Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Replacing some Draytek 2900 routers by Peter
I posted this on the seg.co.uk Draytek support site but as usual nobody responds. I run a couple of sites. Each one has a 2900Gi router. These are used for normal internet access, with some port forwarding and some packet filtering to allow SMTP email delivery only from a small number of Messageslabs IPs. Both have WIFI enabled. I also run an IPSEC VPN between them, which was an absolute pig to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 6th 11 09:28 PM
by Graham J Go to last post
19 949
Bad Weather - Unplug Router ? (Plusnet) by Mike
Used to have Sky broadband and unplugged router on occasions especially if bad weather expected, no problems upon reconnection. Since changing to Plusnet I have kept the router on 24hrs. Plusnet "blurb" indicates they want the equipment to remain "ON" 24hrs, but don't say what would happen if users don't keep to this or what to do in the event of a lightning storm. What do other Plusnet...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 5th 11 12:37 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
13 989
Cheap broadband/phone packages by Andrew Hodgson
Hi all, Currently I am with A&A and have been on the same package for around 6 years. I run email from home (Exchange), and everything is working fine. Due to moving house at some point in the next few months, I want to get a broadband package in for the parents that will provide both phone and broadband on the same bill. We are in a rural area, but Talktalk have come to our door recently...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 5th 11 12:36 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
20 1,093
FTTC query by Peter Crosland
Can any Openreach engineer tell me if the voice part of the signal to the FTTC cabinet is over copper or fibre. This may sound a silly question but I have had conflicting answers to the question and would like a definitive answer TIA Peter Crosland
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 5th 11 11:31 AM
by Mark Go to last post
30 2,126
find men by Kim
Thousands of local single women looking for men are waiting online to meet their a href="http://www.adultfindout.co.uk" target="_blank"find men/a singles lifetime companion What are you waiting for Take action today.
September 5th 11 09:23 AM
by Kim Go to last post
0 376
Anyone live in Gringley on the Hill ? by Andrew Benham
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/networking/2011/08/30/three-gives-villages- free-mobile-broadband-40093793/
September 2nd 11 10:51 AM
by Theo Markettos Go to last post
3 498
I Read People leaving Be. by David
I read that people were leaving Be due to them not having a fiber product, I really am surprised people leaving Be as I'm very happy with the LLU they get to me via BT copper wire. (I can see that many other ISPs offer a cheaper service and wonder if that is why people moving but of course here I read of problems all the time with these cheaper ISPs.) So if these people leaving because of no...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 2nd 11 08:19 AM
by flyeruk Go to last post
49 2,720
Speed tests: are they actually worth anything? by Peter Boulding
I've just run (well, at around 5:30pm) a series of speed tests offered by different sites... one straight after another. Results below, but first, details of my setup: ISP: Plus Net, "Broadband Your Way Option 2" -- a legacy package, originally 8Mbit, but now upgraded to ADSL2+ by agreement with Plus Net. I live about half a mile from my local exchange; used to connect at around 7.5Mbits with IP...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 1st 11 06:22 PM
by Andy Furniss Go to last post
40 1,912
Lies, damned lies and router statistics. by Peter Crosland
This might be sub-titled SWMBO technophobia. A friend who is not very technically minded asked me to recommend a new ADSL router. He was running a 2Wire 2700HGV because he is on a rural exchange and has a long line. This has given excellent service almost non stop for three years. My friend's SWMBO does not like wires and is very fussy about the colour of domestic items. The arrival of...
September 1st 11 08:54 AM
by Peter Able Go to last post
8 455
OpenDNS's DNS server down? by Harry Bloomfield
As per subject, cannot seem to be able to ping their DNS server this evening. 208.67.222.220 + 222 -- Regards, Harry (M1BYT) (L) http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
August 28th 11 05:30 PM
by Harry Bloomfield Go to last post
7 609
BT Infinity by David
Found this this morning not noticed if it been mentioned. http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/assets/fibre_map/index.html Interestingly my Exchange is listed as getting it and last I heard from BT was that my exchange would not be. Regards David
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 28th 11 12:31 AM
by Graham. Go to last post
34 2,458
Infinity installation on master socket or not? by Bob
A colleague is looking into getting BT Infinity installed, but she lives in a tall house, with a master socket on the ground floor and the study on the third floor. At present, she has a router attached to the built-in extension socket in the study, so there's no need for trailing wires all over the place. She definitely doesn't want to run cables up from the ground floor, and would rather...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 25th 11 08:00 PM
by kraftee Go to last post
13 894
Skype introduces Web connectivity - at a price .... by CJB
Ever since MS took over Skype I've been getting nagging flash screens that seem impossible to get rid of in order to actually use Skype. The latest was to advertise a new service of web / Internet connectivity at 10p a minute. That's about 6 an hour - that's expensive. But then I thought what's the point. On a PC or laptop probably with wifi you need a connection to the Internet to use Skype in...
August 25th 11 05:33 AM
by Steve Terry Go to last post
3 764
Mobile broadband dongle for Linux? by David W EEE Roberts
A quick search of this NG doesn't seem to offer any recent information. I would like mobile broadband for my ASUS EEE PC and also to be able to use the same dongle with my Win2K portable. Most mobile offerings claim to support Windows and Mac. Do they all work with Linux - or some/none? Any recommendations?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 24th 11 08:29 PM
by cockneyreject Go to last post
10 834
TalkTalk fined 3m by chris
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14569918 I'm sure this'll hearten a few people on here.
August 21st 11 09:41 PM
by Andy Champ Go to last post
7 525
ISP reports a Torpig infection - where from? by Peter
I just got an email from my ISP (ZEN) reporting that something on my (fixed) IP is infected. Their report, on which they have no additional detail, came from an un-named 3rd party. I have scanned every machine we have with several programs (Malwarebytes, TDSSkiller, etc) http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684 and nothing has been found.
August 21st 11 07:26 AM
by Peter Go to last post
9 999
P-660HW-T1 v2 WIFI and FTP by Dave Saville
I have the above with what I believe is the latest firmware. V3.40(AXL.1) | 11/21/2007 I have a thinkpad that connects via wireless. All is OK until I try and do a binary FTP of a large file when the router reboots itself every time after transferring about 5K. With a wired connection the file transfers fine - as expected. -- Regards Dave Saville
August 19th 11 09:54 PM
by alexd Go to last post
4 510
Telephone spam by Graham J
My sister recently ordered a phone line and ADSL from Zen - it started working last Friday, after Openreach had screwed up the installation date a couple of times. Within 2 days she received the typical spam phone call claiming to come from Microsoft. Do you think Zen are selling their new phone numbers to the spammers? Or perhaps Openreach is doing so? -- Graham J
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 19th 11 09:43 PM
by J B Go to last post
48 1,381
Bloody Pipex/Tiscali/whatever! by PeterC
BB OK yesterday a.m; no connection yesterday noon. Checked loadsathings, including a cloned HDD from 3 days ago. Zoom PCI ADSL2 modem told me: Call status connected Line status ADSL connection established Attempting to activate line Training Channel analysis Exchange
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
August 15th 11 08:22 PM
by snot Go to last post
18 840
Radio Control interference to FTTC by Tony Mountifield
Yesterday afternoon the kids in a family in our street were playing with a radio controlled car. I noticed them out of the window of my home office. The next thing I noticed was that my FTTC modem's DSL light was flashing as it had lost sync. It regained sync when they paused for a short while, only to lose it again when they continued driving the car around. The one with the transmitter happened...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 15th 11 09:57 AM
by Bob Brewer Go to last post
36 1,244