Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
How can plusnet be so different by Beagle
So, after asking in here about Tesco and Plusnet I opted to go to plusnet, I'll skip the balls up they made of the sign up :( Plusnet seems to be complete kak, frequent timeouts at all hours of the day, unable to connect to mail servers, images not loading. Fair to say no part of it seems to work properly. I'm now doubting the wisdom of my phone being moved to them tomorrow. What I don't...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 10th 12 06:59 PM
by Beagle Go to last post
25 1,335
NAT friendly VPN by Theo Markettos
Can anyone recommend a good VPN protocol? Specifically I want something that: a) works through NAT (potentially double NAT) where I have no control over the NAT server (no port forwarding possible) b) allows inbound connections from the VPN to a box behind NAT c) is resistant to a hostile NAT (eg one that drops connections after they've been idle for 30 seconds)
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
October 10th 12 01:59 PM
by Chris Davies Go to last post
11 733
Devious goings on? by PeterL
A few days ago we decided to sign up for fibre broadband with Plusnet. Almost straightaway, we lost our connection. When it came back up, our otherwise rock-solid 2Mb download speed became 1Mb, which the provider told us, was the result of line re-training. They say the speed should go back up over the course of the next 9 days. Pure coincidence?!?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 10th 12 01:32 PM
by Plusnet Support Team Go to last post
25 1,126
Best way to extract and send ~10k emails by Peter
This is a genuine requirement, not spam... I need to first extract email addresses from a huge (1GB) text file which is in unix format (LF between lines, not CRLF) and which was produced by exporting emails from the Agent email program. That could be done with sed etc, but I need to de-duplicate the stuff too. The extraction needs to dump any names so e.g with
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
October 8th 12 02:05 PM
by Mark Go to last post
23 1,310
ADSL2+ wireless N router by rbel
My second 2Wire 2700 has died and I am currently running on my backup somewhat elderly Draytek Vigor 2500. While looking for a replacement it occurs to me that perhaps I should consider an ADSL 2+ wireless router that will also handle BT fibre next year when the local exchange is due to be upgraded. The other basic requirement is for wireless N. I would like keep to the one box solution rather...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 8th 12 01:53 PM
by Mark Go to last post
40 1,831
Problem With Broadband Disconnecting by Mr Simon
Hi all, Would appreciate any input on the following! A friend is having repeated problems with their broadband disconnecting. We've tried a replacement router, filter and RJ-11 lead - and things persist! It seems at the moment, the problem occurs when a fax is sent/received
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 28th 12 10:39 PM
by kraftee Go to last post
23 1,276
Cheapest hosting for 50GB/month website? by Peter
I just wonder how much that would cost these days. I notice that most ISPs do not meter UPloads so one could probably do it on an ADSL line, especially if you paid the extra tenner for the 800kbit/sec UP speed. Then it would be about £30/month (ZEN, etc). A friend is on BT fibre ADSL and has 80mbits/sec down and 20mbits/sec up, which would definitely do the job :) The application is a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 26th 12 12:26 AM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
17 1,547
Can anyone recommend an ADSL modem/router that supports the iPad VPN client by Trust No One®
Hi everyone, I avoid using my iPad Wifi hotspots such as Starbucks, KFC and London Underground, due to the very real possibility of being hacked. I do use my Netbook with BT Openzone as they provide a VPN client software. Unfortunately the VPN profile provided by BTOpenzone for the iPad simply does not work. I am considerig changing my ADSL modem/router (currently an old but trusty
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 24th 12 09:06 AM
by Peter Go to last post
10 1,132
End of Orange Free Broadband by Victor Delta
Like many others recently, I've just received notification that my free broadband from Orange (on the back of a mobile phone contract) is coming to an end shortly (although curiously the email and letter notifications given totally different end dates!) Leaving aside the merits/demerits of Orange's broadband service and/or whether Orange can do this to it's customers (one of the T&Cs is that...
