Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Free BT Webspace - Shut Down Warning by Dan
Challenge it now before it's too late and/or backup your website. Google any of the following, some of which are on the search engines, many many websites are going down! including my own : - ( www.btinternet.com/~ ..btinternet.co.uk ..users.btopenworld.com Most will be linked to their old BT dial-up accounts.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 23rd 12 08:45 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
16 1,190
House move by Peter
I've just booked a house move with BT - move my telephone & broadband service that is, not move my house! I wanted the move done on the 30th or 31st of July, but have been told that the earliest date available is the 16 th August. Apparently the reasons for such a late date is due to the weather and the olympics. Whan I asked what the olympics had to do with the installation of a
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 19th 12 11:57 PM
by Dean Jackson Go to last post
13 621
Mobile Internet by David
I'm out and about a bit and have a O2 dongle for my laptop, I often buy a month pay as you go and always have credit left. I loose this at the end of the the month. (The O2 home page when I connect says I can use BT Open Zone free but BT ask me for money when I'm in one.) I'm thinking of a change but are they all a rip off with the loosing your credit at the end of a period? Regards David
July 19th 12 10:47 PM
by Steve Terry Go to last post
8 675
Bit OT about Onetel boxes and broadband etc by m
I know this is a bit OT but someone here may be able to help me so have sent this here and UK.Telecomm Looking for help/advice! Have to go help friend who was originally with Onetel to get the cheap calls - especially overseas. As I understand it, the little white "Onetel" box in circuit was the carrier pre-select box when the system had to dial a prefix to access Onetel via BT line....
July 19th 12 11:08 AM
by m Go to last post
0 275
BT Vision by Peter
While placing my order to move telephone & broadband service from what will be my old address to my new address, BT tried to sell me BT Vision. Not interested at the moment, but may go for it in the future. I did ask if it was possible to have more than one BT Vision box and was told no, it isn't possible. Can't think why a second (or more) box shouldn't work - anyone got any ideas? --
July 19th 12 10:21 AM
by Brian Mc Go to last post
6 462
VirginMedia upgrades by Dave
I've been wondering about getting a SuperHub on the basis that it'll give me a speed upgrade. I've seen mention that it can be put into a dumb mode so I can do a like-for-like replacement into my existing system. Does anyone have practical experience of doing this? -- Dave Too many gadgets, too little time.
July 18th 12 09:23 PM
by Stephen Go to last post
3 239
any broadband supplier recommendations pls? by Moonraker
I am with IDNet, while they are excellent, and solve any problems rapidly I am hoping to find one cheaper, but still reliable. I am looking for broadband plus telephone with free weekend and evening calls. Any suggestions please? TIA -- Residing on low ground in North Staffordshire
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
July 18th 12 09:10 PM
by Steve Terry Go to last post
21 811
Gigabit cable routers with good firewall/routing rules by GS
We're looking to replace a BT Hub3 with another cable router (for FTTC) as we want 4 Gigabit ports instead of the Hub3's stupid 1 x gigabit + 3 x 100Mb ports, and I was wondering if Zyxel (e.g. Zyxel NBG4615) were any good since they seem to be half the price of Netgear. One thing I need is to set up specific port forwarding rules which are dependent on the remote IP address so that only...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 13th 12 12:30 AM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
12 625
Setting up G.DMT on Netgear by Jack Rabbitt
Hi All, I have been advised by my ISP to set my ADSL mode on my router to G.DMT. Not so easy as it sounds? I am using a DT834GT Neargear router - era 2006, and I cannot find the setting for this. Under the router setup settings , i only have
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
July 12th 12 01:58 PM
by Andrew Benham Go to last post
29 964
Plusnet - Just Plusnet by [email protected]
I noted several threads on this NG in June 2012 with headers along the lines of "great service from Plusnet" or "**** service from Plusnet" I'm a Plusnet customer and follwing this incident let me say, I'm not about to demand my MAC code as a result of it, and I'll be staying with them. This is however my account of an ADSL fail and the time period in which it was fixed. Plusnet have a 0800...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 11th 12 08:46 AM
by Mark Go to last post
62 1,545
OT DVI Splitter by John
