Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Orange blocking NNTP? by Biggles
I have an Orange broadband account, which normally shows about 7.5Mb/s at the router and returns about 6.5Mb/s on speedtest. I have had a news account with Eternal September for a couple of years now and speed has been OK, but for the past couple of months or so the response from Eternal September has been awful, with frequent time outs. A couple of times recently I have (initially by...
November 25th 12 07:07 AM
by Phil W Lee Go to last post
4 672
Loss of Freeview Channels with 4G Mobile by CJB
Is this really an issue - that many (all?) Freeview Channels will suffer from severe interference with the new frequencies allocated to 4G mobile services? I hear that millions of Londoners will be especially affected if receiving Freeview from Crystal Palace transmitters / masts. This is crazy. I thought that analogue t.v. was switched off to provide frequencies for 4G, but it seems that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 22nd 12 01:52 AM
by Java Jive Go to last post
118 3,673
Rural Broadband by Martin Brown
Hi! We have a local problem with demand for CN20 ADSL2 outstripping the capacity of the physical lines into the village which means that every time someone signs up two grannies get DACS'd to free a real copper circuit. The disturbance to old wiring is taking its toll. This has been true for a while, but the contortions that BT are going through now to install new ADSL subscribers...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 21st 12 08:17 PM
by Andy Champ Go to last post
83 3,567
Vodafone - if you don't make enough calls then you'll get cut off by CJB
Then Vodaphone will not only reallocate your no. to another customer, but you will also lose all credit on that no. Other mobile telcos have similar T&Cs. Frankly this is out right theft - but then the whole mobile industry is riddled with such scams and fraud. Anyway see: http://www.lovemoney.com/news/household-bills/mobile-phones/18212/vodafone-dont-make-enough-calls-cut-off So if you have a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
November 16th 12 12:14 PM
by kraftee Go to last post
27 1,982
Is the Vodafone Account Access working? by Anthony R. Gold
Can anyone log in to their Vodafone online accounts? I am reaching strange Oracle screens and don't know if the problem is at the VF server or my own browser or Java software. My prepaid broadband accounts are working fine but I will need web access for topups.
November 15th 12 05:57 PM
by Anthony R. Gold Go to last post
2 516
ADSL speed low, SNR bad but speedtest report OK? by jkn
Hi there a general sort of question about which line of enquiry to follow... A month or so ago our domestic ADSL broadband connection went down. My ISP (Plusnet) started to get the line investigated with BT (I know that they are part of the same company); however the connection started working agian before they got too far with this. However, it's never been quite the same since ... the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
November 9th 12 12:30 PM
by nick Go to last post
16 1,293
Sam Knows not as good maybe as it used to be. by David
I'm with Be Unlimited at present and the deal I had negotiated with expires in a month I looked at Sam Knows and he only knows of BT fibre and Virgin in my location.. BT Wholesale ADSL BT Wholesale ADSL Max BT Wholesale WBC (21CN) BT FTTC O2 / Be LLU Bulldog LLU
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 8th 12 11:36 PM
by Phil W Lee Go to last post
31 2,555
Good router/moden for use in "crowded" wifi environment? by Tim+
My mother recent bought an iPad but has been frustrated by its inability to maintain a wifi connection for more than a couple of minutes at a time in her Glasgow tennement flat. I've brought it back to my house and it works just fine on my network. In her flats, it can usually "see" two or three networks and when I had a fiddle with "inssider" on her laptop, I could pick up 23 different...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 8th 12 06:23 PM
by Andy Champ Go to last post
44 2,225
Are Plusnet diversifying? by Flyig u 212 + on netbook
Just heard on one of their TV ads that Plusnet are offering extra fibre for only 5 per month. I suppose they think that there is some mileage in the special dietary business then. :) -- Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter FN 212 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland
November 7th 12 08:06 PM
by bert Go to last post
4 484
For those who are used to interpreting router figures by rbel
Recently installed Billion 7800n ADSL2 Upstream 803 Downstream 4183 SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.9 SNR Margin(Downstream) 4.7 Line Attenuation(Upstream) 37.7 Line Attenuation(Downstream) 58.0
November 6th 12 07:52 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
8 701
Will my broadband change at all? by Victor Delta
I'm in the process of changing my ISP from Orange to PlusNet. Although there may be some improvement in customer service etc, am I right in thinking that as the 'new' broadband will still emanate from my local BT exchange and travel down the same twisted pair, I'm not likely to notice any difference in basic service, speed etc. i.e. it's just like changing gas or electricity supplier where...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
November 6th 12 01:29 PM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
19 1,494
Fibre to the Cabinet - Tile Hill by Andrew Hill
SAMKNOWS and various other sources have reported for many months that the Tile Hill exchange in Coventry will get FTTC coverage in the 4th quarter of 2012. http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/CMTIL now shows FTTC status as "Available in some areas". Annoyingly I am not in one of those areas! Does anyone have any experience of this happening in other areas (or specific information...
