limited service and 9.99 for Unlimited, But according to the website they are currently 6.49 for 10Gb and 11.49 capped at 60Gb (which is what I am paying)
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 3rd 13 10:32 AM
by Mark Go to last post
48 2,552
Wot I got from Santa by WCZ
Did quite well on the games front from the big man in red. Halo 4 Forza Horizon Need For Speed Most Wanted Ghost Recon Future Soldier Anyone playing any of that lot online? --
January 3rd 13 06:55 AM
by Apellation Controlee Go to last post
3 447
have you seen an amazing miracle like this before...!!? by BV BV
have you seen an amazing miracle like this before...!!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPT7fjskipg&feature=BFa&list=PLB95C1C59E12FBA96 thank you
December 28th 12 07:57 PM
by BV BV Go to last post
0 458
Painless move to new Plusnet package by rbel
Also posted to ps customer-feedback. Simple move from existing PN account to new 12 month unlimited and phone deal. The only thing that you need to be aware of (if you want to take advantage of it) is that the lower rate line rental available if you pay for 12 months in advance is a separate transaction which takes place when they take the line over. -- rbel
December 24th 12 08:17 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
4 676
LAN oddity by Harry Bloomfield
WinXP desktop, which I hibernate when not in use. When turned back on, despite showing as being connected to the Internet, it often doesn't manage to move any data in or out via the wired LAN to the router. The quick fix is to either disable and re-enable the interface or click on repair and it all starts to work properly. Is this normal behaviour, or do I have an issue? --
December 22nd 12 06:27 PM
by Andy Burns Go to last post
9 525
BBC News mobile website on Three S2 screwed up ... by CJB
I don't use my S2 much now because when I do a top-up Three cancels any unused services (texts, 3-3 calls, Internet) after a mere 45 days. GiggGaff on my Nokia is a miles better service. However my Three mobile dongle ran out of credit so I needed to tether the S2 with an Internet add-on. Then on the train whilst playing around with the S2 (untethered) I tried the BBC News mobile site. This was...
December 21st 12 11:13 PM
by Steve Terry Go to last post
4 577
Anyone in Scotland on? by alexd
Every ADSL I monitor in Scotland seems to be off. -- http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) ) 09:11:45 up 10 days, 15:57, 7 users, load average: 1.14, 0.97, 0.86 Qua illic est reprehendit, illic est a vindicatum
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
December 18th 12 10:39 PM
by Jim Go to last post
24 1,456
Suspicious message by Harry Bloomfield
This started about 6 months ago, but just affected one particular sender of emails, so I thought it was something at their end - now I am seeing a few other emails marked up similarly.... In the subject line, at the beginning of the line, it will have the following in square brackets - . It arrives from the Tiscali pop server marked in this way, rather than my system marking it this way. If...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 17th 12 05:06 PM
by S Viemeister Go to last post
11 1,665
BT killing off Broadband Talk by R. Mark Clayton
Is this so that if you get your broadband from another provider they can't give you a Voip phone to make all your calls on and take call revenue from BT? -- R. Mark Clayton remove nospa for email
December 14th 12 06:54 AM
by Phil Reynolds Go to last post
7 575
Upload speed degrading faster than download speed? by chris
Hi all, I noticed this weekend that my upload speed degrades worse over wi-fi than my d/load speed. e.g. downstairs the speeds were measured (via speedtest.net) as ~10Mbps down and ~0.09Mbps up over wifi. Where upstairs when connected via ethernet I get ~12Mbps down and ~0.3Mbps up. Anyone any idea why the upload speeds are so much worse downstairs? BTW I'm on ADSL2+ with plusnet. TIA
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
December 13th 12 04:26 PM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
22 2,406
TP-LINK setup..TD-W8951NB by The Natural Philosopher
Am I alone in thinking that if you are a dumb twit, and you just do the standard things, the TP-LINK routers are actually good. But if you try and use any of the advanced features its so buggy that its a miracle if you can get it to do anything? I have rebooted it 5 times reset it to factory defaults, had it fail to respond to pings or be accessible via web interface, tried to save and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
December 7th 12 10:23 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
20 2,545
Cable broadband/tv without phone by Chris Hills
I have had contracts with virgin and telewest in the past, and it is *still* cheaper to get broadband and tv *with* a phone line compared to without. Not only that, if you do not get a phone line, you have to pay an additional 49.95 one-off fee. What is the reasoning behind this? Also, you cannot get the smallest 50-channel package using the "Build your own bundle" tool . It is only available...
December 5th 12 09:27 PM
by alexd Go to last post
3 962
How long to wait for Noise margin and BRAS to reset.. by The Natural Philosopher
Had a purple patch of connectivity, eventually the router died completely. New one is p0liumbed in but I've lost the decent BRAS and noise margin..how long does it take to reset? I am not sure I want to bother IDnet AGAIN... -- Ineptocracy
December 5th 12 09:28 AM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
7 788
10 days and counting to fix fault by Justin C
On Friday 9th November I notified BT of a fault. While I still have a network connection the download speed is lousy, I'm getting about 56K on what should be at least 2MB. It'd been that way for a while, I thought a router re-boot might fix it, but no. Checking with my ISP (Andrews Arnold) I found some diagnostic tools on their site, ran them and they reported a fault on my line. So I telephone...
December 4th 12 03:44 PM
by Mark Go to last post
7 614
Flakey ADSL connection by Justin C
I had terrible download speed (less than dial-up) and finally decided to do something about it about two weeks ago. Using diagnostic tools on my ISP's site a fault was found which i reported to BT (my phone service provider). BT fixed the fault but my broadband speed didn't increase. I went back to my ISP and was asked to try the router in the master socket, with a different cable and different...
December 3rd 12 06:30 PM
by Mike Tomlinson Go to last post
2 655
Never mind 4G, look what Wifi interference has done.. by The Natural Philosopher
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/21/wi_fi_knockout/ -- Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
December 2nd 12 01:14 AM
by Phil W Lee Go to last post
20 1,662