I recently bought (from ebay) a DVI splitter and a long DVI to HDMI cable so I can watch iplayer and other downloaded stuff on the TV. The cable works fine but not the splitter. I have a dual DVI output and two monitors. I was hoping to use the splitter so the 2nd monitor and the TV showed the same output, but all I get is a blank screen, not just on the TV but on the monitor as well. I have...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
July 7th 12 06:31 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
14 1,057
FTTC from BT by Gordon Freeman
I've been told at the place I work that BT Connect are apparently offering them FTTC for the same price as their ADSL apart from a nominal setup fee, but in the past whenever they've promised us something would be the same price or cheaper it has always ended up more expensive, so I wondered if anyone knows if they are definitely doing ADSL to FTTC changeovers for no increased cost? There's...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 7th 12 12:55 AM
by Graham. Go to last post
30 1,616
Copyright download question by Graham J
I've been asked to advise about an accusation that a user has downloaded copyright material. The accusation comes from the ISP, but in turn they rely on a "Take Down notice from an organisation or individual which states they are the rights holder, or represent the rights holder" - without saying who this is. Later the line: Complainant: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation Infringement...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 4th 12 09:28 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
62 1,806
Choosing between low power servers by Peter
I wonder if I could have some opinions on this... At work we have a low-use www/email server, which is a big old 3GHz PC with a SCSI HD. It draws about 300W and makes a lot of noise. We also have a backup server on another site; identical to the 1st one. We are looking at getting rid of these old boxes before they seize up, and also to reduce the power because we get power cuts here and a UPS
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
July 1st 12 01:25 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
20 782
FTTC - 1500 metres too far ? by Andrew Benham
A friend of mine has just had FTTC installed, and isn't happy because he's getting worse speeds than he had with ADSL. I estimate that he's 1500 metres from the cabinet, BT Infinity's checker gives his line an estimated speed of 11.4 Mb/s on "Faster Total Broadband", and 3 Mb/s on ADSL. He's getting speeds of 2 - 3 MB/s on FTTC, which sounds bad. I rather think that 1500 metres is too far for...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 29th 12 08:57 PM
by Andy Burns Go to last post
27 1,108
Tiscali mail server - more delays by Harry Bloomfield
On the inbound server - sent times to received times were running at around 3 to 6 hours delay last evening. This morning it seems to be about a 1 hour delay. -- Regards, Harry (M1BYT) (L) http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
June 28th 12 01:00 PM
by Harry Bloomfield Go to last post
0 258
Copyright download question by martin goose
Some infromation about a previous instance of this type of action can be found he http://beingthreatened.yolasite.com/ More current information can be found he http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=66 -- Martin Goose --- "Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse, so as to
June 27th 12 08:11 AM
by martin goose Go to last post
0 218
Great Service from Plusnet yet again by James
I posted about a speed problem I was having, on the Plusnet Forum at 9.23 this morning Within 24 minutes at 9.47 a member of the Plusnet staff posted to say they'd done the necessary tweaking to my connection and had restored my speed Which they had.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 25th 12 10:11 AM
by Roderick Stewart Go to last post
97 2,275
strange connection problem by Martin Smith
One of my clients, a small organisation, decided, without consulting me, to change their ISP to save money, they were previously with BT for many years with no problems, they are now with a company called onebillnet. These people supplied a speedtouch modem which I was minded just to bin and carry on using the netgear which we had been using previously. Unfortunately the netgear, a DGN1000...
June 24th 12 08:11 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
9 440
"Disappointing" speeds by Bob
Moved over to BT Infinity Option 2 about 4 weeks ago, after being given a quoted speed estimate of 38.6Mbps, which was borne out by the first week's sped test results. But after a couple of weeks, speeds yoyo'd, dropping down to 9Mbps and have now stabilised at around 30-31Mbps. Now, I do recognise that this is still way faster than I was enjoying with my previous supplier. However, it's...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
June 18th 12 10:17 PM
by brightside S9 Go to last post
27 1,352