September 21st 12 11:52 PM
by fred Go to last post
6 1,001
Tesco or Plusnet? by Beagle
Like most these days, looking to reduce outgoings a bit and top of the list at the moment is phone and broadband. Currently, phone is with BT and broadband with Madasafish. Don't have any problem with either (apart from cost). Looking to bundle together with either Tesco or Plusnet. Rarely use the home phone and if I do it's during the day (18185) does either of them allow overrides?...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 20th 12 11:01 PM
by alexd Go to last post
66 5,118
Free wi-fi and superfast Broadband by David
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/9938262.Bradford_gets___14_4m_for_broadband_project/ "In addition, it offers free city centre wireless service, wireless connectivity for passengers on trains and buses between Bradford and Leeds, and wireless community hubs focusing on libraries." Will this mean people living in these areas get absolutely free Internet? Anyone living in the...
September 20th 12 01:00 PM
by George Weston Go to last post
2 490
Mailing list provider by Theo Markettos
Can anyone recommend a free host for a simple, low traffic, mailing list? Doesn't need any fancy features, but something that doesn't require messing about with setting up user accounts to subscribe (eg Yahoo), have broken web interfaces (eg Google Groups), anything that's too heavy with adverts, complicated integration with things I don't want (eg Facebook), or just likely to screw things up on...
September 16th 12 06:38 PM
by David Gibson Go to last post
9 717
ADSL2 sync speed/SNR diurnal variation by Martin Brown
Hello! What is the normal expected level of variation seen in sync speed and noise level over a 24 hour period? I just measured mine and was surprised by the results (numbers rounded). In summary Daytime sync is 5200+/-100 with 6dB noise SNR starts to degrade from 18:00 to 20:00 roughly in line with local sunset and when it hits 4dB retraining drops back to 4400 and steady.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 16th 12 01:50 PM
by Dave Saville Go to last post
53 2,795
Fast but Slow by Tullyderrin
I'm really fed-up. My broadband is really annoying me. Just done a speed test and it's massive - 37.6 Mb down, 11 Mb up on BT Infinity2. That should be fine -surely everything should work just perfectly, so why does BBC say I have no bandwidth to stream and websites take an age to load. I've been using Firefox recently switched back to IE9 but to be honest they are both crap. Tullyderrin
September 15th 12 11:41 PM
by Tullyderrin Go to last post
0 724
Tiscali outgoing mail server by Harry Bloomfield
Anyone know what has happened to tiscali's (TalkTalk) outgoing email server please? Inbound is working, but outgoing is just sat there in my outbox. I'm using smtp.tiscali.co.uk as the outgoing server. -- Regards, Harry (M1BYT) (L) http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
September 12th 12 10:02 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
6 2,267
Orange broadband down? by Jon Parker
My router shows a DHCP-assigned WAN IP address and DNS servers, but no data will pass. Several router re-boots are not having an effect. Couple of mates also on Orange with same scenario. Anyone know what's going on? I've tried callign Orange but after 30 minutes I gave up and they have thier "Extermely busy" recorded voice on instead of the ususal "we are receiving a high volume of calls"...
September 12th 12 07:38 PM
by Martin Brown Go to last post
1 401
Moving cordless phone base away from modem by john ryan
My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless Phone transmitter base. We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on average, not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket. we have an I-plate on the bt...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 12th 12 07:31 PM
by The Natural Philosopher Go to last post
45 2,508
Cabling question by Scott
I am getting a very good broadband speed and also getting a new bathroom. The point of my question is that the telephone cable runs through the bathroom so there is an opportunity to replace it. The line enters the building from a telegraph pole and is connected to a lozenge shaped box marked 'GPO'. A cable (which is round but not thick) runs to a second box marked 'T' then a similar cable...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 10th 12 03:32 AM
by Phil W Lee Go to last post
21 1,437
Internet access via laptop/ntebook dongle and cell-phone network? by N_Cook
A UK data carrier with a pay-as-you-go scheme that does not have automatic expiry of the SIM or whatever after 3 months. Perhaps a small nominal "re-registration" fee every 6 months or something. Totally divorced from any mobile phone account - a stand-alone PC-dongle for rare "mobile" www access.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 )
September 9th 12 03:56 PM
by Stephen Wolstenholme Go to last post
10 864
Skype hijack by Davey
Did you really give my name to Skype to ask me to join it, or is this a scam? Did they steal your e-mail address? Davey. To which she replied: I was as surprised as you were! I have joined Skype so that I can keep in touch quicker and cheaper with my sister and a friend in Zambia and never expected my BT phone
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 )
September 8th 12 01:47 PM
by Steve Terry Go to last post
28 1,828