Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Increase in Virgin Media prices by Guy Barry
I've just been informed by Virgin Media that their broadband prices are increasing by £1.50 a month from 1st April. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it, because they have a monopoly over the cable service (I don't have a traditional phone line). Can anyone explain why Virgin have been allowed to maintain their monopoly over the cable network while BT have been forced to give up theirs...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 6th 12 09:51 AM
by Paul Cummins Go to last post
45 2,327
BT Broadband - Why is it slower by Rob
I had Tiscali Broadband for soem time. Being on the edge of town I got about .75 megs. (Speeds measured by a measuring device supplied by OFCOM and connected directly to the router) When the BT engineer was fixing the phone line he discovered an unnecessary 3 mile loop and when he removed it we went up to 1.5. When they (Now called Talk-Talk) started behaving silly I moved to BT. (I know...
March 1st 12 10:27 AM
by Mark Go to last post
6 445
Revenge is a dish ... by Adrian C
A friend has had Plusnet broadband installed simply by installing the wireless router and following the installation instructions. His only PC is wired to the router, and unfortunately he (and, er... OK, me) wasn't awake enough to disable the wireless features or setup a different wireless SSID/Key than default. Well, seems a neighbour has cracked it and frittered away this months 10GB...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 29th 12 09:17 PM
by alexd Go to last post
101 2,586
How cheap can you go ? by Andrew Benham
Tesco broadband at £2.50 a month for the first year. Hardly worth them charging at all, is it ?
February 27th 12 11:37 AM
by Davey Go to last post
8 578
How to take over BB+phone when you don't know the existing provider ? by Nick Leverton
Hi all, I'm about to rent a flat but don't have a clue who the existing provider is for phone and broadband. I'd like to get things started with provision from my preferred ISP before I get the keys, so as to avoid having to wait too long for service. Is there a simple way to find out the current status of the line and its details (other than asking the lettings agent, which I'm waiting...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 23rd 12 06:56 AM
by Jono Go to last post
30 1,834
Plusnet (ATTN Plusnet support if you still lurk/post here!) -accessing cancelled account / moorcroft debt recovery by Jon Parker
Hello Group, I'm specifically looking for some plusnet assistance here. My mum moved to Orange from plusnet (Broadband and Landline) about a year ago and all was well until about 6 weeks ago she got a letter from Moorcroft asking for nigh on £50 without an explanation. Efforts to extract the info from plusnet frontline customer service are failing because the account is closed, apparently the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 22nd 12 07:15 PM
by J B Go to last post
33 2,270
Slow ADSL - how to get a new phone socket by AnthonyL
I'm in self contained rented offices. The telephone wiring comes to me via a torturous route and I have no idea where the master socket is but may well be in an adjacent building. My broadband speeds are appalling even allowing for the fact that I'm a long way from the exchange. Stats a ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 768 kbps 448 kbps Line Attenuation 57.0 db ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 20th 12 11:10 PM
by Phil W Lee Go to last post
59 2,740
Pipex questions by Chris
I am very confused because of conflicting and sometimes garbled communications. My aim in posting here is not to complain or criticise but simply to see if anyone actually knows what is happening. 1. Are all Pipex customers being moved to Home Telecom? 2. Are some being moved to TalkTalk Business and some to Home Telecom?
February 20th 12 05:37 PM
by Michael Chare Go to last post
2 530
Highly suspect Ipad2 wifi behaviour by Peter
The Ipad2 has a long history of problems on wifi. There is a 90-page thread running on the Apple user forums, with no solutions but with Apple keeping very quiet... One hears of some issues caused by it requesting DHCP every few seconds, but I seem to have found something else. I used to run Draytek AP800 access points, with the latest 1.03 firmware which they suggested fixes Apple IOS issues,...
February 19th 12 05:46 PM
by Martin Go to last post
2 331
Which wifi AP is most reliable for IOS devices? by Peter
There is a widespread compatibility issue with wifi, caused by Apple having broken the old "standards". For example some of their stuff requests DHCP every 10 seconds or so. There is a ~90 page thread on the Apple forums about this, with no solutions... I would like to buy an AP which just works... A lot of the Cisco gear is very pricey though - $400 plus for a simple AP and it isn't clear what...
