Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Best ISP & TV providers by Joe Gold
Best ISP & TV providers : 1- Sky TV is pretty cool but for Internet it sucks as Sky has to suck and lick BT balls and begg on their knees for telephone & broadband connection for their customers :-(( so depending on BT's bully mood & mode they may hook up Sky customers or may not. 2- Virgin media is pretty cool for TV and internet, but on occasions sky may cutoff service to Virgin media...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
October 10th 11 12:55 PM
by Andy Burns Go to last post
15 640
Which ISP for FTTC ? by Andrew Benham
My exchange has just been enabled for FTTC :-) I'm currently getting my ADSL2+ from Be (with a sync speed of 5Mb/s and thus a typical download speed of 4Mb/s), and the ISP FTTC speed checkers are estimating 12Mb/s download speed. With a difference like that, I don't think I can afford not to upgrade. Looking at Be's blog (http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2011/09/update-on-fibre.html) their timescales...
October 10th 11 11:10 AM
by Andrew Benham Go to last post
6 543
BT outage by Stephen Wolstenholme
Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble for BT users? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020 Steve -- Neural network software applications, help and support.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 7th 11 07:46 PM
by Woody Go to last post
27 1,233
FTTC and ADSL Max speed by Gareth
A nearby street cabinet has had some FTTC upgrade work carried out although the service is not yet live. I've notice in the past few weeks since the work was carried out that my ADSL connection has been more stable - the modem reported noise margin has increased from about 2 or 3 to 8. The line attenuation has stayed the same but my connection has been more stable. The longest connection so...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 6th 11 09:20 AM
by Mark Go to last post
23 994
Faster Total Broadband ? by Andrew Benham
BT's retail broadband checker is now offering me "Faster Total Broadband" (a fibre product). Is this something different from BT Infinity ? The checker invites me to choose a package, and on the page that follows there's no mention of Faster Total Broadband.
October 5th 11 10:50 PM
by Andrew Benham Go to last post
1 382
HMRC website by Graham J
Submitted my VAT return last Friday. HMRC website still won't show me the acknowlegement, says "Sorry the system is unavailable, please try again later ..." Normally the acknowlegement can be viewed within a few seconds of submission. Is anybody else having this problem?
October 5th 11 07:34 PM
by Peter Able Go to last post
2 396
BT national fault by Graham J
On behalf of a BT Business broadband customer, I've just tried ringing 0845 600 7020 in order to try to report a fault. (Good ADSL sync, no PPPoA connection.) It rings indefinitely. So I rang my tame "BT Local Business" (much derided in this ng recently) contact - he says that BT has a national fault, and the helpline is overloaded and has crashed.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
October 4th 11 09:52 AM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
11 651
Netgear DGN1000 problems by
I bought a Netgear DGN1000, in an emergency, to replace my old 3com router which got more and more unreliable (wouldn't sync) after a thunderstorm. The problem with the DGN1000 is that, over about an hour or so, it takes longer and longer to load web pages etc. Eventually all requests time out, rebooting the router restores normal operation. Sync speed (reported by the router) and IP...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
October 3rd 11 09:01 PM
by alexd Go to last post
15 1,095
Plusnet and Quidco by Nick Leverton
Does anyone know, do Plusnet still give Quidco cashback for ordinary Broadband signups ? The link from Quidco seems to be broken, though it still works for broadband+phone sign-ups. Nick -- Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010) "The Internet, a sort of ersatz counterfeit of real life" -- Janet Street-Porter, BBC2, 19th March 1996
Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
October 3rd 11 05:21 PM
by Nick Leverton Go to last post
6 597
ADSL only works when phone is in use? by Ten
Hi all I wonder if anyone can help with this problem my friend is experiencing. She has recently upgraded from Wanadoo dial-up to ADSL. The ADSL was due to go live last week. She is using the silver Speedtouch USB modem (not sure what model #), and her PC is Win98 (I think SE). She only has the one phone socket in the house and the micro-filter is connected directly to that. Her phone is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 2nd 11 10:44 PM
by Tired Go to last post
26 3,885
ISP advertising changes by Jon
For thick as **** customers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15105760 Will it put a stop to idiots complaining about speeds? Will it ****. One benefit - ISP's will have to tell us what their download limits are.
