Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Zen on the Ball! by Davey
My Zen service runs from Day 1 of the month to the last day of the month. In the middle of November, I received a message from them to tell me that I had used more than 50% of my allotted download allowance. No problem, and indeed helpful. Yesterday, the last day of November, I received another message to say that I had used up 77.91% of my monthly allowance! If this had been using paper and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
December 29th 11 10:53 AM
by ICUKNet Go to last post
18 1,527
WPPLTD.DEMON.CO.UK - still up to date? by Jon
Hello all, I Know Peter Parry used to be around these groups and hosts this site, regarding specifically UK telephone wiring. Tell me, is the info contained herein still up to date? http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html If Peter himself is still around perhaps he could comment?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 28th 11 09:15 AM
by Jon Go to last post
14 927
Kind of OT - dialup by Timmy
A friend wants to continue to use dial up to access email and the odd website. Apparently she was on TalkTalk and it stopped working, it took some time to be told they have stopped dialup accounts. Any recommendations for a pay per use dialup ISP as she doesn't feel the need for a monthly account ?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
December 24th 11 02:24 PM
by Bob Eager Go to last post
20 1,412
slightly [OT] - Jumbo Frames question by DDS
Hello A quick Google search confused me rather than helped ... if a device can have an MTU value set for it (a NAS box in this case), is that the same as saying that the jumbo frame size will equal the MTU size? If so, and I enable jumbo frame handling (knowing that the switch and NIC are OK with jumbo frames on a Gb interface), can I assume that the frame size can be increased by...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 23rd 11 05:28 PM
by David Woodhouse Go to last post
10 859
Slow broadband is such a pain by Martin Jay
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16038102: ----- Begin Quote ----- Twenty-five-year-old Hayley Gaffney is one of around 200 people taking part in the Cornwall trial. Until she got the 4G broadband she was only getting speeds of just over 1Mbps.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
December 22nd 11 11:58 PM
by Deux Go to last post
27 1,944
Decent 4 port ADSL2+ G or N router by Andy Cap
My Netgear DG834GT is showing sign of giving up. Google seems to point to failing caps but perhaps that's for later. All I'd like is good reliability and fairly straight-forward menus. Everything I look at has reviews that seem fairly balanced between great and crap, with a scattering in between. So the question is, does a really reliable box exist, with decent wireless to reach around my...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
December 22nd 11 05:47 PM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
13 1,061
Broadband problem by Scott
Sorry to be asking such vague questions to a technical newsgroup. My friend has been having ongoing problems with TalkTalk broadband. It's just not working at all. She has tried resetting and it works for a short time then goes faulty again. She was advised to replace the microfilters because they are 'short life components'. I wondered: 1 Is a microfilter needed at all for broadband? I...
Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
December 22nd 11 03:28 AM
by Cokyscootte Go to last post
9 953
Classic First Post by Pharmanaut
Hi all! Just put a PC together for a mate and he's looking at broadband. Any idea where to go? The market looks chaotic at the moment. Need free modem, free connection and a minimum of 512Kbs.. Pharm.. -- Drop the dex to reply.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
December 20th 11 09:47 PM
by just42night Go to last post
10 1,786
Orange BB locked at 0.5MBps, router says 8MBps attainable by WCZ
Hello, My other half is on Orange BB with an up to 8Mbps contract. However, it looks like the line has been provisioned at 0.5Mbps fixed rate rather than ADSL Max. According to Sam Knows, the exchange supports ADSL Max so I guess I just need to get Orange to do *something* to convert the line from fixed rate to max. The router stats currently show 576 down, 288 up with enormous SNR...
Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
December 20th 11 01:55 PM
by kraftee Go to last post
4 751
Multiple IPs by Andrew Chapman
I'm with Zen and have a block of eight IPs. One is broadcast xx.xx.xx.248; one is the ADSL router xx.xx.xx.247 and one is the network xx.xx.xx.240. That leaves five addresses 241 - 246 for use. I have a Draytek 2820 router which allows me to use these addresses either via NAT or directly routed IP. Eight IP's is the smallest subnet that is really practical. Four IP's wastes three on the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
December 19th 11 11:40 AM
by David Woodhouse Go to last post
37 2,037
DSL poor speed conundrum by DDS
Hello Question: How shall I persuade BT to investigate a problem with the line from my house to their exchange? Background: All of the DSL line speed predictions give a reasonable estimate of the speed I actually get. Online tests show that I am getting that speed (upto 3Mbps service)The speed in question is approx. 1.5 - 2Mbps which corresponds with the service estimate.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
December 19th 11 09:05 AM
by Roldlotte Go to last post
29 1,763
Pipex - Additional Dial Up for Existing ADSL Subscribers by JD
This service is advertised on the Pipex website for an additional 6 - but it says calls are at local rate. Am I missing something? I was hoping to get a roaming dial so I could use internet whilst at friends/family and I thought an additional 6 per month with free calls would be ideal - until I read the smallprint. I'll ring the salesdesk tomorrow, however in the meantime - any comments, or
Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
December 17th 11 12:52 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
6 897
DHCP reservation with VMDG280 by Chris Hills
Hi I have a virgin media router, and I have heard somebody mention that for some reason you cannot create a dhcp reservation for a mac address starting with anything except '00'. That sounds a bit fanciful, but it's the best explanation I have heard yet. I have tried posting on their forum but I have not yet had a reply. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
December 15th 11 08:28 PM
by Graham. Go to last post
2 927
Gaps in tones on ADSL router - question by Mike Tomlinson
I'm currently using a BT Voyager 2110 router, picked up at a car boot sale for 50p. This is quite configurable and works with the DMT utility: http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ Out of the box, the modem synced at ~13500 kbps. I've been experimenting with the telnet interface and the adslctl command to eke a bit more out of it, working to get a target SNR of 3.1dB. Any lower and
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
December 15th 11 08:02 AM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
22 1,217
Changes to BT BRAS rates by River Tarnell
The ISP Andrews & Arnold just posted this status message regarding the way BT handle BRAS rates: In short, rather than arbitrarily restricting the download speed of ADSL lines (sometimes losing up to 1Mbps compared to the sync speed), the download speed will be the same as the sync speed, and won't take days to fix itself after the...
Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
December 14th 11 09:04 PM
by alexd Go to last post
8 676
Anyone having problems with Google? by Deux
I've noticed lately that when I search for something on Google I'll get redirected to the US version a couple of seconds after seeing the search results I want to see. e.g. on Google Product search I search for something and see some prices in GBP, then suddenly it will redirect to the US version and I see prices in dollars. I can usually go back by changing the URL. Or if I search for an...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
December 13th 11 06:14 PM
by Adrian C Go to last post
19 888
Easyspace hosting any issues? by The Natural Philosopher
I need a virtual server and easyspace seems to fulfil the requirements on paper.... Anyone know of any reason NOT to use em?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
December 13th 11 11:39 AM
by Andrew Chapman Go to last post
10 1,040
Where are you from ? by killoyan
Where are you from ? Just wondering, who on the forum
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
December 12th 11 01:20 PM
by www.GymRatZ.co.uk Go to last post
15 957
New upcoming group by sa mm
Hi!! A group of energetic young lads have started developing apps for mobiles. Soon they will start launching their apps on their website http://www.apps0.com/ Keep looking at this space for more updates. Thanks mm
Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
December 11th 11 12:03 AM
by Graham. Go to last post
3 688
FTTC by David
Sam Knows says "FTTC status: RFS date set : 01/12/2011" for my exchange. We now passed that what usually happens? Eg do BT offer FTTC to people, maybe own customers first etc. Regards David
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
December 8th 11 01:22 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
85 2,649
Post New Thread

Display Options
Showing threads 1001 to 1020 of 17639