November 6th 12 10:58 AM
by Mark Go to last post
2 822
Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically .... by CJB
6 per MB for data !!!!!!!!! And Giffgaff / Tesco will follow. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-2226168/O2-roaming-charges-mobile-network-doubles-text-prices-outside-EU.html Thought Giffgaff was an ultimate ripoff. We were in Bangkok recently and I turned my phone on for texting. But then received two short calls from the UK which I cut short. My balance in the UK was...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
November 6th 12 01:29 AM
by Chris Blunt Go to last post
11 2,290
Orange Member Centre Logged into Someone Else's Account by stephen
Today I logged in to Orange member centre to check my home bb statement, and I was presented with a different customer's details. The Profile screen showed my own info but the Statement and Account sections showed this other persons details. I called support and was palmed off with a bunch of nonsense about how sometimes the system "pings the wrong IP address when you log in, which can take you...
November 3rd 12 07:44 PM
by Steve Terry Go to last post
3 531
BT Yahoo mail down by Bruce Fletcher
Getting this message when I try to log on using mail.yahoo.com (Outlook just sits there trying to connect): "Can't talk now. System's down. Sorry for the holdup. Looks like a temporary glitch in our network has part of Yahoo! mail down, so you're briefly without service. Rest assured the alarms are blaring in the basement and our team is working frantically to get you up and running ASAP....
November 3rd 12 07:35 PM
by Steve Terry Go to last post
2 569
Wanted: 10P10C plug by Simon Rowe
A bit OT but I'm looking for a 10P10C plug (sometimes called RJ-48/RJ-50), I need to make up a cable for a UPS I've acquired. Anyone have one? All I can find on eBay are 100 pcs from Singapore.
October 28th 12 08:34 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
7 425
At last! BT offering High-Speed Broadband! by Davey
Except they were doing no such thing. The flyer offered great Broadband and 'phone service, and sounded as though Infinity or whatever it's called was coming to this part of semi-rural East Anglia that's only half an hour's drive from Bury St. Edmunds. But no, it was just an offer of their normal Broadband service, with a Hub at a discount, and low price for three months, and a deal on...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 27th 12 01:04 AM
by Phil W Lee Go to last post
20 1,173
Relocating BT wiring and an NTE5 by rbel
We have two BT sockets, an ancient master one in the hallway and an NTE5 in a living area, a few metres from my desk, which is fed by surface wiring from the hallway master socket. While we used to have two lines/numbers, one to each master socket, the same number now applies to both sockets. The surface wiring is the typical BT surface cable stapled to skirting boards and doorway architraves...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 25th 12 09:07 AM
by PeterC Go to last post
24 2,255
DSL Stats -What do they mean? by Davey
I read here about DSL Stats, but I don't know what they actually mean. I've looked at various sites, and am still not much wiser. My ADSL is supposed to be 'up to 8Mb', and if I do a test, I usually get about 6.3 Download, 0.3 Upload. I downloaded my Stats. yesterday: ------------------------------------------------------------ DSL Connection Link Information Uptime: 35 days, 5:43:07 DSL...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 20th 12 10:58 AM
by Davey Go to last post
38 2,253
TalkTalk by Bill Borland
Hi - I have been with TT since they started (don't laugh). Bandwidth was lousy and gradually got worse over the years. But as I don't want to download films or anything like that, it sufficed for my needs - especially their free international calls (my daughter lives in Australia and my better-half seems to talk to her about nothing in particular at regular intervals). So far, so good. But...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
October 15th 12 10:13 AM
by Justin C Go to last post
12 1,149