October 1st 11 11:43 PM
by Andy Burns Go to last post
6 326
BT's generosity by Davey
From an article supplied by BT online: "We've recently reduced the period of time we allow for any queries relating to your payment (Advance Notice Period) from ten to six working days from the date on your bill. You don't have to do anything." Well, that's generous of them! -- Davey.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 30th 11 11:16 AM
by Michael Chare Go to last post
14 612
Plusnet reactiving old email address by Andrew Hodgson
Hi, I am wanting to sign up to a Plusnet package using an old username I used ages ago on their service with ISDN. The account has now expired, there doesn't seem to be any entries for it in DNS, but I can still see my old static IP address has a PTR record for my domain still! When I try and sign up using the web form, I am told that this account is unavailable.
September 29th 11 06:37 PM
by Andrew Hodgson Go to last post
5 440
Infinity very slight improvement by R. Mark Clayton
Another letter from BT offering Infinity. It appears the allowance for limited users has increased from 10Gb to 40Gb - good - certainly ample for my needs (no streaming films or online gaming), BUT Uplink still slugged to 2Mb/s for non unlimited customers. BT Broadband Talk lost if you switch to Infinity from other BT products. Still an engineer to install (who will doubtless refuse to work...
September 27th 11 09:43 PM
by Dave Wade Go to last post
1 553
Obtain new offers with call Bangladesh for 1p and 2p by Thomas Oliver
Obtain latest offers with range of cheap free calls to Bangladesh and other countries where different countries people talk more with family and friends at cheap and low cost calls to Bangladesh at only 1p and 2p call rate. http://www.eazytel.com/cheap-free-low-cost-call-bangladesh.php
September 21st 11 05:11 AM
by Thomas Oliver Go to last post
0 350
Rolling contracts to end by John
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/ofcom-bans-phone-and-broadband-contracts-that-renew-themselves-50005164/ About time too.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 19th 11 04:28 PM
by Andrew Benham Go to last post
47 1,967
Diagnosis required.. by The Natural Philosopher
Went to In-laws for Sunday lunch. Was wanting to show some online video to them..jerky and kept halting. Discovered router password and address and went in. SNR margin 6.5dB Attenuation 33.5dB Connection speed 2.9Mbps
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 17th 11 05:28 PM
by kraftee Go to last post
16 790
Line Rental from BT to Sky by pqtek
I have Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk for calls but Line Rental is with BT. Telephone Exchange is LLU. Very happy with the broadband and the calls packages. On cost grounds however, am considering also switching Line Rental to Sky but am concerned that by doing so, if ever I changed away from Sky that I may have a hefty (approx. £100?) charge to fork out to either BT or to A.N. Other...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 17th 11 05:25 PM
by kraftee Go to last post
22 1,545
Cannot upload to Vimeo by Peter
I wonder if anybody else has similar problems... So far, paid up $70, but have not been to upload a 500MB movie, despite a dozen tries with FF, IE, and the 3 different methods (direct, java, ajax) they provide. The data rate occassionally falls to a very low figure like 10kbytes/sec (should be 4x to 5x that) and then after a few hours it bombs out with an error message.
September 15th 11 02:45 AM
by Peter Go to last post
3 371
Orange broadband to be cheaper in rural areas by Andrew Benham
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broadband/8745026/Orange-launches- rural-broadband-discount.html """Mr Thevenot said that Orange has ‚Äúseriously considered‚ÄĚ charging by speed received, but that it was not practical because each house's wiring could be very different.""" So why not charge by (inverse) distance from the exchange then ? An ISP already has that info for its customers.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 12th 11 11:00 PM
by Steve Terry Go to last post
24 956