February 14th 12 07:03 PM
by Peter Go to last post
7 447
Inrteresting article on BT finances by The Natural Philosopher
http://tinyurl.com/8977jbf Note that the ONLY division that is expanding is OPENREACH. "The telecoms giant reported a 48pc rise in pre-tax profits to £652m in the three months to December 31, despite a 5pc decline in its overall revenues to £4.8bn. OpenReach, the unit providing broadband connections, grew revenues 5pc to £1.3bn, as demand increased for the fifth successive quarter. "
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 13th 12 08:40 AM
by Mike Tomlinson Go to last post
34 1,859
EXAMPLES OF PROPHET’S MERCY UPON NON MUSLIMS !!!!!!!!!!!!! by BV
EXAMPLES OF PROPHET’S MERCY UPON NON MUSLIMS Ex. No. (1) It was narrated that ‘Aisha, May Allah be pleased with her, said to the Prophet, Peace be upon him: "Have you ever come across a day harder than the day ofUhod (one of the battles with the polytheists, in which Muslims were defeated failing to comply with the Prophet's instructions)?" He replied: "I have suffered from your people a...
February 6th 12 04:27 PM
by BV Go to last post
0 417
DG834GT suitable for FTTC by Mark
Hi, My new router has not arrived yet so I am wondering whether my DG834GT (DGteam) router can be made to work with FTTC until the correct router arrives. I've searched but it is not 100% clear whether this will work. -- (\__/) M. (='.'=) Due to the amount of spam posted via googlegroups and (")_(") their inaction to the problem. I am blocking some articles posted from there. If you wish your...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 5th 12 08:54 PM
by Mark Go to last post
53 2,441
Anyone heard of EasyTalk? by Andrew Hodgson
Hi, Has anyone heard of a broadband supplier called EasyTalk? A friend has just moved to them (unintentionally - they are not computer literate), after a cold sales call. They got this guy to get the MAC code and everything, but now we don't have any connection details, and when I tried phoning the offices tonight they were closed. I looked for a webpage, but couldn't find a UK site.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
February 3rd 12 04:15 PM
by Geoffrey Catterall Go to last post
17 4,339
Google Public DNS by Second Stage Lensman
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any comments? Any drawbacks?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
January 31st 12 06:36 PM
by Ass Gun Nun Go to last post
24 1,968
Do you associate what is search faction optimization? by Glillrare
Is it ranking in the SERPs? - If a spread ranks sufficiently in the search engines it stands a sizeable odds to be trusted next to them katalog. Together with despite the fact that if those links do not reckon to cure succour your ranking they peacefulness can coerce centre traffic. I oftentimes upon the drift directories like Business.com and JoeAnt ranking in the search results. Do they trade...
January 28th 12 03:36 PM
by Glillrare Go to last post
0 732
BT Infinity - speed by DIYer
My father in law was tempted by the 35Mb predicted speed and so had BT Infinity installed today. It reached 6.6Mb. That might seem a little slow but is a huge performance hike on the 0.9Mb he had before on BT Broadband. Something that doesn't sit right with me about the installation, though, is that the BT bod plugged the hub into a downstairs extension socket and not the master socket...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 26th 12 11:11 PM
by m Go to last post
119 5,240
USA NBC in UK by Davey
Does anybody know how to (legally) watch NBC programs on a PC in the UK? Something similar to BBC's iPlayer, I suppose. I use Linux, but have Win 7 available if needed. -- Davey.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
January 25th 12 02:36 PM
by Another Dave Go to last post
15 985
ADSL reliability problem by Phil Reynolds
Over the last few weeks I have experienced unreliability on my ADSL connection, usually causing it to drop repeatedly - often several times over the course of an hour. However, when this is not happening, it stays up quite happily. There were no problems in previous years either. It seems that the problem only occurs in cold, dry conditions - in the recent heavy rain it stood firm. I have...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
January 24th 12 06:42 PM
by Phil Reynolds Go to last post
25 1,200
Wikipedia by Graham.
What's the point of the 24 hour outage when every page is cached by Google? -- Graham. %Profound_observation%
January 24th 12 10:43 AM
by Mark Go to last post
6 631
Post New Thread